Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

3 minutes ago, superozman said:

You can do a quick google search on all the outlets that have referred to it, going back to Obama era, through even recently where Democrats state that diversity will help Democrats in elections.  

Right, because saying that a having a more diverse population is a good thing and may help you win elections because you're inclusive and telling white people to vote for you because liberals are trying to replace whites with non-whites is totally the same thing.

One of those things has its roots in being an inclusive society that accepts all people and the other has its roots in the fear mongering of racist white people who are terrified of losing their status as the dominant class to those they view as inherently inferior.

Hint: Tucker is only parroting one of those positions. And seriously, if you take one of Tucker's "replacement" monologues and add in a couple of slurs there's basically no way you could tell the difference between it and most other racist "great replacement" diatribes on white nationalist and neo-nazi websites. It's basically word for word.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

This is how I view the whole secession thing, too.

"WE WANT TO SECEDE!"

Please, do so. In fact, I'll help you move. Every time one of those right win politicians bring up some red state seceding, the Dems in the House should immediately draft a resolution that explicitly allows it. Force them to put up or shut up. 

im willing to let them secede if they’ll take the crazies out of the other states with them. 

Don’t sell your bargaining power short. Try to get more out of it than they’re offering. 

In fact. We’ll trade them the white trash from the other states for the illegals in their state

ill make that trade every day of the week. 

3 hours ago, Bang said:

Given the usual condition of the states who'd jump at it, as soon as most of them realize their medicare, social security, welfare, and other aid is instantly cut off, what do you want to bet they'd start sneaking across the border?

~Bang

We’ll build a wall 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superozman said:

I'm no fan of Tucker - but to my knowledge what is going on (and what the media/dem side is doing) is conflating great replacement theory with those talking about the political shift, and political leanings of when people enter the country.  Both Dems and Rs have talked about that for decades, but what I see is the media having an opportunity to conflate that with the great replacement theory, and now everyone believes it.  

no no no. You are not getting off that easy. 

no, democrats have not (to my knowledge, correct me if I’m wrong) talked about “replacing” white voters. They’ve talked about how over time they will become a lesser % of the population, because the other groups are growing faster. That’s not “replacing” anyone, it’s watching a pie get bigger and different sections grow at different rates. 

only the republicans have talked about “replacement”. And there’s a reason they use that word. Because it implies TAKING something from white peoples and giving it to someone else. It implies GETTING RID OF white people, and REPLACING them with someone else. 

and the reason is obvious. Because it invites anger. Anger that goes well beyond political shifts. 

and it allows them to incite that anger, while claiming they’re just talking about the demo shifts we’ve all been talking about for multiple decades now. 

And it goes along with EVERYTHING ELSE they do to fan the flames of culture war. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, superozman said:

but what I see is the media having an opportunity to conflate that with the great replacement theory, and now everyone believes it.  

If my thoughts are right, whenever you hear someone state (lets say Tucker) something to the effect of "Biden's open border policy will have a direct effect in Democrats having a chance at the polls this November", are you calling that grt?

Ok, define Critical Race Theory.

• Confused 1

Took him long enough...

‘I’m Done’: Former Trump Official Quits Republican Party, Burns The GOP On His Way Out

Miles Taylor, a former Trump administration official who served as Homeland Security deputy chief of staff and then chief of staff from 2017 to 2019, has announced that he’s leaving the Republican party, saying that the GOP is now a threat to the country.

“I no longer believe the Republican Party can be saved,” he wrote on Twitter. “The vitriolic rhetoric is inspiring violent radicals. I’m quitting the GOP. And I hope more do the same.

In his tweet, Taylor linked to an editorial he wrote for NBC News saying:

“In the wake of the mass shooting in Buffalo on Saturday, it’s become glaringly obvious that my party no longer represents conservative values but in fact poses a threat to them — and to America.”

The former DHS official was referring to the white supremacist who shot and killed 10 at a Buffalo grocery store and specifically targeted Black people.

The shooter reportedly wrote a manifesto referencing “great replacement theory,” a racist conspiracy theory promoted by some Republicans and amplified by figures such as Fox News host ― and self-confessed liar ― Tucker Carlson. The Theory claims that Democrats are trying to replace white Americans with people of color.

Taylor noted that a poll last year found nearly half of Republicans agreed with sentiments of the “great replacement theory.”

“The Republican Party — which branded a violent insurrection in the nation’s capital as ‘legitimate political discourse’ — is poisoning Americans’ minds and supplanting respectful disagreement with loaded-gun rhetoric,” he wrote.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tshile said:

no, democrats have not (to my knowledge, correct me if I’m wrong) talked about “replacing” white voters. They’ve talked about how over time they will become a lesser % of the population, because the other groups are growing faster. That’s not “replacing” anyone, it’s watching a pie get bigger and different sections grow at different rates.  I never said democrats said "replacing", I spoke about Democrats pointing to the fact that if certain demographics increase in the population, dem votes will grow.  

only the republicans have talked about “replacement”. And there’s a reason they use that word. Because it implies TAKING something from white peoples and giving it to someone else. It implies GETTING RID OF white people, and REPLACING them with someone else.   So I said earlier (I think) if someone (IE Tucker) is stating great replacement theory, then he too is conflating the terrible, horrible theory with immigration and changing demographics in voting.  

and the reason is obvious. Because it invites anger. Anger that goes well beyond political shifts. 

and it allows them to incite that anger, while claiming they’re just talking about the demo shifts we’ve all been talking about for multiple decades now. 

And it goes along with EVERYTHING ELSE they do to fan the flames of culture war.  Both sides fan the flames.  This shooter stated he hated fox, etc. and yet here we are people blaming what the shooter literally said was not the cause.  And then what do we have, all Republican's getting blasted, and if you dare say you are a republican then boom!   you are a part of the problem too, which has already been said here.

I’ve reached a point where it’s hard to not believe republicans are part of the problem. 

When I talk to family and friends, and I hear someone talk about how/why they are a Republican, and I think of all the people (myself included) that used to call ourselves republicans and talk about why we don’t anymore, and I find it hard to look even people I know well and not think “at best you’re saying you’re OK with this bull**** and that’s not OK”

I mean the other option is they’re too stupid to see what is going on. 

it’s not really a practice of mine to hang out with stupid people. So. Doesn’t really fit as an option…

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah my thoughts exactly. They talk plenty of **** about it, but there's no way they'd be able to survive without the federal government. Plus, as an independent country they'd have to negotiate trade deals with the USA too. So no more buying and selling wherever you want whenever you want.

Its like when you're a kid and you say you're moving out the house. Let me pack your bags, now go on, try to do it on your own...the red states can't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Las Vegas newspaper editorial board: 'We are struggling to identify' Republicans 'who are not an active threat' to democracy

On Tuesday, May 17, the Big Lie and the “Stop the Steal” movement enjoyed a major victory when Pennsylvania State Sen. Doug Mastriano — a far-right Christian nationalist and QAnon ally — won the 2022 GOP gubernatorial nomination in the Keystone State. Mastriano has been a forceful supporter of the claim that the 2020 presidential election was stolen from former President Donald Trump, but he is hardly alone in that regard. From Pennsylvania to the southwestern swing state of Nevada, the Big Lie has become a litmus test in the Trumpified GOP — and the Las Vegas Sun’s editorial board, in a biting editorial published on May 15, poses the question: Are there any Republicans left who are willing to stand up for democracy?

The answer to that question is that yes, some right-wing Republicans are willing to aggressively stand up for democracy — in the U.S. House of Representatives, for example, Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming and Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois have been blistering critics of the Big Lie. But Kinzinger isn’t seeking reelection, and Cheney will be gone from the House in 2023 if she loses a GOP congressional primary in Wyoming. Cheney and Kinzinger are the exception, not the norm, in the MAGA-oriented, increasingly authoritarian GOP of 2022.

The Sun’s editorial board focuses heavily on Nevada politics, but its message is relevant whether one lives in Nevada, Texas, Pennsylvania, Florida or Maine.

“No one knows better than Nevadans when it’s time to put our cards on the table,” the Sun’s editorial board writes. “The editorial board, and Nevadans as a whole, are facing an agonizing problem. We have endorsed Republicans in the past and might do so again in the future. Yet as we survey the field of Republican candidates across the state, we are struggling to identify those who are not an active threat to American democracy or the institutions of government that have sustained our republic for 250 years. Those are the stakes here for the GOP. For Nevada. For our voters.”

The Sun’s editorial board goes on to describe the “violent insurrection” of January 6, 2021 and the vicious assault on the U.S. Capitol Building as “one of the darkest days in U.S. history” — arguing that the Big Lie is just as toxic now as it was then.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If he hadn’t invaded Iraq; he probably would’ve been a one term president.

You think the Iraq war actually helped Bush in his reelection bid? I don't. 

He did win the popular vote in 2004, but narrowly won the EC. He benefitted from being an incumbent president presiding over a decent economy, which works if you're not running against a rock star like Bill Clinton or if you don't habitually step on your own **** like Trump.

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

You think the Iraq war actually helped Bush in his reelection bid? I don't. 

He did win the popular vote in 2004, but narrowly won the EC. He benefitted from being an incumbent president presiding over a decent economy, which works if you're not running against a rock star like Bill Clinton or if you don't habitually step on your own **** like Trump.

People didn’t want to change horses during wartime. This was coming off 9/11 and the Iraq war hadn’t gone south yet. So, yes I do believe the Iraq War helped Bush win re-election.

If the Iraq war never happened and 9/11 never happened; Bush was still going to be a mediocre president.  Dems would’ve put up better candidates in 04. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

People didn’t want to change horses during wartime. This was coming off 9/11 and the Iraq war hadn’t gone south yet. So, yes I do believe the Iraq War helped Bush win re-election.

If the Iraq war never happened and 9/11 never happened; Bush was still going to be a mediocre president.  Dems would’ve put up better candidates in 04. 

Bush was definitely very popular after 9/11, but feelings about the Iraq war definitely were heading south during 2004.  The release of the Abu Ghraib photos occurred in April of that year.

John Kerry was basically the 2004 version of Mitt Romney.

• Like 1

I am trying to think about what I would define as "conservative thought leadership" in 2022 -- drawing a blank.

Orthodoxy that we need to cut taxes. 

Companies ie free markets know best. 

Cheerleaders for a radical Supreme Court that is likely to dismantle the current regulatory framework. 

And people cheering this on...

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

I am trying to think about what I would define as "conservative thought leadership" in 2022 -- drawing a blank.

I think your problem is the phrase "conservative thought".  :) 

And I think conservative thought mostly consists of "as long as the country sucks (or we can convince people that it does), we can maintain power."  

I mean, come on.  What else would explain the GOP deciding that joining forces with Russia, and Covid, is a good political move?  

• Like 1