Extremeskins

Who Starts at QB in 2018

Boss_Hogg

Redskins 2018 QB  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who's our next victim?

• Colt McCoy
    • Nate Sudfeld
    • Journeyman QB (Fitzpatrick, Sanchez, etc)
    • Rookie QB

This poll is closed to new votes

The good thing is, at least with the transition tag, it allows other teams to set the market. We'll all find out what a franchise quarterback, in their prime, is really worth on the open market. I just hope there is cap space to match. 

17 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

You left out Kirk. 

That is my honest choice.the NFL is a year to year league, nobody knows what will or won't happen next offseason. It COULD be Kirk, or it COULD be anyone else. Nobody knows.

yea as crazy as it sounds, if KC and this team makes the playoffs and wins one, no way they can afford KC to walk.  They tag him and don't be if we match any offer.  The stupidity of this team has no end.  Trying to save a couple of million per year (average close to 26 million per year) it will probably cost them 30 million per.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Correct me if im wrong but hasn't that ship sailed?

If franchise tag players can't sign contract extensions until the next league year now why would the 49ers give up anything to put themselves into the position we're currently in.

I think its too late this year (don't quote me on that), I'd get through this year with him, get as deep as we can, then franchise and trade him next offseason.  I really want to do a transition tag, but I just don't think Kirk wants a LTD from us anymore.  He's living and dying by these one year prove it deals, all its going to do is hurt us if we keep playing his game expecting different results.

Realistically? We probably end up with Alex Smith. KC will likely be starting Mahomes in 2018. Smith would be a likely bridge QB until a long term solution can be found. Unfortunately for us, we've been searching for a long term QB for over 30 years at this point.

I think this thread could be pretty interesting if we work on the assumption Kirk will be gone.  If he stays, then we close the thread.  Hope for tue best but this thread should be planning for the worst.  And we dont need another thread to argue about Kirk.

That said, if KC is gone I think we bring in Alex Smith as a stop gap.  We draft a mid-roumd QB and hope to strike gold twice.

I just came to a realization: Kirk Cousins is to Washington as Tony Romo was to Dallas... 

let it sink in...

For so many years Dallas was complete garbage, but Tony made them be a .500 team that was in the division conversation late in the year. We all called him a choker and joked about his December record, but we also knew without him they were a 10 loss team easily. Truth is Romo sucked in the playoffs because when facing better teams he couldn't overcome the overall talent gap his roster was playing with. 

"Kirk can't win a playoff game" - He's never had a run game or a defense

"Kirk can't win big games" - When against superior teams he can only do so much

There could be some interesting QB names:

- Drew Brees

- Matt Stafford

- Sam Bradford

- Teddy Bridgewater

- Jimmy Garoppolo

- Colin Kaepernick

Not all of these guys will be there (doubt Stafford and Minnesota will pick between Bradford/Bridgewater), but there will be a couple names still there. 

4 minutes ago, Unbias said:

There could be some interesting QB names:

- Drew Brees

- Matt Stafford

- Sam Bradford

- Teddy Bridgewater

- Jimmy Garoppolo

- Colin Kaepernick

Not all of these guys will be there (doubt Stafford and Minnesota will pick between Bradford/Bridgewater), but there will be a couple names still there. 

I actually think Bradford could run this system very effectively. 

5 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

I'll say Colt starts Game 1, Sudfeld or a potential 1st round pick starts by Game 10 once season is lost.

I think this is more likely to happen in 2017.  If are sitting around .500 and on a losing streak with only a few games to go, or are sitting at 3-5, I could see throwing Sudfeld into some games.  I wouldn't do this early in the season, but after preseason and about 10 games, Sudfeld should have a pretty good feel for the offense in the sense of where everyone should be at a given time during a given play.   If you have that knowledge, you can start to play a little faster.  If Sudfeld is a gamer and self-starter, he should see the writing on the wall and realize he will have a chance to start for the 'Skins if he can just get Allen to realize his name is Nate and not Neil. 

21 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I don't think Kirk is worth it but do you blame him for going after all he can get?

I kind of do blame him actually. He earned more money last year alone than most of us will make in our entire working lives, several times over.

His family are already set for life, so at this point, what value is money? 

I was never blessed with a pro-athlete's skillset, but I'd like to think that if I were in KC's position then I would be willing to sign for vet minimum in 2018 (with whatever team I wanted, Redskins or whoever) and just try to build a legacy of championships. 

I know it's a sport-wide thing, but when did playing to win bags of $$$ become more important than playing to win?

4 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I kind of do blame him actually. He earned more money last year alone than most of us will make in our entire working lives, several times over.

His family are already set for life, so at this point, what value is money? 

I was never blessed with a pro-athlete's skillset, but I'd like to think that if I were in KC's position then I would be willing to sign for vet minimum in 2018 (with whatever team I wanted, Redskins or whoever) and just try to build a legacy of championships. 

I know it's a sport-wide thing, but when did playing to win bags of $$$ become more important than playing to win?

Yeah...he should just play for the "love of the game."  :ols:  This isn't a charity, it's a business.  If Kirk signs what you might consider a "reasonable" contract, you can be sure the Redskins or any other NFL team would cut his ass as soon as it behooves them to do so.  It's a two way street.  Football is a ruthless game and your career can be over in an instant, a large percentage of NFL contracts are not guaranteed, which you seem to neglect in your sentiment.

17 minutes ago, Kluegs17 said:

Yeah...he should just play for the "love of the game."  :ols:  This isn't a charity, it's a business.  If Kirk signs what you might consider a "reasonable" contract, you can be sure the Redskins or any other NFL team would cut his ass as soon as it behooves them to do so.  It's a two way street.  Football is a ruthless game and your career can be over in an instant, a large percentage of NFL contracts are not guaranteed, which you seem to neglect in your sentiment.

Why not? I'm not targetting Kirk specifically here, it's all athletes in the big $$ sports. Of course the team would cut whoever they wanted, whenever they wanted, but if you are happy betting on yourself to not get cut, like Kirk is, and you believe you're the guy who could win a superbowl, and you already have somewhere around 40+ million dollars in the bank, then what on Earth would you want more money for?

As we are talking Kirk though, so what if your career is over in an instant? That's irrelevant. The guaranteed money is also irrelevant to the Kirk discussion, as his contract is fully guaranteed last year, and will be again this year. Would you rather be the guy with $40 million in the bank (which is more money than Kirk will ever spend I would think, knowing the kind of guy he is) and 3 Superbowl rings, or the guy who got the big money and has $80million in the bank but never won anything because he bled the $$$ out of the franchise and they couldn't fill the roster with enough talent to get to the main event?

Tom Brady is prime example of a guy who gets it. He gets paid, but he doesn't sink the team to do it.

I just don't understand the mentality of wanting to accumulate as much money as you can and certainly more than your family could ever spend (unless they're financial lunatics), at the expense of leaving a mark on history.

3 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Why not? I'm not targetting Kirk specifically here, it's all athletes in the big $$ sports. Of course the team would cut whoever they wanted, whenever they wanted, but if you are happy betting on yourself, like Kirk is, and you have somewhere around 40+ million dollars in the bank, then what on Earth would you want more money for?

As we are talking Kirk though, so what if your career is over in an instant? That's irrelevant. The guaranteed money is also irrelevant to the Kirk discussion, as his contract is fully guaranteed last year, and will be again this year. Would you rather be the guy with $40 million in the bank (which is more money than Kirk will ever spend I would think, knowing the kind of guy he is) and 3 Superbowl rings, or the guy who got the big money and has $80million in the bank but never won anything because he bled the $$$ out of the franchise and they couldn't fill the roster with enough talent to get to the main event?

Tom Brady is prime example of a guy who gets it. He gets paid, but he doesn't sink the team to do it.

I just don't understand the mentality of wanting to accumulate as much money as you can and certainly more than your family could ever spend (unless they're financial lunatics), at the expense of leaving a mark on history.

I'm not sure what your profession is, but the next time you receive a promotion you should tell your company you will do the job at no-additional cost so they can put better talent elsewhere within your organization.  I'm sure your company you would be very appreciative of your generosity!

In regards to Tom Brady, the New England Patriots might be the best run organization in all of sports.  Washington might have the biggest clown show in their front office outside of the New York Knicks.  Brady also has mega endorsement deals (in addition to a super model wife) to help bring in additional income.  I cannot substantiate this, but I've also heard that Robert Kraft finds alternative ways to compensate Brady by investing in his businesses, etc.

Archived