Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I love Ronald Jones too. If we decide to go CB in the first I think Jones would be there in second. Maybe something like Ward at one then Jones with our second. I could live with that. :)

Yeah, Jones is a bit lighter than Penny, so I put them on the same tier.  I actually like them more than Michel, but I didn’t see the championship game and I know many think he’s #2/3.  So I’m thinking any of those three plus Guice are my top guys.  Johnson is tougher for me.  I like the way he runs and other things about him, I just can’t decide if he’d fit our scheme.  Or rather, if our scheme (and oline) is the best one for him.  Think he’d still be an upgrade though, and could work out great for us.  

Point being, I could envision a case where 3-4 of those guys are available and we’d feel comfortable trading back again.  

I can understand why you’d want to land a corner in the first (potentially losing Fuller and Breeland weakened this unit a lot), but I’d prefer DL/ILB/OL in the first.  Maybe grab a mid round corner to compete with Dunbar, Moreau and Holsey for the #2/3 spots.  

I would like Ronald Jones in the 2nd.  I don't think he's worth more than that.  He's really hard to tackle when defenders go higher, he'll shrug off tacklers around his torso.  But get a hand on a leg and he'll trip pretty easily.  He doesn't seem able to recover after having his stride messed up.  He does have one thing we clearly don't have.  That's him hitting a hole with authority, he's got some legit burst.

26 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I would like Ronald Jones in the 2nd.  I don't think he's worth more than that.  He's really hard to tackle when defenders go higher, he'll shrug off tacklers around his torso.  But get a hand on a leg and he'll trip pretty easily.  He doesn't seem able to recover after having his stride messed up.  He does have one thing we clearly don't have.  That's him hitting a hole with authority, he's got some legit burst.

Yep. I didn’t even bother watching the heavier backs considered more bruisers without the burst and solid top end speed that we really need.  

Guice is the only guy I’m automatically pulling the trigger on with our 2nd.  After that, I’d prefer a trade back before taking a back... unless maybe there’s a run on them.  Under normal circumstances, I’m not panicking and drafting a position of need if a run takes place - if the remaining guys aren’t BPA.  This year though, our run game needs serious help and passing on a strong RB class (again) might be detrimental.  

The more I think about it, the above is actually a really good reason to pick up a good FA back - McKinnon or Hyde maybe.  Prevents us forcing a pick, and allows us better competition and depth if we do still draft a guy.  

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I love Ronald Jones too. If we decide to go CB in the first I think Jones would be there in second. Maybe something like Ward at one then Jones with our second. I could live with that. :)

Hopefully it doesn't go down like Walterfootball's mock.  http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2018_2.php 

Big run at running back early 2nd round right before our pick -- Michel, K. Johnson, R. Jones, K. Johnson, Guice, Chubb all gone.

49 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

The more I think about it, the above is actually a really good reason to pick up a good FA back - McKinnon or Hyde maybe.  Prevents us forcing a pick, and allows us better competition and depth if we do still draft a guy.  

I would love McKinnon. He's a great back and not much tread on the tyres.

44 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Still say we should stick to building lines in the first 2 rounds, LG and NT for me. 

HTTR 

But how essential is a LG?
Why can't you find one on day 3? Maybe even the third round. 

Just looked: none of the fourth round guards from the past two years have done anything. I still say wait for the third or develop someone super raw.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully it doesn't go down like Walterfootball's mock.  http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2018_2.php 

Big run at running back early 2nd round right before our pick -- Michel, K. Johnson, R. Jones, K. Johnson, Guice, Chubb all gone.

They also have Maurice Hurst falling all the way to the 51st pick so take it with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In that scenario, a trade back in the 1st becomes even more beneficial - you could maybe feel a bit better about trading a 5th or something to bump up in the 2nd.  Penny’s an option there too.  I’d be surprised if we got caught on the tail end of that run though, but you never know.  

51 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I would love McKinnon. He's a great back and not much tread on the tyres.

Don’t know much about the guy, but signings that help with draft flexibility are usual a positive.  

46 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

But how essential is a LG?
Why can't you find one on day 3? Maybe even the third round. 

Just looked: none of the fourth round guards from the past two years have done anything. I still say wait for the third or develop someone super raw.

I agree with this.  I’m not sure a high pick at guard help you more than a back would (or a receiver or well rounded TE even in terms of helping the run and pass game.  

Going back to the FA helping the draft, picking up Taylor and Bergstrom would be really cheap options to help along our decision making at LG/DL.  Neither are ideal of course, but I’d be happier than if we have to force a pick or start Hood or a young OL that isn’t ready (Catalina/Kalis for example). 

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

In that scenario, a trade back in the 1st becomes even more beneficial - you could maybe feel a bit better about trading a 5th or something to bump up in the 2nd.  Penny’s an option there too.  I’d be surprised if we got caught on the tail end of that run though, but you never know.  

Don’t know much about the guy, but signings that help with draft flexibility are usual a positive.  

I agree with this.  I’m not sure a high pick at guard help you more than a back would (or a receiver or well rounded TE even in terms of helping the run and pass game.  

Going back to the FA helping the draft, picking up Taylor and Bergstrom would be really cheap options to help along our decision making at LG/DL.  Neither are ideal of course, but I’d be happier than if we have to force a pick or start Hood or a young OL that isn’t ready (Catalina/Kalis for example). 

Besides Barkely who is out of reach.  My favorite backs are Guice, Michel and R. Jones.  Judging by mocks (which could be wrong) the only one who has a fighting chance to still be available at the 13th pick in the 2nd round is Jones. 

But yeah, trading down should yield one of these guys.  Though Vea is really tempting and for him you likely have to stay put at 13.  Though if mocks are on to something, Payne could be had later in the first perhaps.   I go back and forth between running backs and run stoppers.

20 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

He's been sat behind Adrian Peterson/Latavius Murray most of the time so he doesn't have nearly as much wear on him as most RBs coming off their rookie deals.

He's way too much like Chris Thompson for us to sign, but he's fun to watch. Definitely more of a 3rd down back than a feature back. Good hands, shifty, and VERY quick. I don't think he's actually as good as Thompson to be fair though.

I have a feeling we're going to pick up Guice in the draft anyway though - Those Buffalo picks should be the target for a trade down.

With the Smith trade, it actually puts the team more in the drivers’ seat come April:

they sign AS Cheaper than Cousins, who if nothing else is an savvy veteran who understands how to play the position.

cousins gets set free to the league and one of the teams picking in front of the skins will *probably* scoop him and arguably overpay for him, thus freeing at least one top tier QB prospect to be sitting right around 13.  The skins could take that QB and still develop them over the next two years or so.

or buffalo or jacksonville etc might have their eye on someone and the skins are in a great spot to trade back... ahead of the cardinals...

A late 1st round WR might be a consideration, or d line... Vea, Davenport maybe... with even one extra pick in late 1st or 2nd round there is talent avail at all levels of need, RB, DT, OG, CB, WR, QB even.  

You gotta figure that the team scouts saw something in the later round QB projects in Mike White, Kyle Lualetta (sp?) etc, with their senior bowl performances.  They also probably saw that none of these prospects, at least the top prospects, that will be avail for the skins, are anywhere near ready to lead an NFL team, but with a vet who had a near MVP season, he could teach any of them well.  Luke Faulk also has potential, and anyone remember Kyle Allen?  Are we talking about him at all??  Many different ways to go to solidify the most important position for the franchise.

more random thoughts: if we pass on Christian Kirk, we are going to regret it.  Baby Beckham they say... could be a Tyreek hill type...!?  A top tier pass catcher opposite Doctson will be crucial... he’s up there.

RB: what about bo Scarborough in the 4th or so?  Jaylon Samuels??  Kalen Ballage?  John Kelly started over Kamara in the SEC and had some solid games.  I dig the McKinnon idea too, now with more cap space we can go after some of these FAs, and when we do, we’ll have a better idea how this will all shake out obviously.

15 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

With the Smith trade, it actually puts the team more in the drivers’ seat come April:

they sign AS Cheaper than Cousins, who if nothing else is an savvy veteran who understands how to play the position.

cousins gets set free to the league and one of the teams picking in front of the skins will *probably* scoop him and arguably overpay for him, thus freeing at least one top tier QB prospect to be sitting right around 13.  The skins could take that QB and still develop them over the next two years or so.

or buffalo or jacksonville etc might have their eye on someone and the skins are in a great spot to trade back... ahead of the cardinals...

A late 1st round WR might be a consideration, or d line... Vea, Davenport maybe... with even one extra pick in late 1st or 2nd round there is talent avail at all levels of need, RB, DT, OG, CB, WR, QB even.  

You gotta figure that the team scouts saw something in the later round QB projects in Mike White, Kyle Lualetta (sp?) etc, with their senior bowl performances.  They also probably saw that none of these prospects, at least the top prospects, that will be avail for the skins, are anywhere near ready to lead an NFL team, but with a vet who had a near MVP season, he could teach any of them well.  Luke Faulk also has potential, and anyone remember Kyle Allen?  Are we talking about him at all??  Many different ways to go to solidify the most important position for the franchise.

more random thoughts: if we pass on Christian Kirk, we are going to regret it.  A top tier pass catcher opposite Doctson will be crucial.

RB: what about bo Scarborough in the 4th or so?  Jaylon Samuels??  Kalen Ballage?  I dig the McKinnon idea too, now with more cap space we can go after some of these FAs, and when we do, we’ll have a better idea how this will all shake out obviously.

I would rather have Hyde than McKinnon. And add a WR like Jordan Matthews. Then go BPA in draft. Would love a trade back into late teens. 

Can't do anything before the combine. Some RBs will show crazy speed and rise, some will be slower than you'd think and fall. Production and game tape be damned. I also stick by my opinion that offense and skill players will shoot up too far. 

Can't do anything before the combine. Some RBs will show crazy speed and rise, some will be slower than you'd think and fall. Production and game tape be damned. I also stick by my opinion that offense and skill players will shoot up too far. 

I’ve got a mid round sleeper RB for u skin fans.  Mark Walton Miami.  He’ll need to be checked out medically because he suffered a significant ankle injury last year.  Don’t think he can consistently carry it 25 times a game but put him in a platoon situation and look out. He looks like he can even pick up the blitz.  Diamond in the rough.  

If Buffalo wants Mayfield or Allen and one of those guys is there when we pick at #13, the only way I'm not sprinting to the podium with the trade  card is if Roquan Smith is there. MAYBE Vita Vea. Both could be absolutely dynamic on our defense. But I have a feeling that Buffalo, or anyone looking to move up for a QB, is going to be slightly overpaying for the value of #13. 

So yes, I'd trade back from #13 with Buffalo if they offered #21 and #22 ... and I'd also take #21 and their 2nd and 3rd if that's what they're offering.

I see 3 "true needs" to become a stout offense and improved defense. I have a feeling we'll address ILB with re-signing Brown. And unless we go sign a Jerrick McKinnon or Andrew Norwell ... those "impactful needs" are a LG, RB and a "piece" on the defense. ILB, FS, DT ... doesn't matter. I like where we're positioned in general on defense but adding an early pick there would help solidify things. Give me 21 and 22 and suddenly those picks coupled with our 2nd really put us in the thick of where BPA would line up with need and those impactful positions. Guice or Michel would need to find their way onto our roster. Then if we can get a Guard (Billy Price or Isaiah Winn or maybe Will Hernandez if its not too early in the 2nd) ... and then a defender ... 

Fanspeak:

Re-signed: ILB Brown ($6m/yr), WR Grant ($2m/yr), EDGE Murphy ($2.5m/yr), EDGE Gallett ($1.5m/yr), NT Phil Taylor ($1m/yr)

Free Agency: WR Jarvis Landry ($12m/yr), FS Marcus Gilchrist ($3m/yr)

*pick your option here at WR ... in one run I went for Allen Robinson and had him for $14m a year. I think Robinson has more big-number upside but Landry gives you a consistent, reliable, dynamic talent as well. 

Cap space remaining: $20 million

Draft: Offered #21 and #22 from Buffalo for #13 (Mayfield)

1st (21): Vita Vea, DT Washington - shores up middle of defense ... shocked if he falls this far but being a NT, maybe. Payne also available 

1st (22): Sony Michel, RB Georgia - bellcow, game-breaker ... maybe a LITTLE early, but you're getting him before the run on RBs begins

2nd: Isaiah Wynn, LG Georgia - injured, but would be your long-term LG 
4th: Kameron Kelly, FS/CB San Diego State - slot corner to replace Fuller

5th: Kyle Lauletta, QB Richmond - groom his rawness into a starting QB in 3-4 years in time to franchise him 3x

6th: Dimitri Flowers, H-Back/TE Oklahoma (feel like he'd thrive with Smith)

7th: Taylor Weineke, WR South Dakota State - Raw, but has size and upside

7th: Bradley Bozeman, OC Alabama - weird, seen him go way higher, so wouldn't count on him here

= pipe dream

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Seems to happen a lot lately ... where mediocre talent at WR goes way earlier than projected. See John Ross last year. It wouldn't shock me if a couple combine stars jump up into the mid-1st ... James Washington, etc. Hopefully none taken by us and pushing players further down

6 hours ago, Mannix said:

I’ve got a mid round sleeper RB for u skin fans.  Mark Walton Miami.  He’ll need to be checked out medically because he suffered a significant ankle injury last year.  Don’t think he can consistently carry it 25 times a game but put him in a platoon situation and look out. He looks like he can even pick up the blitz.  Diamond in the rough.  

I think we're done with mid-round sleepers at RB. I'm sick to death of them!

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Re-signed: ILB Brown ($6m/yr), WR Grant ($2m/yr), EDGE Murphy ($2.5m/yr), EDGE Gallett ($1.5m/yr), NT Phil Taylor ($1m/yr)

Cap space remaining: $20 million

1st (21): Vita Vea, DT Washington - shores up middle of defense ... shocked if he falls this far but being a NT, maybe. Payne also available 

1st (22): Sony Michel, RB Georgia - bellcow, game-breaker ... maybe a LITTLE early, but you're getting him before the run on RBs begins

5th: Kyle Lauletta, QB Richmond - groom his rawness into a starting QB in 3-4 years in time to franchise him 3x

7th: Bradley Bozeman, OC Alabama - weird, seen him go way higher, so wouldn't count on him here

That is literally the perfect off-season for us. No way it plays out like that, but we would be SO good if it did.

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This draft is a thing of beauty. So of course it won't happen haha. I'm super excited to see what form of lineman they pick up in FA. I want the TE Andrews badly in the second so hopefully that guard you have there is picked up in FA.

Except we’re at around 14 mil in cap space.  Cut Hood and gain 2 or so.  Maybe cut Reed or McCoy, but 1) those are riskier, and 2) I think they’d have to see what the draft brings before making those two moves.  

In essence, I think they can afford 1 high priced FA - DE, G, or WR (or Breeland), and 1-3 cheap guys - maybe a back, OLB (Murphy/Galette), or an ILB.  Breeland and Brown would be a possibility too, but I doubt they go that route and forego cheaper signings.  

9 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I like it, keep stacking the D line and we will see positive results.

What about the kid from Clemson, is he not in that same tier with Vea and Payne?

9 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If Buffalo wants Mayfield or Allen and one of those guys is there when we pick at #13, the only way I'm not sprinting to the podium with the trade  card is if Roquan Smith is there. MAYBE Vita Vea. Both could be absolutely dynamic on our defense. But I have a feeling that Buffalo, or anyone looking to move up for a QB, is going to be slightly overpaying for the value of #13. 

So yes, I'd trade back from #13 with Buffalo if they offered #21 and #22 ... and I'd also take #21 and their 2nd and 3rd if that's what they're offering.

I see 3 "true needs" to become a stout offense and improved defense. I have a feeling we'll address ILB with re-signing Brown. And unless we go sign a Jerrick McKinnon or Andrew Norwell ... those "impactful needs" are a LG, RB and a "piece" on the defense. ILB, FS, DT ... doesn't matter. I like where we're positioned in general on defense but adding an early pick there would help solidify things. Give me 21 and 22 and suddenly those picks coupled with our 2nd really put us in the thick of where BPA would line up with need and those impactful positions. Guice or Michel would need to find their way onto our roster. Then if we can get a Guard (Billy Price or Isaiah Winn or maybe Will Hernandez if its not too early in the 2nd) ... and then a defender ... 

Fanspeak:

= pipe dream

Seems to happen a lot lately ... where mediocre talent at WR goes way earlier than projected. See John Ross last year. It wouldn't shock me if a couple combine stars jump up into the mid-1st ... James Washington, etc. Hopefully none taken by us and pushing players further down

Wow, that would be quite the steal. I've seen some mocks with him going in the late first rd. Although I doubt that will happen, I don't think he'll go any later than 2nd round. Nice work

Archived