Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

16 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Cause of the current GM who tried to load this team for the playoffs and lost a crapshoot series to the Pens?

McClellan is one of the last people Caps fans should be trying to fire. I would fire him after 3 more years of disappointment. They don't even have a losing record.

As you can tell I am averse to gung ho firings. I understand firings come quickly in the NHL but at the same time you need to be able to show loyalty and trust when the times get tough instead of just threatening to sack everyone as if it were a magical solution to all the world's problems. Then again, Pittsburgh makes no qualms about firing people when they don't get the job done and doing so has won multiple championships for the Penguins.

I get it. I was a long time defender of GMGM. What I am not seeing from the current GM is both near term and longer term thinking/moves. One of the keys to the Penguins success is adding talented youth and continually restocking their farm system. I think it would have been relatively easy to make a few moves for the future and still contend this year. What the current GM is missing is the moves for the future that prolongs contending opportunities. 

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

LOL, he didn't build those teams. He added a couple of players and I give him full credit for the Oshie trade. Niskanen is a solid player and Orpik's contract was immediately terrible. Williams was a good player too. However, many of the depth players that played well during the regular season didn't do anything in the playoffs .

At the end of the day, 2nd round exits are second round exits but hey, if that's what you are happy with. 

We have self inflicted salary cap issues cause of the current GM. 

Orpik's contract wasn't as bad as initially thought.  He was a pretty good player his first few years here.  Second round exits... well **** the NHL for this bull**** bracket format that forced the President's Trophy winner to face the 2nd seed in the second round two years in a row.

23 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Orpik's contract wasn't as bad as initially thought.  He was a pretty good player his first few years here.  Second round exits... well **** the NHL for this bull**** bracket format that forced the President's Trophy winner to face the 2nd seed in the second round two years in a row.

We certainly disagree on the Orpik contract. He was good for about a year. 

As far as the playoff seeding go, they are terrible but the Pens face the same

predicament and still win. 

While I'm glad the team has shown a pulse for the past 3 games, I'm still lukewarm on Trotz as the guy to get this team over the hump.  Anything short of ECF berth SHOULD result in him being let go.  Same goes for any sort of ridiculous slide during the regular season that displays his stubbornness. 

11 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

What's with the lack of patience in this city?

Im not ready to go firing people either, but Ovie has been in the league for 13 years and we’ve yet to get out of the second round. How much more patience should we have? Multiple division banners and worthless Presidents trophies with zero to show for. The window is closing and is about to be bolted shut soon.

7 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Im not ready to go firing people either, but Ovie has been in the league for 13 years and we’ve yet to get out of the second round. How much more patience should we have? Multiple division banners and worthless Presidents trophies with zero to show for. The window is closing and is about to be bolted shut soon.

The last two second rounds were essentially for the cup.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:34 AM, Warhead36 said:

I think Trotz is being saved by Ovechkin who's having a bit of a renaissance year. I think he's motivated to kick ass in the Winter Olympics, dude probably doesn't care anymore about the Cup and will check out in the spring.

Ovie won't be playing in the Winter Olympics.

13 hours ago, c slag said:

I think GMBM is very aggressive with adding players to the roster to try and get the team over the hump

Will be interesting to see depending on our place in the standings what moves he makes at the trade deadline this spring 

Has he added anyone at a trade deadline that has made any difference at all?

4 hours ago, Hersh said:

Just a failed attempt with Shattenkirk last season 

I am going to say that it will depend on the standings this spring whether the Capitals are buying or selling and we can judge him better on the decisions made then

9 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I didn’t really care for the Shattenkirk deal. I thought the defense was fine and gelling.

I was one of the few that was PISSED he was exposed in the expansion draft.

I wasn't happy about it, but I figured Vegas would take Grubauer anyways.  Instead they took friggin flower.  GMGM's a jerkface.

5 hours ago, Hersh said:

Good point....and I think Carlson will be gone by the deadline. 

He's playing well and eating minutes this year, but I don't see any way that the team can afford him going forward. I'm ok with that...as long as the return is plentiful. 

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Of course everyone here was loving the Shattenkirk deal which of course made Nate Schmidt the odd man out.  Boy were we wrong about all of that.

My question wasn't meant to even criticize that, but when we evaluate his performance, ultimately he really hasn't made a move at the deadline that made any difference. It was much the same with GMGM.

2 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Good point....and I think Carlson will be gone by the deadline. 

He's playing well and eating minutes this year, but I don't see any way that the team can afford him going forward. I'm ok with that...as long as the return is plentiful. 

They should have traded him in the off-season before the expansion draft. I bet they would have landed a solid return. 

14 hours ago, Hersh said:

My question wasn't meant to even criticize that, but when we evaluate his performance, ultimately he really hasn't made a move at the deadline that made any difference. It was much the same with GMGM.

They should have traded him in the off-season before the expansion draft. I bet they would have landed a solid return. 

Correct! Year before last they needed a blue liner and he brought in a couple 4th line forwards. Last year they didn't need anything and he brought Shattenkirk, who everyone knew couldn't play much D, but was hoping to make the PP even better.. (And keep NYR and Pitt from getting him) but he basically just spends money and doesn't look very far ahead. Should of had a plan B when they took Schmidt.. Even the appearance of shopping Carslon would of given teams something to think about when they offered NOTHING for Johansson, knowing GMBM couldn't afford to keep him. If they thought we might free up cap space with a Carlson trade they may have been more inclined to include a decent pick or prospect in the trade.

As for Carlson we should have traded and/or be looking to move him by the deadline, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us keep him until he just walks for nothing. He's a top, homegrown defender, 1st rounder and we know how our GM's despise trading (or resigning) them before it's way too late.

Yea, Orpik seems to always be involved... In a bad way. (They said Carlson got clipped at the redline and was pissed?) Either way, looked good early, got sloppy, gave up the goal. Lots of (recent) same ol' goin on, with good zone time but nobody wants to shoot/score..

Archived