Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Just looked at Kiper's big board which he just did.  He claimed in other segments in the past that he relies on scout buzz, etc.

Nothing too unusual, things that stood out.  He's has Josh Allen as the #1 QB.  Sony Michel as the #2 RB ahead of Guice.  Barkley is the top player -- #1.

Forgot if anyone here looked at Billy Price -- Center-Guard.  He's high on him among others.    Quenton Nelson looks like a top 10 guy.  But Price is likely available. I haven't watched him at all.  But reading about him -- the material gave me a similar vibe to T. Frederick years back who worked out well for Dallas.

I have finished watching tape on the OL in this draft. As always my rankings are based solely on game tape. No off field issues are taken into account. Obviously some of these guys will transition to other positions along the line in the NFL. So I wanted to get my top 15 OL players listed here.  Here are my top 5 C, T and G in this draft. WR's and TE's are next. I should have those rankings out this weekend as I watched a lot of those guys while doing QB tape and only need to review film on a few of them.

Tackles:

1) Orlando Brown, Oklahoma: I have read a lot about teams thinking Brown should transition to guard in the NFL. But I dont see it. I see a man with incredible strength and size. He is dominant in the running game and pancakes people consistently. His incredible strength allows him to rag doll pass rushers. He does struggle slightly with speed rushers. But he has decent athleticism for his size and is a very consistent player. (Top 15 Pick)

2) Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame: McGlinchey has great size as well. 6'7 310. And he may be a little bit more athletic than Brown. But he struggles with assignments at times and misses more often. He didnt show very well against the best talent in College either. He had a poor game against Georgia for example. He also has a tendency to commit false starts. He shows great power at the point of attack in the running game though. I think he may have more upside than Brown. But he needs to get his head in the game sometimes. (round 1/2)

3) Isaah Wynn, Georgia: Lacks ideal size. Only 6'3. But Wynn is a mauler. He has that nasty streak you want out of an OL. And he may be the best run blocker at the position in this draft. May transition to G in the NFL. (round 2/3)

4) Kolton Miller, UCLA: Ideal size and length. Played well protecting Josh Rosen this year. Struggles with speed rushers at times. Has limited power at the point of attack. But does have upside. Right tackle possibly in the NFL? (Round 3/4)

5) Martinas Rankin, Mississippi State: Good size and athleticism. I see a player that struggles with the bull rush and lacks ideal power. Will need to gain strength at the next level. But has the ideal frame to mold into a quality starter. (Round 4/5)

Center:

1) Billy Price, Ohio State: Great size, strength and smarts. Good but not elite athleticism. Price played well against the best DT's in the league. And did it consistently. He may be the best overall lineman in this draft. (Round 1)

2) Bradley Bozeman, Alabama: Huge for center. Powerful run blocker and vicious at the point of attack. Has good athleticism and is smart. (Round 2)

3) Will Clapp, LSU: Consistent run blocker. Struggles with power rushes on occasion against the best DT talent. Overall a good prospect and should end up a starter at the next level (Round 3/4)

4) Austin Golson, Auburn: Shows inconsistency at times against the better DT talent. Has good size and athleticism. Possible starter in the NFL (Round 4/5)

5) Mason Cole, Michigan: Good size and athleticsm. Lacks ideal strength at the point of attack. Decent pass blocking skills. (Round 4/5)

Guard:

1) Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame: Vicious power in the run game. Excellent pass blocker as well. Great size and strength. Overall Nelson is possibly the best OL in this draft class. (Round 1)

2) Braden Smith, Auburn: Great size, strength and athleticism. Performed well against the best players in College. Good all around game. Can run and pass block consistently (Round 2)

3) Will Hernandez, UTEP: Lacks ideal size. But has tremendous strength and run blocking ability. Struggles with speed rushers from the inside on occasion. Starting caliber guard in the NFL though. (Round 2/3)

4) Sean Welsh, Iowa: You cant have a nfl prospect list without at least one guy from Iowa right? Good size, strength and athleticism. Struggles with power rushers on occasion. (Round 3/4)

5) Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama: Excellent run blocker. Has good speed and athleticism. Needs to strengthen up some at the next level. Could really use another year at school IMO. But will be drafted in the middle rounds because of the lack of OL talent in this draft. (Round 3/4)

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just looked at Kiper's big board which he just did.  He claimed in other segments in the past that he relies on scout buzz, etc.

Nothing too unusual, things that stood out.  He's has Josh Allen as the #1 QB.  Sony Michel as the #2 RB ahead of Guice.  Barkley is the top player -- #1.

Forgot if anyone here looked at Billy Price -- Center-Guard.  He's high on him among others.    Quenton Nelson looks like a top 10 guy.  But Price is likely available. I haven't watched him at all.  But reading about him -- the material gave me a similar vibe to T. Frederick years back who worked out well for Dallas.

He was on NFL live and explaining each pick.  He talked about Allen having the best physical characteristics and biggest upside but he's going to need a really good QB coach and OC that knows how to teach or something like that.

I listened to a JPFinley podcast at some event and he stuck a mike in front of Trevor M. asking who the Skins should draft if Cousins leaves.  He's really high on Rudolph and Mayfield.  He doesn't think any of the other QB's should be drafted in the first round.  Who knows....

Allen looks like Wentz to me, but Wentz went to a good spot. Eagles have mostly been a solid organization and Pederson is a proven QB coach.

Looking at the teams at/near the top, I think Allen would do okay with the Giants if they hire Shurmur and he can it behind Eli for a year or two. I also think the Broncos could be a good fit since, like the Eagles with Wentz, they'd have the D to make things easy on him early on.

I don't like any other QB in this class.

See one of the biggest top 10 QB drafts in NFL history taking shape...

Which means, some of the following will very Likely be available

Quentin Nelson- How could you pass on a all pro talent, position of need

Roquan Smith- How could you pass on a all pro talent, position of need

Derwin James- How could you pass on a all pro talent, position of need

Vita Vea- Niche Position, elite talent, position of need

Da'ron Payne- Jonathan Allen's running partner, given injuries and aging FA's, position of need

Who needs a GM when the draft is gonna be this easy??!?

Thought this was kinda interesting... combination of mocks from Kiper, Mcshay, PFF, etc.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/nfl-mock-draft-2018-consensus-picks-first-round-experts

Some guys talked about on here - Smith's highest position is 10th and lowest is 21st, Hurst 3rd/28th, Vea 17th/24th, Fitzpatrick's 4th/11th, James 3rd/18th, Nelson 5th/18th.  

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

See one of the biggest top 10 QB drafts in NFL history taking shape...

Which means, some of the following will very Likely be available

Quentin Nelson- How could you pass on a all pro talent, position of need

Roquan Smith- How could you pass on a all pro talent, position of need

Derwin James- How could you pass on a all pro talent, position of need

Vita Vea- Niche Position, elite talent, position of need

Da'ron Payne- Jonathan Allen's running partner, given injuries and aging FA's, position of need

Who needs a GM when the draft is gonna be this easy??!?

Thing is. We are most likely going to need to take one of the QB's as well. I dont think Kirk is going to be here and we need more arm talent than Mccoy. I am fine with sucking real bad next year if we end up with  a second year QB like Goff ended up being this year. this draft is DEEP at QB. And that depth is really diversified with a whole lot of different talent. You want a  pocket passer? He is there. You want an option guy with a tremendous arm? He is there as well. I dont really see how we can avoid drafting one of those guys in all honesty.

If Cousins walks... would you consider a trade back in the 1st?

I would personally, unless a special talent falls to us similar to last year.  To your point  @clskinsfan, I think you have to take one at some point in this draft.  Even if they aren't projected as your future starter, we need a developmental guy, an eventual replacement for McCoy, and a guy that can compete with your (perceived) qb of the future.  To take that a step further, McCoy is like a Reed Doughty or Will Compton - I respect them and their handiness in understanding the scheme, but their ceiling is low and you need to keep trying to find a replacement with more upside.  

If the team is seriously considering drafting a qb (let's say in the 1st), there are some things I think they need to address (mostly in FA?) to help them out.  A good G/C (maybe the Carolina G @Monk4thaHALLis so defensive about, or the C Richberg from the Giants?  I don't know), a receiver that can stretch the field, an upgrade at running back, and a NT (and maybe an ILB) so the defense can get off the field.  Personally, I'd also look at one of the top TEs so the rookie qb has an outlet receiver that can also help protect him (and help the run game).  Reed fits the bill as an outlet receiver (as would a back like Guice/Michel/Jones to pair with Thompson), but the blocking part....  Now, maybe Sprinkle can fill that role, but I wouldn't assume he can be more than a decent blocking TE for us. 

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

If Cousins walks... would you consider a trade back in the 1st?

I would personally, unless a special talent falls to us similar to last year.  To your point  @clskinsfan, I think you have to take one at some point in this draft.  Even if they aren't projected as your future starter, we need a developmental guy, an eventual replacement for McCoy, and a guy that can compete with your (perceived) qb of the future.  To take that a step further, McCoy is like a Reed Doughty or Will Compton - I respect them and their handiness in understanding the scheme, but their ceiling is low and you need to keep trying to find a replacement with more upside.  

If the team is seriously considering drafting a qb (let's say in the 1st), there are some things I think they need to address (mostly in FA?) to help them out.  A good G/C (maybe the Carolina G @Monk4thaHALLis so defensive about, or the C Richberg from the Giants?  I don't know), a receiver that can stretch the field, an upgrade at running back, and a NT (and maybe an ILB) so the defense can get off the field.  Personally, I'd also look at one of the top TEs so the rookie qb has an outlet receiver that can also help protect him (and help the run game).  Reed fits the bill as an outlet receiver (as would a back like Guice/Michel/Jones to pair with Thompson), but the blocking part....  Now, maybe Sprinkle can fill that role, but I wouldn't assume he can be more than a decent blocking TE for us. 

For me it depends who falls. I mean if Barkley, Allen, Chubb or Darnold are there for some reason you run your ticket up to the stage and get to work. But they wont be. I would be fine trading back IF our target is one of the other Qb's and they are still on the board. None of the teams behind us are taking a QB so we could move back 5 or 8 picks and probably still get our guy. Unless of course someone trades up over us.  

So I'm going to say that I'm officially off the Josh Allen bandwagon. My top choices are Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph, Riley Ferguson, and Kurt Benkert. Not saying that those guys will be world beaters, but I've read more positive than negative about them.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/22/16776200/josh-allen-2018-nfl-draft-wyoming-quarterback

Five interceptions against Nebraska. That’s not good. A 45 percent completion percentage against San Diego State. Again, no bueno. Those were big games — one against a Power 5 school and the other in the Mountain West Championship. There were three games under 50 percent completion percentage and three more just a tad passed 50 percent. There were 27 sacks. His completion percentage ranked him eighth … in the Mountain West. His “adjusted passing yards per attempt” put him fourth in the Mountain West.

All right, well, he was just a sophomore. Let’s see what he did with another year under his belt. Here’s 2017:

He played two Power 5 teams (Iowa and Oregon) and went a combined 50 percent completion percentage with no touchdowns and three interceptions. Hmmm. Against Boise State, he was 12 of 27 and added another two interceptions. His completion percentage ranked him eighth … in the Mountain West. His adjusted passing yards per attempt put him ninth in the Mountain West.

thought it was going to be hard finding QBs similar to josh allen that went in the first round. turns out, 2011 draft had 3 in the top 12. pic.twitter.com/weICREjwOB

— charles mcdonaldUUUVVVAALLLLL (@FourVerts) December 9, 2017

My prelim QB Rankings:

1. Mayfield

2. Rosen

3. Darnold

4. Rudolph

5. Allen

6. Falk

Mayfield tape actually looks like a Drew Brees clone with wheels. Said it before, can't stand his millennial pseudo-attitude, but he clearly has best tape out of all of them.

Rosen is probably best pocket passer in group, makes actual NFL type throws every game. Safer pick IMO.

Darnold is an X factor, horrible games than great games. His mistakes will kill NFL teams if he can't improve. To much of an unknown for me

Rudolph doesn't have any film that;simpressive. Game after game of no pass rush and streaking wide open receivers. Sure, he's tall and big. Not sure he has the chops for the NFL

Allen is getting the Wentz coat tails treatment. This guy is a 4-6th round flyer.

Falk has nice tangibles, throws well. Same with Allen, 4th round flyer

I'm hoping for a Vita Vea 1st round pick. Watching the D line dominate so many playoff games so far and seeing top ranked D's in Phi/Minny/Jax in the Championship games, keep building there. All those team have amazing D lines

Vea was moved around the line for Washington but can play NT obviously. The versatility is similar to Allen. Have Allen and Vea as anchors and rotate the Mc's & Ionadis and we' re looking solid. I think they release both McGee and McClain after next year so we'll need depth anyway. 

After that, resign Zach Brown today and the secondary is essentially set. I would have no issues going RB/WR/TE/G in next few rounds

9 hours ago, skinny21 said:

If the team is seriously considering drafting a qb (let's say in the 1st), there are some things I think they need to address (mostly in FA?) to help them out.  A good G/C (maybe the Carolina G @Monk4thaHALLis so defensive about, or the C Richberg from the Giants?  I don't know), a receiver that can stretch the field, an upgrade at running back, and a NT (and maybe an ILB) so the defense can get off the field. 

Drafting a QB IMO just upsets the whole apple cart.  What a wasted opportunity in particular to find a game changer at a key spot.  Whether its Vea or Payne to stuf the run. R. Smith if he falls. I am back and forth on Ridley but some see him as a game changing receiver, etc.

It would make FA a much bigger deal.  Nose tackle -- Poe or Logan? Receiver -- one of the Jax guys.  I like Jordan Matthews even though he's coming off of an injury-off year.  But I think it makes 2018 a ho hum season. One upside is might make the draft thread fascinating as early as October. 

If Kirk is gone.  I am still not a Mayfield guy.   I am not saying I have a read on him one way or another but I lean no.  Having said that, considering the history of QBs in the draft (we all know they tend to rise not fall -- who would think for example Christian Ponder among others would end up drafted that high). the odds are I think if they fall for Mayfield, they got to trade up and give up multiple picks to do it.

Only way I don't see it going down that way is if Mayfield really is "meh" during Senior Bowl week and or measures at 6 foot or under.   But yeah Mayfield drafted after someone like Ponder did?  Tough for me to see that.  I am not saying that because I believe in Mayfield.  But its because if you read the buzz on Mayfield he's a love-hate prospect.  You'd figure someone is going to love the dude and not let him fall that far.

9 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

For me it depends who falls. I mean if Barkley, Allen, Chubb or Darnold are there for some reason you run your ticket up to the stage and get to work. But they wont be. I would be fine trading back IF our target is one of the other Qb's and they are still on the board. None of the teams behind us are taking a QB so we could move back 5 or 8 picks and probably still get our guy. Unless of course someone trades up over us.  

I’d be a bit worried about the Bills (maybe another team or two) trading up, but, as you said, that’s if they have a guy in mind (Rudolph is my guess).  

@Bonez3Totally with you - I’ve been saying a DL in the 1st would be a big help - we need to get better vs the run and have (at the minimum) an injury replacement for our starting DTs as well as an upgrade to our base D DL.  

@SkinsinparadiseRight there with you - don’t like the idea of taking a qb high and missing out on a good (and young/less expensive) talent, particularly at one of our many positions of need.  Also agree that if we dump Cousins it puts more onus on FA.  

I imagine this same team (competitive virtually every week) this past year, but if we had a guy that helped stymie the run and a couple/few more guys had stayed healthy.  Now imagine if we had had a TE and back that could actually help move the ball in the ground game.  I have to imagine that even with a lot of injuries and a tough schedule, we would have won a couple/few more games.  Easy to look at this past year and say we’re not close, but considering the adversity, I think we’re closer than many think.  Hurts to think we are looking to take a big step backward at the most important position.  

@skinny21 There are 3 DL players that would be great picks at our spot with Vea, Hurst and Payne.

Payne's performance in the 2 college playoff games may have jettisoned him into top 10, incredible. I posted a video of him about a month ago a few pages back. I would not be the least bit upset landing him.

D line strength will pretty much make a team an instant playoff contender. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm going to say that I'm officially off the Josh Allen bandwagon. My top choices are Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph, Riley Ferguson, and Kurt Benkert. Not saying that those guys will be world beaters, but I've read more positive than negative about them.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/22/16776200/josh-allen-2018-nfl-draft-wyoming-quarterback

I like Falk and Ferguson a lot. But they are very different players. Falk is a statue in the pocket with limited athleticism. That is fine if you are willing to invest in the OL. Ferguson is a playmaker. WIth excellent athleticism and a very good arm. In all honesty I thing Falk would be a better fit in Grudens system. 

I didnt like the tape on Rudolph or Benkert in all honesty.

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like Falk and Ferguson a lot. But they are very different players. Falk is a statue in the pocket with limited athleticism. That is fine if you are willing to invest in the OL. Ferguson is a playmaker. WIth excellent athleticism and a very good arm. In all honesty I thing Falk would be a better fit in Grudens system. 

I didnt like the tape on Rudolph or Benkert in all honesty.

The word is Falk is another Cousins, which I like. Ruldolph is the guy I have a crush on right now (based on some stats I posed earlier). Ferguson I don't know much about but I've read some nice stories on him, some nice rankings, and some nice stats.

I don't buy too much into the system thing because I think Gruden as a player was totally different than Cousins and Dalton and a lot of the QBs we've seen (probably closer to Colt or Baker). But Gruden is talented offensively so he can adapt his system to the player (as long as its not RG3). I care more about whether the QB will make the reads and the throws and stay healthy (RG3).

50 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

@skinny21 There are 3 DL players that would be great picks at our spot with Vea, Hurst and Payne.

Payne's performance in the 2 college playoff games may have jettisoned him into top 10, incredible. I posted a video of him about a month ago a few pages back. I would not be the least bit upset landing him.

D line strength will pretty much make a team an instant playoff contender. 

Don't sleep on Bryan. Guy looks every bit the part of a first rounder as well. Just not a big of a name. 3:01 is my favorite play. Just the strength. Beautiful.

That’s the feeling I get - adding in 1) the Scot tweet (this guy’s a football player), 2) the fact he can throw a deep ball, 3) his size, 4) he’s got a propensity for not running scared (keeps eyes downfield), and 5) his likely availability at pick 13.  

Sucks to think we go that route instead of picking a guy that can help on D (or in the ground game).  

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

That’s the feeling I get - adding in 1) the Scot tweet (this guy’s a football player), 2) the fact he can throw a deep ball, 3) his size, 4) he’s got a propensity for not running scared (keeps eyes downfield), and 5) his likely availability at pick 13. 

If the interest is true, my initial reaction here is that Rudolph's been discussed whilst Scot was still at the organisation. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

If the interest is true, my initial reaction here is that Rudolph's been discussed whilst Scot was still at the organisation. 

That’s a long way out (considering Scot was out prior to last draft), but you could well be right.  

If they like Rudolph, but don’t love him, I hope they consider trading back and adding a pick for next year (ammo to move up for a qb if necessary).  Might be able to do that and still get Rudolph.  

Suppose I should start looking a bit more on who might be available with our 2nd rd pick...

Keim weighing in some

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35408/should-kirk-cousins-leave-mel-kiper-jr-projects-baker-mayfield-to-redskins

There are multiple scenarios that could play out for Washington and affect what it does at quarterback. But if Cousins goes and the Redskins go with Colt McCoy, they’ll draft a quarterback in the early rounds. Even if they believe in McCoy -- and coach Jay Gruden does -- he hasn’t proven himself over 16 games. The Redskins can’t assume anything about his performance and plan for now and the future. Plus, they need a young passer to develop.

...Keep in mind the last two times the Redskins have swung big on quarterbacks -- Donovan McNabb and Robert Griffin III -- the move was only met with lukewarm support by the head coach. Some of that might be revisionist history by other people, but not all. And in Griffin’s case, the hesitancy wasn’t about him as much as it was about how much they had to surrender. Still, the point was that the organization made a move not all said they strongly supported.

Mayfield makes some sense from the standpoint that he might still be around at 13 -- or the Redskins wouldn’t have to trade up high to land him.

But one thing that should help is that they have a head coach who was a former quarterback and a senior vice president of player personnel in Doug Williams who, of course, was one as well. That should be a benefit, provided everyone listens to what they have to say. They’ll also have a chance to scout Mayfield up close at the Senior Bowl; possible first-round quarterbacks don’t always attend the event in Alabama.

So why Mayfield? In a lot of ways he’s like McCoy -- though in terms of his draft stock, the NFL would consider Mayfield obviously a better version. And there were zero character concerns about McCoy coming out of college, unlike with Mayfield.

Mayfield can extend plays and displays moxie; teammates seemed to respond to him (teammates love McCoy). He can be accurate down the field. He made some plays in college he won’t be able to in the NFL -- throwing back to the middle of the field or throwing the ball up for grabs. But being able to go off-schedule would appeal to Gruden. Mayfield’s size (around 6-foot) might matter to the Redskins and they’d have to be sold on the character, too. Then they must love his game.

At quarterback, you need the first-in, last-out type. Both Cousins and McCoy are that way. This story shows how hard McCoy has workedjust to stay sharp as a backup.

Mayfield also would generate buzz for a franchise that could use some if Cousins leaves. Is that a reason to draft him? No. And it’s not as if the fan base is craving Mayfield; he’s a prospect some love and others don’t. But that buzz would be an offshoot of adding him. Young quarterbacks always provide a modicum of hope, too. Nobody provided more than Griffin, a Heisman winner as well. Ironically, Cousins is the only quarterback Washington has drafted since 1989 who has panned out.

Archived