Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Extremism- Actually helps on the house levels, or else nuts like MTG wouldn't get elected. Extremism hurts at the Senate and Governor level.

Bad candidates - A bad candidate could still win the house seat but definitely hurts then at Senate/Governor level.

Abortion/SC - I would be shocked if this impacted  the election that's 3 months away. Not enough people would be negatively impacted to make a difference in 22. 2024, is when I expect this to be factor.

Economy - This is the number one issue, especially when things are bad. Inflation will be the main decided this fall. If tommorow's GDP report says, we are in in a recession; that's it for the Dems in the house and it could cost them the Senate, despite the bad candidates.

Trump - Think he doesn't change the house dynamic but hurts senate/Governor 

My guess is:

House is gone. The GOP will win anywhere from 5 to 50 seats.

Senate the Dems will either stay at 50-50 or win up to 3 seats.

For those thinking abortion will b as factor, if you don't change state legislatures; you aren't changing things. To stop things at state level, need to change  state government. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Extremism- Actually helps on the house levels, or else nuts like MTG wouldn't get elected. Extremism hurts at the Senate and Governor level.

Bad candidates - A bad candidate could still win the house seat but definitely hurts then at Senate/Governor level.

Abortion/SC - I would be shocked if this impacted  the election that's 3 months away. Not enough people would be negatively impacted to make a difference in 22. 2024, is when I expect this to be factor.

Economy - This is the number one issue, especially when things are bad. Inflation will be the main decided this fall. If tommorow's GDP report says, we are in in a recession; that's it for the Dems in the house and it could cost them the Senate, despite the bad candidates.

Trump - Think he doesn't change the house dynamic but hurts senate/Governor 

My guess is:

House is gone. The GOP will win anywhere from 5 to 50 seats.

Senate the Dems will either stay at 50-50 or win up to 3 seats.

For those thinking abortion will b as factor, if you don't change state legislatures; you aren't changing things. To stop things at state level, need to change  state government. 

Regarding abortion, I don’t think it’s about who is “negatively impacted”.

Generally agree with your other points, though I have to say, your Senate guess totally shocked me - you broke character there big time, lol.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Regarding abortion, I don’t think it’s about who is “negatively impacted”.

Generally agree with your other points, though I have to say, your Senate guess totally shocked me - you broke character there big time, lol.

GA,PA,OH is where the gop nominated bad candidates; so it’s helping the Dems. Better candidates and the gop wins all 3. Now they likely lose 2,maybe all 3.

3 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The problem is that the Roberts Court gave a green light to partisan gerrymandering to the point that a minority vote in a state can win a super majority in a state house. It's going to take decades of keeping the White House to undo that massive mistake by SCOTUS. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

The problem is that the Roberts Court gave a green light to partisan gerrymandering to the point that a minority vote in a state can win a super majority in a state house. It's going to take decades of keeping the White House to undo that massive mistake by SCOTUS. 

You have to do both but it’s all these state laws that making things worse. Somehow have to overcome partisan gerrymandering at state level. It’s going take a generation to change the sc and probably longer.

Odds are strong the gop retakes the presidency in 24; which will make things harder.

On 7/25/2022 at 10:12 PM, Cooked Crack said:

On 7/26/2022 at 12:30 AM, China said:

I'm surprised his gay son invited him...or didn't kick him out.

family is family... and if you know (and actually like) an individual, you give them slack you wouldn't give other people--- deserved or not.

Dick and Liz Cheney both campaigned/voted/railed against same sex weddings and rights even though Mary (Liz's sister had been out since the 80s, and they were all very close to each other, and Mary's partner).   

Mary stuck by them.

Once Dick Cheney was out of office (and no longer needed to campaign), he had a "revelation" and quietly accepted gay marriage.  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/liz-cheney-wrong-opposing-gay-marriage-past-80250287 

Once the "conservatives" turned on Liz Cheney (if "conservative" is what you can call the trumpist sacs of steaming **** that the GOP has become?), she had a revelation about gay marriage as well....

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/liz-cheney-wrong-opposing-gay-marriage-past-80250287

politicians posture on a bunch of issues for which they might not actually have strong support ... republicans more so (the party of "litmus tests")

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

family is family... and if you know (and actually like) an individual, you give them slack you wouldn't give other people--- deserved or not.

My oldest and still best friend, said once to me, that "yeah, but you deserve it" when we were having a discussion about people milking the system.  I'm retired early on disability from MS.  

• Like 1

The subject:  The House Armed Services Committee just attached language to the DOD's next budget, telling them to stop looking for extremist elements currently serving in the US military. 

Because every single Republican on the committee, and the one independent, voted to insert it. 

• Thanks 1

New benefits for burn pit victims in limbo after Senate Republicans block plan

The Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics Act — better known as the PACT Act — had been up for a procedural vote in the chamber with an expectation of final passage before the end of the week.

The measure is the culmination of years of work by advocates to improve health care and benefits for veterans suffering injuries from burn pit smoke, Agent Orange spraying and other military contaminant exposure. It has been widely celebrated as a potential landmark legislative victory in veterans policy.

The measure passed the Senate by a comfortable 84-14 vote in early June, and by a 342-88 vote in the House two weeks ago with significant Republican support.

But on Wednesday, after technical corrections sent the measure back to the Senate for another procedural vote, 41 Senate Republicans blocked the measure, leaving its future uncertain.

Republican lawmakers who had previously voted against the measure, including Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., reiterated objections to how the money connected to the measure (about $300 billion over 10 years) would be accounted for in the regular appropriations process.

But the block came just as Democratic leaders announced plans for a comprehensive budget reconciliation measure — a plan that the GOP caucus previously pledged to oppose, including increased efforts to snarl normal business in the chamber.

Democratic leaders immediately attacked their colleagues putting political vendettas ahead of needed veterans benefits.

“This eleventh-hour act of cowardice will actively harm this country’s veterans and their families,” said Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee Chairman Jon Tester, D-Mont. “Republicans chose today to rob generations of toxic-exposed veterans across this country of the health care and benefits they so desperately need.

“And make no mistake, more veterans will suffer and die as a result.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

On 7/24/2022 at 11:43 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Teen bullied by Matt Gaetz raises over $200,000 for abortion rights funds

A Texas teenager has raised more than $200,000 for abortion rights funds, after being bullied online by the Florida Republican congressman Matt Gaetz.

Olivia Julianna, 19, said that by Wednesday she had raised $214,000 for abortion funds, a sum she credited to Gaetz bringing attention to her platform via his insults.

“Matt Gaetz decided to body shame me publicly,” the abortion rights activist tweeted on Tuesday. “So I started fundraising for abortion funds and in a little over 24 hours we raised $115K. So let me have one final moment of telling [Gaetz] not to **** with Texas activist[s], and definitely not to **** with Gen-Z.”

On Wednesday, Julianna tweeted that the campaign had raised nearly double its Tuesday total.

She told the Guardian: “Originally I wanted to raise a few thousand dollars. I had no idea it would blow up as much as it has.”

The US supreme court overturned the right to an abortion last month, stoking protests across the country.

Last Saturday, at a Turning Point USA convention in Florida, Gaetz insulted abortion rights activists, telling a crowd of students pro-choice campaigners were “odious from the inside out” and “disgusting”.

Julianna criticized the comments on Twitter, referencing allegations of sex trafficking a minor for which Gaetz is under investigation. He emphatically denies wrongdoing.

“Its come to my attention that Matt Gaetz … has said that it’s always the ‘odious 5’2 350 pound’ women that ‘nobody wants to impregnate’ who rally for abortion,” Julianna wrote. “I’m actually 5’11. 6’4 in heels. I wear them so the small men like you are reminded of your place.”

Gaetz then tweeted out a picture of Julianna alongside an article covering his comments, an insult retweeted hundreds of times.

Of Gaetz’s tweet, Julianna said: “I was shocked. I was truly shocked that he would do something so absolutely stupid.”

In response to the congressman’s comments and the online harassment they stoked, Julianna announced on Monday that she would raise money for abortion funds on behalf of the organization Gen Z for Change.

She said she was motivated to begin her fundraiser because “Matt Gaetz is a creep and abortion is healthcare. Simple as that”.

In a thank you note to Gaetz on Twitter, the teen wrote, in part: “Your hateful comments towards me will quite literally help pay for abortion services. Lol. Get rekt.”

Click on the link for more

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

30 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

She is a special kind of fraud. 

I'd honestly have a tough time if someone asked me who I disliked more: someone like Susan Collins or a full on Trumper like Jordan or MTG. People like Jordan and MGT are awful, stupid, and ignorant...but at least they don't hide it. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, mistertim said:

I'd honestly have a tough time if someone asked me who I disliked more: someone like Susan Collins or a full on Trumper like Jordan or MTG. People like Jordan and MGT are awful, stupid, and ignorant...but at least they don't hide it. 

I think that's fair. One group are like cartoon villains while she continues to pretend to be this pragmatic solutions focused legislator. Both suck. 

• Like 2