Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

So long as Orpik and Carlson are the top line, this team is going to be mediocre at best. I will say that Orpik still lays people out, but the feet speed just isn't there for the amount of minutes he is playing. 

While I agree with you, that isn’t everything.  Our highest paid players are SLOW.  As ****.  Backstrom couldn’t be any slower.  Ovechkin has been slow for a while and continues to slow.  All these quick teams expose our lack of speed on both sides of the puck.

At least Kuznetsov, Oshie and Wilson have something in the tank.  Eller, Connolly and Stephenson have speed but just don’t score.

Too damn slow and old though.  That’s the problem.

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

While I agree with you, that isn’t everything.  Our highest paid players are SLOW.  As ****.  Backstrom couldn’t be any slower.  Ovechkin has been slow for a while and continues to slow.  All these quick teams expose our lack of speed on both sides of the puck.

At least Kuznetsov, Oshie and Wilson have something in the tank.  Eller, Connolly and Stephenson have speed but just don’t score.

Too damn slow and old though.  That’s the problem.

Nothing wrong with Backstrom's speed because he slows the game down to his tempo.

Missed the 1st period.. But I see getting Niskanen back has done wonders. Team giving up 2 goals per period since his return.. I guess there's something to say about chemistry and this team rarely has any, after they add a "key" piece..

Not sure how Orpik got a penalty after that clean hit, but then the Kuzy penalty was just more dumb hockey. Now DSP in the box. SMH. Boys better tighten up.

Ah well, that 4th goal will do it for me as well. Time for sleep.

On that 4th goal, Orpik simply cannot lose the puck behind the net. It's becoming a reoccurring theme. Also, MadBow needs to get physical and clear the crease. He plays way too soft. 

On the plus side, the 3rd line is the best line again for the Caps. Wilson is a one man forecheck and if he ever starts scoring goals he will be that big power forward fans have dreamed about. Of course given the Caps salaries, they will likely lose him in a couple years. 

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

Went to bed after the first period.  Recorded the game.  Saw the score.  Don't think I want to watch the rest of it.  Bad mini road trip to give up 12 goals.  Got to get right with the home stand.

It's not worth watching. Caps should be embarrassed by the way they played. Offensively there is no cohesion and defensively they give way too much space cause they know they lack the speed to hang with these teams.

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

On that 4th goal, Orpik simply cannot lose the puck behind the net. It's becoming a reoccurring theme.

Why are they doing that so much this year? Seems like everyone whiffs on the puck behind the net or makes a terrible turnover near the net.. Is it happening more or is it just ending up in our net about every time they do it? Maybe they're trying to compensate for lack of speed with faster passing and they're just making mistakes? Just a theory.. Definitely need to tighten up their game though. Penalties, bad turnovers, lack of speed to make up for bad plays, no offensive cohesion, etc. seems to be catching up. (and another 2 goals in the 3rd to keep their 2 GA per period active, since Niskanen return.) Penalty shot? Oof.. Glad I turned it off after the 2nd period..

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Cue the funeral music. The window is officially shut. Time to look at fireselling. It was a fun ride, got some great regular seasons, unfortunately we couldn't cash in and win a Cup.

I predict Trotz gets fired before the end of the month.

Nothing should happen until a new GM from outside the organization comes in. All GMBM has done recently is hand out some big contracts that give the Caps no flexibility over the next couple years and beyond. You have to figure GMBM wouldn't trade or move any of the players he has signed long term so that leaves Ovechkin and Backstrom. Trading Backstrom would be monumentally stupid. 

4 hours ago, Hersh said:

Nothing should happen until a new GM from outside the organization comes in. All GMBM has done recently is hand out some big contracts that give the Caps no flexibility over the next couple years and beyond. You have to figure GMBM wouldn't trade or move any of the players he has signed long term so that leaves Ovechkin and Backstrom. Trading Backstrom would be monumentally stupid. 

I like that GMBM went all in to try to win a Cup. Unfortunately the moves didn't work out. He should have accepted that the window was shut and begun the rebuilding process last off season instead of spending money on keeping guys like Oshie(don't get me wrong good player, but again, we aren't winning anything anytime soon, time to start over fresh from scratch).

I'd look into trading anyone, except maybe Holtby since elite goalies are so hard to find and he's still young. Back is great but you gotta figure he'd fetch a ton in a trade.

I'll give GMBM a little credit. He did some good things early on and the team was a power house for a few years, but his real GM skills were exposed this off season.

The next report card will come around the time of the trade deadline. Don't think it's time to panic just yet, but they don't look like they're heading in a very good direction at the moment.

Imo, even if it goes bad, Ted doesn't have the man parts to fire him..  He'll probably get a chance with at least 1 more head coach if not more.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Lol at everyone freaking out after a two game skid. 

They'll be fine.

In 20 games this season, they been beat down 5 times. They have given up the first goal in 14 of 20 games including a few games within the first 2 minutes of a game. 

If not for Holtby playing great a few games, this is a sub .500 team. 

It's not freaking out it's acknowledging this isn't a good team at the moment.

13 hours ago, Hersh said:

In 20 games this season, they been beat down 5 times. They have given up the first goal in 14 of 20 games including a few games within the first 2 minutes of a game. 

If not for Holtby playing great a few games, this is a sub .500 team. 

It's not freaking out it's acknowledging this isn't a good team at the moment.

And they're 6-4 in their last 10. Did you know that's better than Pittsburgh over their last 10? 

They'll be fine.

cut.png

16 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

And they're 6-4 in their last 10. Did you know that's better than Pittsburgh over their last 10? 

They'll be fine.

cut.png

Comparing the 2-time defending champs to the Caps is meaningless. 

You must not actually be watching the games on a regular basis yet. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Comparing the 2-time defending champs to the Caps is meaningless. 

You must not actually be watching the games on a regular basis yet. 

Oh come on, I'm at nearly every game 

This team is still adapting they'll be fine. 5th in a frenetic Metro and people already freaking out smh

It's still too early to worry, this team still like this in Feb and then start worrying 

Archived