Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BREAKING: House Majority Whip Steve Scalise and aides shot in Alexandria park

Popeman38

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/14/virginia-gop-baseball-practice-shooting-multiple-people-shot.html

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise was shot in the hip and at least one other aide was also hit in the chest by a gunman with a rifle who opened fire at a baseball practice in Virginia Wednesday morning, Fox News confirmed. 

Police tweeted they "believed" the gunman was in custody. Sen. Mike Lee told Fox News, however, the gunman was dead. He said a staffer used a belt as a tourniquet to stop Scalise's bleeding.

Display nothing; This is on Publish with no configured Image

The shots were reported on East Monroe Street in Del Ray, Alexandria police said on Twitter at 7:30 a.m. The location was near a YMCA. 

1 minute ago, Bang said:

ah, ****.

I sincerely hope the President can say something to try to calm things down. This is entirely too much.

Come on, Mr. President. Lead in crisis.

~Bang

The suspected shooter is a chubby white male. So Trump probably won't rage like he would have had it been a minority. 

Reading that the security detail person who took down the shooter had been shot himself. What a hero.

Hoping for the best possible outcome for the victims and their families.

One of the core ideas of having a truly democratic nation is that we can handle things through words rather than violence, even in the tougher times.  I hope this is an isolated incident.

It sounds like no one died, which is good, thank goodness.  Hoping everyone makes a speedy recovery.

Suspect apparently in custody, though some other reports had him dead.  Assuming he's alive, we'll be able to get some answers as to why.

As far as I've heard, we don't know yet that they were targeted because they were politicos, correct? 

Edit: Didn't see Leesburg's post above before this post...

10 minutes ago, Bang said:

ah, ****.

I sincerely hope the President can say something to try to calm things down. This is entirely too much.

Come on, Mr. President. Lead in crisis.

~Bang

I honestly expect that whatever he says will inflame rather than calm the situation.

9 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Armed to the teeth, firing shots, taken alive

Interesting

Some reports say he was shot and killed..

EDIT: Multiple news outlets quote police as saying suspect is in custody.

Fox News reports that Texas Rep. Roger Williams was also shot and wounded.  They report that the gunman was shot and wounded and taken into custody.

EDIT:  Williams released a statement that he was NOT shot, but that a staffer was.

Alexandria Police Chief Michael Brown talking to reporters. Alexandria Police arrived within 3 minutes of initial call.  Capitol Police were on scene at the time. Five people transported medically from the scene.  Not giving anymore information at this time.

Adam Larosa, Capitol Police chief.  Officers exchanged gunfire with the suspect. 

11 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Some reports say that had the Majority Whip not been present, there would have been no Capital Police present, and many Republican politicians would be dead. There would have been no armed security to return fire.

That seems crazy to me.  I would think any gathering of  more than a few congresspeople would have a security guy standing around. 

44 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Armed to the teeth, firing shots, taken alive

Interesting

Just for arguments sake the guy that stopped him was Black and had already been shot by him. I figure he shot to kill and its just harder than it sounds. 

I do wonder if Republicans will start to consider gun control now that they too can be targets and not just their constituents. 

4 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

I'm sorry, it was a Republican baseball practice. Pretty sure the shooter wasn't attacking random citizens...

He knew it too. He spoke with some of them before practice. Quoting witnesses. 

Archived