Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

Anyone watching the Western Michigan vs. Buffalo game? Western Michigan scored a TD in overtime to tie the game, and some girl, presumably the player's sister or girlfriend, runs on the field to celebrate with the team. Wtf? They hadn't even kicked the extra point to tie it. One of the more bizarre things I've ever seen. The refs threw a flag.

This Western Michigan game is going to the sixth overtime! One of the craziest games I've ever seen. 59-59. Basically every scenario you can think of has happened.

Seventh overtime! 65-65. You guys need to tune in.

Game over 71-68 Western Michigan. I watched all overtimes because I picked Western Michigan in Streak for the Cash. Historic game.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

God it's been so long :ols:

Vengeance is tasty

I'm always nostalgic for this game.  Was always a war zone kinda game, with all sorts of championship ramifications.  I seem to remember it being the first game of the year a couple of times?  Maybe my brain isn't working right. :)

It's kinda hard to believe that both schools wandered around in the QB desert for as long as they did.  So many guys under center that just didn't pan out.

I always pulled for the Canes in high school.  Those were the wide right days.  Had a sweet pair of Miami Zubaz that I used to wear home from basketball games.  Represent. :ols:

First Nats lose but this is just HUGE INJUSTICE here for student athletes everywhere. I feel like this decision openly flaunts that the NCAA is about business. Yeah, you'll sanction Pitino and Boeheim and former UConn great Jim Calhoun (the latter two because of academics) and you act like you can't have coaches paying for players (PS. You can't). Ole Miss and Louisville are in trouble for that. But how with a straight face can you sit there and tell me you cannot pay players, yet allow players to take fake classes over 20+ years for credit? It's hypocrisy. 

You can't have it both ways. You can't be on the podium talking about how bad it is to pay players, going after any athlete who tries to make a buck off a singing deal or any kind of game, while at the same time saying that it's okay for these kids to be taking fake classes. I don't want to hear any excuses from UNC fan. Again, I'm not interested. What I give a **** about is the future of the kids. What I give a **** about is the contradiction from the NCAA who has basically said that these students are not students, but rather athletes. It's okay to take these courses to inflate  your GPA. Because school doesn't mean anything. Because it's all about the pros. That's the message the NCAA sent with their decision today. And it should make you sick to your stomach if you like college sports. If you are going to allow students to take fake classes (DON'T TELL ME THE CLASSES AREN'T OFFERED ANYMORE, UNC FAN, THEY WERE OFFERED FOR 20+ YEARS BEFORE THE ADMINISTRATION FINALLY PUT AN "END" TO THEM BECAUSE OF "PUBLIC OUTRAGE") then why not just stop with this charade? Stop pretending like these are student athletes at this point. You're making a ****ing buck off these kids and don't have the dignity to at least pretend they're student athletes? That term is a sham, even more so because of this decision. These are just kids looking to get into the NBA or the NFL, one and done kids. What UNC did was make it blatant for decades that these kids weren't there to go to school. They were just there until they could go pro. That's the problem with college sports today. It's about money, athletics, and eligibility. These kids are going to retire when they get old at 30 and they can't play basketball or football anymore. Then you join the rest of us peons in the work force. What are you going to do then? 

20 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

First Nats lose but this is just HUGE INJUSTICE here for student athletes everywhere. I feel like this decision openly flaunts that the NCAA is about business. Yeah, you'll sanction Pitino and Boeheim and former UConn great Jim Calhoun (the latter two because of academics) and you act like you can't have coaches paying for players (PS. You can't). Ole Miss and Louisville are in trouble for that. But how with a straight face can you sit there and tell me you cannot pay players, yet allow players to take fake classes over 20+ years for credit? It's hypocrisy. 

You can't have it both ways. You can't be on the podium talking about how bad it is to pay players, going after any athlete who tries to make a buck off a singing deal or any kind of game, while at the same time saying that it's okay for these kids to be taking fake classes. I don't want to hear any excuses from UNC fan. Again, I'm not interested. What I give a **** about is the future of the kids. What I give a **** about is the contradiction from the NCAA who has basically said that these students are not students, but rather athletes. It's okay to take these courses to inflate  your GPA. Because school doesn't mean anything. Because it's all about the pros. That's the message the NCAA sent with their decision today. And it should make you sick to your stomach if you like college sports. If you are going to allow students to take fake classes (DON'T TELL ME THE CLASSES AREN'T OFFERED ANYMORE, UNC FAN, THEY WERE OFFERED FOR 20+ YEARS BEFORE THE ADMINISTRATION FINALLY PUT AN "END" TO THEM BECAUSE OF "PUBLIC OUTRAGE") then why not just stop with this charade? Stop pretending like these are student athletes at this point. You're making a ****ing buck off these kids and don't have the dignity to at least pretend they're student athletes? That term is a sham, even more so because of this decision. These are just kids looking to get into the NBA or the NFL, one and done kids. What UNC did was make it blatant for decades that these kids weren't there to go to school. They were just there until they could go pro. That's the problem with college sports today. It's about money, athletics, and eligibility. These kids are going to retire when they get old at 30 and they can't play basketball or football anymore. Then you join the rest of us peons in the work force. What are you going to do then? 

Because the fake class was not created specifically for student-athletes, it was open to all students.  Therefore, not a benefit as all students enrolled in the class were treated the same.  Not to mention, nobody outside of the people that created the class knew it was not accredited, especially the students that took it.  

Yes, those athletes that took the class benefited with an easy A, but so did everyone else.  And that's not the message the NCAA sent, the NCAA has no right to investigate overall academics at any school, speaking to the legitimacy of classes themselves, unless it can be proved that it was strictly created to benefit athletes.  It could not be proved because it was a class open to the entire student body.  

You are making it sound like any of the students that took the class knew it was a fake or unaccredited class that technically didn't count, they didn't.  All they knew is that it was an easy A and that could help boost their GPA.  Word of mouth gets out about which professors/classes are easiest, which ones just give you an A, etc. and gazillions of students take those classes all the time, and they are legit.  This particular class wasn't, but no student knew that, how could they?

You were a strong defender for Brady in deflategate citing no proof that he knew what was going on and no proof he told anyone to deflate the footballs.  Same thing here, there is no proof that the class was created for only athletes, no proof that anyone outside of the few people on the inside knew they were fake classes, especially the students that took them.  

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The school created a fake class for its athletes.  Just because it also allowed other students to take it does not change that basic fact.  

Zero proof of that though, and it wasn't the "school" as a whole, it was two or three people in one of the many departments that created the class and kept it on the down low that it was not accredited and a fake class.   Now, that's what is inferred (created for athletes) considering 50% of total enrollment was by athletes, but it was also open to all students and there is no physical evidence anywhere stating the class was created to help our athletes boost their GPA.  

And as a student, athlete or not, there is no way they know the class is fake, only the few behind the scenes knew that.  They should not be faulted for taking a class that had a reputation of getting an easy A.  I've stated it before, when I was in college there was a known professor who taught English Lit I and II and Speech that gave everyone an A.  He did not believe in testing.  All his tests were 20 questions (including the final) and multiple choice.  The class before his test and final, he would get out the answer key and call out all the answers for us to memorize to get a 100 score on the test.  Difference?  It was a real class, accredited.  Point being, there are classes out there like that, and legit.  Of course students, all of them, are going to take that class, why wouldn't they?

While I agree that the class was created by those two/three people with intent of getting athletes easy grades to keep their GPA up, I also have to acknowledge that since there was no physical evidence linking it's creation directly for athletes, and it being open to all students, that the NCAA does not have the right to punish the sports teams as it now is an academic issue.  Planned out perfectly by the 2/3 people doing that?  Absolutely.  

And if this had happened anywhere else, including Duke or NC State (two rivals and teams I hate), I'd agree with the same ruling.  Same reason I don't think Brady should have been punished for Deflategate.  There was no physical evidence linking him to it.  Just because they believe that he did and moved forward with punishment is wrong.  Doesn't matter if we all believe that he 100% knew about it and participated in it.  No evidence, no punishment.  

What's funny to me is ix was a huge supporter of Brady (as was I) but so angry about this outcome at UNC.  It's basically the same situation, cheating/fraud but lack of evidence proving it in both cases (in UNC's case, lack of evidence linking it to only athletes).  

If the class existed at the university, then the university is culpable.  

In addition, the fact that a university was offering a non-accredited class and not informing any student registering for that class of that fact is a huge problem.  

When I was in undergrad, I took a class called Motion Picture Appreciation.  That would be movie watchin' class.  It was actually a serious class with the normal homework and exams.  There were athletes in the class, but they were probably 10 and the class was in a huge lecture hall.

When I was in law school, there was a professor who's nickname is/was "A for Anderson."  Of course, he is a Harvard alum and Brookings fellow that writes for LawFare, so everyone in his class got much smarter even if your grade was a given so long as you showed up. 

I don't really have any comment on this issue's equivalence to Deflategate, which I did not follow at all.  

4 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Zero proof of that though, and it wasn't the "school" as a whole, it was two or three people in one of the many departments that created the class and kept it on the down low that it was not accredited and a fake class.   Now, that's what is inferred (created for athletes) considering 50% of total enrollment was by athletes, but it was also open to all students and there is no physical evidence anywhere stating the class was created to help our athletes boost their GPA.  

And as a student, athlete or not, there is no way they know the class is fake, only the few behind the scenes knew that.  They should not be faulted for taking a class that had a reputation of getting an easy A.  I've stated it before, when I was in college there was a known professor who taught English Lit I and II and Speech that gave everyone an A.  He did not believe in testing.  All his tests were 20 questions (including the final) and multiple choice.  The class before his test and final, he would get out the answer key and call out all the answers for us to memorize to get a 100 score on the test.  Difference?  It was a real class, accredited.  Point being, there are classes out there like that, and legit.  Of course students, all of them, are going to take that class, why wouldn't they?

While I agree that the class was created by those two/three people with intent of getting athletes easy grades to keep their GPA up, I also have to acknowledge that since there was no physical evidence linking it's creation directly for athletes, and it being open to all students, that the NCAA does not have the right to punish the sports teams as it now is an academic issue.  Planned out perfectly by the 2/3 people doing that?  Absolutely.  

And if this had happened anywhere else, including Duke or NC State (two rivals and teams I hate), I'd agree with the same ruling.  Same reason I don't think Brady should have been punished for Deflategate.  There was no physical evidence linking him to it.  Just because they believe that he did and moved forward with punishment is wrong.  Doesn't matter if we all believe that he 100% knew about it and participated in it.  No evidence, no punishment.  

What's funny to me is ix was a huge supporter of Brady (as was I) but so angry about this outcome at UNC.  It's basically the same situation, cheating/fraud but lack of evidence proving it in both cases (in UNC's case, lack of evidence linking it to only athletes).  

This is a laughable defense. Coaches knew about the classes. People knew how to keep athletes eligible. There is evidence academic officials knew of athletic connection to the scandal. Any loophole being used and supported shows a lack of integrity by the University and the NCAA. 

30 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If the class existed at the university, then the university is culpable.  

In addition, the fact that a university was offering a non-accredited class and not informing any student registering for that class of that fact is a huge problem.  

When I was in undergrad, I took a class called Motion Picture Appreciation.  That would be movie watchin' class.  It was actually a serious class with the normal homework and exams.  There were athletes in the class, but they were probably 10 and the class was in a huge lecture hall.

When I was in law school, there was a professor who's nickname is/was "A for Anderson."  Of course, he is a Harvard alum and Brookings fellow that writes for LawFare, so everyone in his class got much smarter even if your grade was a given so long as you showed up. 

I don't really have any comment on this issue's equivalence to Deflategate, which I did not follow at all.  

That's the point I'm trying to make, it's bigger than just UNC basketball or football, it's a university wide scandal.  All students involved were misled and the two or three people involved in creating and in the know should face criminal charges, imo.  They messed with students lives, degrees, etc.  

People are calling for the death penalty and vacating wins and championships, which shouldn't happen imo, because it's not an issue related to just athletes.  Which is why the NCAA can't do anything.  I want to see those involved and in the know face severe punishment, which at this point I think is only linked to three people.  Them not facing any kind of punishment is the bigger issue here, imo.

35 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This is a laughable defense. Coaches knew about the classes. People knew how to keep athletes eligible. There is evidence academic officials knew of athletic connection to the scandal. Any loophole being used and supported shows a lack of integrity by the University and the NCAA. 

No its not.  The coaches knew the classes were fake and not accredited?  Where is your proof of that?  Kids that took the class knew about it?  Proof?  The only connection to athletes is some took the class (50%) and steered towards it.  

Did coaches and tutors know the class was an easy A, I'm sure they did.  Was the class created to boost athletes grades?  I'm sure it was, but again, zero evidence of that (at least not yet).  Which is why it's a school academic issue and not just a NCAA issue.  Was the intention of making it available to all students part of the master plan by the few who created it?  I'm sure it was.  

Archived