Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I read Arian's book, work ethic is important but another key thing for him with quarterbacks is the ability to process whats going around them fast.

I recall him saying in a classroom most qbs come off smart because they have the benefit of time. In a game you have to read coverages, set protections, go through your progessions lightening quick. Some quartebacks can, some can't and that for him is the end all be all.

A guy like Mayfield who plays in a spread system, out of the shot gun, against the atrocious big 12 defenses - i would presume would be a question mark with Arians.

Fair point. I agree that study habits are only half the battle, but given his current image and comparison to Johnny manziel I'd say that's at least an encouraging sign.

39 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Disagree, you can find difference makers all over... all on the GM at that point.

The Reality is we need a FS, ILB, DT, and an RB.....But perhaps FA will address two of those, Resign Brown, and sign Minter for ILB.

Draft Vita round one.... hope some good RBs are there when we pick 2nd, and neglect the FS position for the Nth time. Swearinger is a SS, that is where he is best.

Hopefully it’s on our scouts instead of our GM :)

I actually think Foster played well early (behind a pretty good dline).  I’d be fine with him returning or finding another ILB in FA.  I would add receiver, NT (which you addressed with Vita) and TE as needs.  Maybe we can make do with Sprinkle lining up on the line and Reed/Davis split out, even though I don’t trust those two to (run) block in space.  

We might be fine at FS with Nicholson and Smithson, but I certainly don’t have full confidence in them yet.  

While we were woefully deficient of playmakers/receiving weapons, I’d prioritize the run game and stopping the run first.  Particularly as we’ll get Reed and Thompson back.  So, NT and ILB, on D.  LG, TE and running back (and receiver) for the offense.  

After that, I’m looking at DE/DT, FS, OLB and then corner and SS (backup for Swearinger).  I’ve been pushing a DT pick early (the wheels fell off when Allen went out), but I’d feel a lot better about it if we got a guy like Vita or Payne.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we wind up taking a corner somewhat early - Manusky values them highly and if Breeland walks...  Not what I would do, but like I said, wouldn’t surprise me. 

FA - receiver and LG/ILB

1st round - I’m looking hard at dline (preferably NT), RB and LG

2nd round - same, but I’d add ILB

3rd - same, but add TE and receiver

4th - TE or whatever hasn’t been addressed

5th and beyond - whatever is needed to flesh out the roster with more competition (including qb).  

Of course, this post is mostly assuming we return Cousins and Brown... 

3 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Maybe trading out of the first isn't the way to do it, but I am not at all opposed to going from 13 to the 21-23 range and picking up another 2nd

I would be on board with that as well, mainly because we have several areas I’d like to see addressed.  

So instead of, say,

Rd 1:  top ranked NT 

Rd 2:  4th ranked guard

Rd 3:  7th ranked back

we could get

Rd 1:  2nd ranked guard

Rd 2:  4th ranked back 

Rd 2:  3rd ranked NT

Rd 3:  3rd ranked TE

Of course, I’d guess that our best offer is more likely a 4th or 5th to move down a few spots.  Never know though...

Well, 21 and 22 are the Bills and they seem to be the likelier target (eg if they like a Mayfield and we don't).  Not sure how much they'd want to move up, but if they think that the Cardinals would target them, might make sense.  They have the 56th pick from the Rams and their own 54th.  Doing strict point values 21 and 56 or 22 and 54 would be pretty fair deals.  

I'm really hoping for one of Nelson (OG), Vea, Payne, Wilkins (DL).  I'm not sure dropping that far would work out for that.  If we could land Wilkins/Payne there and have another 2nd, I'd certainly be excited.

Trade-downs are rare. Chances are we'll stick to #13. We may be in a position to reap some benefits if the Bills or Cards want to trade up to get one of the falling QBs, but typically the stars have to align for something to happen the way us fans "dream" of it happening.

I think you have a legit shot at a stud at #13. It's a pretty deep class, and the early run on QBs could push some talent further than expected. I think we'd have a real shot at FS Derwin James, ILB Roqon Smith, NT Vita Vea at #13. Any of those guys could help transform our defense. I'm fairly confident that if the team finds RB to be a true weakness, that we could land a stud RB in the 2nd, or even the 3rd, with the amount of depth there is this year at that position. Again, if you look at historic (last 3 years) averages, we should be able to get the 3rd or 4th best RB in this draft class when we pick in the 2nd round.

This off-season is a bit hard to project because there's the "with Cousins" route and the "without Cousins" route. Even if Cousins walks, there's quite a bit of talent at QB that I wouldn't chalk it up as a certainty for us to go QB at #13. I could see us rolling with Colt (or another FA QB like Smith, Bradford, Bridgewater) and taking a shot at someone in the 2nd or 3rd. Rosen, Darnold are likely gone in the Top 3. But then you've got Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph, Allen ... and it's highly likely one or more of those guys is still around at the Skins pick in the 2nd.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000866883/article/ask-5-whos-most-underrated-qb-in-college-football

Executive 1: Virginia QB Kurt Benkert
"He has good size, athletic ability and arm strength. He gets the ball out. He's accurate on three levels. Virginia is 5-2 with no real skill-player talent around him."

Executive 2: Oregon QB Justin Herbert
"I'd say Justin Herbert at Oregon. Dude can sling it and the Ducks really fell off after he went down (with an injury)."

Executive 3: Miami QB Malik Rosier
"Rosier has stepped in for (Brad) Kaaya and the team hasn't missed a beat. In fact, his mobility has probably improved them at the position. He shows the arm talent to develop into a next-level prospect with another year under (coach Mark) Richt."

Executive 4: Benkert
"I think Virginia's QB is pretty good. Nobody has been talking about him."

Executive 5: Benkert

"I didn't know much about Benkert before the season. He's been pretty impressive. He makes all of the throws."

Here's your Top 11 QBs per Walter and their projected rounds:

1. Josh Rosen (1)

2. Sam Darnold (1)

3. Josh Allen (1)

4. Lamar Jackson (1-2)

5. Baker Mayfield (1-2)

6. Drew Lock (1-3)

7. Luke Falk (3-4)

8. Mason Rudolph (3-4)

9. Jarrett Stidham (3-5)

10. Riley Ferguson (4-6)

11. Kurt Benker (4-6)

Got to imagine that if Cousins walks and they don't bring anyone else in to compete with Colt in FA (like a Viking QB or Smith), then the team is most likely to go QB in Round 1 or 2, so anyone through maybe Lock. If they bring back Kirk, or bring in someone like Teddy or Alex Smith to be the place-holder for a couple years, then maybe you look at those guys from Luke Falk down to Benker. Heck, even if Kirk were to come back, I wouldn't be shocked if they invested a 5th or 6th in a QB this year anyway.

I think Luke Falk is the prospect that drew a lot of Kirk Cousins pro comps.

JMS, i kinda agree but if we bring back Kirk, I don't see us picking a QB that early if at all. I'd think we go 6th or lower with Kirk, or maybe we just keep Stephen Morris as our developmental QB (but he's kinda old for a developmental QB). Going the re-sign route, I would think that the drafted QB is at best competing with McCoy, whereas the FA route, we're still drafting a guy to start in the future. That's where I think we get a Mason Rudolph or Luke Falk. I don't know where Kurt Benker fits into this because its hard to predict sleepers, hence the name.

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

JMS, i kinda agree but if we bring back Kirk, I don't see us picking a QB that early if at all. I'd think we go 6th or lower with Kirk, or maybe we just keep Stephen Morris as our developmental QB (but he's kinda old for a developmental QB). Going the re-sign route, I would think that the drafted QB is at best competing with McCoy, whereas the FA route, we're still drafting a guy to start in the future. That's where I think we get a Mason Rudolph or Luke Falk. I don't know where Kurt Benker fits into this because its hard to predict sleepers, hence the name.

Agreed. Let's say we sign Sam Bradford to compete with Colt, I would expect us to draft a Rudolph/Falk type in the 2nd or 3rd to sit the bench for 1-2 years (great if sooner). If we just have Colt to play, I think that's when you're looking at a 1st-2nd round guy to immediately compete, but ride the pine and learn and let Colt take the lumps if they're not ready.

I hate to get too excited for one guy, but the only QB I think I'd be super excited for at #13 is Jackson. I think his upside is insane and his comparisons to RG3 aren't fair.

Walter has the run on RBs starting early 2nd. Makes sense. They've got Barkley @ #1 overall to Cleveland and then ...

1. Browns - Saquon Barkley

25. Bills - Bryce Love

34. Giants - Damien Harris

36. Colts - Nick Chubb

37. Jets - Derrius Guice

38. Tampa Bay - Sony Michel

41. Raiders - Kerryon Johnson

44. Redskins - Ronald Jones

8 RBs in the first 44 picks seems highly unlikely considering the average is 4 in the first 2 rounds, but it is a loaded class and there are teams up top with big holes at the position.

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000866883/article/ask-5-whos-most-underrated-qb-in-college-football

Executive 1: Virginia QB Kurt Benkert
"He has good size, athletic ability and arm strength. He gets the ball out. He's accurate on three levels. Virginia is 5-2 with no real skill-player talent around

This would be a dream pick for Bruce.  He could finally call his QB Kurt with impunity. :)

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Walter has the run on RBs starting early 2nd. Makes sense. They've got Barkley @ #1 overall to Cleveland and then ...

1. Browns - Saquon Barkley

25. Bills - Bryce Love

34. Giants - Damien Harris

36. Colts - Nick Chubb

37. Jets - Derrius Guice

38. Tampa Bay - Sony Michel

41. Raiders - Kerryon Johnson

44. Redskins - Ronald Jones

8 RBs in the first 44 picks seems highly unlikely considering the average is 4 in the first 2 rounds, but it is a loaded class and there are teams up top with big holes at the position.

Yeah especially if the Giants pass on Barkley, can't see how they pass on RB in round 2.   I hope the Giants take Rosen (if the Browns take Darnold) and not Barkley.  But their new GM is obsessed with building the lines so maybe they go O line in that spot in the 2nd rd.

At the moment, I love speed at RB (considering all the 4.6 guys we have in house) so Michel, Jones and maybe Harris intrigue me at #2 if they fall. 

10 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Trade-downs are rare. Chances are we'll stick to #13. We may be in a position to reap some benefits if the Bills or Cards want to trade up to get one of the falling QBs, but typically the stars have to align for something to happen the way us fans "dream" of it happening.

If and when it does, it's for a QB.  I do think the Bills will feel a bigger need after angering Taylor and Peterman won't excite any fans after his terrible start.   Steelers could be another option depending on thoughts of Big Ben.  Outside of a QB, I do agree a trade down is unlikely. 

9 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

7. Luke Falk (3-4)

I think Luke Falk is the prospect that drew a lot of Kirk Cousins pro comps.

I think this would make a lot of sense if we have Cousins on a 1 year deal again.  Although this would officially signal the end I'd think.  Leaves the 1st and 2nd for say DL and RB.  Considering the run on RB that is listed on Walterfootball, I'm not sure we'd want to go at the end of the run.  However, if we wait until 3rd/4th, then we could be looking at another Perine.  Not that I think Perine is bad (or that he won't improve).  I just don't think using a pick on a similar level talent improves our situation.  Torn of this depending on who is actually there for our 2nd.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah especially if the Giants pass on Barkley, can't see how they pass on RB in round 2.   I hope the Giants take Rosen (if the Browns take Darnold) and not Barkley.  But their new GM is obsessed with building the lines so maybe they go O line in that spot in the 2nd rd.

In the draft shown, Giants don't pass on Barkley as he goes #1.  I think it's a good play for the Browns since Rosen said he doesn't want to play for them and Indy doesn't need a QB (which could then become a opening for Jets/Broncos...others to trade up and take Darnold).  I'm rooting for it either way as I hope Barkley isn't a Giant.

1 hour ago, jsharrin55 said:

In the draft shown, Giants don't pass on Barkley as he goes #1.  I think it's a good play for the Browns since Rosen said he doesn't want to play for them and Indy doesn't need a QB (which could then become a opening for Jets/Broncos...others to trade up and take Darnold).  I'm rooting for it either way as I hope Barkley isn't a Giant.

All mocks of course are hypothetical. Though i enjoy reading them for entertainment value. I do not care how the Giants pass up Barkley just as long as they do.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-nfl-draft-prospect-national-championship-recap

Georgia LB Roquan Smith, 86.0 overall grade

Georgia LB Roquan Smith

Smith, like the aforementioned Baker, was absolutely stifling all over the field against the Crimson Tide. He rushed the passer just four times, but recorded a sack and a hurry, brought in 11 total tackles including six stops and in 37 snaps in coverage, was targeted just once and allowed just one yard on the reception. Smith is arguably the most all-around talented linebacker in the country and all of his skills were on display on the biggest stage, further cementing his claim to possibly be the first linebacker drafted in April.

26 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-nfl-draft-prospect-national-championship-recap

Georgia LB Roquan Smith, 86.0 overall grade

Smith, like the aforementioned Baker, was absolutely stifling all over the field against the Crimson Tide. He rushed the passer just four times, but recorded a sack and a hurry, brought in 11 total tackles including six stops and in 37 snaps in coverage, was targeted just once and allowed just one yard on the reception. Smith is arguably the most all-around talented linebacker in the country and all of his skills were on display on the biggest stage, further cementing his claim to possibly be the first linebacker drafted in April.

Smith has gotten a bunch of coverage on this thread.  I am wondering though at this point whether he even drops to 13, though.

Out of the game the two risers to me seemed to be Payne and Michel.   I wonder now if Michel creeps into the late first let alone drop to our 2nd round pick.  Payne is intriguing -- big enough to play nose and has some potential to bring some rush as evident from last night.

I'm a BPA guy but at times like these I like to fantasize about things, particurly as we have a team with holes. I can't say I'd have a problem with Payne or Michel but seeing how Brown transformed our defense, I can't help but imagine what it would look like with a guy like Smith next to him. Payne is a guy I could fall in love with as well. Probably samw with Michel but I haven't studied them nearly as much as I have QBs and Smith and Smith is the guy I'd be most happy with (not saying he's BPA but just saying that our defense could be nasty with him).

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm a BPA guy but at times like these I like to fantasize about things, particurly as we have a team with holes. I can't say I'd have a problem with Payne or Michel but seeing how Brown transformed our defense, I can't help but imagine what it would look like with a guy like Smith next to him. Payne is a guy I could fall in love with as well. Probably samw with Michel but I haven't studied them nearly as much as I have QBs and Smith and Smith is the guy I'd be most happy with (not saying he's BPA but just saying that our defense could be nasty with him).

Depending on what happens on QB to me the rest of it is mostly about stopping the run and running the ball.   Up the middle, Payne-Vea are intriguing to me.   Ditto R. Jones.  Jones' hype at this point is akin to R. Foster last year and Foster was mostly projected a top ten guy until all the personal baggage stuff-injury concerns started creeping up and he slid. 

I mentioned before last nights game that at RB I am especially intrigued by speed at that position. Michel was one of the guys who intrigued me.  The dude had an insane, 7.2 YPA.  And for a speedy guy, he has decent size - 5-11 215.   Other fast backs like Ronald Jones (6.1 YPA) and B. Love (8.3 YPA) are smaller guys. 

I want a RB who is explosive and can hit a home run.  For our guys, explosion is a 6-8 yard run.  I want a guy who can take it to the house. 

Archived