Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

20 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Allen and Rudolph are my two. I think Allen could drop to 13 (I kinda hope he doesn't) because he's not a top QB. There's Darnold and Rosen who will probably go top 5. Allen is probably next on the list but its debatable. 

I am couching every time I talk QBs by saying first I am not even a little excited by it.  I hate the idea. :)  Among other reasons, what an opportunity cost to lose the ability to add a marquee defensive player.  Now moving to these two players. 

I only watched Allen play one game.  It was easy to tell why scouts say his arm is Flacco level -- rocket level.  Like Wentz for a big dude he could move.  But he struggled against weak opposition -- his critics say he's a poor decision maker, has poor touch on short throws among other things.

I was reading one of the NY papers that discussed the Jets liking Allen and they thought they'd have to trade up for him, maybe.  Unlike other positions, the QBs tend to exceed mock draft projections.  Cooley thinks Allen will just blow people's socks off in the Senior Bowl practices and that will make him a riser.  Will see.  But at the moment, I am doubting he drops to 13.

As for Mason Rudolph, I watched him a bunch.  But I really struggle to make sense of any Big 12 QB.    Most of them tend to struggle in the NFL.  I guess Bradford and Dalton have been decent albeit not great.   He's a big dude.  He looks the part.  If you draft him, I'd try to get his Desean Jackson -- James Washington.  I have mentioned Rudolph the most in the context of drafting a QB simply because he seems to be the guy most likely still available at #13.   I noticed plenty aren't in love with him.  He will have a chance soon to showcase himself in the Senior Bowl.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/19/mason-rudolph-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report

“He’s O.K.,” said one AFC scouting director. “He’s playing in a great, quarterback-friendly offense. Probably has a top 10-caliber group of receivers. Gundy is a greatcoach and does an outstanding job with that offense. I’m not sold on him as a top guy . . . He’s a decent athlete. He’s tough and runs that offense well. But not sure the video game numbers he’s gonna put up this year will translate to the NFL.”

“He’s got good size,” was the positive an AFC personnel exec found before echoing the sentiment, “but his arm strength is lacking and he’s inconsistent with his accuracy.”

Added an area scout: “Not as good as the media wants everyone to believe; he’s a Day 3 guy. His accuracy isn’t as good as the numbers show—his receivers make a lot of tough catches for him. Arm strength is adequate, not tops. What’s the difference between him and Bryce Petty?”

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to JP Finlay's segment from a day ago.  He said talking to people in the FO -- he learned they like Josh Allen.  If so, if I recall Monk guessed awhile back that they'd like Allen. So he's correct.   

Finlay said he also heard they like Mason Rudolph.  He doesn't think they'd trade up for a QB. (if so I doubt Allen is in play because I doubt he drops that far)

And they they don't dig Lamar Jackson, Mayfield.  He didn't per se theorize that they are taking a QB but if they do that's what he is hearing.

Allen is a very intriguing prospect. Huge dude, insane arm, great scrambling and escapability for his size, great at throwing on the run and finding open guys when things go off script, good mechanics. But his decision making is downright bad sometimes and his numbers leave a lot to be desired. Yeah he played behind a crap OL and really had very few weapons around him but he still makes me just...unsure...when I've watched him play. Incredibly fun to watch, but just not sure how it will translate into the pros. Could end up Carson Wentz, could end up Blake Bortles. 

I really hope they aren't that interested in Rudolph. His game tape just doesn't look like anything special to me at all. Good size, decent arm, relatively accurate. But plays in an incredibly QB friendly offense designed specifically to put up gaudy stats like he has. Most throws seem to be half field reads and only have a couple of options. Throws to guys who are wide open very often, gets tons of time in the pocket. I basically see a less talented Sam Bradford. 

40 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I think Bortles is a product of failed coaching, the kid has a tremendous amount of talent and has somehow lost confidence.  I would love to see what Jay could do with him for a year.

Now that I think about it, I actually don't necessarily disagree. Even his numbers aren't all that awful. Yeah, it's not very impressive for a 3rd overall pick but it isn't like he's going out and throwing for 10 TDs and 20 INTs every season. I wonder how ready Jax is to give up on him. 

Reference some perspective to QB talk, check out this combine scouting report of Kirk back in the day.  

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kirk-cousins?id=2532820

OVERVIEW

Cousins was a three-year starter, as well as a rare three-year captain, at Michigan State. He is a self-made guy, a tireless worker who has deficiencies that could hurt his pro potential. He is not a very strong deep thrower; while his velocity is adequate, his accuracy when throwing deep is questionable. Ultimately, Cousins is a guy who could get drafted based on his experience and intangibles, and will need to put on size and fine-tune certain throwing deficiencies to catch on at the next level. Based on the production and leadership at Michigan State, Cousins has late-round value to a team looking for someone to compete for a backup role.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Cousins has all the intangibles necessary for an NFL quarterback and has been a productive three-year starter. The fact that he was a three-year captain will be highly regarded by NFL general managers. He is an accurate and safe thrower who knows how to pick his spots. He is a good athlete who can make plays on the run, but is not going to run past many NFL defenders. A safe pick as a backup option.

WEAKNESSES

Cousins is widely considered to be a game manager type at the next level. He makes good decisions with the ball but has not shown he can make the flash plays to move the offense and win games for his team at the next level. He will need talent around him to succeed, which limits his value.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Now that I think about it, I actually don't necessarily disagree. Even his numbers aren't all that awful. Yeah, it's not very impressive for a 3rd overall pick but it isn't like he's going out and throwing for 10 TDs and 20 INTs every season. I wonder how ready Jax is to give up on him. 

We'll see if what the owner said last week ends up being true, he came out in support of Bortles so I'm guessing only a very poor game against Pittsburgh changes that.

I think he has huge upside and right now it's just a mental thing. Bortles had to play with mostly rookies and nobodies at WR all year but he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for whatever reason.

On 1/12/2018 at 3:37 PM, HoggLife said:

There is no way 4 RB's go in the 1st round. We will have action at the 3rd best RB with our 2nd round pick.

I could see us missing on the top 5 rbs depening on who u like before our 3rd rd pick. SB,DG,Sony,Jones, KJ, and Penny are my favs. Not sure on Love, Chubb, and Arkum. Love how Penny can return kicks.

On 1/13/2018 at 3:57 PM, panahoo said:

Care to fill me in. What did i miss?

College life in gorgeous Northern California. One of the reasons Love didn't declare I'm guessing. Any Richmond fans/alums in here? I think Kyle Lauletta has a shot if he can sit a couple of years. 

7 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

College life in gorgeous Northern California. One of the reasons Love didn't declare I'm guessing. Any Richmond fans/alums in here? I think Kyle Lauletta has a shot if he can sit a couple of years. 

Today is the last day to declare? Do i have that wrong?

26 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

No but I think he already said he's staying in school, but I could be wrong. 

Bryce Love has yet to declare and today is deadline day...  Hopefully we'll hear one way or the other at some point today.

I did find an interesting article from a Stanford fan site that listed 3 reasons why he may choose to stay in school.  In brief they are:

1. Injury concerns where he's trying to get healthy

2. Wants to get his degree

3. Potential of being #1 back selected in 2019 draft

Story is here: https://www.diehards.com/stanford/three-factors-delaying-bryce-love-decision

If Love joins Harris that takes 2 RBs with 1st-2nd round grades off the table, which will possibly impact who is available for us if the run on RBs occurs early 2nd, where some expect it to take place.

I could see 1-2 RBs selected in the 1st .. but once that 2nd round starts I wouldn't be shocked if 3-4 RBs go off the board before out pick. In that case, I'd hit pause and go elsewhere, and if one of the guys in that next tier falls to you in the 3rd or 4th you consider taking one there. 

Just checked the new Walter mock ... still have the run on RBs in the 2nd. Barkley #1, then Love, Michel, Guice, Ronald Jones and Nick Chubb going #34, 36, 37, 38 and 41. Then they have Redskins taking Kerryon Johnson from Auburn at #44. Overall, the mock is perfect IMO. Vita Vea in the 1st, Johnson in the 2nd, Deontay Burnett in the 3rd and Will Clapp in the 4th. Don't know much about Clapp but it's a good "G/C" pick there in the 4th to help out our OL. So to summarize, we'd go DL, RB, WR, OL ... not bad, assuming you address ILB and some other holes in FA and obviously QB in some capacity (be it Bridgewater or Cousins). 

Just looked at Walter myself.  I see the Browns going without a QB at 1 & 4 (they speculate AJ McCarron, Kirk or Alex Smith being the way they go).  Giants taking Rosen at 2, Broncos taking Darnold at 5 and Jets taking Mayfield at 6.  Then no other QBs taken before our pick.  Arden Key going at 7 to the Bucs is a bit of a surprise.  Thought he'd drop due to character concerns but then again they selected Warren Sapp back in the day when there were concerns with him too.  Then they have Quenton Nelson going to the 49rs at 9, Da'Ron Payne going to the Raiders at 10 and Derwin James going to the Bengals at 12.

If all that comes to pass, I certainly wouldn't mind Vea at 13.  Our fan base has been clamoring for a NT for quite some time.. Though personally, I'm not sure he'd be a 3-down lineman like I believe Da'Ron could be.  Plus there's still Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson if we really think we need to take a QB in the 1st.  Personally, I'm not that high on Allen - consider him very raw and a project - and I just don't see our FO going for a dual-threat QB again, like Jackson.

The other big-name option still on the board when we select is Roquan Smith.  Walter has Roquan going to the Cowboys, of all places, at 19..  That would really blow, IMO..  Him and Sean Lee would be quite the pairing.

If others want to have a gander, the link to their mock is here: http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2018.php

On 1/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, pcbothwel said:

Can someone deeper into the scouting world explain why Kurt Benkert is not a day 2 prospect? I see good size, quick feet, quick release, strong arm, eyes going through progressions, etc.

I heard the Skins have him very high on their board, probable Day 1... Bruce gets to say his favorite name 2X every time. 

Archived