Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

I think it's being overcomplicated a bit. I see it like this:

Undefeated teams should get in. Straight up.

1 loss teams should get in assuming that there are not more than 4 teams with 0 or 1 losses

After that, your resume has to make a compelling reason to get you in

In a perfect world, you have 1-2 undefeated teams, and 2-3 1 loss teams that each win their conferences, and then there's no question. In the most imperfect world possible, you have a situation like this year.

As a football fan, I REALLY don't care that Alabama lost to Auburn. Auburn has 4 losses. Auburn has ZERO business being in the playoff, and frankly probably 0 business being in a SEC championship. If the entire SEC was one massive division instead of being split, you could solve a lot of this. As it stands, SEC teams basically have to win all season, then win a 4 team bracket just to make the real 4 team bracket. That's stupid. 

I don't want a 3 loss Auburn team playing Georgia for the SEC title when Alabama has 1 loss. I don't think the 1 loss late should be worth more than 3 losses early. 

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Didn't think it would be this season. 

That was an eye-opening performance.  I think you might be right.  BUT, the wet blanket in me will point to Cardale Jones and say let's wait and see on Tua.

Still, that kid's tools are impressive.  If he doesn't pan out, it won't be for a lack of talent.  He's such a natural arm talent and his balance and movement in the pocket looked awesome for how young he is.  His drops look like an NFL QB's.  And he can run.

I think this championship Bama team is fun because of how different it was then their past formula.  That offensive line was a wreck.  Their best player on it was a sophomore and he got hurt.  The defense wasn't quite as good as year's past, they'd been hit hard by the injury bug, particularly up the middle.  They had their typical mammoth running backs, but they weren't as much of a factor as in the past.  And their offensive style was so different.  They're passing to set up the run, throwing screens to get the ball in space, running zone read, and calling empty sets and pistol formations on first and second down.

In short, this Bama team won because they finally went out and got a damn quarterback.  A truly gifted passer.  They weren't winning that game with an AJ McCarron or Greg McElroy or Blake Sims.  Or even a Jalen Hurts.  Been watching Alabama get lit up for years by the likes of Tebow, Manziel, Newton, and Watson and complaining about how the team of the decade can't seem to recruit QBs.  Well, now it looks like they've got one.  I'm interested to see how this changes them.  They've got a margin for error now that they never had before, and I think it's going to open them up.

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

Auburn had 2 losses when they played Georgia.

Whoops! You're right; my fault!

And I suppose that's why they "deserved" to be in the "final" of their half of the division. 

I just think that the fact that Alabama lost in a semi of their conference is being weighed heavily against them by people who want to hate on the committee, but the committee was giving htem strong bonus points for being a 1 loss team (which is a big deal).

8 minutes ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

I think it's being overcomplicated a bit. I see it like this:

Undefeated teams should get in. Straight up.

1 loss teams should get in assuming that there are not more than 4 teams with 0 or 1 losses

After that, your resume has to make a compelling reason to get you in

I think this makes sense, and that it's pretty much what we have right now.  A two loss team has a big hill to climb, and rightfully so.  The only two loss team that could have gotten in this year was Auburn, and they would have done so through having the compelling resume of two wins against Georgia and a win against Bama.  Moot point obviously, because they lost the SEC title game.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Also OU has to be kicking themselves for the UGA game. I think they would have blown Bama out last night. 

I don't know about that.  I think Georgia was stronger top to bottom.  The biggest reason they had that lead throughout the game is because their defense was playing awesome football.  OU just didn't have that kind of talent to win their match ups across the board and exploit Bama's weak offensive line.  Also, Jake Fromm played pretty well until Georgia seemed to ice him with their playcalling.

I think Baker Mayfield would have shredded Bama's D, but Oklahoma would have given up as much as they got.  And Bama's D would stymie him just enough to win the game, same as Georgia did.  Oklahoma needs to get back to fielding the kind of defenses that they used to before they can blow anyone out in a championship game.

Was just watching the highlights from last night while in the gym. One of the biggest plays being overlooked is the Alabama WR that bailed the freshman QB out to tie the game. He wasn’t the intended target and if he quits on the route it’s likely an incomplete pass and Georgia has the ball. 

Went to bed early - had to go to work and everything. It was 13-0 UGA when I cut the lights out. 

That's what I get for being a person that needs his shuteye. About to watch the highlights right now. That's two huge choke jobs under the State of Georgia's belt in the past year. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

If you keep having the same few teams always in, people will lose interest. The Oklahoma-Georgia game was fantastic. I didn’t watch Bama-Clemson and I minimally watched the National Championship game. 

That hasn't hurt college football for the past 50 years. Year in an year out, there are maybe 18 teams that can plausibly win a national title. Every now and then, a new team joins that group - most likely by cheating like a maniac. (See Baylor and possibly Clemson). But, every time a new team joins - like Clemson - another borderline member of that group has to go away (like Miami did and may still be).

I would say each Power 5 conference has maybe 3 teams that can plausibly win. In the SEC, that number may be 5. This board is filled with VA Tech, WVU and Maryland fans, and they are adorable. But they aren't really winning anything except in a total fluke year.

So...there you go.

22 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Was just watching the highlights from last night while in the gym. One of the biggest plays being overlooked is the Alabama WR that bailed the freshman QB out to tie the game. He wasn’t the intended target and if he quits on the route it’s likely an incomplete pass and Georgia has the ball. 

I told my wife and son that he was throwing the ball to the guy coming from the corner and not the guy who caught it.  They think I'm nuts.

There has been 10 different champs in the last 17 seasons. It does get old seeing the same teams. That doesn't stop people supporting their alma mater. 

NCAAF has more pressing problems though than Bama winning every other year.

Concussions, # plays per game, concussions, low graduation rates, concussions, and concussions.

14 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Went to bed early - had to go to work and everything. It was 13-0 UGA when I cut the lights out. 

That's what I get for being a person that needs his shuteye. About to watch the highlights right now. That's two huge choke jobs under the State of Georgia's belt in the past year. 

The Falcons and Bulldogs both lost in OT in games where they had comfortable leads for the vast majority of the game and never trailed in the 2nd Half. That's a rough year.

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

There has been 10 different champs in the last 17 seasons. It does get old seeing the same teams. That doesn't stop people supporting their alma mater. 

We're actually in one of the more diverse eras. From 1961 to 1981, 10 teams won, and one of those (Clemson) was one of the dumber AP final rankings. Not as bad as BYU, but pretty bad.

The list in those years is still largely the list of who can win now - Alabama (5), USC (3), Notre Dame (3), Texas (2), Oklahoma (2), Nebraska (2), Ohio State, Georgia, and Clemson.

Clemson is currently on the list, but I'm not sure this is really sustainable for them. Something horrible is going to happen there. Pitt is never going to compete again.

Pitt and Miami are the same exact story by the way. Miami simply sustained it longer. Regional colleges that realized that their home recruiting base was the richest in the country and exploited it for a time until the administration cut the legs out from under the coaches.

33 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I told my wife and son that he was throwing the ball to the guy coming from the corner and not the guy who caught it.  They think I'm nuts.

You are 100% correct. He was rolling that way and looking that way. There is no chance he saw Ridley coming across. What would have been interesting is if the ball made it back there would there have been defensive pass interference? The Georgia player is getting to that particular target a bit early. 

Next season - it's our turn.

ECU.jpg

HA! Just kidding. We're a mid-major dumpster fire that went 3-9 last year. Thanks for firing the first coach to lead us to a 10+ win season since 1991, Jeff Compher! He only went on to be a part of a coaching staff that won the Big XII. 

Jackass. 

52 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

That hasn't hurt college football for the past 50 years. Year in an year out, there are maybe 18 teams that can plausibly win a national title. Every now and then, a new team joins that group - most likely by cheating like a maniac. (See Baylor and possibly Clemson). But, every time a new team joins - like Clemson - another borderline member of that group has to go away (like Miami did and may still be).

I would say each Power 5 conference has maybe 3 teams that can plausibly win. In the SEC, that number may be 5. This board is filled with VA Tech, WVU and Maryland fans, and they are adorable. But they aren't really winning anything except in a total fluke year.

So...there you go.

What happened prior to the playoff system and even the BCS doesn’t really apply anymore since it’s not the same system. Plus, it’s not really about who ultimately wins, it’s about who gets the opportunity to win it now. That’s why the basketball tournament is awesome.  Teams from small conferences get the chance to topple the big dogs and go on runs. 

Aside from alumni, how many people want to see Bama-Clemson next season because a committee picks them to play? Pretty solid chance we get that again. 

The nfl is just as bad.  Everything is predetermined towards those teams that have a qb.  The only exciting thing that can happen is injury

Every year its the same teams in the playoffs.  Teams that havent needed to waste picks on QB for the past decade

People say cfb is great... it by and large sucks.  The entire thing is a dirty recruiting trick... the championship was decided this past offseason.

Heres a shocker, ready?  Everyone ready?  Bama, Clemson, and Georgia will have top 5 recruiting classes again.  Sorry to spoil your good time everyone.  What a joke

18 minutes ago, Hersh said:

What happened prior to the playoff system and even the BCS doesn’t really apply anymore since it’s not the same system. Plus, it’s not really about who ultimately wins, it’s about who gets the opportunity to win it now. That’s why the basketball tournament is awesome.  Teams from small conferences get the chance to topple the big dogs and go on runs. 

Aside from alumni, how many people want to see Bama-Clemson next season because a committee picks them to play? Pretty solid chance we get that again. 

The college basketball tournament is awesome because you remember a time twenty years ago when college basketball had good teams and the brackets are fun and it's just an orgy of sports. The basketball tournament is terrible at actually picking the best team each year.

I just want to beat Harvard each year so I don't really have a dog in this fight. I prefer good matchups between good teams. Last night was a fascinating college football game. Oklahoma-Georgia was everything college football has been the past ten years or so. Alabama-Clemson sucked as a game but was fun as an exercise in watching Saban get revenge on a suddenly unarmed foe.

Begin Scene.

Dabo Swinney is tied to a chair with a gag in his mouth.

Enter Nick Saban with three henchmen.

Saban: Oh, Dabo, someone told me you had stopped by for a visiting

Swinney: (Muffled pleading)

Saban: You didn't happen to bring your friend DeShaun, did you?

Swinney: (Muffled crying)

Saban: What's that? He's in the NFL now? Well, he was a talented lad.

(Industrial noises)

Swinney: (Resigned crying)

Saban: Well, it's interesting that without him, you really don't have the one thing on this earth that can harm me, do you? (Pause) Really interesting.

Saban: Boys......

Exit Saban to loud screaming off camera.

End Scene. 

Just now, zoony said:

The nfl is just as bad.  Everything is predetermined towards those teams that have a qb.  The only exciting thing that can happen is injury

Every year its the same teams in the playoffs.  Teams that havent needed to waste picks on QB for the past decade

And the random AFC South team. Don't forget them.

11 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The college basketball tournament is awesome because you remember a time twenty years ago when college basketball had good teams and the brackets are fun and it's just an orgy of sports. The basketball tournament is terrible at actually picking the best team each year.

I have always enjoyed the tournament regardless of how guys leaving early for the NBA has lowered the quality of teams. How is the basketball tournament a terrible way of picking the best team? Have there been unworthy champions?

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I have always enjoyed the tournament regardless of how guys leaving early for the NBA has lowered the quality of teams. How is the basketball tournament a terrible way of picking the best team? Have there been unworthy champions?

Oh god yes.....

A one-game single elimination tournament involving 18 and 19 year old athletes is really really silly when you think about it.

It's fun as hell though.

Archived