Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BREAKING: House Majority Whip Steve Scalise and aides shot in Alexandria park

Popeman38

"The Vice President and I are aware of the shooting incident in Virginia and are monitoring developments closely," President Trump said in a statement. "We are deeply saddened by this tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with the members of Congress, their staffs, Capitol Police, first responders, and all others affected."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/steve-scalise-roger-williams-shot-in-virginia-aides-also-hit/ar-BBCFakV?OCID=ansmsnnews11

One big picture result of this attack is I think congressmen are going to become far less accessible to the public.  Let's say this guy was a deranged liberal who was motivated by partisan politics.  Then in addition to committing a heinous act of violence against Republicans, he's screwed over Democrats because he's going to galvanize/martyr the opposition, cause reprisal attacks against Democrats, and shut down avenues of communication with congressmen which are some of the few ways ordinary joes can have their voices heard by their congressmen and try and influence the policy makers (town halls and such).

I'm hoping it was just a crazy person with a gun situation like the Gabby Giffords attack.  This country has come a long way since the 60's.  It would be a disaster to back slide to a time of politically motivated assassinations.

8 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

If this President, of all people, can issue a statement to hold tight until we know more, we all should too.

True, though I am about 101% certain that he didn't write that. His tweets and live statements (if there are any) over the next 24 hours will tell us what is truly going on in his head.

Anyway, glad nobody was killed. My friend in Alexandria texted me saying it happened about 4 blocks from her place. Crazy.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

One big picture result of this attack is I think congressmen are going to become far less accessible to the public.  Let's say this guy was a deranged liberal who was motivated by partisan politics.  Then in addition to committing a heinous act of violence against Republicans, he's screwed over Democrats because he's going to galvanize/martyr the opposition, cause reprisal attacks against Democrats, and shut down avenues of communication with congressmen which are some of the few ways ordinary joes can have their voices heard by their congressmen and try and influence the policy makers (town halls and such).

I'm hoping it was just a crazy person with a gun situation like the Gabby Giffords attack.  This country has come a long way since the 60's.  It would be a disaster to back slide to a time of politically motivated assassinations.

Not to turn this into an extended conversation on governing, but that seems to me to be the ultimate chink in the armor when a nation of states increasingly gives more and more power and dependence on federal/central government. It becomes so big and such a diversity of people and beliefs, it becomes almost impossible to represent the people. It seems to me the Founders foresaw this in the way (debatable I know) they framed the Constitution to limit the federal government.

1 minute ago, Zguy28 said:

Not to turn this into an extended conversation on governing, but that seems to me to be the ultimate chink in the armor when a nation of states increasingly gives more and more power and dependence on federal/central government. It becomes so big and such a diversity of people and beliefs, it becomes almost impossible to represent the people. It seems to me the Founders foresaw this in the way (debatable I know) they framed the Constitution to limit the federal government.

Thats what they refer to as the American Experiment bro. We haven't perfected this yet at all but the moment we do (and eventually we will) we will be able to lead the world into prosperity. We just have to get through the rough parts. 

42 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

I'm sorry, it was a Republican baseball practice. Pretty sure the shooter wasn't attacking random citizens...

But that doesn't mean he was only gonna shoot Republicans.  He could hate the government in general and Republicans were the ones that were just unlucky.  

We have no idea if they had been democrats if he'd have not bothered or done the same thing.

33 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

If this President, of all people, can issue a statement to hold tight until we know more, we all should too.

In tragedy or emergency there is opportunity.

I sincerely hope he can use it to unite, calm, and lead.

I am afraid he will throw gas on the fire, but I am hoping otherwise. His first comment is the sort of thing a leader does. Hope he recognizes the gravity of the situation, and how it could potentially get out of hand based on what he says or does.

~Bang

1 hour ago, LeesburgSkinFan said:

Rebecca BergVerified account @rebeccagberg 4m4 minutes ago

Replying to @rebeccagberg

The man was wearing running clothes, asked Duncan: "Are those Republicans or Democrats out there practicing?" Per source familiar.

I'm the furthest thing from a conspiratard nut but this is a bit too convenient for my tastes. Life can be a trip though so we'll see

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

But that doesn't mean he was only gonna shoot Republicans.  He could hate the government in general and Republicans were the ones that were just unlucky.  

We have no idea if they had been democrats if he'd have not bothered or done the same thing.

Seems like its too early to tell either way. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

If he doesn't some on his team will. Like his children. 

Already are.

This is how bull**** conspiracies get started. If it turns out that the person who asked who was practicing was not the shooter, it won't make a difference. 

The conspiracy blogosphere always runs wild with inaccuracies in initial media reports. Good thing they have Don Jr. and Kellyanne for back up now.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Cause Republicans are just more loathsome these days?  At least the Democrats are shining examples of how to lead and act.

No, because i think if it is true that he asked a bystander if they were republicans or democrats, , he could have just as easily asked, oh, where are the democrats? if that was who he was after.
I think he knew they were there. Its only a once a year ball game, and they were there practicing. I don't think it's a random "I'm just gonna go shoot people in the park" guy. I think he has political motivations, and I hope they're all his own.

I think he's a loon who got a squirrel in his head and went to kill his perceived political enemies. 

The good news is it seems there isn't anything else going on around the country as in a coordinated attack. i think he's a lone nutter, and I think he went after republicans.

~Bang

Just now, Bang said:

No, because i think if it is true that he asked a bystander if they were republicans or democrats, , he could have just as easily asked, oh, where are the democrats? if that was who he was after.
I think he knew they were there. Its only a once a year ball game, and they were there practicing. I don't think it's a random "I'm just gonna go shoot people in the park" guy. I think he has political motivations, and I hope they're all his own.

I think he's a loon who got a squirrel in his head and went to kill his perceived political enemies. 

The good news is it seems there isn't anything else going on around the country as in a coordinated attack. i think he's a lone nutter, and I think he went after republicans.

~Bang

I'm trying to be more covert at my workplace right now and ACTUALLY try to look like I'm being productive...so him saying that is confirmed, right?  I thought I briefly saw somewhere else that he just asked if they were politicians in general.

Archived