Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

29 minutes ago, tshile said:

Some people took out loans

others gave up vacations, cars, houses, or worked full time through school. 

You're rewarding one group and telling the other to **** off. 

So, right back at you. 

I'm not a fan of it (forgiveness) without public service but I think there is also a fundamental difference between what my generation (and yours as I have no idea if we are the same age) paid for college and the costs paid now or even 5 years ago. Just like there was a significant difference between what we paid and our parents generation. 

Not seeing and/or acknowledging that is part of the problem, tbh.

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm not a fan of it (forgiveness) without public service but I think there is also a fundamental difference between what my generation (and yours as I have no idea if we are the same age) paid for college and the costs paid now or even 5 years ago. Just like there was a significant difference between what we paid and our parents generation. 

Not seeing and/or acknowledging that is part of the problem, tbh.

I graduated 6 years ago. My wife not too much longer. 

We were working full time (at one point I was working full time + another job) while we were going through school. So we took 3-4 classes a semester instead of 5-6. So it took a while to graduate. We took night classes cause we worked during the day. Sometimes I drove an hour to fairfax for a class,  drove and hour home to work, then an hour back for another night class.

I'm very much aware of what college costs right now. I'm very much aware of what it takes to do it without loans.

i gotta say I’m against student loan forgiveness. But also feel there are bigger fish to fry and would hope he if pursued would be greatly watered down from full payoff for everyone.  I am  interested in hearing more on basic income.  

Just now, tshile said:

I graduated 6 years ago. My wife not too much longer. 

We were working full time (at one point I was working full time + another job) while we were going through school.

I'm very much aware of what college costs right now.

My apologies then. Not everyone has the ability pay off 100k+ in debt in 6 years. Congrats.

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

My apologies then. Not everyone has the ability pay off 100k+ in debt in 6 years. Congrats.

we didn't pay 100k off in debts. It was the result of years of saving and paying as you go and working your ass off while you're doing it for money to continue to pay as you go.

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

we didn't pay 100k off in debts. It was the result of years of saving and paying as you go and working your ass off while you're doing it for money to continue to pay as you go.

So then you weren't the typical 18yo taking on 50-100k in debt for post-secondary education. Is that correct?

As someone in the middle of paying off an obscene amount of student debt, AND who would be excluded from benefiting from Liz Warren's plan, I'll just note that I hate the takes that are like, "this would have benefited me 10 years ago, but since it doesn't benefit me personally today, I'm against it."   Just because you don't get free stuff doesn't make it bad policy.  Young people starting off in such a deep whole has huge ramifications across the entire economy.  

That said, my preferred plan would be to strip out the profit motive from student lending.  Student loans are like 7% interest, despite being federally guaranteed.  Just lower the rates to just enough to cover servicing costs (so like, 1%).  That way, people are still paying for their educations, but they aren't paying back nearly double due to interest and they don't get into a death spiral because they can only pay the interest and never pay down the principle.  

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

You have to start being empathetic. Your case isn't everyones. You did things one way, others did it a different way. Instead of saying, "haha, you got it wrong," it would be better for society to get everyone out of that mess so we can do better things with our money. 

This is speaking as someone who paid off his student loans and went to a state school. This wouldn't affect me at all, but I know how this hurts others.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

"this would have benefited me 10 years ago, but since it doesn't benefit me personally today, I'm against it."   Just because you don't get free stuff doesn't make it bad policy. 

that's such a bull**** characterization. that's not the complaint at all.

the complaint is that a lot of us, most of us, sacrificed something to get through school.

you now want to reward a very specific % of those people and tell the rest of us "too bad." 

I'm OK with free school going forward (I actually think it's a bad idea but I'm not opposed to idea that i'm wrong about it, I just don't think it'll work that well). It's the retroactively rewarding people that's bull****. It's so incredibly offensive how many people with loans think the rest of us were just lucky or rich or something. Now they want support to get their loans forgiven? 

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You have to start being empathetic. You case isn't everyones. You did things one way, others did it a different way. Instead of saying, "haha, you got it wrong," it would be better for society to get everyone out of that mess so we can do better things with our money. 

This is speaking as someone who paid off his student loans and went to a state school. This wouldn't affect me at all, but I know how this hurts others.

I'm not saying haha you got it wrong.

I'm saying **** you for thinking you're the only people that matter. That the rest of us just got lucky or something.

They're mocking people on twitter for pointing out what I'm saying. I'm supposed to show them empathy? That's nonsense. If everyone wants to be selfish then lets be selfish.

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

that's such a bull**** characterization. that's not the complaint at all.

the complaint is that a lot of us, most of us, sacrificed something to get through school.

you now want to reward a very specific % of those people and tell the rest of us "too bad." 

I'm OK with free school going forward (I actually think it's a bad idea but I'm not opposed to idea that i'm wrong about it, I just don't think it'll work that well). It's the retroactively rewarding people that's bull****. It's so incredibly offensive how many people with loans think the rest of us were just lucky or rich or something. Now they want support to get their loans forgiven? 

I think it's an apt characterization.  Sorry.  

I'm in the middle of paying off $250k in student debt, and I won't qualify for any relief under Warren's plan (and work a job that is widely regarded as a meat grinder).  I've paid off over $150k in student debt over the last 3 years (see thread here).  I sacrificed as much as anyone to get through grad school.  I still understand that this is good policy.  People that left school 30 years ago didn't leave with the type of debt that crippled them for decades, and the current state harms people besides the students.  If you've ever seen an article title "Millenials are destroying the [whatever] industry" this is why.  

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

I'm not saying haha you got it wrong.

I'm saying **** you for thinking you're the only people that matter. That the rest of us just got lucky or something.

They're mocking people on twitter for pointing out what I'm saying. I'm supposed to show them empathy? That's nonsense. If everyone wants to be selfish then lets be selfish.

Ok, then you are saying "shame on you for not doing it my way." Either way, you sound like you want to rub their debt in their faces while you can stick your chest out and walk by.

It's not good for our society to have so many people in massive debt, especially for chasing college degrees. I actually think forgiving debt with free money is one step to a solution. The other is forcing colleges to spend their endowment money on lowering tuition and get out of seeing students as money-makers. But its a great first step, and one I welcome because people with less debt is a lot better for society than people with 6-digit debt.

Just now, Llevron said:

@tshile honestly im not sure I understand what you are so upset about. Is it because people are getting "free money" and you may not. Or is it because people have belittled you? Seriously asking. 

Both. People are being rewarded for taking loans and the rest of us are told to **** off. We're lucky. Or my favorite, "You must be doing OK without it"

Those of us that try to point out it's not fair, get mocked.

This conversation comes up many of the times when this sort of thing gets mentioned. The results are the same. I will not vote for her now, and I liked her (though I always assumed she would be too progressive for me.) 

She obviously doesn't care,  neither do her supporters. We'll see if others will vote for her.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Ok, then you are saying "shame on you for not doing it my way."

No. They made a choice. I don't care which way they do it.

It's turning around and pretending you're the only ones who sacrificed something and the only ones who deserve something that makes me angry.

Most people I know took loans. I don't hold that against them. Unless they think them taking a loan means they should get their money back and the rest of us should screw off. 

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You aren't being told to **** off.  You just aren't getting the benefit.  This policy is completely neutral towards you (and me). 

Edit:  Except the 2nd and 3rd order effects, which probably help you quite a bit. 

That's cute but not really true either.

Archived