Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

@The ConsigliereOh, I know, and I trust your thinking here.  I certainly buy it being a lackluster draft for receivers, and that will depress the value you get in taking one.  With that said, if they like a guy that’s already a polished route runner and offers a bit more explosiveness than Doctson/Grant/Harris...it might still be worth it.  

Ideally (in my mind anyway), we add one of those FA receivers and then hope the draft can fill some of our other holes - potential starters at NT, RB, TE, LG and maybe ILB/S, and depth at DL, OL and maybe OLB.  If a receiver comes up and seems like good value to the team though, so be it.  

Part of my thinking here is if the FA receiver doesn’t work out, Doctson doesn’t progress or Crowder isn’t re-signed next year, we’ve at least taken a shot and can then go back to the well next year.  

Again though, I wouldn’t force it, and I’d be happy to see the FO show the foresight to draft for value (get a back this year if next year’s crop is underwhelming, and target a wr next year if this year’s is underwhelming, etc.).  

I follow a lot of draft guru/scout types on twitter and was late-night browsing recently so I forget who stated it, but someone called Deontay Burnett as this year's version of JuJu Smith-Schuster. USC, small-ish, put up big numbers, currently the #17 WR on Walter and a 3-5th grade. Mainly intrigued because Smith-Schuster was one of my draft crushes last year. Maybe a late 2nd or 3rd round WR option if we choose to go that route.

I'm still pretty intrigued by Robert Davis. Really small-school guy (FCS) who is raw but has amazing measurables. If he comes up to speed, he may be a sleeper to emerge at the WR position for us. I only wish we'd gotten a chance to see him a bit more this year.

I do think that between Doctson, Grant, Crowder, Davis and Harris, you've got 5 solid WRs but no real studs. On a good day Crowder and Doctson can be very good. But I don't know if you get that "stud" at WR in this draft, unless you use a high pick on someone like Calvin Ridley, which I can't really see us doing (I guess BPA is BPA). I think we're in a weird "in between" cycle at WR where as @skinny21 says, maybe you wait until next year to go back to the well if Doctson really turns out to be a WR2 at best. This could be a year where you add a 3rd or 4th round type to throw into the mix while you hope your current slate of guys pans out.

I will say, I hope we target Allen Robinson if he breaks free in free agency. He's the one guy that I think you could sign/draft that would instantly add that WR1 without any questions. Martavis Bryant might also be a bit of a head-case, but someone we could throw money at to become a deep threat for Kirk, if he's still here.

@JamesMadisonSkins

Just saw Walter has bumped Gallup down to the #20 spot.  Believe he’d be a steal in the later rounds.  Washington is also a playmaker (just a really interesting player to watch), though I think some team will have rated highly enough to go before where Walter’s projecting.  

Personally, I’d avoid the guys that are the big tall, not-so-fast, jump ball guys.  Look for good route runners with some explosion/burst that are hands catchers.  Speed would be a bonus, but as long as they can separate, catch and  are willing to block...

Edit:  realized it looks like I was also calling Gallup a playmaker... don’t think he is necessarily, he’s more like a Garcon-Lite.   

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@skinny21I'm still pretty intrigued by Robert Davis. Really small-school guy (FCS) who is raw but has amazing measurables. If he comes up to speed, he may be a sleeper to emerge at the WR position for us. I only wish we'd gotten a chance to see him a bit more this year.

I was looking for those measurables to appear from him in pre-season.  He had his chances, to put them on display.  He didn't (or couldn't).  I think he's an example of combine numbers not translating to the football field.

POS 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 TOT
OFF
QB 3 1 2 2 1 2 1 12
RB 2 2 3 4 5 4 4 24
WR 3 3 8 7 4 1 4 30
TE 1 1 2 1 3 3 2 13
OT 3 2 2 3 3 3 2 18
OG 2 2 2 4 3 2 2 17
OC 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 7
DEF
DT 2 3 4 4 2 4 2 21
DE 4 4 4 2 2 3 2 21
OLB 3 3 2 2 2 3 3 18
ILB 1 2 2 3 3 2 2 15
SAF 2 4 2 3 2 3 3 19
CB 5 5 6 3 4 5 4 32

Wow, the table actually translated. Didn't know if that was possible. I went back through the 2015-2017 drafts (3 years) and took the 3-year average at each position per round to get a sense of how many of each position get drafted each year. Now, there are certainly scheme-changes ... EDGE isn't a defined position but we all understand that it's a DE in a 4-3 and an OLB in the 3-4 and Jon Allen last year was a DE but played 3-4 DE. Aside from some slight position definition misalignments, this is pretty accurate.

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I will say, I hope we target Allen Robinson if he breaks free in free agency. He's the one guy that I think you could sign/draft that would instantly add that WR1 without any questions. Martavis Bryant might also be a bit of a head-case, but someone we could throw money at to become a deep threat for Kirk, if he's still here.

I like Robinson, too.  As for the draft, Christian Kirk intrigues me.  Fast-explosive-shifty and is also both a great kick and punt returner.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Christian Kirk intrigues me.  Fast-explosive-shifty and is also both a great kick and punt returner.

A Kirk to Kirk connection would be fun to hear, wouldn't it?!  That said, not really sold on getting another slot receiver.  Same with the thought of people wanting Jarvis Landry in FA.  And I've heard the arguments that Jarvis can do more, but the fact remains, he mostly a slot receiver.  And with the news today that Crowder is willing to do an extension, gonna guess we go elsewhere if that gets done.

3 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

A Kirk to Kirk connection would be fun to hear, wouldn't it?!  That said, not really sold on getting another slot receiver.  Same with the thought of people wanting Jarvis Landry in FA.  And I've heard the arguments that Jarvis can do more, but the fact remains, he mostly a slot receiver.  And with the news today that Crowder is willing to do an extension, gonna guess we go elsewhere if that gets done.

Yeah I think he at least has the size to play outside, X or Z but I agree only if they think he can play outside the slot.   The idea was to make Crowder more of an outside receiver this season -- Z.  I gather that's been abandoned?

I admit though what intrigues me is Kirk's kick-punt returning skills.  Tired of having crap special teams.  So if Kirk drops to the 2nd round, he's intriguing to me.  But not as much so as some of the potential running backs that could land at that spot.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Plus Kirk is probably a 1st round pick, right? Seems like Ridley, Kirk and Sutton being 1st rounders.

Depending on the mock, mostly late first, early 2nd.

38 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

I think someone mentioned earlier here that Kyle Lauletta from Richmond is a sleeper...

Watch for this kid on late Day #2 or early Day #3.  Remember, Bruce Allen is a Richmond Alum.... he'd like nothing better than to draft his franchise QB from the University of Richmond.   Also the marketing angle, which might even take precedence over his measurables and game tape given our knowledge of Snyder & Allen, a Richmond Spider QBing the Redskins in Richmond Virginia during Training Camp. "Oh.... the marketing value Dan.... our Training Camp will be packed and the talk of the NFL!" 

As for Lauletta's talent.... smart kid with a good arm and rather mobile.  Think Kirk Cousins with a bit more giddy-up.  

Sigh.... 

5 hours ago, Paul Cumberland said:

Interesting opinion piece here.  It compares the drafts of Shanahan, Allen and McCloughan and is backed up by some statistical data but admittedly states it's too small a sample size to convincingly conclude who was better..

Bruce Allen just might be a better drafter than Scot McCloughan

At a bare minimum, it seems apparent that Scot McCloughan was not as successful as some fans believe, and that Bruce Allen was not the disaster that his reputation bears, at least in terms of draft success.  In fact, a valid argument can be made that Allen produced better draft results than did McCloughan.

Click link above to read the full article

They used McCloughans board in 2017 which kinda invalidates the whole premise.

3 hours ago, Paul Cumberland said:

I think someone mentioned earlier here that Kyle Lauletta from Richmond is a sleeper...

His throwing motion is awkward in the way that Philip Rivers looks weird while he throws it.  If it ain't broke though...

2 hours ago, Cskin said:

Watch for this kid on late Day #2 or early Day #3.  Remember, Bruce Allen is a Richmond Alum.... he'd like nothing better than to draft his franchise QB from the University of Richmond.   Also the marketing angle, which might even take precedence over his measurables and game tape given our knowledge of Snyder & Allen, a Richmond Spider QBing the Redskins in Richmond Virginia during Training Camp. "Oh.... the marketing value Dan.... our Training Camp will be packed and the talk of the NFL!" 

As for Lauletta's talent.... smart kid with a good arm and rather mobile.  Think Kirk Cousins with a bit more giddy-up.  

Sigh.... 

Late Day 2?  Just looked it up, and it's not common for someone from that school to be drafted.  Last one was in the 5th round of 2013.  Last time someone was drafted in early Day 3 (so round 4) was 2009.  The last time someone was drafted before the 4th round was in 1982.

I think a QB with an awkward throwing motion can likely be had whenever in the draft.

On 1/9/2018 at 5:05 PM, PlayAction said:

Height was the knock on Russell Wilson - he's generously listed at 5'11.  

Russell has huge hands and a very high release point, which helps the height issue.  He also played in a pro style offense at Wisconsin. 

19 hours ago, Paul Cumberland said:

i watched Lauletta's film. He did impress me. I almost put him at number 10 on my list but I think Mike White is the better prospect of the two. I could see Lauletta getting drafted ahead of White though. It wouldnt shock me.  

Saw Lualetta play JMU a couple times. He always put up decent numbers, but nothing that jumped out at me. And I knew he was a draft prospect and still didn't strike me as anything special. Then again, it is hard to get a read for guys at the FCS level because of the talent they're surrounded by. JMU's QB Bryan Schor put up similar numbers if not better than Lualetta against similar competition over the last 2 years but hasn't been talked about much if at all as a pro-prospect, so who knows.

Archived