Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 MLB Thread

Riggo#44

DH = awesome.  

Rockies are surprisingly good.  Mets and Cubs, surprisingly bad.  Red Sox surprisingly bad, the loss of Ortiz is hurting them and I love it.  Yankees kids are getting good way ahead of time, I do believe they're legit.  Trea Turner and Bryce Harper might be the two most exciting players on any given team.    

Things not likely to continue: The Reds are over .500. Joey Votto is still a dick, though.

Cubs are clearly suffering from the World Series hangover. They'll get it together, Bryant is warming up, rest of the division will cool.

I want to apologize from some of us good O's fans to Nats fans for the "troll job" from JPG. I have no idea who that cat is and he hasn't been a regular in our thread.  I thought I'd put it in here instead of posting in the Nats thread.  I'm glad you guys clowned him. Uncalled for.  I didn't really see any hostility from anyone (even Riggo44 :) who was pretty calm) before the series began.

I know I made it my own personal rule not to go in your thread and post, although I do read from time to time..  I just think it's better to stay in our own threads. Nothing good ever comes from going into the other thread.  I, like most Nats fans, see the 4 games as just 4 games and hope we win 3. 

I wish they would change it up every year if they want to continue the interleague matchups. Do it division to division.  AL East plays all 5 NL Central teams in 4 game series (2 home, 2 away).  That's 20 games and that is what is currently on the schedule.  I don't think it's necessary for Balt-Was, NY-NY or LA-LA to play every year. I think it doesn't help when Baltimore and Washington have to play each other (2 tough teams) while Boston gets a pass with Philly, Cubs get a pass with the White Sox, etc. Every team in the division should play the same schedule.

Well, we let one slip away yesterday.  Hope we take the last one.  Then on to KC and Detroit.

4 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

I want to apologize from some of us good O's fans to Nats fans for the "troll job" from JPG.

Well, we let one slip away yesterday.  Hope we take the last one.  Then on to KC and Detroit.

No need to apologize, that dude was funny! I especially like the "scrappy fans" comment. I am going to use that all year.

Each game of the series has been really competitive, the team who does less dumb **** has won. And, A.J. Cole is pitching tonight--you'll get your wish. That guy hold the ball out so long he may as well yell out the pitch he's going to throw.

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Why are the Giants so bad? 

Their lineup beyond Posey has been ****. Their bullpen has been ****. Their rotation is ****, especially with Bumgardner hurt.

Brian Sabean is no longer the GM, he's not the Pres of Baseball Ops or something like that. Their recent signings have been:

Jeff Smardjjaskdfna (massive overpay, 5.44 ERA in 2017)

Denard Span (massive overpay, hurt, hitting just .200, OPS .712 in 2016)

Matt Moore re-sign (hasn't been good in 4 years, 6.52 ERA)

Jonny Cueto (good last year, not so much this year, 4.50-ish ERA)

Mark Melancon (Hurt, given an obscene deal)

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

And, A.J. Cole is pitching tonight--you'll get your wish. That guy hold the ball out so long he may as well yell out the pitch he's going to throw.

So are folks around Nats Park doing a rain dance, hoping to get tonight washed out?

I don't think there's anything wrong with some good natured **** talking between the Nats an Orioles fans on here.  Plus, Riggo#44 is too easy of a target to pass on :)

I think the Astros are legit.  They took a step back last year but I'd attribute that to some growing pains.  Keuchel is a stud, so is McCullers and I think both of those guys were hurt last year.  

That throw to cut down Ellsbury at the plate last night was a thing of beauty http://m.mlb.com/news/article/229715472/dallas-keuchel-astros-shut-down-yankees/

I also hate to say it, but I don't think the Red Sox are going to be down for too long.  Killer B's are all too good to have such a quiet offense all year and as much I was hoping that their latest member, Benintendi, would fall flat on his face, he's been producing.

Sale is a stud, and if Price can get healthy they should be pretty good.  They just need to figure it out without Ortiz and that'll take a some time.

I like Jeter.  Even as an Orioles fan, it pains me to say it.  Good dude, great player, just happened to play for the wrong team.  Class act, played the game the right way.  Not his fault Jeffrey Maier is a ****ing tool.

He's just damn fortunate that the Yankees drafted him.  Had he gone anywhere else, he'd be remembered as a guy like Paul Molitor.  Now Paul Molitor is no slouch at all but he's not viewed like Jeter is.  Even their slash lines are comparable.  And in some ways, Molitor is better (more doubles, more steals in less plate appearances).  Had Jeter indeed been drafted by the Astros or the Reds he's nowhere near glorified as he is.

On 5/14/2017 at 11:15 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I like Jeter.  Even as an Orioles fan, it pains me to say it.  Good dude, great player, just happened to play for the wrong team.  Class act, played the game the right way.  Not his fault Jeffrey Maier is a ****ing tool.

He's just damn fortunate that the Yankees drafted him.  Had he gone anywhere else, he'd be remembered as a guy like Paul Molitor.  Now Paul Molitor is no slouch at all but he's not viewed like Jeter is.  Even their slash lines are comparable.  And in some ways, Molitor is better (more doubles, more steals in less plate appearances).  Had Jeter indeed been drafted by the Astros or the Reds he's nowhere near glorified as he is.

While that is true, you have to give Jeter props for being so good in the clutch. A lot of people don't value that but we see it happen all the time in every sport where normally great players completely stink up the joint in the biggest moments. Jeter was at his best(or at the very least, never dropped off)when the pressure was at its highest.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

While that is true, you have to give Jeter props for being so good in the clutch. A lot of people don't value that but we see it happen all the time in every sport where normally great players completely stink up the joint in the biggest moments. Jeter was at his best(or at the very least, never dropped off)when the pressure was at its highest.

Yeah, clutch is BS.  It's not like Jeter magically elevated his game to a higher level in big moments.  He hit .310 lifetime, his average in the postseason was .308.  

2 outs, RISP his career batting average was .298.

Late and close, .283.

His other clutch stats never rise above a .314 batting average or rise much above his .817 lifetime OPS. 

The notion that Jeter somehow was able to "turn it on" and become a better hitter in certain situations is crap. Jeter hit in big moments because...he was a .300 hitter to begin with.  Just like Babe Ruth hit .356 with 2 outs and RISP, it probably has something to do with the fact that he hit over .340 for his career.

Archived