Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

31-17 not as bad as ic could have been. That fumble after the defense pinned Clemson back on the first drive of the 2nd half was a killer. And then the young guy tipping the ball for the pick 6 was game. After the avalanche in the 1st, pretty happy with the way the defense played. 

Get better the the rest of the season and try for revenge in the ACCCG. 

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

31-17 not as bad as ic could have been. That fumble after the defense pinned Clemson back on the first drive of the 2nd half was a killer. And then the young guy tipping the ball for the pick 6 was game. After the avalanche in the 1st, pretty happy with the way the defense played. 

Get better the the rest of the season and try for revenge in the ACCCG. 

Hope springs eternal...

....until you meet the orange swarm!

Actually, I think Clemson will lay an egg at some point this season. Bryant can run, but he is nowhere near the passing  threat that Watson was. Many believe he's just keeping the seat warm until Sunshine comes to the upstate.

The defense this year is phenomenal, but I can see Ga Tech or NC State giving them problems, possibly. Don't really care about rankings, but head scratching that the reigning National champs, who have beaten 3 top 20 teams, is not ranked #1. Oh well...All In!

The problem is 

1) Alabama and Clemson are a world above everyone else and 

2) Virginia Tech was always a flawed team, a "perfect" team recordwise playing imperfect football. Virginia Tech week 1 was fine offensively, but had problems on defense. In week 2 their offense sputtered against Delaware yet they were still able to win due to ST returns and defense. Week 3 against ECU, they fell behind by 14 before dominating. Week 4 continued the narrative of the struggling offense, but again it was ODU so these weaknesses were kind of hidden. 

The game yesterday exposed everything out in the open. Virginia Tech does have problems offensively which haven't been fixed from game to game. They were made a lot more apparent by the efficiency of the Clemson defense which didn't allow much. VT's offense was basically stifled and the defense was being lit up. 

That being said, that was probably the toughest game VT had to play all year. But it was the worst effort by far under the Fuente era. Fuente's teams at VT often fell behind by double digits (ECU, ND, Arkansas in the Belk Bowl, yet always found ways to win. Even in their last meeting VT fell behind by double digits before rallying to make it close. But it was apparent that there would be no such rally yesterday. Just an ugly game to see in person. 

It was a lot worse than that score indicates.

Its disheartening because just about every week you see some inferior school play great against a top 5 team or even knock them off. It just never happens for VT.

I didn't expect to win but I was hoping we would at least provide a speed bump to Clemson. 

They dominated us right from the beginning and we never threatened or even challenged them. Take some shots. Do something. The middle of the field and the deep routes were there all night. Clemson's front 7 is incredible but their secondary is definitely the weakest part of that defense. I know he's young but Jackson is basically a one read QB against a good defense. the problem is he is going to throw it to that one read regardless. Which leads to a gameplan where we run 75 plays that are screens or flat passes that are completely exposed and destroyed in the 2nd half. 

Feunte has a lot of work to do. I know he's from Memphis where 'the little engine that could' story was good enough but that doesn't work here. We are trying to take the next step and that ridiculous effort won't cut it. That fake FG was some hot garbage. Clemson didn't give two ****s if we kicked a FG so they sold out to play a fake. We played right into their hands. At least put the offense out there so you have more options and can actually let the people that normally handle the ball try. 

After the Sugar Bowl in 2011 I promised to never spend a penny going to a game or on merchandise until Beamer was gone and changes were made. I'm happy with Feunte but he needs to do a better job in those type of games. The fans showed out all day, they killed gameday and killed it at the game too. We had the eyes of the entire college football world on us and yet again, fall flat on our face. 

Add another 7 days since UVA's last loss.

On 10/7 UVA hosts Duke, almost a month since they last lost to Indiana (who was up on Ohio St. at halftime and controlled the 2nd quarter against Penn St).

With a win over Duke we would be tied for 1st in the ACC and still just 1 game behind Alabama and Clemson in the loss column. 

It helps to challenge a team because as a good team you want to play other good teams. WVU hasn't lost since that game. 

This is like in NCAA '14 when I would always set the schedule and put it A+. We used to schedule the #1, #2 teams in the country, not give a ****. You schedule a cupcake what does that do? You schedule a tough team it helps this team mentally and psychologically. This is a good team we are playing here. We want to show that we are just as good as them. Now let's go out there and play ball. Rather see that than some shutout against ODU where your weaknesses are masked. Yeah they won 50-0 or 30-0. What a game. But they didn't CHALLENGE themself. 

20 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

It helps to challenge a team because as a good team you want to play other good teams. WVU hasn't lost since that game. 

This is like in NCAA '14 when I would always set the schedule and put it A+. We used to schedule the #1, #2 teams in the country, not give a ****. You schedule a cupcake what does that do? You schedule a tough team it helps this team mentally and psychologically. This is a good team we are playing here. We want to show that we are just as good as them. Now let's go out there and play ball. Rather see that than some shutout against ODU where your weaknesses are masked. Yeah they won 50-0 or 30-0. What a game. But they didn't CHALLENGE themself. 

This is dumb, but on the other hand, you be a great sports talk radio host in 1989.

I like the capitalization too. Really nails the point.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This is dumb, but on the other hand, you be a great sports talk radio host in 1989.

I like the capitalization too. Really nails the point.

What are the advantage of scheduling cupcakes? Florida went years scheduling cupcakes and avoiding competition OOC. Their game against Michigan was their first non-SEC regular season game played outside the state of Florida since 1991 against Syracuse. Why should a team pound on cupcakes the first 3 weeks of the season? What point does that prove? 

Just now, ixcuincle said:

What are the advantage of scheduling cupcakes? Florida went years scheduling cupcakes and avoiding competition OOC. Their game against Michigan was their first non-SEC regular season game played outside the state of Florida since 1991 against Syracuse. Why should a team pound on cupcakes the first 3 weeks of the season? What point does that prove? 

You make a lot of money on a guaranteed win.

Next question!

(As an aside, with a 4 team playoff, I think you would be stupid to schedule any tough OOC foe unless the specific purpose was to up recruiting. Any team with 0 or 1 losses and a conference title is going to be in the discussion. That should be the goal).

Big 10, Pac 12 and Big 12 all play a nine game conference schedule.  ACC and SEC play 8.  Plus they have 1 guaranteed crossover game per year.  So their schedules only change 1 conference game a year.  I'd like to see the SEC and ACC play 9 conference games with no crossover.  For instance, Bama plays- Aub, MSU, Ole Miss, Tex A&M, LSU and Ark ever year in addition to Tenn.  So, they only play FL, GA, Vandy, KU, SC and MizzU once every 6 years.  Same with the ACC. 

Archived