Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BREAKING: House Majority Whip Steve Scalise and aides shot in Alexandria park

Popeman38

25 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Wait a minute now aren't you one of the posters that wish at least one of the political opposition was dead or would die? That has been my problem with this board since the election too many have been mouthing these kind of sentiments here. I dislike Hannity too but don't wish him dead - when you did and I called you on it I'd say over half the posters in tailgate came to your defense and/or agreed with you.

I may be a never Trumper but I find his resistance opposition more loathsome than him. (edited to add the resistance adjective)

Oh no doubt about that.

Fair criticism, but i do think the world would be better off without some people.Sean Hannity can fall off a cliff in a truck with Alex Jones and it'd suit me.

Doesn't mean i'll act on it, or incite others to do it. 

Just a sentiment. there are definitely people that can make the world a safer place by exiting it. 

Some folks depravity is obvious, as is the damage they do.

But, politicians, not so much. Like them or not, they are elected, including President Trump. And that stands for me higher than a scumbag propagandist spewing anger and hate on television.

Now, if any one of those people who agreed with me had stated they would DO something.. i'd have quickly explained the difference and hoped they would not act on it.

Wishing someone dead does nothing. I can't "wish" anything into being just by thinking about it.

You do have a solid point. I will keep it in mind. 

~Bang

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

His musical likes on Facebook are Charlie Pride, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, and Johnny Mathis.

In other words, don't worry, he's ****ing crazy.

Next one will be ****ing crazy, too.  I don't remember there being a run on violence against politicians after Gabby Gifford, so hoping for the same here.

5 minutes ago, visionary said:

Remind me who on here said we should go shoot up some Republicans at a baseball game.

Now you are just deflecting - If you read my earlier post you know exactly what I was referencing. There are posters here that wish/want the opposition dead - they didn't get specific on how that was accomplished.

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Ah yes. Criticizing a piece of **** political movement led to this incident. 

He has a point, and as i think more on it, I can see the difference between expressing such a thought as he called me on and someone going out and acting on it. One and the other can go hand in hand. 
THIS isn't on me, but I can see how some things I may have said in that vein can affect the discourse here among our community, and reflect the attitudes that can cause a person to do this.

As i said yesterday, i learn here. Nonniey is a man I've had respect for on this board for a long time. It is on me to consider what he's saying, and I think he has a valid point.

~Bang

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Quote it. 

no need, i'll admit to it. Many times over. I don't think i've said so about politicians,, most of my ire here over the years has been directed at a divisive and irresponsible propaganda machine.

~Bang

Resistance doesn't mean violent resistance. It means calling Congresspeople, voting out Republicans, organizing against Republicans enacting laws against humans. 

The guy has been here two months, obviously planning and looking for an opportunity. Not necessarily mentally ill unless there's a history we don't know yet

I'm waiting for more information.

Just now, nonniey said:

Now you are just deflecting - If you read my earlier post you know exactly what I was referencing. There are posters here that wish/want the opposition dead - they didn't get specific on how that was accomplished.

How many people on here have come into a thread about some lowlife and talked about what they thought should happen to that person or how the world would be better off without them?  I'm guessing a lot, for a long time.

2 minutes ago, Bang said:

no need, i'll admit to it. Many times over. I don't think i've said so about politicians,, most of my ire here over the years has been directed at a divisive and irresponsible propaganda machine.

~Bang

Fair enough. I edited it out to avoid more nastiness.

5 minutes ago, Bang said:

He has a point, and as i think more on it, I can see the difference between expressing such a thought as he called me on and someone going out and acting on it. One and the other can go hand in hand. 
THIS isn't on me, but I can see how some things I may have said in that vein can affect the discourse here among our community, and reflect the attitudes that can cause a person to do this.

As i said yesterday, i learn here. Nonniey is a man I've had respect for on this board for a long time. It is on me to consider what he's saying, and I think he has a valid point.

~Bang

Bang

I must concede that was very a unexpected response as it seems like most posters here have really hardened in their positions with absolutely no give. Welcome back.

So, Democrats, I have a question. Is it better if the shooter is mentally ill or not, all things considered? If he is, it allows the situation to de-escalate some (hopefully no reprisals), but it could feed the 2nd Amendment folks arguments about focusing more on mental health instead of gun banning. Hopefully I am framing this question sensibly.

7 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

it could feed the 2nd Amendment folks arguments about focusing more on mental health instead of gun banning.

What is the general proposal by people advocating this?  I think most people are open to doing more on mental health, but wanting to do more is different than coming up with a solution or agreeing to one.

So in the last year we have elected a guy as President that advocated attacking protesters and taking them out on stretchers, had a dude get elected the day AFTER he chocked and body slammed a reporter, and now a guy who shoots a bunch of congress officials. 

I hate to say it but if I was a member of the media or a reporter I would have my head on a swivel for a while. 

7 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

So, Democrats, I have a question. Is it better if the shooter is mentally ill or not, all things considered? If he is, it allows the situation to de-escalate some (hopefully no reprisals), but it could feed the 2nd Amendment folks arguments about focusing more on mental health instead of gun banning. Hopefully I am framing this question sensibly.

I have advocated for opening up HIPAA to disclose those with mental health issues who have threatened violence to themselves and others, a mental health watch list if you will. I also support gun ownership bans on those on the no fly list. I also advocate background checks on second hand guns sales that they have to go through an FFL who would process the checks just like purchasing a new gun. 

These are reasonable controls and don't interfere with with the Second Amendment. But the NRA, which is a big supporter of gun manufacturers (corporate profits) is against any kind of controls that are responsible and make sense. 

Chances the media treats this shooting like it was an isolated deranged idiotic individual instead of part of a "bigger political movement....yadda yadda yadda"

I am staying away from TV media for a couple days because I pretty much already know the script and chances are this is just going to be used to ramp the rhetoric up even more, whipping people into an even bigger frenzy.

Reading through this thread, I think all of us, on all sides of the political spectrum, are doing a better job at civil discourse in reaction to this event than any of the cable news media will.

Archived