Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

21 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It was a lot worse than that score indicates.

Its disheartening because just about every week you see some inferior school play great against a top 5 team or even knock them off. It just never happens for VT.

I didn't expect to win but I was hoping we would at least provide a speed bump to Clemson. 

They dominated us right from the beginning and we never threatened or even challenged them. Take some shots. Do something. The middle of the field and the deep routes were there all night. Clemson's front 7 is incredible but their secondary is definitely the weakest part of that defense. I know he's young but Jackson is basically a one read QB against a good defense. the problem is he is going to throw it to that one read regardless. Which leads to a gameplan where we run 75 plays that are screens or flat passes that are completely exposed and destroyed in the 2nd half. 

Feunte has a lot of work to do. I know he's from Memphis where 'the little engine that could' story was good enough but that doesn't work here. We are trying to take the next step and that ridiculous effort won't cut it. That fake FG was some hot garbage. Clemson didn't give two ****s if we kicked a FG so they sold out to play a fake. We played right into their hands. At least put the offense out there so you have more options and can actually let the people that normally handle the ball try. 

After the Sugar Bowl in 2011 I promised to never spend a penny going to a game or on merchandise until Beamer was gone and changes were made. I'm happy with Feunte but he needs to do a better job in those type of games. The fans showed out all day, they killed gameday and killed it at the game too. We had the eyes of the entire college football world on us and yet again, fall flat on our face. 

I disagree.  A missed FG, fumble at midfield on VT first drive of 2nd half, and a "dropped" screen that ends in a pick 6.  The game got out of hand after those key plays.  With a freshman starting at QB, it was going to take a perfect game to beat Clemson.  The offense was FAR from perfect.  The defense played pretty damn good (one blown assignment).  Let's face it, Clemson has as close to an SEC raster as the ACC has EVER seen. (yes, FSU fans, this includes y'all).

56 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

What are the advantage of scheduling cupcakes? Florida went years scheduling cupcakes and avoiding competition OOC. Their game against Michigan was their first non-SEC regular season game played outside the state of Florida since 1991 against Syracuse. Why should a team pound on cupcakes the first 3 weeks of the season? What point does that prove? 

Aside from the money, it gives you a chance to play the guys that haven't played in a real game yet (underclassmen) or guys that have worked their asses off for 3-4 years and haven't played many meaningful snaps (upperclassman that aren't super talented, but work their asses off in practice).  That way you have some depth later in the year when guys go down.

Also, your starters are less likely to get hurt if they only play a half.  

Also, no losses is better than quality wins for ranking purposes, usually. 

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Also, no losses is better than quality wins for ranking purposes, usually. 

Just ask Baylor and TCU in 2014. Oh wait. Nevermind.

The idea that we will have 4+ undefeated teams to always choose from is foreign to me.

How does one separate a 1 loss Michigan from a 1 loss Clemson or Oklahoma? That's what it usually comes down too. 

34 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Big 10, Pac 12 and Big 12 all play a nine game conference schedule.  ACC and SEC play 8.  Plus they have 1 guaranteed crossover game per year.  So their schedules only change 1 conference game a year.  I'd like to see the SEC and ACC play 9 conference games with no crossover.  For instance, Bama plays- Aub, MSU, Ole Miss, Tex A&M, LSU and Ark ever year in addition to Tenn.  So, they only play FL, GA, Vandy, KU, SC and MizzU once every 6 years.  Same with the ACC. 

I'd like to see players get paid.

So, whatever.

24 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

How does one separate a 1 loss Michigan from a 1 loss Clemson or Oklahoma? That's what it usually comes down too. 

Lowest number of unreported rapes!

Boom. Problem solved.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Just ask Baylor and TCU in 2014. Oh wait. Nevermind.

The idea that we will have 4+ undefeated teams to always choose from is foreign to me.

Right, which is why I said usually.  But ALWAYS, a zero loss team with a weak OOC schedule will get in over a 1-loss team, even if they had a brutal OOC schedule.  Unless the 1-loss team is a "name brand" team (Bama, Mich, OSU, OU, etc) and the zero loss team has no name cache. 

20 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I just like a little friendly action.  I'm out of town for stretch so it gives me something to do.  How else am I supposed to watch and enjoy a college game between two teams that I could give two ****s about? :ols:

Yeah, I've been known to make games "interesting" from time to time.

Games I like today at a glance: 

Penn St. -14

Duke pk

Florida pk

App St. -13.5

Oregon +2.5

Syracuse -3

S. Carolina +3

leaning BC +16.5

Archived