Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

58 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Defenseman Tobias Geisser (120th overall)

Defenseman Sebastian Walfridsson (151st overall)

Defenseman Benton Maass (182nd overall)

Left wing Kristian Roykas Marthinsen (213th)

Thanks. So end of 4th-7th rounds. 

I bet trading Grubby would have added at least a 3rd round pick if not better since he was a RFA. 

16 minutes ago, Springfield said:

That’s a silly comment to make.

He cost them the series with the Pens last season with his inexplicable obsession with Brooks Orpik.

If Orpik isn't on the ice in the third period of Game 1, Caps go on to win that game and the series, take it to the bank.  

1 minute ago, Mournblade said:

He cost them the series with the Pens last season with his inexplicable obsession with Brooks Orpik.

If Orpik isn't on the ice in the third period of Game 1, Caps go on to win that game and the series, take it to the bank.  

Well, since you said take it to the bank, you must be right. 

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Well, since you said take it to the bank, you must be right. 

I still have nightmares of Nick Bonino blowing by Orpik in the third period, just as we had tied up the game and 

gotten all the momentum. And that was all on Trotz -- he should known that Orpik had totally lost it and was a total

liability out there. 

6 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I still have nightmares of Nick Bonino blowing by Orpik in the third period, just as we had tied up the game and 

gotten all the momentum. And that was all on Trotz -- he should known that Orpik had totally lost it and was a total

liability out there. 

There is plenty of blame to go around but to presume the Caps would have won the series...

Watched the goals cause didn't even realize the Caps had a game. Not much a goalie can do but it seems the Caps played well 5 on 5. Just can't take a bunch of penalties. Good thing this team is winning on the road cause they are now 1-3 at home. 

5 minutes ago, c slag said:

Capitals are not even though the first month of the season and it feels like it already is starting to slip away

I expect the Caps to be much better in the second half of the season if Trotz keeps playing the young defensemen. No chance the season slips away as we've seen other teams hover around .500 before going on runs and doing well in the playoffs. 

CFThe one thing that's making me sour a.little.on Trotz is that he doesn't seem great at developing young players.  Orlov should be a star by now. Carlson has regressed to being a flaming pile of trash.  Kuznetsov has the skills to be the best player in the league, but hes nowhere close to that status.  Burakovsky continues to be maddeningly inconsistent.  

While he's generally good at getting max value out of vets, with some notable exceptions, shattenkirk and the unmentionable expenguin, I can't think of one player that has improved under his tutelage.  

That's concerning.  If we ain't got the horses this year to make another run, is it time.to get rid of Trotz?  Who's out there ?  Is there a Sutter  available? At the same time, is there any point in firing Trotz if the pipeline is dry?  I think maybe the best move is to make a trade for some speed aand youth on defense , I say we double down because truthfully we don't seem to have the tools to retool.  Neither the appropriate coach to develop talent, nor talent to develop.

Caps just aren't any good now. And Trotz can't send a message anyone listens to. They just tune him out. He's been preaching no penalties since before the season started and they still can't play responsibly.. He's been preaching "energy" since the day he got here and they still have those issues. He's preached net presence since day 1 and still they over pass and avoid the paint like it's a plague. A young, inexperienced team is certainly not in his wheel house.. Add injuries and he's lost.

It's not why. 

It's the younger coaching, from junior hockey forward.  Example:  eye on the puck, fist to the opponent.

image.jpeg.09ac18e42d1f2d8a0651e2b3c9e28fd1.jpeg

Edit, add:  I just had to put Peter in here.  He was a god, and could dissolve ice with his skillz...and uber hotness. 

That said, I saw my home ECHL team lose last night, but there were 3 fights...our 1st year players are hungry!

What's with all the purple at the games now. I have STH and I have gone to every game so far and it's mostly been purple all over the lower bowl. Yesterday was especially bad in the 3rd period but people probably saw enough. Yeesh. The Caps used to sell out every game and there was so much red around. Ain't like that no more.

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Why has Pittsburgh been so lucky with coaches and we have been so cursed :(

They haven't been lucky. Bylsma was alright but after he won the cup he started to regress. Also recall they had a guy between Bylsma and Johnston. Hoping Sullivan eventually regresses but he has won two straight cups and the Penguins other than a few blips look solid. 

Archived