Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN will be doing a 30 for 30 on the 87 Redskins

Warhead36

OK, now I am confused about Coyle.

Look at  Riggotoni's post from April 5, 2007.

"I happened to be the guy who was sitting on the other side of the window when that happened," said Eric Coyle, an all-Big Eight center from Colorado who had been cut during training camp in 1987, and who now owns a construction company in Longmont, Colo.

"I was thinking, 'Man, Darryl is taking this pretty seriously,'" said Coyle. "And, yet, I don't think anybody really thought their livelihood was being threatened. I think they just got caught up in it."

Like several other replacement players, Coyle stayed on the roster when the strike ended. He wound up on injured reserve and didn't play in Washington's 42-10 Super Bowl victory over Denver, but he did get in enough time to earn a Super Bowl ring.   (Source:  USA Today).

Article says McEwan got a ring. 

On 9/15/2017 at 10:55 AM, RFK Lives said:

However, I believe this, if the Redskins do not go 3-0 in those games, they would not have won the Super Bowl.  

As the season turned out, if the RP's had won just 1 of the 3 games, the regs would have met in Chicago (as it was) for the playoffs. If they had lost all 3, it would have been the Cowboys vs. Bears.

I just caught up and finished watching it.  Strong show.  Quite enjoyed it.

It's foul that they dont get rings.  There's no argument for not giving them, IMO.  They earned it. I dont buy the money argument and it certainly doesnt apply today to retroactively give them.  

I was disappointed in JKC's reaction to the rings then.  I was extra disappointed in Gibbs' present day response.  He politely said "screw them" in unnecessarily vague terms, IMHO.  Even the regular players agreed they deserved rings (at least the handful in the doc).

On 9/15/2017 at 12:08 PM, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't want to argue the cost.  But using '87 dollars in 2017 is a bit deceiving.  Either way you are right, JKC could afford it. Maybe he felt like I do, they really weren't real players and players who have earned their way into the NFL are the ones who deserve rings.  They got a playoff share and they got pulled out of Cell Block 8 to play on MNF.  Seems that's quite a lot already. 

Except that's the argument that you should be happy with getting more than you had, rather than what you deserve.

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

Except that's the argument that you should be happy with getting more than you had, rather than what you deserve.

No it's the argument against the position that these players were used and then cut and forgotten about ending up with nothing but memories.   I just don't see that argument, they received a lot including playoff shares and the chance to fulfill their dreams. Again a movie and 2 documentaries dedicated to their story says they were hardly cast aside and forgotten. 

Finally had the chance to watch off the DVR this morning. 

Damn it, Dan....perfect chance for you and the crew to get some positive PR. Get these boys to a game, bring them out at halftime, make it a giant spectacle that they deserve and do it along with all the other regular players from that 87 Super Bowl team, and present them with official rings, and take a giant photo with all the regular players AND the scabs as one collective unit that won the Super Bowl as a TEAM.  Make it happen. Sad that it hasn't already. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, SkipLane39 said:

Hey Skins people, I just joined this and loved reading all the comments. Skins fans are really passionate and I loved my time playing there. I’ll be back if they give us a super bowl ring :) 

Happy trails, pardner. Be sure to bring pictures of the great grandkids' new flying car when you get back.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, SkipLane39 said:

Hey Skins people, I just joined this and loved reading all the comments. Skins fans are really passionate and I loved my time playing there. I’ll be back if they give us a super bowl ring :) 

Hey Skip!  Thanks for the effort of you and your teammates for those 3 weeks in '87.  I have very fond memories of watching all of those games.

My friends and I closed down a pizza joint in Harrisonburg, VA the night of that amazing MNF game versus the Cowboys (much to the chagrin of the staff there I might add).  We still talk about that night to this day.

Hope you get that ring you and your teammates deserve!

On 1/6/2018 at 10:51 AM, SkipLane39 said:

Glad you stopped by, Skip. Definitely deserved, hopefully it FINALLY happens one of these days soon!! 

On 1/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, SkipLane39 said:

Welcome! If this is the real Skip Lane, it's wonderful to have you here - those of us old enough to remember always will have a warm place in our hearts and a deep sense of admiration and gratitude for what you guys accomplished. As you have undoubtedly ascertained, all of us older fans fervently believe the replacements deserve rings.

• 1 month later...

If this is going to happen, I think Doug Williams will need to be a driving force:

Article from the Wash Post from June 1017:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/i-always-hated-being-called-a-scab-a-new-movie-revisits-the-1987-nfl-strike--and-redskins-triumph/2017/06/12/d79c1d96-4d51-11e7-bc1b-fddbd8359dee_story.html?utm_term=.c0093ce99465

The victory over the Cowboys was celebrated back in the nation’s capital, even by some of the picketing veterans. Though the strike had ended the week before, the striking players sat out because they needed extra time to practice after being away for almost a month. But they certainly watched.

“Very definitely,” said Doug Williams, one of Washington’s starting quarterbacks that year, who is now an executive with the team and was promoted to senior vice president of player personnel Tuesday. “Those guys won their first two games, and then to beat Dallas and go 3-0. That was huge for us the rest of the season.”

“They probably would have lost two of those three games and not made the playoffs,” Lane told The Washington Post. “It would mean a lot to get a ring, even if it were made with cubic zirconia. I may buy my own.” (Some of the replacements made fake rings.)

In the film, John Cooke tells Dorsey, “They were terribly expensive.” This from a man whose father, Jack Kent Cooke, owned the Chrysler Building and left an estate of more than $800 million.

On 9/23/2017 at 1:14 PM, LetThePointsSoar said:

Finally had the chance to watch off the DVR this morning. 

Damn it, Dan....perfect chance for you and the crew to get some positive PR. Get these boys to a game, bring them out at halftime, make it a giant spectacle that they deserve and do it along with all the other regular players from that 87 Super Bowl team, and present them with official rings, and take a giant photo with all the regular players AND the scabs as one collective unit that won the Super Bowl as a TEAM.  Make it happen. Sad that it hasn't already. 

Snyder does not understand the power of great PR. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, Alexa said:

Snyder does not understand the power of great PR. 

Maybe because I'm watching the West Virginia's teacher strike from afar and am in a very Homestead frame of mind, but rewarding scabs 30 years after the fact in this current political environment would be an interesting choice to say the least.

My general view: the rings are a way for teammates to remember each other. The scabs weren't the full-time players teammates; they were replacements who were taking money away from them. Maybe with hindsight all can be forgiven. But my grandfather carried a baseball bat in his car at all times, because he was on strike once when scabs were brought in, and he wasn't properly armed for the fight.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:37 AM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Maybe because I'm watching the West Virginia's teacher strike from afar and am in a very Homestead frame of mind, but rewarding scabs 30 years after the fact in this current political environment would be an interesting choice to say the least.

My general view: the rings are a way for teammates to remember each other. The scabs weren't the full-time players teammates; they were replacements who were taking money away from them. Maybe with hindsight all can be forgiven. But my grandfather carried a baseball bat in his car at all times, because he was on strike once when scabs were brought in, and he wasn't properly armed for the fight.

The scabs did not take money from the players. It was the owners who decided to still play the games. Those guys won 3 games and helped put the Redskins into position to have a home NFC Championship game against the Vikings. 

Archived