Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

6 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Sorry, but this is a tweet story worth sharing.

I do wonder how to combat cynicism in some of my friends. I mean Trump helped for some. But just the fact that he was allowed to exist made a few even more cynical. It’s a shame too cause some of the smartest brothas I know fall into that. And they are not emotionally developed enough to be able to admit that to themselves so I can’t help them out of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Republican response to the Mar-a-Lago raid should scare you

After news of the FBI raid on Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home broke on Monday night, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy responded by openly threatening Attorney General Merrick Garland.

“The Department of Justice has reached an intolerable state of weaponized politicization,” he said in a statement. “Attorney General Garland, preserve your documents and clear your calendar.”

Think about this for a second. Here you have the likely next speaker of the House claiming without the tiniest shred of evidence that the Justice Department is persecuting a former president — and vowing to use his authority to punish them as a result. His response to his baseless claim of the politicization of investigative powers is to promise a politicized investigation of his own.

McCarthy was far from alone. Trump, who confirmed the raid in a lengthy statement, called it “an attack by the Radical Left Democrats who desperately don’t want me to run for President in 2024” — an allegation that set the tone for much of the party in the wake of the dramatic FBI operation.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, the leading non-Trump candidate in the 2024 GOP primary race, called the raid “another escalation in the weaponization of federal agencies against the Regime’s political opponents.” Sen. Rick Scott (FL), head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, called it “3rd World country stuff.” Rep. Elise Stefanik (NY), the third-ranking House Republican, called for “an immediate investigation and accountability into Joe Biden and his administration’s weaponizing this [Justice] department against their political opponents.”

Click on the link for the full story

• Like 1

Michael Steele: Republicans should ‘try to be less stupid’ in wake of Mar-a-Lago raid

Former Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele defended the FBI’s search of former President Trump’s home in a Monday tweet, arguing it was not a random move.

“Trump failed to return classified docs requested by the National Archives,” Steele wrote in response to a tweet by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.).

“A federal judge issued a search warrant for probable cause of a crime. This is not some rando move by the FBI so you ****forbrains Republicans calling for ‘defunding the FBI’ for once try to be less stupid,” Steele wrote.

Click on the link for the full article

I just want to tell a quick story of something I saw yesterday:

I do construction, I was working in a commercial building yesterday and this dude was working there decked out in maga gear. He had on a "Trump 2024" hat and rocking a shirt like this, we gave each other some weird looks.

bdog.jpg

Fwiw I doubt both could ever be impeached AND removed (conviction) at the same time anyways. Which means a VP would be named as a replacement and the Speaker would stay Speaker. 

Good luck getting 2/3 of the Senate to support conviction of anyone in any party right now. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Fwiw I doubt both could ever be impeached AND removed (conviction) at the same time anyways. Which means a VP would be named as a replacement and the Speaker would stay Speaker. 

Yeah, I tried pointing that out to the folks who kept floating the Senate impeaching both Trump and Pence, and making Pelosi President.  

Odds of Skippy the Turtle and the GOP voting 2/3 to remove both Trump and Pence without confirming a Veep first . . . ?  

Aug 10 (Reuters) - Florida's governor wants pension plans in conservative U.S. states to band together to fight shareholder initiatives on issues like climate change and diversity, but the idea may prove hard to pull off.

The call by Ron DeSantis last month opened a new front in Republican efforts to push back against activist-led environmental, social and governance -- or ESG -- initiatives at corporate shareholder meetings. read more

With assets of over $5.7 trillion under management, U.S. state and local defined-benefit pension plans are a powerful shareholder force that can help activists pass or defeat ESG issues on corporate ballots by declaring how they will vote and giving momentum to reform efforts, or slowing them.

But getting them to vote together as a bloc -- as DeSantis wants -- will be tricky, given Republican-controlled state retirement systems have voted differently on the same issue and have oversight structures that complicate efforts to influence their voting. The public funds also are rarely the biggest investors in U.S. companies, limiting their influence.

"It's a shrewd political move to appeal to people who don't like woke capitalism, but are they going to develop this huge voting bloc? No," said Con Hitch****, a Washington D.C. attorney who advises pension funds.

DeSantis, a Republican who has been courting conservatives as part of an expected presidential bid in 2024, suggested the pension system in his state of Florida work together with those in other Republican-controlled states like Texas.

"What we need to do is get other like-minded states to have all of our retirement systems' voting rights used as a bloc," DeSantis said at a July 27 news conference.

"We could be a real check against a lot of the excesses that we’ve seen and probably have enough resources to beat back a lot of this stuff."

His office has said he plans to introduce legislation to counter ESG factors in investing. But it has not offered details on how that might affect proxy votes, the process by which investors cast ballots on items like electing directors, executive compensation and shareholder proposals at annual meetings.

More at the link:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/florida-governors-bid-conservative-pension-bloc-faces-hurdles-2022-08-10/

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

I just want to tell a quick story of something I saw yesterday:

I do construction, I was working in a commercial building yesterday and this dude was working there decked out in maga gear. He had on a "Trump 2024" hat and rocking a shirt like this, we gave each other some weird looks.

bdog.jpg

I have to drive by a house a few miles from my own on the daily with a 'F Biden' flag proudly waving from the front porch.  It hangs right next to a Trump 2024 flag.  On the porch sits a hillbilly, and his 2 daughters - who probably benefit from liberal programs.

I was talking to my wife the other night about how pre-social media days, if I knew people that were political - they primarily kept it to themselves as I don't recall much talk about it at all.  Ever since the social media boom, everyone is a political, economic, medical and constitutional savant that knows everything about everything and it breeds this crap.  I loathed Trump, but I can't imagine ever purchasing anything to advertise that opinion.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1