Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

22 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I didn’t get to watch much of the game.  Apparently I didn’t miss much.

Uninspired, bad passing, lazy penalties, shoddy D.. You know, the usual.. lol 

I guess if your Tom Wilson the guy challenging you can't be called for a instigator? 4-1 in the PP didn't help, (or was it 5-1?)  but not sure it would of made a difference anyway.. PP looks like ass, this year.  Trotz either talking to deaf ears or they're just tuning him out.. Splitting Nick and Ovi should have Nick shooting the puck more, no? He and Kuzy, you might as well just leave them alone and play the pass 9 of 10 times.. Top 6 looking weak here lately.. 1 decent 5v5 chance in the 1st 50 minutes of the game and Ovie scored. Looked like they figured out there was a hockey game going on the last few minutes, but too little too late.

19 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Uninspired, bad passing, lazy penalties, shoddy D.. You know, the usual.. lol 

I guess if your Tom Wilson the guy challenging you can't be called for a instigator? 4-1 in the PP didn't help, (or was it 5-1?)  but not sure it would of made a difference anyway.. PP looks like ass, this year.  Trotz either talking to deaf ears or they're just tuning him out.. Splitting Nick and Ovi should have Nick shooting the puck more, no? He and Kuzy, you might as well just leave them alone and play the pass 9 of 10 times.. Top 6 looking weak here lately.. 1 decent 5v5 chance in the 1st 50 minutes of the game and Ovie scored. Looked like they figured out there was a hockey game going on the last few minutes, but too little too late.

The way they have it out for Wilson, I'm surprised they didn't eject him for a clean hit and give the Sabres a PP. 

I figured the Caps would be a long shot to win this game given it was the 3rd game in 4 nights plus travel. 

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

Even so, the goals the Caps gave up were really bad. 

Yes. Djoos needs to sit for his atrocious play behind the net all night. I have high hopes for him, but he was lazy and avoiding contact all night. When he was on the ice, we got penned in our own zone. Orlov and Carlson are the only defensemen that are getting the puck out of the zone, and we all know how they make a boneheaded play or two every night. 

But Wilson EARNED the instigator. Clean hit, other guy jumped in and wrapped him up. Definition of an instigator call. Plus all the stick infraction that were not called on Buffalo. Vrana was going down the RW with the puck and speed to create a 2 on 1 and Kane put the blade under his armpit and pulled for like 3 strides and nothing was called. 30 seconds later Kuzy gets called for a slash trying a lift check (the same play Eichel did to Orpik that lead to the Kane goal). The league needs to decide to call penalties the same both ways, regardless of PP proficiency. The Caps get a bunch at home when their PP and s scuffling at Home. On the road, sizzling at 30%, they get 1 because the refs don’t want to be accused of turning the game on a call. It’s ridiculous. When the Caps start sizzling at home, watch the calls go from 4 per game to 1 real quick. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

The Caps sitting MadBow and DJoos occasionally is certainly a good idea. The problem for Djoos is that he is so rail skinny that he probably doesn't enjoy contact at all. 

The he can't play, period.  Go to the AHL and add some bulk.  We can't afford a defenseman that allows the team to get penned into their own end.  When Nisky gets back, I want to see:

9-2

44-74

22-55

If Chorney never skates again, I'm good.  He is a black hole in our zone.  Ness is lightyears better than him.  I think Ness is better than Djoos right now.

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

The he can't play, period.  Go to the AHL and add some bulk.  We can't afford a defenseman that allows the team to get penned into their own end.  When Nisky gets back, I want to see:

9-2

44-74

22-55

If Chorney never skates again, I'm good.  He is a black hole in our zone.  Ness is lightyears better than him.  I think Ness is better than Djoos right now.

I do think Ness is skating well. Djoos is here to stay cause he is solid skating with the puck and the Caps need some offense. Gotta play these young guys and live with some early results. 

I maintain that that the number one problem is Orpik. 

10 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

We’re not as good as we once were, but we’re not going to finish last in the division. That’s a bit of hyperbole there by Greenberg.

I don't think it's hyperbole.  This team is just not good.  Trotz is a big part of that.  Hopefully he gets canned sooner, rather than later. 

Also, I guarantee Hobbs will be on the Caps next year out of camp.  If he didn't get hurt, I wouldn't be shocked if he had a mid-season call-up.  He's going to be the best of the bunch and will eventually be a top pairing defenseman for this team down the road.  He's that good. 

22 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I don't think it's hyperbole.  This team is just not good.  Trotz is a big part of that.  Hopefully he gets canned sooner, rather than later. 

Also, I guarantee Hobbs will be on the Caps next year out of camp.  If he didn't get hurt, I wouldn't be shocked if he had a mid-season call-up.  He's going to be the best of the bunch and will eventually be a top pairing defenseman for this team down the road.  He's that good. 

Trotz needs to be canned, and is there any way to just buy out Brooks Orpik? He's just a cancer on this team, no other way to describe it. 

11 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

But you are comparing us to when we were one of the elite.  We've gone from elite to the middle of the pack.  I just cannot sit here and say we are a bad team or one of the worst in our division, let alone the league.  I think when all is said and done, we still finish above at least the Islanders and Hurricanes.  I can see us finishing above the Rangers also.  Flyers will be tough to pass.  I'm not sure the Devils are for real yet and can see them wear down with that young team as the season progresses, so we could possibly pass them or fight with them in the standings.  Pens and Jackets are clearly better than we are.

We are not good, we're average. I think we fight for a playoff spot at the end.  We still have some pretty good pieces on the roster and an elite player scoring goals along with a goalie who is in the top 5 every year.

Yea, Trotz could be in trouble if they come out on the loosing end of too many more games like the other night.. He just doesn't trust his youth and is over playing the vets and the back half of these b2b games have been brutal.. They just look dead. They really need Nisky to get back (and play well) sooner than later.. Read a headline that he practiced today, but not sure about handling a stick?

Caps are playing well so far. 

I think Tom Wilson is a much better player this season as he doesn't seem to compelled or isn't being encouraged by the team to hit and fight everyone. The NHL really did a disservice to Wilson with their AHL age rules. I think he would be a much more skill player if he didn't spend two seasons on the 4th line when he really wasn't quite ready. 

Excellent win all the way around. Heck, the Caps scored all the goals tonight. Orpik played well, young guys played well. 

Holtby the 2nd fastest to 200 wins ever as a goalie. 

Oh, nice adjustment on the PP too. Credit all around when the Caps beat the Pens. 

Was at the game, too much fun. Game puck to Holtby. We should’ve had more goals honestly. Sat near a bunch of penguins fans and they were all really cool. Oshie is the MAN. I’m 2-0 at capitals games. Let’s go CAPS!. Also it’s great to see a win against the Pens without Burakovsky and Niskanen.

3 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

That was a fun Friday night hockey game! How bout my boy Liam? Beat the hell out of Reaves hand with his head!! :rofl89:

Holts kept em' in it really, then they took off!! Nice home ice W against Pitt..

Liam's great.  Making the opening-night roster a few years back as an undrafted free-agent was a great story in perseverance.

9 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Liam's great.  Making the opening-night roster a few years back as an undrafted free-agent was a great story in perseverance.

For sure! He has what a lot of the team is missing. Heart!! It's too bad Trotz don't give guys like him much of a chance.

Archived