Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 MLB Thread

Riggo#44

2 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Stanton Homers in first Yankees AB... Good googly moogly

Enjoy him AL. Good riddance. 

Definitely glad we don't have to face him anymore. Although, seeing his majestic moonshots in person was a site.

You guys are right. What were the Astros' odds to win it all last year before the season started? I'd really like to know if you could find that info. Royals won it in 2015. I guess I was speaking more on the Padres cuz I'm a fan and they haven't won diddly squat. And let's be honest, they have zero chance to make the playoffs.

That doesn't bother me as much. Two things that need to change are one, shorten the season and two, an automated strike zone. That would make the game so much better imo.

I like the length of the season. Baseball needs lots of games to figure out who's good because of the streaky nature of the sport. If anything the playoffs should be lengthened, at the very least the DS should be best of 5 and maybe make the Wild Card best of 3. Agree 100% on automated strike zone.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, Warhead36 said:

I like the length of the season. Baseball needs lots of games to figure out who's good because of the streaky nature of the sport. If anything the playoffs should be lengthened, at the very least the DS should be best of 5 and maybe make the Wild Card best of 3. Agree 100% on automated strike zone.

The length of the season was fine before we had four playoff rounds.

Somewhere between 145 and 150 would be good. It's still a ton of games.

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Bud Selig.

I miss him, too.  The desire to shave 3 minutes off a game that last 3 hours on average is silly.  How long does an NFL game last?  3 hours.  People like baseball because it's leisurely with quick bursts of action and it's not regulated by a clock.  

Bud was goofy and folksy and I think that worked against him.  He presided over baseball during a really weird time.  I think he botched the PED thing.

But throughout his tenure the game grew, attendance records were shattered and baseball did really, really well.  This obsession that Manfred has of cutting off 5 or 10 minutes of a game is just dumb.  Who's going to notice 5 minutes when the game is 3 hours?  If a game that starts at 1pm finished at 3:55 instead of 4, does anyone care?

Rob action out of the game, how's that work?  What's his evidence?  No, when my team brings in a setup man and a closer, they better be dominant.  That's what they're there to do.  Who's interested in watering down the game for more action?  He's clamoring for shorter games but wants MORE action?  Longer innings means MORE TIME.  

Hell, I'm good with well-pitched, 3-2 scores. Take Max Scherzer last night for example--8th inning I was pumping my fist when Scherzer struck out Nat-killer extraordinarre Freddie Freeman. My wife got mad at me in the 9th when he whiffed Culberson and Inciarte back-to-back to end the game and I yelled, with a sleeping 4-year-old.

Relievers are exciting. Pitching is exciting. This is how out of touch Manfred is. This is one thing NFL does much more than the MLB--it markets it's stars on both sides of the ball. Everything Manfred has proposed has been to limit pitching. Outside of the "Big 4" (Max, Kershaw, Sale, Kluber) there is a glut of fantastic pitchers that don't get enough attention: Strasburg, Severino, deGrom (overshadowed by the overrated Thor), Gerrit Cole is going to be fantastic this year. Watching filth come from Kimbrel, Chapman, Kenley Jansen, Felipe Rivero (now Vasquez), Doolittle, Andrew Miller, Rasiel Iglesias, Britton (when he's healthy), Corey Knebel. Hell, Kimbrel averaged almost 17 K/9 last year. That's insane.

MLB needs to market the whole game, not just offense. Manfred doesn't get it.

29 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Hell, I'm good with well-pitched, 3-2 scores. Take Max Scherzer last night for example--8th inning I was pumping my fist when Scherzer struck out Nat-killer extraordinarre Freddie Freeman. My wife got mad at me in the 9th when he whiffed Culberson and Inciarte back-to-back to end the game and I yelled, with a sleeping 4-year-old.

Relievers are exciting. Pitching is exciting. This is how out of touch Manfred is. This is one thing NFL does much more than the MLB--it markets it's stars on both sides of the ball. Everything Manfred has proposed has been to limit pitching. Outside of the "Big 4" (Max, Kershaw, Sale, Kluber) there is a glut of fantastic pitchers that don't get enough attention: Strasburg, Severino, deGrom (overshadowed by the overrated Thor), Gerrit Cole is going to be fantastic this year. Watching filth come from Kimbrel, Chapman, Kenley Jansen, Felipe Rivero (now Vasquez), Doolittle, Andrew Miller, Rasiel Iglesias, Britton (when he's healthy), Corey Knebel. Hell, Kimbrel averaged almost 17 K/9 last year. That's insane.

MLB needs to market the whole game, not just offense. Manfred doesn't get it.

Yeah, but we're diehards.  And while 99 mph fastballs are exciting, a 99 mph fastball exiting the stadium at 450 feet is even more exciting.  Maybe not to you and me and the other diehards, but thats because we get it.  The so-called "casual fan" doesn't care about that.  Keep in mind, MLB is marketing to the casual fans.  We don't need to be marketed to because we'll show up and watch no matter what.

The NBA markets dunks and 3 point shooters.  They aren't marketing pick and rolls and screens.

I look at the NFL--Roger Goodell has turned off the key demographic with incomprehensible rules and an over saturation of a poor product--the Thursday night games come to mind. Is Manfred doing the same thing? (I've taken to calling him Rob Goo-Manfred). I don't know anyone who thinks his Pace of Play initiatives are a good thing, except maybe the mound visits--which I don't think were a big deal in the 1st place.

If anything, just fix the stupid ass designated hitter rule, either implement it across both the AL and NL or scrap it for the AL and make their pitchers bat.  As a NL fan, I'm all for them doing away with it all together.  But at this point, I'll take one way or the other just to make it consistent across the board.  

Limiting the amount of pitchers that can be used during the game is stupid.  We all know there is only one way to shorten games, that's to shorten the total amount of innings, commercial breaks, and the time between at bats and pitches.  We all know that they will not shorten the commercial breaks due to sponsors/advertising.  Shorting the game to 7 innings, well since the average game lasts 3 hours (180 mins), that's 20 mins per inning, so it would reduce the average time played down to 2 hours 20 mins (give or take).  But it wouldn't feel right, at all.  

Since there is no time keeping, I guess they could try and implement a play clock for the pitcher and batters box.  Not sure if that alone would shave that much time off to justify even doing it.  Hell, I don't know what the average amount of time it takes between bats or pitches, don't feel like looking to see if that stat is even kept (unofficially or officially).  

I'm not saying they should really change anything either.  Except the DH rule.  **** that rule.

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I look at the NFL--Roger Goodell has turned off the key demographic with incomprehensible rules and an over saturation of a poor product--the Thursday night games come to mind. Is Manfred doing the same thing? (I've taken to calling him Rob Goo-Manfred). I don't know anyone who thinks his Pace of Play initiatives are a good thing, except maybe the mound visits--which I don't think were a big deal in the 1st place.

They really aren't because his proposals aren't going to shave off any significant time that would be meaningful.  There is only one way to do that, reduce the number of innings by 1 or 2.  Then on average save 20 or 40 mins for games that only go either 7 or 8 innings.  I wouldn't agree with the change, well because 9 innings is what we know.  But, I also don't think it would be the end of the world if reduced to 8 innings, with the "7th inning stretch" just being a break between the 4th and 5th inning.  

Games would be reduced to 2 hours 40 mins.  Did the commish by chance even say what his ideal total amount of time per game was?  Cause, if he's shooting for something like the length of a college BB or NBA game, cause that average is 2 hours 10 mins (college) and 2 hours 15 mins (NBA).  Is he wanting say 2 hour 30 min games?  

Archived