Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

10 hours ago, twa said:

Biden is the wild card that could enable a Bernie win.

Biden is another bought and paid for corporate Democrat and complete clown to boot. I will never understand why folks support them. They are as bad the Republicans in many aspects. I would think most people would want real hope and change - not the fairy dust nonsense we've seen for decades now. The country is a dumpster fire and has been that way for far too long. I do not want Trump nor do I want anything to do with the corporate Democrats. The country desperately needs to go in another direction.

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

"For a sliver of Sanders' base; its Bernie or bust."

Stopped at the second sentence.

You know how ****ing stupid a sliver of anyone's base is? 

Unfortunately, I think it's way more than a sliver.  We saw it happen in 2016.  A lot of them want their way and if they don't get it, they want Trump as a **** you to the people that didn't give them their way.  Or they think everyone except Bernie is just the same as Trump (corporatists (whatever that means), bought and paid for my special interests, puppets for their mysterious benefactors). 

Personally, I think Bernie is the left's mirror image of Trump (old, loud and cranky that blames everyone's problems on "others" but with no realistic solutions for addressing them, just demagoguery that sounds good if you don't understand the details). 

51 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Personally, I think Bernie is the left's mirror image of Trump (old, loud and cranky that blames everyone's problems on "others" but with no realistic solutions for addressing them, just demagoguery that sounds good if you don't understand the details). 

I'd say more than Bernie:Trump, it's Bernie Bros:Trumpers.  

59 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

A lot of them want their way and if they don't get it, they want Trump as a **** you to the people that didn't give them their way.  

This is simply a narrative. You can hardly differentiate between a Sanders supporter and your average Democrat. 8%-10% of Democrats voted for Trump. 35% of Democrats stayed home. Similar #s for Sanders supporters. What you're really saying is the Democratic Party said **** you.

Bernie is like Trump in that he demonizes the rich and throws around millionaires, billionaires, and corporations without much context 

Mirror image is laughable. I don't see any Dems candidates doing town halls on Fox News or vice versa. 

we 

*sorry on my phone and can't quote correctly

Keeping an eye on the Dem race now it's got to be Bernie and Biden (if he runs) followed closely by Beto and Mayor Pete and Andrew. 

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Right now it's Beto, Kamala, or Buddha judge for me. That will change I'm sure but I really expect Beto fever to spread. 

He was in VA yesterday. MSNBC would not shut up about him being in Fredericksburg and driving around 100 events over the last few days in his Dodge Caravan

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Right now it's Beto, Kamala, or Buddha judge for me. That will change I'm sure but I really expect Beto fever to spread. 

Beto is gonna get knocked around, we will see how he handles it. :pint:

If Biden gets in Beto will suffer.

The problem with Bernie is that 1) most of his ideas aren't practical and 2) he is too old and out of touch to offer practical solutions to today's America. In 2016 he would have been a good candidate. Too bad Hillary and the establishment worked to kick him out of the nomination. 

I have a hunch that if Biden jumps into the race, it basically becomes a 2016 Redux with Biden in the Hillary role.  Even though the field represents a big variety on the sliding scale of Establishment--->Progressive, I think the masses would see Biden & Bernie in there and view them as the two major philosophical positions of the DNC.   

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I have a hunch that if Biden jumps into the race, it basically becomes a 2016 Redux with Biden in the Hillary role.  Even though the field represents a big variety on the sliding scale of Establishment--->Progressive, I think the masses would see Biden & Bernie in there and view them as the two major philosophical positions of the DNC.   

Biden would likely have gotten the nomination and won it all in 2016. In light of recent reporting though, I wonder if he's damaged goods for the Dems.

As for Bernie, maybe his 30+ years of identifying as an independent rather than a Democrat kept the plurality of Democrat voters from voting for him in the primaries?

29 minutes ago, Mooka said:

This is simply a narrative. You can hardly differentiate between a Sanders supporter and your average Democrat. 8%-10% of Democrats voted for Trump. 35% of Democrats stayed home. Similar #s for Sanders supporters. What you're really saying is the Democratic Party said **** you.

I'd like to see your data on 8-10% of Democrats voted for Trump.  Certainly there were quite a few Obama-Trump voters, but that does not make them Democrats who voted for Trump, that makes them independents.  There is a ton of evidence that Bernie voters went to Trump in significant numbers.  https://www.npr.org/2017/08/24/545812242/1-in-10-sanders-primary-voters-ended-up-supporting-trump-survey-finds

Fully 12 percent of people who voted for Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., in the 2016 Democratic presidential primaries voted for President Trump in the general election. That is according to the data from the Cooperative Congressional Election Study — a massive election survey of around 50,000 people.

Bernie is like Trump in that he demonizes the rich and throws around millionaires, billionaires, and corporations without much context 

Mirror image is laughable. I don't see any Dems candidates doing town halls on Fox News or vice versa. 

we 

*sorry on my phone and can't quote correctly

Right, Bernie demagogues the rich and corporations, Trump demagogues non-whites.  Same thing, different "the other."  

Mirror image:  Each is an angry old white guy with crazy hair, New York accent and flair for demagoguery.  A complete lack of details in his policy goals, or how to make them law.  No demonstrated expertise in any subject other than attention-getting.  Anti-establishment (despite being part of the establishment for decades) and anti-media.  Absolutely convinced of his own correctness.  An utter lack of nuance.  Blames all of your problems on, alternatively, rich people/corporations or immigrants/minorities.  Appeals to people's worst characteristics.  

34 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Biden would likely have gotten the nomination and won it all in 2016. In light of recent reporting though, I wonder if he's damaged goods for the Dems.

As for Bernie, maybe his 30+ years of identifying as an independent rather than a Democrat kept the plurality of Democrat voters from voting for him in the primaries?

Certainly damaged to a significant number of Dems.

Bernie will have a hard time against this field, I think he benefited from running against Hillary....of course if enough candidates stay in he has a decent shot.

Kinda odd to me this poll shows Bernie would pick up 31% of Biden voters if he doesn't get in.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/438888-poll-sanders-leads-biden-for-dem-nomination-by-5-points-buttigieg-in

35 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I thought the same about Biden initially, but the recent reporting was put out there so far in advance and Biden, for what it's worth, seems to have weathered that storm for now.  The bigger question though is what else is yet to come about him considering how long he has been an elected official.  If "Biden is old, from another generation, and needs to learn boundaries better" is the major thing people take away from the stuff that came out? I think he is okay.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I thought the same about Biden initially, but the recent reporting was put out there so far in advance and Biden, for what it's worth, seems to have weathered that storm for now.  The bigger question though is what else is yet to come about him considering how long he has been an elected official.  If "Biden is old, from another generation, and needs to learn boundaries better" is the major thing people take away from the stuff that came out? I think he is okay.

At this point, I think you are correct and Biden is basically clear of the touchiness stuff.  His response was solid to very sold, people said Biden made them feel uncomfortable, but nobody insinuated that it was predatory or done with any kind of malice, and according to 538, it simply hasn't impacted his numbers.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/biden-supporters-are-older-and-more-moderate-and-sticking-with-him-so-far/

I think he's still vulnerable to attacks dealing with his voting record in the Senate, particularly regarding criminal justice.  

13 minutes ago, twa said:

Kinda odd to me this poll shows Bernie would pick up 31% of Biden voters if he doesn't get in.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/438888-poll-sanders-leads-biden-for-dem-nomination-by-5-points-buttigieg-in

Polls are still mostly reflecting name recognition at this stage.  Biden and Bernie have by far the most name recognition among people that don't follow politics closely, or at all. 

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'd like to see your data on 8-10% of Democrats voted for Trump.  Certainly there were quite a few Obama-Trump voters, but that does not make them Democrats who voted for Trump, that makes them independents.  There is a ton of evidence that Bernie voters went to Trump in significant numbers.  https://www.npr.org/2017/08/24/545812242/1-in-10-sanders-primary-voters-ended-up-supporting-trump-survey-finds

1 in 10 is not significant numbers, it's not only average, it's below average. More Clinton PUMAs voted for McCain in 2008 than the 1in10 Sanders voters that went Trump. Same as the Cruz/Rubio voters who voted Clinton in 2016.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

CNN had about 8%, I've seen up to 11%. Still on my phone the nytimes was the first link but I've posted the full CNN exit polls before.

I can just easily say 1 in 10 weren't real Sanders supporters, or not real independents. 

Archived