Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Haven't seen him talked about on here yet  but one guy, a 'must-have' for me, is TE Dallas Goedert. Should be a Day 2 pick, for us!

6'5, 260, runs a 4.65 with a 36" vertical. He runs the 20-yard short shuttle at 4.21 which is faster than Evan Engram.

10 1/8" Hands.... that's incredible. This year he put up over 1,100 yards on 72 receptions and 6 touchdowns. He had over 6 100+yard games.

Can he block?  We need TE's that don't whiff on defenders and let the RB get tackled as soon as the ball is handed off.

From watching the video you posted, he's huge, wide catch radius, good hands, doesn't have near the shake and bake that Reed has, and to a lesser extent Engram.

What makes guys like Gronk, Kelce, Gates, and Witten so valuable is that they all block.  It forces the defense to play conventionally.  They can't put a lanky coverage guy on them.  Reed couldn't really block, but he was so damn good setting up his routes that it didn't matter.  Jason Witten's blocking set up his receiving.

If his routes aren't as good as Engram's or Reed's, then he has to be able to block well enough to force defenses to play conventional.  So, can he block?

AZ - Read this article... Comparison to Delanie Walker... Willing and capable blocker.... tests similarly to Gronk. I'd personally consider him more of a Kelce who I coveted.

https://fouracesscouting.com/2016/12/30/dallas-goedert-the-fcs-te-that-needs-your-attention/

https://herosports.com/fcs-football/nfl-draft-mel-kiper-jr-dallas-goedert-zach-ertz-todd-heap-byby

Todd McShay now calling him #1 TE in the draft..... jump on the train while you can...

"He also has the body control to make absolute circus catches – see Q1 5:06 of the 2016 Villanova game for a superb example.  It was, however, as a blocker that Goedert surprised me.  He shows desire, good technique and the ability to sustain blocks – indeed, there were times when he was positively dominant.  I haven’t seen a better TE block this year than the one he made in the 2016 North Dakota State game (Q3, 6:08), where he gives a clinic in how to open up a hole in the run game.  He can occasionally over-extend as a blocker but this is a minor quibble; in essence, his blocking is really very good.  Goedert will, of course, have to overcome questions about the level of competition he faced and I think he is a very good athlete without being an outstanding one.  Overall, though, I think he has the skill-set and attitude to be a very good starting TE in the NFL and I would not be at all surprised to find him in the discussion for a 1st round pick, come next year."

https://nfldraftprospects.wordpress.com/2017/09/06/dallas-goedert-te-south-dakota-state-88/

Welcome to nfl draft season, where professional talent evaluators constantly overdraft flawed or mediocre QBs that looked good in college because they played on loaded teams in simple offenses that don’t translate. This is my first post in this thread and I have a few thoughts. 

Having watched Jackson and Mayfield in their bowl games vs good teams, I would want nothing to do with them in the first round. They are simply not accurate passers and will struggle with this transition to the nfl. Rosen is a good QB prospect and will go in the top 2 picks. 

Browns should trade down from 1. Someone will want to leapfrog the Giants for Rosen. They could get a HAUL from the Jets and still own the 4th and 6th picks. They aren’t ready for a rookie QB yet. 

Barkley shouldn’t make it past the 2nd pick. Great prospect who will make it easy on a young QB. Browns should strongly consider him at 1 instead of Rosen if they can’t get trade value for some reason. 

There are a number of good defensive players that will go between 10-20 and the Skins should draft one of them even if Cousins walks. I’d love to go DL again and turn a weakness (last year) into a legitimate strength. Secondary could also use another piece, and pairing Roquan Smith with Zach Brown would be legit. Skins will have options. 

I get the feeling that if Mayfield is there we pick him assuming no deal is done with Cousins.  Just a hunch.  I wouldn't hate the pick, but I would rather go O/D line or RB depending on who fell and then look at a guy like Mason Rudolph in the 2nd.  He was 4th in overall QBR and had a very good TD/INT ratio.. completion pct was 65% and it has moved up every year since he was the starter.  Any thoughts?

My hope is that Mayfield drops to 13 and we can pillage some team behind us to trade up a king's ransom to get him. Probably won't happen though. We're never the team that rips someone else off. You know what they say: if you can't spot the sucker at the table then you are the sucker.

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

There are a number of good defensive players that will go between 10-20 and the Skins should draft one of them even if Cousins walks. I’d love to go DL again and turn a weakness (last year) into a legitimate strength. Secondary could also use another piece, and pairing Roquan Smith with Zach Brown would be legit. Skins will have options. 

I absolutely love Smith. He is everything you want in a MLB. He brings the wood and has a knack for making the play when it is needed. I have a top ten grade on him.

Any Marshall guys/gals on this forum? Would love to hear thoughts on QB Chase Litton.... Certainly looks the part, 6'6, 235, with a fantastic TD:INT ratio. I've seen a few cut-ups and his release is super quick with decent accuracy and nice arm strength.

I havent started looking at QB tape yet so I cant comment. But I was definitely sad to hear about the young man from Marshall that was paralyzed up in Severn after being shot on NY Eve. Scary world we live in sometimes.

Any Marshall guys/gals on this forum? Would love to hear thoughts on QB Chase Litton.... Certainly looks the part, 6'6, 235, with a fantastic TD:INT ratio. I've seen a few cut-ups and his release is super quick with decent accuracy and nice arm strength.

Season ticket holder. Strong enough arm. Not accurate. Not smart. Minimal improvement from Freshman year when he looked really promising. The game should have really slowed down for him this year in his 3rd year. He looks worse in many areas. He looks to have hit his ceiling which like a bunk bed in a trailer. Just doesn't seem to have anything going on between the ears.

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I absolutely love Smith. He is everything you want in a MLB. He brings the wood and has a knack for making the play when it is needed. I have a top ten grade on him.

He was all over the field against Oklahoma. I agree there’s a good chance he is top 10. 

3 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

He was all over the field against Oklahoma. I agree there’s a good chance he is top 10. 

What surprises me is the number of sites that haven't updated him and still have him as a 2nd-5th round ILB. Maybe it is his size? But I have seen him in the Top 15 in many recent mocks, but some of the prospect rankings are a lot lower on him than I would have expected. But you're right, his game against Oklahoma was dominant, and even if he's a bit undersized, he can do it all, and should be a Top 15 pick.

I think if he's there at 13 we think long and hard about it. Obviuosly a ton will change, but if you told me today that we would get Smith in the 1st and then any of the RBs of Guice, Kerryon, Michel, Chubb, etc. in the 2nd ... I'd say with the injury bounce-backs from last year and smart off-season cap management (assuming Kirk is back and we can get a solid WR opposite Doctson in FA) then we should be moving in the right direction.

I think we're 1-2 defensive pieces and a play-making WR/RB on offense away from being good if fully healthy. Those 2 opening picks would go a long way to making a difference.

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

AZ - Read this article... Comparison to Delanie Walker... Willing and capable blocker.... tests similarly to Gronk. I'd personally consider him more of a Kelce who I coveted.

They all love him but they are talking about him being a late first round or second round talent.  Do you really think he would last until the fourth round?  How high would you be willing to draft him if the 4th was not a possibility after the combine?  3rd but no higher?  Lower 2nd round selection (via trade down)?  

14 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

They all love him but they are talking about him being a late first round or second round talent.  Do you really think he would last until the fourth round?  How high would you be willing to draft him if the 4th was not a possibility after the combine?  3rd but no higher?  Lower 2nd round selection (via trade down)?  

Personally, I'd take him in the 2nd round... but I also feel like we have a very decent team on paper that was decimated by injuries. Of course, we would need to re-sign Brown, Cousins, etc.

I don't have faith in Reed at all and we need some offensive playmakers. Someone that Kirk can trust (assuming he's back)

I don't think we are far away from perennial playoff contenders. I think we need a true bell-cow back (possibly first round) and then OG in the third round with potentially trading up to the 3rd round again for DL.... Other than that, I am actually quite happy with this team, on paper.

8 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I think we need a true bell-cow back (possibly first round) and then OG in the third round with potentially trading up to the 3rd round again for DL.... Other than that, I am actually quite happy with this team, on paper.

1st RB; 2nd  TE;  3 OG.  I'm guessing you are trying to establish a consistently productive offense.  Fair enough.  The Defense will perform better if the Offense can be relied upon to sustain drives.    

Goedert won't last until R4 ... he's 3rd or earlier and likely a late 1st - mid 2nd guy. He and Mark Andrews are the top 2 TEs. Plus these sleepers NEVER end up falling to where us fans want/try to mock them. Just doesn't happen, especially in the 4th-5th round range. If we fall in love with sleeper prospects, you know multiple teams are too.

Here are the RB needy teams. I classified "RB needy" as being "would easily take an RB in the 1st or 2nd"

Cleveland (1,4), Giants (2), Colts (3), Denver (5), Jets (6), Tampa Bay (7), Oakland (9), Washington (13), Baltimore (16), Seattle (18), Detroit (20), Buffalo (21, 27), New England (30)

Now, technically from a BPA standpoint, anyone on that list can be in the Barkley sweepstakes. But I think you're looking at him going to either Cleveland, NYG, Colts, Jets or Tampa if he gets that far. After that, I don't know that there's any RB worthy of an under-20 pick. But then you can see teams like Seattle, Detroit, or New England investing a mid to late 1st in whoever that "next guy" ends up being. But the bottom line is any of those teams above that doesn't draft Barkley, particularly those in the early parts of the round, will be looking heavily at RB in the 2nd, where I could see there beign a run.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-best-pro-fits-for-2018-nfl-draft-prospects-in-the-college-football-playoff-final

NICK CHUBB, RB, GEORGIA

Georgia RB Nick Chubb

Best fits: Washington Redskins, Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

It’s been an incredible career for Chubb, who burst onto the scene in 2014, filling in for an injured Todd Gurley and even outperforming the superstar in some aspects. Chubb has dealt with injuries throughout his four years at Georgia, but this was his best season since that breakout freshman campaign, as he averaged a career-high 3.9 yards after contact per rush and forced 56 missed tackles on only 205 rushes. He’s an efficient runner who can maximize what the run-blocking gives him while tacking on a little extra with his speed and power. The Redskins, Seahawks, and Buccaneers could also use that efficiency in their respective run games, and while Chubb is unlikely to be a first-round pick, he’d make a fine Day 2 addition to any of of those teams. 

7 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

1st RB; 2nd  TE;  3 OG.  I'm guessing you are trying to establish a consistently productive offense.  Fair enough.  The Defense will perform better if the Offense can be relied upon to sustain drives.    

I mean I agree with this sentiment, and a lot depends on the off-season, but I also think BPA is the way to sustain success. There's a lot of talent at RB this year, so I wouldn't mind going defense in the 1st, but then would be all for going offense the rest of the picks with a defense sprinkled in from time to time.

1. ILB ... 2. RB ... 3. WR .... 4. DL .... 5. TE ... etc etc

Really depends on FA though. Assuming we can plug a hole or two with "solid" depth or rotational guys to complement our youth and draft picks.

I am sure I'm in the minority here and probably get blasted and more than likely rightfully so but I am just not feeling Roquan Smith. Watching him the other night as well as several other players I saw the potential of what Pro Offensive Lines could do to him. When a guard got to the second level on him he was completely and I mean completely taken out of the play. He could not get away once the guard engaged. He looked like a child trying to wrestle candy away from an adult. To his credit he made several big plays in the second half to redeem himself which is a very good thing. Now that could be some good line play or the inability of Smith to break blocks very well. He reminds me a lot of our own Zach Brown. I don't think he is that fantastic either. I know light the torches and get the pitchforks for that too. Both can tackle and provide that big hit but in coverage or traffic he is woeful. I could be wrong and as I said probably am but I don't dig the guy at all. Personal preference I guess.

Of all the football that was on New Years day the guy I enjoyed the most was Maurice Hurst of Michigan. That burst he has off the line at 280 plus is a thing to behold. Is able to get penetration with it and not get hung up. Can collapse the pocket or provide rush on the edge. Yes is stout in the run too. He was just doing everything and I think he is flying really low on the radar. I still hope we go DL with the first pick and its Vea but Hurst is my man crush right now.

I’m curious about positional dropoff round to round and tier to tier.  For example, I’d much rather have Guice or Chubb than Michel, Scott and Ballage.       

So what about dropoffs at other positions of need - DL, TE, WR, RB, ILB?

Seems like there’s some good talent at TE, RB and receiver, but I’m less sure about the other positions.  

Mentioned that I’d be happy to get a DT in the early rounds, but with McGee (maybe McClain) and Lanier backing up those spots, I wouldn’t mind a NT instead.  Beef up our base D vs the run and address the offense with early picks on a back, TE and mid round receiver (I like Gallup - reminds me of Garçon with a bit more speed, and Campbell - playmaking ability, but there are others).  

I’d hate to ignore the left guard spot though, and I’d love to pick up a good ILB....

I’d really hate to give up one of those picks to have to address qb though.  

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m curious about positional dropoff round to round and tier to tier.  For example, I’d much rather have Guice or Chubb than Michel, Scott and Ballage.       

So what about dropoffs at other positions of need - DL, TE, WR, RB, ILB?

Seems like there’s some good talent at TE, RB and receiver, but I’m less sure about the other positions.  

Mentioned that I’d be happy to get a DT in the early rounds, but with McGee (maybe McClain) and Lanier backing up those spots, I wouldn’t mind a NT instead.  Beef up our base D vs the run and address the offense with early picks on a back, TE and mid round receiver (I like Gallup - reminds me of Garçon with a bit more speed, and Campbell - playmaking ability, but there are others).  

I’d hate to ignore the left guard spot though, and I’d love to pick up a good ILB....

I’d really hate to give up one of those picks to have to address qb though.  

I'll just comment on WR because I need to head out the door. This isn't a good WR draft. There's some decent second tier depth (guys who could be slot guys or WR2's if everything breaks right-likely to be drafted between about slot 50-125), but there isn't much of any elite high upside talent, and when you combine that with the fact that the 2019 class is considered one of the top 3 WR's classes of the past twenty-five years (alongside 2014, 2001, and 1996), WR should be addressed via FA, or passed over w/a focus in 2019 on the position, that would also give us time to further evaluate Crowder and Doctson and see just how WR needy we are at the slot, and at flanker, and split end and even stretch-X.

Archived