Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

3 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Why has Pittsburgh been so lucky with coaches and we have been so cursed :(

Luck and opportunity meet up in Pittsburgh apparently.. Twice they've won a cup while changing coaches mid season.. But they don't sit around and wait when it doesn't look good, they pull the trigger and it's paid off. Plus their gm and scouting dept makes ours it's **** on a regular basis. Their AHL team/system has players ready and the coach gives them opportunity (possibly due to injury) but again, luck meeting opportunity. Our Gm(s) have traded our prospects and draft picks at the deadline and have gotten back plugs who kill chemistry.. Then there's Crosby and Malkin.. All adds up.

A little bit of an overreaction going on now. The Caps are always great the first half of the season and only okay the second half. This team may be the opposite of that which would be a good thing. 

Don't mistake my hope for supporting GMBM or Trotz. I've already been criticizing the front office this season. I just think we need to give some young players a chance to improve rhe first half of the season before passing judgement 

5 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

What's with all the purple at the games now. I have STH and I have gone to every game so far and it's mostly been purple all over the lower bowl. Yesterday was especially bad in the 3rd period but people probably saw enough. Yeesh. The Caps used to sell out every game and there was so much red around. Ain't like that no more.

They haven't been lucky. Bylsma was alright but after he won the cup he started to regress. Also recall they had a guy between Bylsma and Johnston. Hoping Sullivan eventually regresses but he has won two straight cups and the Penguins other than a few blips look solid. 

But that's only one half of my comment. The other half is that we have been tremendously unlucky with coaches, and I'm willing to lump Trotz in the same category as Hunter and Oates. No where near as incompetent as those guys, obviously, but just like those guys, he can't get it done.

45 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Nisky and Bura gone. Let the tank begin.

The upside is that the Caps are going to be forced to develop depth and play younger guys. No way they are going to tank nor should they. Won't serve any purpose cause they won't come close to any kind of top pick. 

4 minutes ago, Koala said:

I don't think we have any young talent at the forward position. Burakovsky IS our young talent.  

I didn't mean to suggest it would be a young player moving into the top 6, but I would think Wilson slides up and a young player from Hershey fills in where Wilson was. 

38 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So there isn’t much talent on the roster at this point, huh?

100% on the GM. He chose to pay out some big contracts to a few players which has sacrificed all the depth on the team.  

Just now, Hersh said:

100% on the GM. He chose to pay out some big contracts to a few players which has sacrificed all the depth on the team.  

I think Oshie should have been paid.  Orpik is another story.  I’m all for a youth movement, but none of these young guys really look hungry.  It’s like an AHL team out there.

Just now, Springfield said:

I think Oshie should have been paid.  Orpik is another story.  I’m all for a youth movement, but none of these young guys really look hungry.  It’s like an AHL team out there.

I get Oshie, but other big contracts include Holtby, Orlov, Niskanen, and Orpik. (Not gonna include 8 or 19 or 92) To me, one issue is the Caps pay big money on defense but don't have a steady, elite defenseman. The other issue that I've repeated in here is the lack of creativity with the lineup. 

I know the Caps can't trade Carlson right now, but man they could get a decent return for him. Probably a 2nd round pick at a minimum. 

Looked like the Kuzy goal was the 1st second chance opportunity they had. Not sure what coach is asking of them, but one and done in the O zone isn't a good recipe. Seems their always looking to snipe, w/o many snipers.. If they were trading chances and getting burned the lopsided score would be easier to swallow, but this just looks like bad hockey.. Carlson should be stepping up as a leader/motivator on D, yet he still just looks uninterested and lost. Guess the last 2 years has taken the drive out of most of these guys.

Someone said Trotz out by Thanksgiving? Gobble gobble!! lol 

23 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Looked like the Kuzy goal was the 1st second chance opportunity they had. Not sure what coach is asking of them, but one and done in the O zone isn't a good recipe. Seems their always looking to snipe, w/o many snipers.. If they were trading chances and getting burned the lopsided score would be easier to swallow, but this just looks like bad hockey.. Carlson should be stepping up as a leader/motivator on D, yet he still just looks uninterested and lost. Guess the last 2 years has taken the drive out of most of these guys.

Someone said Trotz out by Thanksgiving? Gobble gobble!! lol 

Trotz isn't the problem right now. Maybe later this season but certainly not now. The issue lies with the way the roster was constructed and a couple of the current players. It's not Trotz's fault he has to play Orpik 20+ minutes a night or that he has two young defensemen a few games into their careers. The latter will at least 30+ games to start to evaluate. It's not Trotz's fault that Bura and Kuzy aren't scoring. They have chances but aren't finishing. GMBM should go before Trotz. 

19 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Trotz isn't the problem right now. Maybe later this season but certainly not now. The issue lies with the way the roster was constructed and a couple of the current players. It's not Trotz's fault he has to play Orpik 20+ minutes a night or that he has two young defensemen a few games into their careers. The latter will at least 30+ games to start to evaluate. It's not Trotz's fault that Bura and Kuzy aren't scoring. They have chances but aren't finishing. GMBM should go before Trotz. 

Trotz is left with a pile, no doubt! But someone always falls on the axe. I agree though, GMBM should be gone even sooner, but won't..

Archived