Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

In the first debate, Trump acted like an exhausted toddler having a temper tantrum.

In the second debate, he acted like a high schooler doing an oral report on a book he hadn't read.  

Neither is a good look for a president.  

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I don't know if this is remotely the same, but years ago when I was reporting for WAMU 88.5 FM, I got to cover the opening of Night at the Museum 2. At the presser, everyone was there from Ben Stiller and Amy Adams to Robin Williams and Hank Azaria. As the event developed, one of the reporters asked an awful question of Owen Williams. The guy asked the Califiornia surfer dude, "Owen complete this question, 'You know it's summer in DC when dot dot dot (and the guy actually said dot dot dot). Well, Owen looked at him like "how do I know what it's like to be Summer in Washington?" A silence stretched. It became awkward, so I helpfully shouted out a joke.

"Congress is on its sixth vacation of the year!"

My joke bombed. It bombed like nuclear bad.

However, this broke the silence. All those stand ups knew what to do when a rube tries to step on their act. Robin Williams smiled, leaned forward, and in all his manic glory mocked me. He was brutal in the funniest (and sweetest way.)

As I left the presser I thought, I didn't know Robin Williams making fun of me was on my bucket list, but that was awesome. Being humiliated became a badge of honor.

I don't really think Trump's insults rank the same, but maybe in some circles its a modern rite of passage. You're somebody if Trump goes after you. Maybe that's a line on Meagan Kelly's resume?

Hey man, I thought it was funny.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I agree that should Biden wins, the first thing I am strongly advising him to do is start looking for ways to pass legislation to protect voting rights going forward.  Especially if by some miracle the Dems take the Senate and also retain the house.  No messing around this time.  The GOP has gone on a frenzy weakening voter protections.  That has to be reversed immediately because should the GOP make a big comeback in 2022 and/or 2024, you know for certain their plans.

Yeah, for me as well.  I’m uncertain exactly what can be done that won’t be dismantled by the SC though.

I would also love to see media addressed, whether it’s spreading lies/conspiracies under the guise of ‘articles/reporting’, foreign interference, or the use of social media.  Another one that I don’t have many answers for unfortunately.

Third for me is probably accountability.  Government accountability/corruption (perhaps more power to IGs?) and police accountability in particular.

And lastly, although maybe this falls under the purview of voting rights, is sweeping changes to campaign finance.  It’s become another tax on the citizenry.

Obviously, there are other major things to address - the economy and wage gap, the environment, civil rights, and so on - but I have to put fixing the country first.  Otherwise any changes can be dismantled with a change in party.

The Supreme Court only said that the VRA portions were unconstitutional because the formulas were 40 years old. 

This happened in 2013.  GOP has blocked formula updates.  

Biden should have pointed this out when Trump discusses the Crime Bill.  Why haven't you restored the portions of the voting rights act? 

Its obvious Trump doesn't do the job of President.  He doesn't care enough to pay attention to details.  I think he's got to hate everything about this job except the fact that everyone pays attention to everything he says and tweets.  

Archived