Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN will be doing a 30 for 30 on the 87 Redskins

Warhead36

7 hours ago, throwback37 said:

The replacement games took place during my senior year in high school and I still remember them fondly and vividly.  Reliving these games is giving me mixed emotions.. it was such an amazing time to be a Skinz fan, but I am getting so tired of hanging my hat on accomplishments of the past.  This fanbase is overdue for a sustained period of wining!

Me too! I still remember that Mon game against the Cowboys like it was yesterday. One of the most memorable games ever and I got goosebumps watching that last night. 

Fantastically done! Loved it - saved it on my DVR even after I finished watching.

I don't think there's ever been a GM more hated by his players than Tex Schramm. I caught a glimpse once of one of the Cowgirls America's Game from a 70s Superbowl, and all 3 players were ****ing about Hank Stramm and how little they were getting paid compared to other teams. I love that his strike strategy bit him in the ass.

That was an excellent piece. Those guys deserve a ring, they won three games for the regulars and beat the superstar cowboys in dallas on MNF.

I was very young when the strike happened, so I don't remember much or anything about it or the replacement players. I only remember Doug Wiliams lighting up the broncos in SB XXII but that's it. 

I'm not gonna lie, the film made me tear up to see Jack Kent Cooke, Bobby Beathard, and a young(er) Joe Gibbs. Man our teams were so dominant back then. We had an identity, we had a winning culture, we had an actual football team. 

Not to digress any further, but those guys deserve rings. It would be a huge PR win if the team got them some rings 30 years later. But I ain't holding my breath, if it costs lil' Dan money then it's not gonna happen. 

10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Totally agreed.  I thought Gibbs was going to say absolutely, that they deserved rings.  Bobby Beathard did.   Gibbs was so strident in making sure the regulars didn't come back because he didn't want to break the team chemistry.  I'd have figured a guy that was so hell bent on chemistry and brotherhood would have said that those players deserved rings.  

Awesome documentary.  

The Strike Team short documentary was great, too.

I was surprised that RC Theilemann and Darryl (I broke the window on their bus) Grant, both of who were the most vocal anti-replacement players on the team now think that they deserve rings, but Gibbs could not answer the question...at least he did not say no.  I was also surprised that the players are not on the Redskins alumni list and are not invited to team alumni events.  In addition to the rings problem, this needs to be fixed as well.

BTW, someone had asked before about a picture of the replacement team, I had remembered seeing one and they showed it during the closing credits.  What was odd about the photo is that some players had their heads down like they did not want to be photographed (or maybe the sun was just bright that day).

Very good piece with info I didn't know about.  I remember the replacement games and the Skins winning.  I remember the failout in Dallas with Tony Dorsett which lead to him being traded to Denver, but didn't know Tex Schramm stuff.  That was interesting. 

Like others I was surprised by Gibbs' response to whether the scabs should have gotten rings.  It made sense that the league didn't allocate enough money to buy rings for two squads but you'd think JKC would have flipped the bill and bought them rings.  Maybe Gibbs didn't want to disrespect JKC's memory or he doesn't want to put pressure on Dan.  

I think it's not Gibbs money and he's standing by what JKC did long ago.  I'm sure there are also others on the team that felt the scabs didn't deserve a ring and he's still not willing to step on any toes 30 years later.  He didn't say that they didn't deserve the rings, just that he didn't want to comment on it.  Could mean a ton of things.

Very well done. Definitely a keeper on my DVR. Don't understand why the regulars got so damn mad at the scabs though. Some of those guys were probably flipping burgers.

And yes, a nice little ring ceremony at a halftime next year would be very classy by Snyder. As for Gibbs' response, I'm not surprised. He knows who's decision it is and isn't he a little cozy with Dan Snyder? He probably didn't want to force his hand.

22 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

I was surprised that RC Theilemann and Darryl (I broke the window on their bus) Grant, both of who were the most vocal anti-replacement players on the team now think that they deserve rings, but Gibbs could not answer the question...at least he did not say no.  I was also surprised that the players are not on the Redskins alumni list and are not invited to team alumni events.  In addition to the rings problem, this needs to be fixed as well.

BTW, someone had asked before about a picture of the replacement team, I had remembered seeing one and they showed it during the closing credits.  What was odd about the photo is that some players had their heads down like they did not want to be photographed (or maybe the sun was just bright that day).

He didn't say yes, which is a no as far as I'm concerned.

Theilemann and Grant realized what a big favor those replacements did for them after the fact, IMO.  I think if the replacements went 0-3 or 1-2 instead and the Skins don't have first place and don't make the Superbowl, they aren't singing the same tune.  

That photo looked like it was taken from a cherry picker at camp and everyone was looking up into the sun.  

3 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Very well done. Definitely a keeper on my DVR. Don't understand why the regulars got so damn mad at the scabs though. Some of those guys were probably flipping burgers.

And yes, a nice little ring ceremony at a halftime next year would be very classy by Snyder. As for Gibbs' response, I'm not surprised. He knows who's decision it is and isn't he a little cozy with Dan Snyder? He probably didn't want to force his hand.

I also have never understood why the regulars got so mad at the replacement players, either.  I mean, they were striking no matter what, they were missing out on paychecks with replacement players playing games or not.  I think it was Theilemann who was saying something about them "stealing" from his family or something.  Well, Theilemann knew what he was risking by going on strike.  Maybe they felt threatened that they wouldn't be welcomed back after the strike and the replacements would keep their jobs?  

3 minutes ago, DM72 said:

I also have never understood why the regulars got so mad at the replacement players, either.  I mean, they were striking no matter what, they were missing out on paychecks with replacement players playing games or not.  I think it was Theilemann who was saying something about them "stealing" from his family or something.  Well, Theilemann knew what he was risking by going on strike.  Maybe they felt threatened that they wouldn't be welcomed back after the strike and the replacements would keep their jobs?  

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well the whole point of going on strike was to hit the owners where it counts, in the wallet.  If games are still being played then the owners are still pulling in revenue.  That's what the players didn't like.  The product wasn't nearly as good, but it was enough to get people to watch.  The first week of games weren't televised but then they started televising the week after.  It was all about who was going to blink first and the players blinked.  

12 minutes ago, drowland said:

Well the whole point of going on strike was to hit the owners where it counts, in the wallet.  If games are still being played then the owners are still pulling in revenue.  That's what the players didn't like.  The product wasn't nearly as good, but it was enough to get people to watch.  The first week of games weren't televised but then they started televising the week after.  It was all about who was going to blink first and the players blinked.  

The owners were never going to blink.  Some players realized this quickly.

I remember walking through the crowd and through the players picketing on the way into the stadium.  They were screaming and yelling at all the fans who crossed the picket lines. It was comical. No disrespect to any player, but they weren't going to show up if a fan had a work problem.  I knew hardcore union guys who were pissed about the the whole thing. There was no plan in place.

BTW, here is an auction for Rypien's 1987 ring:

https://goldinauctions.com/1987_washington_redskins_super_bowl_championship_p-lot18921.aspx

Final prices include buyers premium.:$43,020.00

Not sure when this happened, but it must have been in the last 7 years as I met him at an autograph signing in Fredericksburg in 2010 and he was wearing both of his SB rings.  I know this as I took a picture of them.   He even noted that the 87 ring was the one that Doug Williams won.

Note:  The document Rypien signed for the auction is from 2013....

1 hour ago, drowland said:

Right, so they didn't have any need to be upset with anyone other than themselves.  They couldn't organize properly and several key players crossed the line and went back and played.  

Interesting read here about Wilson suing the team over not getting his SB ring back in 1989. 

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19900304&slug=1059104

Wilson, for his part, wonders why the Redskins have been so determined not to give him a ring.

Maxwell, the NFL spokesman, said the Redskins were given 90 Super Bowl rings at $3,000 each, but can order additional rings at their own cost. Wilson could not order his own ring.  ``It's not a matter of them giving in to me,'' Wilson said. ``It's a matter of them doing the right thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_ring

Teams can distribute any number of rings, but must pay for any over the 150-ring limit. A recent trend over the last 15–20 years has been lesser rings awarded to front office staff. These are commonly called "B" and "C" level rings and are smaller and contain fewer diamonds or contain faux diamonds. The first instance of this was the Redskins Super Bowl XVII ring when many in the front office received rings that were not solid gold and contained cubic zirconia stones (which resemble diamonds). When Tampa Bay won Super Bowl XXXVII, the players and coaches received rings with a diamond-centered Lombardi trophy. Some staff received rings with a metal Lombardi trophy and real diamonds surrounding the trophy and the "C" level ring did not contain any diamonds

Hmmm...makes me wonder about the rings that the office people got for the 1987 season.

Crazy question... Does anyone remember if any of the Replacements wore the number 10 while Schroeder was striking?

I have an RGIII jersey collecting dust and while there's a site where you can order a replacement name plate, the only 10s I remember are John Hall and Jay Schroeder... neither of which excite me. Also putting my own name on it is no good as my body frame is more indicative of a 60's number.

I'd almost consider a putting a Replacement player on there if one wore #10... it's not a ring but...

8 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Not to digress any further, but those guys deserve rings. It would be a huge PR win if the team got them some rings 30 years later. But I ain't holding my breath, if it costs lil' Dan money then it's not gonna happen. 

When has Dan Snyder EVER shied away from spending money?  There are a lot of things fans can **** and complain about when it comes to Snyder, but spending money is definitely not one of them.  If anything, this piece shows that JKC was a cheap ass, but I know it's blasphemy for people to say anything about Cooke's wrong doings and mishandlings as an owner.  He wouldn't buy the replacements rings and he bought fake ass rings for members of his staff.  I don't want to divert this thread, but Hell, he wouldn't even give his son or anyone else in his own family the team when he died, and instead left it to go on the market.  Snyder never owns the team if it wasn't for JKC.

1 hour ago, hawgboy said:

Crazy question... Does anyone remember if any of the Replacements wore the number 10 while Schroeder was striking?

I have an RGIII jersey collecting dust and while there's a site where you can order a replacement name plate, the only 10s I remember are John Hall and Jay Schroeder... neither of which excite me. Also putting my own name on it is no good as my body frame is more indicative of a 60's number.

I'd almost consider a putting a Replacement player on there if one wore #10... it's not a ring but...

Chase Daniel, Jabar Gaffney, and Trent Green wore number 10. All excellent choices. Totally. Absolutely.

Archived