Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Trumpy Madison Cawthorn Tries to Tweet Past His GOP Challengers

In August, as Tropical Storm Fred unleashed record flooding across his western North Carolina district, 26-year-old freshman Rep. Madison Cawthorn was doing what he does best: posting.

Cawthorn’s presence on the MAGA-iest corners of social media is so prolific that it wasn’t until a few days after the storm—after he had criticized President Joe Biden over the withdrawal from Afghanistan, called the Democratic governor of his state a “tyrant,” warned his followers about “authoritarian school boards,” and crowed that he would “rather be hated by the mainstream media and the D.C. swamp if that means I’m loved by the patriotic Americans across the country”—that Cawthorn began to communicate about the flooding and mudslides.

And when Cawthorn finally did get around to tweeting about the storm and its damage, he chose to retweet some general government guidance about cleanup and to post pictures of himself handing out meals to first responders and speaking with constituents.

Faced with criticism that he and his office were slow to respond to the natural disaster, Cawthorn bristled. He wrote in an op-ed that “partisan attacks during moments of life and death have no place in our political discourse.” And then three days later, after 13 U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan, he tweeted that Biden was a “mentally unstable individual” and urged his Cabinet to remove him.

It’s these sorts of antics—deeply popular with adoring Trump fans and deeply unproductive for a legislator—that have produced four Republican challengers against Cawthorn. And it’s why Eric Batchelor, a retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel and current sheriff’s deputy, seems to have based his campaign on a simple message.

“Being a representative is about being a representative to this district,” Batchelor said in an interview with The Daily Beast. “It’s not about flying around this country raising national campaign dollars and searching for the next photo op. It’s about being here in this district.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Reading online (Twitter) a bunch of rightwingers demanding that Milley not only be tried for treason for talking to China and trying to prevent a nuclear war, but demanding his execution.

While it's an absolutely stupid positon to take both on the surface and beneath the surface, academically it's an interesting abstract argument in that he did jump the chain of command by doing this and probably went further than he is supposed to in talking to foreign leaders. On the other hand, he is sworn to protect the Constitution and the Republicans in Congress showed no willingness to exercise their duty to check the Executive Branch no matter how insane it has become.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Honest question because I made a comment during an argument and I’m curious if I am wrong. 

is there any class of people the typical republican voter doesn’t hate/fear, that isn’t them? 

meaning: I’m a white male, in my 30’s, and while I guess I’m turning more liberal every day (due to lack of other option) I don’t actually have a party I cheer for. 

yet I’m not afraid of nor do I hate (and not only can I say this but I think the things I do/don’t support, and how I justify those positions, back that up):

academics, immigrants, blacks, Latinos, Muslims, gay people. 

just to name a few off the top of my head. 

what’s a group of people the republicans don’t fear/hate, where “conservative” or Christian/catholic isn’t applicable, that isn’t like them? A group they like that actually stands a strong chance of not agreeing with on some political issue, in some way.

I couldn’t think of any….

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Honest question because I made a comment during an argument and I’m curious if I am wrong. 

is there any class of people the typical republican voter doesn’t hate/fear, that isn’t them? 

meaning: I’m a white male, in my 30’s, and while I guess I’m turning more liberal every day (due to lack of other option) I don’t actually have a party I cheer for. 

yet I’m not afraid of nor do I hate (and not only can I say this but I think the things I do/don’t support, and how I justify those positions, back that up):

what’s a group of people the republicans don’t fear/hate, where “conservative” or Christian/catholic isn’t applicable, that isn’t like them? A group they like that actually stands a strong chance of not agreeing with on some political issue, in some way.

Don't be short-sighted

They hate themselves too

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

I don't think this answers your question, but it's the best I have at the top of my head.

The Republicans, the elected ones anyway, don't have a plan and the ideas they have are actually really unpopular (if you believe polls) so all they really have is hating the other. So, that's become the official platform of conservatives. We hate anyone who isn't us. Anyone who isn't us can go to hell.

Now, I think this stems from cynicism more than racism, but I also think that doesn't matter. If you aren't racisit, but push a racist agenda, and an agenda based on hating/dividing others based on race, sexuality, religion, etc. Then, you are what you preach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Now, I think this stems from cynicism more than racism, but I also think that doesn't matter.

Yeah. And what you’re saying was the heart of my argument 

“haven’t you realized they hate/fear anything/anyone that isn’t like them? Don’t you find that odd? Doesn’t that make you wonder why?”

which in typical debating-with-a-Republican style, lead to me trying to explain that no, not everyone acts this way, it’s really just you guys…

I mean these people are so detached from reality i can’t even talk to them. 

I had an argument with one the other week where they rejected the idea that the unvaccinated skewed heavily toward conservatives/trump supporters

i pulled up maps of statistics 

he was like “yeah you just love your statistics”

And I was like: …………..

like… I mean…. What the **** are you supposed to say to that. 

yeah - absent a better system for understanding data, statistics seems pretty solid. 

what are you into these days? That whole making-****-up way of forming opinions and arguments? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, tshile said:

They (most of them) seem to have decided that Jews are almost white.  

Or at least Israel.  I'm not sure the two are interchangeable.  

• Like 3

Looks like my state held it down in the face of this bull**** Republican recall. Not even going to be close. 

Huge waste of time and money but I'm relieved. The Trumper meltdowns are already beginning. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

They (most of them) seem to have decided that Jews are almost white.  

Or at least Israel.  I'm not sure the two are interchangeable.  

Yeah On reflection I’m struggling with Jews and cuban-Americans 

my issue with Jews is I feel like it’s just because of the donation money… like if it stopped I’m pretty sure they’ll go against the Jews. Also considering the neo-nazi, nationalist, white supremacy, and hitler adoration that seems to be growing within the right, I feel weird saying “yeah man they actually like the Jews”….

My issue with Cuban-Americans is that they are loudly anti-Cuba, pro-life, and catholic. I’m just not sure if that qualifies. 

im really looking for a group that doesn’t align with them politically, that their response isn’t to just fearmonger about them. I’m not sure either qualifies. 

For instance, prior to trump (and yeah it matters cause for a lot of us our utter hatred for the gop right now revolves around this whole trump thing…), I don’t feel like this was a thing with democrats. 

they had their extreme element that would hold signs saying bush is hitler, and abortion has always attracted such extremes that they play that game of ‘everyone not explicitly in agreement with me is an enemy of humanity’ a lot… but, it never felt like the overwhelming theme, ok every single issue was, was (basically solely) “they are going to take your country from you” 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

my issue with Jews is I feel like it’s just because of the donation money… like if it stopped I’m pretty sure they’ll go against the Jews. Also considering the neo-nazi, nationalist, white supremacy, and hitler adoration that seems to be growing within the right, I feel weird saying “yeah man they actually like the Jews”….

I confess, I find myself coming up with different possible motives for the GOP attitude towards Israel.  Particularly as done under Trump.  

Granted, all the possible motives I see, are evil.  

I wonder if they've decided to be ultra-Israeli, because they figure it will get them the Jewish vote.  

I wonder if they do so because they figure that promoting Israel is the best way to get a war in the Middle East.  (I suspect that they're right, if that's their reasoning.)  

I wonder if maybe it's just a "let's kill lots of Muslims".  

Evangelicals are pro-Israel because they believe the 2nd coming of Jesus will come after the Temple is rebuilt in Jerusalem, but that can't happen currently given that the (believed) site for the Temple is also a Muslim holy site and the site of a famous Mosque.

Evangelical support of Israel then is centered around creating a more secure Israel and silencing Muslim voices in and around Israel so that Jewish leaders in Israel will feel secure enough to tear down the Mosque currently on the site and rebuild the Temple.

(So that Jesus can come again.)

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09546550109609667?journalCode=ftpv20

https://www.timesofisrael.com/zehuts-feiglin-says-he-wants-to-build-third-temple-right-away/

For the evangelicals, support of Israel and conservative Jews is a means to an end (to hurry the 2nd coming of Jesus). 

Then GOP support follows the Evangelical support.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 2