Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

This was 2012, long before Trumpets positioned themselves in various powerful sectors of govt. So basically, I'm expecting anything and everything,  because at this point, I strongly believe that's the only way Trump can win.

Problem is, I don't see any way Trump or Proud Boys or Russia can give Trump the win by ****ing up Election Day. Any vote scared away on Election Day is like a 2/3 chance a Trump vote. 

My fear is that mail in and absentee ballots get rejected at a significant rate, and GOP Governors/Trump Ballwashers like Ron DeSantis will try to get as many of those votes rejected as possible.   Michigan, Wisconsin, North Carolina and Pennsylvania all have Dem governors.  

The problem with saying Trump won the debate is that you have to be basing it on him acting like a semi-normal human being and not on the content.  Unless of course, you consider outright lying and have zero substance perfectly acceptable in a debate.   It never ceases to amaze me that Biden's typical politician speak is someone judged on an even playing field with Trumps lying as if they are a wash.  It's ridiculous. 

Is anyone with any legitimacy saying Trump won the debate?

Edit:  My favorite characterization of Trump's amazing debate:

And Tim Miller, a Republican strategist who is supporting Mr. Biden, said the president’s ability to demonstrate self-control should not be confused with good policy. Describing the president’s response to being challenged by Mr. Biden on his handling of the coronavirus, Mr. Miller asked: “Was the president’s task there to convince Americans he has a plan to deal with this pandemic or to convince Americans that he can behave like a good boy for 4 minutes? Because it was a whiff on the first one.”

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The problem with saying Trump won the debate is that you have to be basing it on him acting like a semi-normal human being and not on the content.

yeah but that is what people do.

i've had this issue with some trump supporters already since last night.

trump will say something like "the death rate of covid has fallen 85%" as an example how things are better. it doesn't even matter if that statistic is correct. What matters is that even if it is, in the proper context it means nothing. that's hardly a measurement to use to summarize how things are going and if you use correct measurements the exact opposite picture is painted.

But that doesn't matter because he gets away with that one statement and certain people just accept it.

Another example: his "You can't shut things down forever" "businesses are dying" etc that he ran with last night resonates with a lot of people.

but, placed in the proper context of: This is the guy that we have recordings saying he knew it was dangerous while publicly saying it isn't (it'll go away, we have 3 this week probably 0 next week, etc), not advocating for masks and in fact leading a sizable portion of people to refuse to wear masks, threating school funding to force a dangerous situation, pushing ineffective or harmful drugs to fight it (presumably because he has some stake in those companies even if it's just campaign donations), etc.... his comment is complete and utter bull****. The reason we cannot open is because of how he has lead the country through the crisis.

But for many people all they think is "He's right, we can't shut down forever"

We've reached a point as a society where entirely too many people are entirely too stupid. They lack basic critical thinking skills. They lack basic decency and honesty. They lack the basic desire to work to inform themselves on their own government, much less the rest of the world.

And we have a political party that knows exactly how to abuse that, and is content doing so to get/retain power.

If your gut reaction to "We can't shut things down forever" and "businesses are dying" is that 'trump has a point' then you're a ****ing idiot who hasn't been paying attention at all.

And we got lots of those people. Lots of them.

Another thing I would like to ponder is what exactly does a "shutdown" even mean anymore?  In the past 6 months many businesses have figured out various ways to stay open and in business.  Not all of them, and the struggle is real for a lot of them, more for some than others, and this isn't meant to trivialize the hardships going on for a lot of small businesses, but Trump is painting these shutdowns as if people are locked in their homes 24/7.   The idea that we should be opening places such as theme parks or movie theaters right now though is pretty absurd.   The shutdown/open everything back up discussion always seems to be framed by Trump as an all or nothing situation.  

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Does he try to go to t he 6-3 Conservative Supreme Court to sue to have the votes stop being counted?

Is that even a question though? The issue in 2000 was stopping the recount, not the initial counting of ballots right? So as long as the race isnt down to one state that has a super thin margin, i dont see how the supreme court could do that. who knows anymore though

Just now, NoCalMike said:

Another thing I would like to ponder is what exactly does a "shutdown" even mean anymore?

For many the current school situation seems to

represent the majority of it. 

out of everything I think that’s the biggest fundamental impact. There are others like lack of vacations and completely changed shopping habits. 

but school being closed is the all-day-every-day in-your-face reminder that things are very screwed up and difficult at the moment. 

20 minutes ago, China said:

It's interesting to watch the early voting:

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

Seeing that the early voting in Texas is already more than 70% of the total voting in Texas from 2016.

the texas count is pretty crazy. especially that they have more votes than CA so far, seeing as how easy its been for people in CA to vote this year (not having to wait in line)

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Does he try to go to t he 6-3 Conservative Supreme Court to sue to have the votes stop being counted? 

They will run out the string on challenging the election results

who knows where that ends but they will pursue the cause of challenging the results as far as they can and in whatever direction allowed (even if that means them forcing it)

4 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Is that even a question though? The issue in 2000 was stopping the recount, not the initial counting of ballots right? So as long as the race isnt down to one state that has a super thin margin, i dont see how the supreme court could do that. who knows anymore though

At this point, when it comes to Trump, I have no idea.  He has been planting the seeds/idea that voting by mail equals fraud.  Regardless of how ludicrous it is, it doesn't matter.  He is saying it anyway.  What I am fearing is that he and his team along with his personal lawyer Barr conjure up a tiny sample size of anecdotal evidence and march to the Supreme court with it to say that because of "this" they have to invalidate "that" or some other ****amamie argument and even if say Justice Roberts goes the other way, that still leaves the court 5-4 in favor of re-electing Trump. 

1 hour ago, mammajamma said:

hoping that a few of the recent examples of older, more centrist democrats getting primaried have put "some" pressure on them to actually be effective once they do get power. i think its pretty obvious that the main reason biden is going to win, and probably have a record for highest voter turnout ever, is because of who he's running against. once the "mandate" of getting orangeman out of the way is over, dems will have to get way smarter with policy (and how they aggressively they enact those policies) in order to keep getting people to show up to elections. but that's probably just wishful thinking based on how things have gone for decades

I think the first critical piece of legislation Dems must do under a Biden admin is passing a new voting rights act. I can elaborate on what I'd like to see in that but if it is successful, giving everyone a fair chance to vote and ending the inequalities and suppression within the system would pretty much render a midterm backlash impossible. Do that and then proceed to run through the gauntlet of policies that will reshape the country that are actually supported by the majority of the country and we can begin to get our democracy back on track. 

Perhaps I give Dems too much credit but I like to think of Trump as a watershed moment. A never-again moment. I don't think they will get complacent in 2022 or 2024 knowing the hell we just endured.

40 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

381 for Biden. Trump narrowly wins Georgia and Ohio. All other swing states break for Biden, including Texas. 

Texas is a gut call and probably overly optimistic. But I think it happens. 

I can't see a scenario where he wins Texas but loses GA and OH. That means the election has tipped his way and I would think those would be coming along for the ride too

I agree that should Biden wins, the first thing I am strongly advising him to do is start looking for ways to pass legislation to protect voting rights going forward.  Especially if by some miracle the Dems take the Senate and also retain the house.  No messing around this time.  The GOP has gone on a frenzy weakening voter protections.  That has to be reversed immediately because should the GOP make a big comeback in 2022 and/or 2024, you know for certain their plans.

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I hope people can see the difference between attacks regarding political issues and straight out personal attacks, but I doubt it. I remember one debate in 2016 during the GOP primary where Hugh Hewitt was moderating and Trump insulted him.....and now Hewitt is perhaps the biggest Trump fanboy out there.  It just seems like nobody cares anymore.

Anyway, now that the debates are over, when do we predict what's going to happen on November 3rd?  Are the polls correct and Joe hangs on for the win? Or are they wrong and Trump gets the EC win again while again losing the PV? I pick the latter......know that's not what people want to hear. The House will still remain in D hands. No clue what happens in the Senate, but if the Dems win it with Trump as president, the government spending is going to be YUGE!

Every day you come here wanting to post this. Just admit you want Trump to win so you can be like "See, I was right all along."  It's 50/50 you voted for him. 

59 minutes ago, China said:

It's interesting to watch the early voting:

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

Seeing that the early voting in Texas is already more than 70% of the total voting in Texas from 2016.

I'm working my precinct on election day. It's going to be a lot slower than in the past. Which kinda sucks cause we are there for 15 hours so I'd rather it be busy all day. 

50 minutes ago, tshile said:

We've reached a point as a society where entirely too many people are entirely too stupid. They lack basic critical thinking skills. They lack basic decency and honesty. They lack the basic desire to work to inform themselves on their own government, much less the rest of the world.

Yeah T you nailed it, and I think there are too many people on here who want to see the best in people (not a bad thing, IMO) but unfortunately don't see the reality writ large.

A better adjective to describe people in general, IMO, is fickle.  I've read a few pieces lately by conservatives who said they did not vote for Trump in 2016 but will select him in 2020.  The question unanswered to me is "why didn't you vote for him in 2016, and what exactly has changed.? Granted, from a policy perspective, I can see where they can get behind Trump, even outside of the (soon to be) three SCOTUS picks, which in reality Mitch should be credited with. But what gets me are when they cite "how tough Trump has been on China" but then say "but I really don't like the use of the tariffs." O-kayyyyy.......so if you don't like those, how else has he demonstrated toughness? Another is "Trump hasn't gotten us into any new wars." Fair enough, and I do respect the president's overall restraint here (even though his verbage in playing kissy kissy with Putin and KJU is too much). But these same people were likely clapping like seals when W went to war with Iraq.

I just would like a little more consistency from folks, and it seems to be in short supply. 

16 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Every day you come here wanting to post this. Just admit you want Trump to win so you can be like "See, I was right all along."  It's 50/50 you voted for him. 

Hersh, see my response to tshile above.  I will fully admit being supportive to Republicans, but I personally can't stand Trump. I just am curious as to the sense people have as to how this thing is going to go down, since we're now ~10 days out.

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

No major surprise here. This debate IMO didn't move the needle at all. Biden was prepared, steady, landed some good body blows while still coming across as decent and empathetic, and didn't make any major mistakes (some are saying the energy answer was a mistake but I don't see it changing any votes); he did what he needed to do. He's not an amazing debater but I think he was better in this than the first and overall he did well.

Trump was more controlled and a little less obnoxious than in the first debate but he still came across as clueless about policy, mendacious, and lacking in empathy. He needed a big game changer and he didn't get it. He tried to land some huge blows on Biden with the Hunter/Laptop/Burisma/Russia conspiracies but none of them really landed, probably because nobody outside of the right wing bubble even knows much about it or cares.

I think the next round of polls will basically be the same as before the debate. 

Archived