Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

Was just watching the highlights from last night while in the gym. One of the biggest plays being overlooked is the Alabama WR that bailed the freshman QB out to tie the game. He wasn’t the intended target and if he quits on the route it’s likely an incomplete pass and Georgia has the ball. 

Ridley was Tua's read on that play.  Tua bailed at the end of his drop because Ridley got bracketed by the safety and he knew he couldn't make the throw on time.  The safety broke early, Tua scrambled left to buy Ridley time to run out the cross and clear the throwing lane.  Then he led Ridley to the the seam.  It was an incredible play.  Why is everyone assuming he threw it to the guy in the back of the end zone when that guy was covered, it would have been an underthrow, and that guy wasn't his read?

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Ridley was Tua's read on that play.  Tua bailed at the end of his drop because Ridley got bracketed by the safety and he knew he couldn't make the throw on time.  The safety broke early, Tua scrambled left to buy Ridley time to run out the cross and clear the throwing lane.  Then he led Ridley to the the seam.  It was an incredible play.  Why is everyone assuming he threw it to the guy in the back of the end zone when that guy was covered, it would have been an underthrow, and that guy wasn't his read?

You can’t be serious. He didn’t even see Ridley after the initial read. He was looking directly at the guy in the back to his left and threw on the run and under pressure without his feet set. Just watch where the QB looks. 

Literally, the angle he was looking shows he couldn’t even see Ridley.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Clemson is currently on the list, but I'm not sure this is really sustainable for them. Something horrible is going to happen there.

Clemson is an SEC power program in the ACC.  They're going to run the conference for as long as Swinney is there.  Get ready for a whole lot of Clemson vs Miami title games, with Miami always coming up short despite their incredible talent because that's what Mark Richt teams do.

What's not sustainable about what Clemson is doing?  They have a rabid fan base that cares way more about them than any pro team.  They have an awesome game day atmosphere.  They have wealthy alumni and boosters.  They recruit nationally and they also have a monopoly on a rich recruiting ground because there aren't any other legit programs in the Carolinas.  And they can poach elite recruits from North Georgia, the fourth richest HS football region in America because UGA has only so many available scholarships and Georgia Tech runs a mom and pop program that doesn't have a chance of keeping Clemson (or anyone else) out of their back yard.

You think they're going to get crushed by sanctions for violations?  Why?  Swinney has been there for 10 years, building a National program and fruitful recruiting networks that can yield top 5 to top 10 classes every year.  If he were pulling a Hugh Freeze, he would have been caught by now.

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Look, when they find dozens of dead hookers in Dabo's backyard, don't act surprised.

This is my view. You don't go from "Welcome to the Outback Bowl" to perennial national powerhouse without doing some really shady stuff. It's simply not possible.

Dabo's a boyscout.  I'll be surprised if he's handing out cars and hookers to recruits.

I actually think it's really natural that Clemson became a power.  Geography favors them and their was a football vacuum at both the top of their region and their conference.  It's not so hard to believe that, in those conditions, a great coach who is ultra-charismatic can incrementally build a power program over 10 years.  Especially not when he got one of the best college QBs of his generation (and best player in program history) to explode the prestige of the program.

Geography really does favor them.  The Game****s aren't good any more.  UNC isn't either.  Neither have ever been traditional powers.  Duke and Wake have never been highly competitive.  Georgia Tech and NC State are second tier ACC schools.  The only local team that Clemson has to compete with for territory in the Carolinas and Georgia is UGA.  This is a talent rich region.  Fourth behind California, Texas, and Florida.  There is more than enough top end quality for the area to field two elite programs on local talent alone.  And now that they've been to three straight playoffs, Clemson can snatch up national recruits from the Ohio States of of the world too.

PleaseBlitz is right, they're here to stay unless Dabo leaves.

The top two recruits in the country this year were QBs from North Georgia.  This region cares about college football on a religious level.  Every 10 year old boy in the area can name and cite the stats of every good player in the country.  They haven't figured out that playing football actually sucks and they still grow up dreaming of playing it instead of other sports.  They're a talent factory.

I've got a unifying theory of politics and football that explains why Red areas are the only ones that produce good football any more.  Highly competitive football is essentially a cult and Red areas are the ones that most readily buy into cults.

Did Alabama break college football?

I listened to sports radio most of the day today and heard surprisingly little about the game yesterday. For the day after a national title game, there was a LOT of talk about John Gruden and more Brady-Bellichek-Kraft, etc, etc. Is it just not compelling radio? Is it because we already said everything that there was to say after #5? I just can't believe there wasn't more attention paid...

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What region were your radio programs broadcasting from?

I listened to Cooley and Kevin in the morning, and got WAY more Kirk Cousins than I was expecting for the day after a college championship game. Then I listened to Czabe in the evening and Sarah Spain at night, with random bits of other shows in the middle but not enough for me to feel as conclusive. I could have just missed big sections of talking about it. 

27 minutes ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

I listened to Cooley and Kevin in the morning, and got WAY more Kirk Cousins than I was expecting for the day after a college championship game. Then I listened to Czabe in the evening and Sarah Spain at night, with random bits of other shows in the middle but not enough for me to feel as conclusive. I could have just missed big sections of talking about it. 

DMV shows aren't going to cover college football like NFL football.  It's not really Sarah Spain's wheelhouse either.  You're in kind of a dead zone for local talk about CFB.  Head South and the coverage is ubiquitous.

Some of the national ESPN guys probably spent a lot of time talking about it, particularly the ones with a football background.  I haven't listened to Golic and Wingo in a while but I bet they spent the whole show on it.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Golic and Wingo is awesome. Mike Greenberg's career is over

I don't know.  Wingo is a really nice guy but he's just such a flavorless bro to me.  He is the exact same as 90% of the guys I went to college with.  I preferred Greenberg's dry, New York Jewish persona and I wasn't happy that he left.  TBH, I would listen to a show of Greenberg + Louis Riddick or Booger McFarland over Golic and Wingo.  Or it could replace Rusillo's show and I wouldn't cry any tears.

Archived