Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

7 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I don’t hate Bama.  No reason to.  Who do you pull for anyhow?   Probably a ****ing irrelevant team.

I don't know why you hate them.  Maybe just fatigue at them winning five times in nine years.  But the fact you're so pissed off about them proving they belonged by winning the whole damn thing and actually argued that Ohio State was better even though it's clear you probably didn't watch any of their games this year makes your agenda obvious.  Guarantee you wouldn't be ****ing about the selection committee like this if they'd picked Auburn over Bama.

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

No, my team has actually won national championships though.  But thanks for taking up for Steve.  Now run along.

Piss off. 

Says the guys who became a Florida State football fan because of Bobby Bowden and championship caliber teams. And a UNC basketball fan because of Dean Smith and championship caliber teams. And a Chicago Bulls fan because of Michael Jordan and championship teams. And an Atlanta Braves fan because of Mama's Family, orange Tang, TBS and Bobby Cox and championship teams. 

You're all over the map.

And I'm sure whatever other teams you supposedly support also had an era of championship status which is why you hopped on board, like Joe Gibbs and the Redskins. 

You're transparent. 

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Auburn got consideration.  They were good.  But seeing as how they lost to the two teams that Bama beat to win it all and then lost their bowl game to UCF, they don't have a case for being snubbed.  Beating a decimated Bama team was a great win but Bama ultimately demonstrated their superiority.

Bama was definitely better than Penn State.  Penn State had a nice season but they weren't championship caliber.  They were a great RB, a good safety and TE, a solid WR, a meh QB, and a spotty coach.  And that was it.  They might not have even gotten into an 8 team field.

Again, you think what happens int he playoff retroactively justifies who got in, I do not.

I don't want a committee that tries to guess who they think the 4 best teams are. It should be the 4 teams who performed the best during the year. Alabama had a mediocre season at best. The only real team they played dominated them. That team didn't get in, because they went out and lost a game when they were ravaged by injuries. They were a better team than Alabama when they were both healthy, but Alabama deserved a spot more than Auburn because Auburn had three losses. I wouldn't have expected the committee to throw that out and say "screw it, Auburn's better, put them in". 

My feeling is this year there were about 8 teams, maybe more, that were separated by very little. Alabama could've easily lost tonight, really should've. There were other teams that didn't get in that could've won the whole thing if they had two of their better games. 

For the record, I'm not all that concerned about it. Alabama won, they deserved it. They were close enough to being the 4th most deserving team that it doesn't bother me at all that they got it I just wouldn't have picked them. And when someone says they shouldn't have been there, I therefore agreed, and I just don't think what happened in the playoff justifies who gets in the playoff.

Also for the record, the committee has multiple times in the past told us that conference championships were, and should be, the tiebreaker. It's lame that they threw that out this year. As for last year, Ohio St was ranked number 2 in, I believe, all the rankings. That really has nothing to do with this year. There was never a question that you "had to" win a title to get in to the final 4. Just that it was important enough to be a deciding factor when there was close call. But then they went back on that. And that is what stinks.

5 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Piss off. 

Says the guys who became a Florida State football fan because of Bobby Bowden and championship caliber teams. And a UNC basketball fan because of Dean Smith and championship caliber teams. And a Chicago Bulls fan because of Michael Jordan and championship teams. And an Atlanta Braves fan because of Mama's Family, orange Tang, TBS and Bobby Cox and championship teams. 

You're all over the map.

And I'm sure whatever other teams you supposedly support also had an era of championship status which is why you hopped on board, like Joe Gibbs and the Redskins. 

You're transparent. 

Lol, you sound like a ****ing stalker.  

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

There is nothing objective in your posts and you don’t seem to actually be reading what people are posting. 

I'm not trying to be objective.  I'm analyzing which teams are the best based on actually watching them play.  Which is what the selection committee does.  It's not that complicated and it's absolutely the best way to determine a credible playoff field and national champion.

I'm reading what you're posting and responding to your arguments.  What in my response is confusing you?

2 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Lol, you sound like a ****ing stalker.  

:ols:

Interestingly enough, you've spouted that stuff yourself, willingly, here. I can't help it that I've unwittingly stepped into your word diarrhea more than a few times on this message board. 

Hey, who's your NHL team? Do they have championships too? 

What about Premier League? Bet they have history. :)

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

They were a better team than Alabama when they were both healthy,

Bama had been decimated by injuries in that game.  They weren't close to healthy.  If they had been, they probably would have won.  Auburn was a really good team but they don't have the horses that Bama does and I don't think there is anyway they would have dominated Clemson like that.

Bama was probably the only team that could have beaten Clemson among any of the potential playoff teams.

Statements like the one I quoted are what make me suspect that the people who don't think Bama deserved to get in didn't follow them that close this season.

I also don't think a conference championship tiebreaker came into play for picking between Bama and the field this year.  Everyone had stumbles and the only team that didn't get in that was close to Bama was Auburn and they didn't win the SEC either.  Ohio State wasn't close this year.  Neither was Penn State or USC.  This was a much more straightforward season than last year.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not trying to be objective.  I'm analyzing which teams are the best based on actually watching them play.  Which is what the selection committee does.  It's not that complicated and it's absolutely the best way to determine a credible playoff field and national champion.

I'm reading what you're posting and responding to your arguments.  What in my response is confusing you?

You aren’t actually analyzing anything. It’s your feeling that Alabama deserved to be in and that the SEC was the best conference this season. None of the analytics, computer rankings, etc, had the SEC being good or Alabama being one of the 4 best regular season teams.

Since it all comes down to the “eye test”  why have a regular season? That way we can pretend that Miss State didn’t fold in the last couple minutes against Alabama, who didn’t look like a good team. (Cue the they had injuries excuse) We can just go based off the best coaches and the best recruits so we don’t have to worry that the best team they beat was a 3 loss team and they got beat up by another 3 loss team. 

@Monk4thaHALL let me break it down for you.  I'm 42 years old, born in NC (1975).  There were zero professional teams in the state, college sports, specifically basketball (see Tobacco Road) was life for most of us.  So, at a young age, 5 to be exact, my parents got me involved in sports.  My mom was a die-hard Yankee's fan, my dad a San Fran. Giants fan.  I chose the Braves, because of my friends and the fact they were on TV.  They sucked ****, for years, but I never cared, it was my team.  they did finally become a powerhouse years later when I was in high school/college.

All of my family was into UNC basketball/football.  I started pulling for UNC because of my family.  I still remember watching the 1982 national championship game against Georgetown and Jordan hitting the game winning shot, etc.  Jordan became my hero, like he did to most kids back then.  Then came the NBA draft, being a Jordan fan, I pulled for the Bulls, it was my first NBA team to pull for.  There wasn't the Hornets.  

As far as the Redskins, that too was the family's team to pull for, so I did, still do.  All of my family members besides my mom, started pulling for the Panthers when they came around.  But I wouldn't.  And I never will.  And because the ACC sucked in football, while in Jr. High (7th grade) I got big into college football, FSU was not in the ACC, and I loved defense first, so I started following them, pulling for them, etc.  Became a fan.  Then they joined the ACC.  Oh well.

So no, I didn't start pulling for teams because they won, except the Skins, but that was how I was raised, to be a Redskins fan, just lucky they started winning when I was young and got to see it.  Most of my other teams, with exception of UNC in 82 didn't start winning until later.  Just want you to get MY story straight, since it seems like you are so interested in who I pull for.  

Never had a problem with you, still don't, so not sure why you decided to mess with me tonight.  But at least if you're going to stalk me, get your ****ing facts straight.

As a Penn State fan, I don’t think they deserved the playoff either. I think 4 teams is enough though. But 8 wouldn’t be a bad thing-Alabama winning justifies it IMO. Could Penn State have won 3 games in a row to win it all, unlikely but possible. That’s why you do playoffs. It’s not about who is best in paper-it’s who performs best in that shortened “second season”.

Football is also a very violent sport and over three games your team could suffer key injuries and end up playing in the championship without key players. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

You aren’t actually analyzing anything. It’s your feeling that Alabama deserved to be in and that the SEC was the best conference this season. None of the analytics, computer rankings, etc, had the SEC being good or Alabama being one of the 4 best regular season teams.

Since it all comes down to the “eye test”  why have a regular season? That way we can pretend that Miss State didn’t fold in the last couple minutes against Alabama, who didn’t look like a good team. (Cue the they had injuries excuse) We can just go based off the best coaches and the best recruits so we don’t have to worry that the best team they beat was a 3 loss team and they got beat up by another 3 loss team. 

How else do you practice the "eye test" if not by watching games?   And when have statistical analytics ever been a credible part of evaluating anything about football?  Football is not a stat sport.  The only way to get a picture of what's happening on the field is watching.

It's not just about recruiting rankings.  Florida State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, LSU, etc. are all filled with blue chippers too.  Bama got in because they were an elite team and they revealed this over the course of the season through their play.  There is no shame in losing a big rivalry game in Jordan Hare to a top ten opponent when you're decimated by injuries.  Especially not in a season where everyone else stumbled.

Out of curiosity, who do you think should have gotten in over Bama?

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Bama had been decimated by injuries in that game.  They weren't close to healthy.  If they had been, they probably would have won.  Auburn was a really good team but they don't have the horses that Bama does and I don't think there is anyway they would have dominated Clemson like that.

Bama was probably the only team that could have beaten Clemson among any of the potential playoff teams.

Statements like the one I quoted are what make me suspect that the people who don't think Bama deserved to get in didn't follow them that close this season.

I also don't think a conference championship tiebreaker came into play for picking between Bama and the field this year.  Everyone had stumbles and the only team that didn't get in that was close to Bama was Auburn and they didn't win the SEC either.  Ohio State wasn't close this year.  Neither was Penn State or USC.  This was a much more straightforward season than last year.

Again, I think the 4 teams should be picked on who did the most during the year, you think it should be based on people deciding who the "best" are. That's a fundamental difference that we're not going to agree on, and there's not much point debating past that. I just don't know of any other sport where titles end up by people determining who you are, not what you've done, and I'll never see why college football should be.

For what it's worth, I actually saw Alabama a number of times this year, They never really impressed me. Top 10-ish, sure But I never saw a team that was showing anything near greatness. 

To go further, Penn States two loses came from a total of 4 points, on the road. A one point loss came after a three hour weather delay. 

Pointing out because, arguably, PSU was two plays from an undefeated season (assuming they beat Wisconsin in B10 final). They probably would’ve made the playoff, but in hindsight they weren’t as good on paper as the four teams that did make the playoffs.

It always bothers me about American fans- how lots of fans hate the Pats, Cowboys, Alabama, Bulls dynasties etc. It’s sports -they’re supposed to try to be excellent for as long as possible. 

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

How else do you practice the "eye test" if not by watching games?   And when have statistical analytics ever been a credible part of evaluating anything about football?  Football is not a stat sport.  The only way to get a picture of what's happening on the field is watching.

It's not just about recruiting rankings.  Florida State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, LSU, etc. are all filled with blue chippers too.  Bama got in because they were an elite team and they revealed this over the course of the season through their play.  There is no shame in losing a big rivalry game in Jordan Hare to a top ten opponent when you're decimated by injuries.  Especially not in a season where everyone else stumbled.

Out of curiosity, who do you think should have gotten in over Bama?

First off, I’m in favor of an 8 team playoff. All conference champs plus 3 wild card with preference given to an undefeated or highly ranked non-power 5 team.

Pretty much conference champs should always be in first unless there is a one loss team that had a crazy tough out of conference schedule. If you can’t win your own division, let alone your conference, you shouldn’t get an invite. Makes the regular season matter. The conference championship games would effectively be the first round of the playoffs for some teams. Actually, some of the late season rivalry games would have the same atmosphere. 

The Ohio States and Alabamas shouldn’t get a pass to the playoffs that other teams would never get. 

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

For what it's worth, I actually saw Alabama a number of times this year, They never really impressed me. Top quash, sure But I never saw a team that was showing anything near greatness. 

FWIW, I think a team reveals who they are by what they do on the field.  And I'm not sure how you can argue that you really are basing your opinion of who should be selected based on what they do if you don't think it matters that Bama beat Clemson and Georgia.

CFB will always have a subjective playoff selection process because, just like with CBB, it's a sport with a ton of different leagues.  A subjective determination of who the best teams are conducted by a panel of experts is the only credible way of doing it really.

But responding specifically to the part I quoted, I agree that this year's Bama team wasn't great.  Not compared to their teams from the previous two seasons.  But they were still as good or better than everyone else.  And they were significantly diminished by injuries for most of the year.  They looked a lot better the past two weeks after getting so many guys back from injury.

Those were pretty good Clemson and Georgia teams they beat.  Flawed yes, but very strong.  Beating them proves this was a really good Bama team.

3 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

To go further, Penn States two loses came from a total of 4 points, on the road. A one point loss came after a three hour weather delay. 

Pointing out because, arguably, PSU was two plays from an undefeated season (assuming they beat Wisconsin in B10 final). They probably would’ve made the playoff, but in hindsight they weren’t as good on paper as the four teams that did make the playoffs.

It always bothers me about American fans- how lots of fans hate the Pats, Cowboys, Alabama, Bulls dynasties etc. It’s sports -they’re supposed to try to be excellent for as long as possible. 

People like underdogs. I think people admire what teams do but they want sports drama. The Patriots winning the Super Bowl will suck because it’s nothing new.

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

First off, I’m in favor of an 8 team playoff. All conference champs plus 3 wild card with preference given to an undefeated or highly ranked non-power 5 team.

Pretty much conference champs should always be in first unless there is a one loss team that had a crazy tough out of conference schedule. If you can’t win your own division, let alone your conference, you shouldn’t get an invite. Makes the regular season matter. The conference championship games would effectively be the first round of the playoffs for some teams. Actually, some of the late season rivalry games would have the same atmosphere. 

The Ohio States and Alabamas shouldn’t get a pass to the playoffs that other teams would never get. 

Do you agree that a four team playoff should consist of the four best teams?

I understand what you think the selection criteria should be in a vacuum, but do you have a specific team in mind for who should have gotten in over Bama this season?

Thought Jalen Hurts handled a tough situation with a lot of class and good sportsmanship.

Unfortunately for him, that lefty Freshman looks really damn good.  Hurts is a good player but the Freshman might already be better than him.  His footwork and his arm talent are impressive.  And he looked pretty poised for his age.  Hurts might have lost his starting job from here on out.

6 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

The solution is simple.  8 teams.  5 power conf champs.  Top ranked next 5 conf champ. And 2 wild cards.  

Bama still wins this year 

That seems like a decent solution, and a fairly safe one.  But the potential issue there is that there will be years when one of the power five conferences doesn't produce a top eight team and other power five conferences will produce multiple ones.  That would have been an issue this year, as USC would have gotten in automatically over better teams like Penn St/Notre Dame/Wisconsin/Auburn.

But I like that it would strongly incentivize Notre Dame to finally join a conference.

Including conference champions automatically is stupid unless you go to 16 teams. Even then you may get a 3 or 4 loss team in. If you want to truly have the best teams, you put in the best teams regardless of conference. The conference championship games should go out the window and the playoffs should start the same weekend those games are played now. You could have 8 teams and not affect anything that is currently done except the conference championship games. That would also allow for 12 or 16 teams as you could put another game in December. But the conferences won’t go for that. They won’t remove the championship games for a better playoff because they lose money. They won’t agree to any system that doesn’t automatically include one of their teams because they could lose money. And they don’t want a system that would allow a non major conference team in. So we will be stuck with broken models that will always have controversy which people have admitted keeps interest. So they are getting what they want.

If you keep having the same few teams always in, people will lose interest. The Oklahoma-Georgia game was fantastic. I didn’t watch Bama-Clemson and I minimally watched the National Championship game. 

If conference championships don’t matter, Auburn should have gotten in over Alabama. Auburn had the toughest schedule in the country, they were ranked ahead of Alabam before the conference championship game, and they were effectively punished for having to try to beat a damn good Georgia team twice in a month. If it doesn’t mean anything to win it or be in it, why punish teams that lose in that game? All those teams are doing is having to play a really tough game while a certain team plays nobody and get rewarded for that. 

Archived