Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I want an impact player on defense. We have a shot at a top FS, ILB, DT, DE. Our defense looked great before injury and they're young. It's our strength. 

Oline and RB are huge needs too, but Nelson won't drop to us I don't think.

Oh hail ya I could go for a power house bad ass free safety... not sure who's the hottest coming out of the draft but whoever it is paired up with number 36 could be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I want an impact player on defense. We have a shot at a top FS, ILB, DT, DE. Our defense looked great before injury and they're young. It's our strength. 

Oline and RB are huge needs too, but Nelson won't drop to us I don't think.

5 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Oh hail ya I could go for a power house bad ass free safety... not sure who's the hottest coming out of the draft but whoever it is paired up with number 36 could be fun to watch.

You guys don't like Montae Nicholson?  Thought he looked really good before he got hurt.

Anyways, the only top FS is Fitzpatrick, who is in contention to go Top 5.  Stranger things have happened (Jon Allen at #17 last year) but it's a good bet Safety isn't on the available list of Day 1 impact players for us at #13.

DT (Vea or Payne) and ILB (Edmunds or Smith) seems to be what's most likely.

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You guys don't like Montae Nicholson?  Thought he looked really good before he got hurt.

Anyways, the only top FS is Fitzpatrick, who is in contention to go Top 5.  Stranger things have happened (Jon Allen at #17 last year) but it's a good bet Safety isn't on the available list of Day 1 impact players for us at #13.

Nicholson might be good. Who knows. If Fitz drops, I'd be all over it. My point was that one of those 5 will be there. Maybe most of them.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Derwin James might actually be the best safety in this draft class. I know he's listed on most sites as a SS, but he could play FS as well. Having said that, I doubt he'd drop to 13.

18 minutes ago, Tay said:

Derwin James might actually be the best safety in this draft class. I know he's listed on most sites as a SS, but he could play FS as well. Having said that, I doubt he'd drop to 13.

His best fit in the pro's is the Kam Chancellor role.  We have Swearinger at SS, I REALLY don't want to replace Swearinger.

I think Derwin James is currently most often mocked in the late teens.  I see him often around the Cowboys/Seahawks area.  We'll find out post-combine what happens as the media guys start getting more info from scouts.

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Justin Reid is FS I would target and he should be available in the 2nd round:

I just ran a Fanspeak ultimate GM using the Browns and went back to see how the Redskins drafted. BTW, Cousins was re-signed by the simulation, so the draft unfolded based on that obviously. Did not see who the Skins got in FA but the draft went:

1st: Derwin James, FS FSU
2nd: Sony Michel, RB Georgia
3rd: Leighton Vander-Esch, ILB Boise
4th: Anthony Averett, CB
5th: Keke Coutee, WR
6th: David Moa, DT

7th: Filipe Mokifisi, DT

Don't know much about Averett, Moa or Mokifisi, but I like the 1st-3rd and 5th rounders. 

I think the draft question at corner centers around Breeland. Breeland, Norman, Dunbar and Moreau make an outstanding unit. Norman, Dunbar, Moreau and Holsey have the potential to be a good unit, but we don't really know what they can do.

What the trade does though is actually open the draft up to a more BPA approach. You don't have to force your hand at QB or risk selling the farm to get a QB. You can left the draft come to you. Given that we need starters at several positions or at least upgrades (ilb, rb, wr, dl, g, etc) that's a good thing. The question is can we pull it off?

Personally, I still root for us to get the best inside linebacker or running back we can find. I don't think Kelly or Perrine are the answer and our very good third down back Thompson has to come back from a broken leg. 

I'll admit, I thought they would try to do a RG3 like trade up to get a unknown QB. So, while I'm sad about Fuller, I think I can wrap my head around this deal (since it's pretty clear Cousins wasn't happening). I think in the 1st round, we're good to take BPA like we should. My hope is that that's a Payne/Vea type player or Nelson if he drops to beef up the lines.

I would like to see one of Laletta/Smith in the 2nd now. Maybe it's a bit of a reach, but I'd like in 2-3 years for us to trade Smith to a desperate team and get more than a 3rd + CB for him. 2 years of Smith tutoring Lauletta/Smith.

That would have a semblance of a long term plan. One can dream, right?

I havent started watching defensive tape yet, still have to finish RB on the offensive side of the ball. But I will now change and be doing corners first once I start the defensive side of the ball. There is a GREAT chance that the top corner in the draft will be there at 13. And that would make a lot of sense now that we lost Fuller. If nothing else yesterdays trade just made the draft much more interesting for the Redskins. Lots of new possibilities just opened up.

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I havent started watching defensive tape yet, still have to finish RB on the offensive side of the ball. But I will now change and be doing corners first once I start the defensive side of the ball. There is a GREAT chance that the top corner in the draft will be there at 13. And that would make a lot of sense now that we lost Fuller. If nothing else yesterdays trade just made the draft much more interesting for the Redskins. Lots of new possibilities just opened up.

Only main change I see is instead of QB is look at CB.  To me that's less intriguing.  Ward or J. Jackson?  I know some discount the politics of this deal but I think it looms large.  That is, Alex Smith is a win now move.   And I don't think they want egg in their face with this move coupled with Kirk leaving so I think it amps up the need to upgrade the offense.  Maybe that transpires in FA.  But if not, I think it heightens a little RB and WR.    If its win now -- typically it takes longer for a young WR as opposed to RB to develop.   So RB maybe in the first or 2nd?  Not sure if there is a RB worth the 13th pick though.  So hope one of the guys drop to the 2nd -- Michel (unlikely available) Penny (maybe) R. Jones (maybe), Chubb, (probably), Kerryon Johnson (probably). 

In the aftermath of the trade it becomes even more clear to me now than we absolutely cannot trade back and must take the BPA at 13 regardless of position. We have enough average to above average guys starting on our team. What we need is impact players -- someone who can ultimately be a top 5 player at their position in the NFL. Whether it is DLine, RB, DB, whatever -- we just need more top-end talent on this team. 

19 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Nicholson looked really good for us.  I am concerned about his injuries though.  

11 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If Kendall Fuller is indeed traded, what about a CB?

Yep.  I had corner as a wildcard pick, now it’s a must.  Sucks that we just added a ‘need’.  

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think the draft question at corner centers around Breeland. Breeland, Norman, Dunbar and Moreau make an outstanding unit. Norman, Dunbar, Moreau and Holsey have the potential to be a good unit, but we don't really know what they can do.

What the trade does though is actually open the draft up to a more BPA approach. You don't have to force your hand at QB or risk selling the farm to get a QB. You can left the draft come to you. Given that we need starters at several positions or at least upgrades (ilb, rb, wr, dl, g, etc) that's a good thing. The question is can we pull it off?

Personally, I still root for us to get the best inside linebacker or running back we can find. I don't think Kelly or Perrine are the answer and our very good third down back Thompson has to come back from a broken leg. 

I have high hopes for Moreau, but he’s still a question mark and Breeland isn’t nearly as good as Fuller was for us last year.  Here’s hoping Holsey makes a big jump.  

1 hour ago, jsharrin55 said:

I'll admit, I thought they would try to do a RG3 like trade up to get a unknown QB. So, while I'm sad about Fuller, I think I can wrap my head around this deal (since it's pretty clear Cousins wasn't happening). I think in the 1st round, we're good to take BPA like we should. My hope is that that's a Payne/Vea type player or Nelson if he drops to beef up the lines.

I would like to see one of Laletta/Smith in the 2nd now. Maybe it's a bit of a reach, but I'd like in 2-3 years for us to trade Smith to a desperate team and get more than a 3rd + CB for him. 2 years of Smith tutoring Lauletta/Smith.

That would have a semblance of a long term plan. One can dream, right?

Yeah, I like the idea of drafting a qb, both for the long term, but also to replace McCoy sooner than later.  Don’t like the idea of giving up our 2nd and 3rd for the qb position though.  We have some serious needs.  2nd is the perfect spot to land a really good rb I think.  

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah, corner in the 1st is a serious consideration now, which sucks.  Using a 1st on a corner and losing our third rounder just diminished our chances of using the draft to get better, IMO.  

I like the idea of adding Fitzpatrick (though I assume he’s gone by then) - versatility to play inside/outside corner as well as safety.  Would allow us to evaluate corner/safety in camp and put him at the best spot.  

16 minutes ago, skinsfan834 said:

In the aftermath of the trade it becomes even more clear to me now than we absolutely cannot trade back and must take the BPA at 13 regardless of position. We have enough average to above average guys starting on our team. What we need is impact players -- someone who can ultimately be a top 5 player at their position in the NFL. Whether it is DLine, RB, DB, whatever -- we just need more top-end talent on this team. 

100% agree with this. 

We have a team of good players but need couple of outstanding. Reed, when healthy, is able to make does clutch plays. When you need a play, he can make it. We need more of that kind of guys. Especially on the D#. Kerrigan will get his sacks. Norman will guard a WR but who is going to make a play?

I would love to have a Myles Jack kind of player. Somebody who does these crazy clutch plays that change games. 

I’m going RB with 13 or 44. I’m also getting a top defender with the other pick. We need a WR and maybe we get one in FA and a mid round pick. I’m gonna do some deep diving on ILB, FS, slot CB and speed WRs. I’d love a LG but if we are going Defense + RB with 1 and 2 not sure you get an immediate starter through the draft. You had a shot getting one in the 3rd. 

Depending on who’s There at 13, I’m now on board with a trade down. Maybe we can fleece Bills for 21/22 for 13 if a QB falls. You can still get impact there ... Isaiah Win at OG and a FS like james or ILB like Edmunds or Evans. Idk. Lot of time and FA to unfold. I wanna go BPA but we need to solidify the offense to make this trade work. Meh. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Joshua Jackson? 

Alex Smith has weapons like crazy.  Calvin Ridley?  Derrius Guice?

Isn't Joshua Jackson an outside corner best in Cover 3?  Don't think he's a replacement for Fuller.

Alex Smith has always had a really good run game as part of his offense.  Is that what he needs or is that happenstance?  Our TE's can't run block, so that's likely not going to happen with us.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’m going RB with 13 or 44. I’m also getting a top defender with the other pick. We need a WR and maybe we get one in FA and a mid round pick. I’m gonna do some deep diving on ILB, FS, slot CB and speed WRs. I’d love a LG but if we are going Defense + RB with 1 and 2 not sure you get an immediate starter through the draft. You had a shot getting one in the 3rd.

I don't want to go RB at 13, I don't think there's value there unless Barkley miraculously falls.  I would also like a tradedown to recoup the lost 3rd rounder, but we'll see.

If guys like Ronald Jones or Guice are there in the 2nd, I can see it.

From what you want, Defense, the impression I've gotten is that we're thankfully in a good spot at 13.  Maybe we could even trade down and pick up a comparable player in mid-late 1st to what we could grab at 13?

Yeah, #13 should get us a solid playmaker on defense. This entire time, I've felt 2nd round was the place to go for a good RB. I still think that's the case. I have seen some mocks more recently putting Guice in the mid-1st. But I'd prefer to wait.

For whatever reason, the Smith trade makes me think the Redskins will emphasize finding a RB this year. Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara show you don't have to do that in Round 1. But by giving up our 3rd, we basically put ourselves in a position to have to go for one in the 2nd, because waiting until the 4th puts you in a position to draft a Perine, which can turn out nicely, or give you another "JAG" that doesn't give you a dominant running game. 

26 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Isn't Joshua Jackson an outside corner best in Cover 3?  Don't think he's a replacement for Fuller.

Don't know. I haven't studied him aside from knowing he is a playmaker as to turnovers and has some hype to him.  But I haven't examined him, yet.

27 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Alex Smith has always had a really good run game as part of his offense.  Is that what he needs or is that happenstance?  Our TE's can't run block, so that's likely not going to happen with us.

As we know, most QBs are better with a good running game (practically a mantra for Shanny when he talks QBs) -- I presume its the same with Alex.  He had a career year last year with a top ten running game.  First time he ever hit 4000 yards.   Alex's reputation deserved or not is that he's more of a game manager than a dude that carries a team on his back.   I watched enough KC last year to notice a stark difference between their run game and ours -- so yes I do think moving from a pathetic running game versus the explosive one he came from -- might impact performance.

I hate to get caught up in the trade-down talk but I do love to have picks and we currently have 6. Trading back, especially if a QB is there at 13, makes some sense. I ran a FanSpeak with Matt Miller's board ... first time through was offered 1st, 2nd, 3rd from Bills for #13 for them to take Mayfield. I went back to see what else I could get the computer to offer up. The Browns offered me 2.1 + 2.3 + 4.1 + 4.23 for 1.13 which they used to take Mayfield after going Barkley and Fitzpatrick at 1/4. 

I then sent 2.3 to Oakland for 2.9 and 3.11 

2.1: Malik Jefferson, ILB Texas
2.9: Kerryonn Johnson, RB Auburn

2.12: Isaiah Wynn, G Georgia
3.11: Trenton Thompson, DT Georgia
4.1: JC Jackson, CB Maryland
4.13: Kameron Kelly, FS SDSU
4.23: Dante Pettis, WR Washington

5.12: Kyle Lauletta, QB Richmond

Kind of agree that this draft is probably unrealistic but what I like is the ability to have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds v. the current 3 ... when you're trying to build up a team around a veteran QB like Smith and you want to bolster the run game and the defense, I think having those 7 picks works wonders. Of course, you lack the bonafide stud defender you would have if you stayed at #13 ... FS Derwin James, DL Da'Ron Payne and Vita Vea were all there ...a though Vea and Payne went in the 20's so in theory, you could have probably still gotten one of them if you did the Bills trade instead of the Browns one. In this case, you get a starting ILB, RB, LG + a DT to rotate along the line, replacement/slot guy in Kelly from SDSU, another CB for depth to groom in Jackson, a WR to add depth, and a developmental/raw but high upside QB in Lauretta to sit behind Smith. 

I took Kerryonn because he was the #1 RB on the board. Could have had Michel at 2.1 but opted to go defense. Chubb was on the board in the 3rd, but in this scenario, I didn't want to risk losing out on a top RB by rolling the dice, given the # of picks. 

Archived