Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 MLB Thread

Riggo#44

29 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If you think some tweets are bad, you probably won't want to hear that I am literally trying to get a murderer paroled because it happened when he was 17.  More info on that:  http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-parole-commission-juveniles-20161014-story.html

That's all well and good, but what are you doing for Kyle Schwarber?! #Justice4Schwarber!

8 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I haven't seen the actual tweets.  I will say that there is a huge body of scientific evidence that says, scientifically, 17 year olds are prone to do stupid stuff.  There was actually a recent Supreme Court case on this issue.  After being presented with just a ton of data on how teenage brains work, the main holding in Miller v. Alabama (which was about whether a person under 18 can be sentenced to life in prison w/o parole) was:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/10-9646g2i8.pdf

He wrote a tweet saying white power.

I am not disagreeing about 17 year olds saying dumb stuff.

But the 24-25 year old version of himself decided to blame rap lyrics for him tweeting white power. It’s fishy.

• 3 weeks later...

So...Rich Porcello had a good night. 

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/news/rick-porcello-throws-one-hitter-against-yanks/c-288761754

Porcello fired a complete-game one-hitter, striking out nine, walking none and throwing just 86 pitches, 68 of them for strikes.

His only blemish was the solo homer he allowed to Miguel Andujar to open the top of the third.

From there, he was simply masterful, retiring the final 21 batters he faced. Porcello faced just 28 batters for the game, one over the minimum. He joined Pedro Martinez (Sept. 10, 1999) as the only Red Sox pitchers in the last 50 years to pitch a one-hitter against the Yankees. In fact, those are the only two performances since 1908 in which a pitcher hurled a complete game with one hit, no walks and nine-plus strikeouts against the Bronx Bombers.

CG with only 86 pitches. That is incredible.

The Sawks on the other hand - playing their minds out. I thought the AL East race was going to be neck-and-neck down to the wire but they've opened up an 8.5 game lead over the Yankees and are wrecking the American League's ****. Best slash line and 2nd best ERA in the AL.

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

No but seriously, can someone please pry ESPN and Fox's grip off Major League Baseball? Please?

I'll even put up with Costas' if they put it on NBC again. Just...please. Make it stop. 

This is part of what's killing the game. ESPN barely covers it, just bloviating, mindless nonsense. It's a talk show during a baseball game.

It makes you long for Jon Miller and Joe Morgan.

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Unfortunately, I think Boston can cruise to the WS.  They look that good.

This is what makes the playoffs so nerve-wracking. The 114-win Mariners lost to a team with approx 20 fewer wins in the ALCS. An 88-win team won the WS in 2014. Its crazy.

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is what makes the playoffs so nerve-wracking. The 114-win Mariners lost to a team with approx 20 fewer wins in the ALCS. An 88-win team won the WS in 2014. Its crazy.

Exactly.  It's all about who's hot at the right time and not the team with the best record.  

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I've always thought that teams that play meaningful games in mid-late September are at an advantage. Not sure if history bares that out though.

Can't confirm that but it would make sense to me. Every once in awhile you run up against teams that are just stunningly dominant all year long like the '98 Yankees and the '76 Reds but they are exceptionally rare.

I love baseball.  But i hate mlb coverage and espn.  

Story after story about about the Yankees troubles and if Boone can make it as a manager blah blah blah. 

They are 26 games over .500. 

Stfu 

and thankfully ESPN is showing the Yankees tonight.  It’s been a few hours since they were on. 

I've sometimes said I'd only get TV again just so I could watch baseball but you know what? Maybe not if my choices are between ESPN's wretched, halfassed coverage of Major League Baseball and Fox (though if memory serves, TBS' coverage isn't so bad). 

I just wish I could pick up a clearer signal of WFED up here in Harrisburg. 

• 1 month later...

Archived