Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 MLB Thread

Riggo#44

I still have the Astros representing the AL, but they better be playing better in October than they are now. Plus, as good as they have been, there must be a reason their star pitcher was upset with management for not doing anything at the trade deadline.

With that being said, Boston is probably the most capable team to knock them off in the AL.

13 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Getting caught up with the baseball news. Astros and Dodgers seem to be on the fast track to their respective pennants (shocker, I know) but I was surprised to see the Astros outside of the top ten as far as team ERA is concerned. They're 2nd in the AL in opponent batting average, though and they're leading all the major hitting categories. 

For those of you who follow the American League more closely: can you foresee anyone giving the Astros trouble? 

Boston.  

Astros, while still very formidable, don't appear to be as bulletproof as they were a couple months back.  Lance McCullers was ineffective in his last starts and I think he's on the DL now with a back issue, so who knows how long he'll be out for and what he'll be like if he returns.  He's a big piece for them.  Carlos Correa has been out for awhile, too.  I think he should be back next week.

I don't think they did anything at the deadline to shore up their bullpen which isn't lights out.  Right now they rank 19th in bullpen ERA.  You look at the top bullpens in the game and they belong to the Dodgers, Red Sox, Indians, Yankees and Cubs from an ERA perspective.  I'm assuming there's some correlation between what the Dodgers are doing right now and the dominant bullpen that they have.  Even without Kershaw they are still killing everyone.

But getting back to Boston, their bullpen is good and they have good starters.  I think the best move they made at the deadline was to call up that 3rd baseman, Rafael Devers.  He's been a sparkplug for them, hits to all fields and provides a solid glove already.  He's given them a boost and now it looks like they're pulling away from the pack a little bit.  Boston has a well rounded offense even without David Ortiz.  They don't have a true thumper in the lineup but have 5 guys that can still hit over 20 homers but most importantly I think they have a well rounded offense.  They work the count, they're patient.  

Sale will win the Cy Young this year, it won't be even close.  If he's dealing and can match up with Houston twice in a 5 game series or 3 times in a 7 game series, it could be trouble for Houston.  

Thanks for the input, @Spaceman Spiff. While I was looking at those starting pitching stats, I was thinking one of the eastern division front runners would be the most likely candidate. Red Sox are playing well right now. If their bullpen keeps up, I can't see why they can't at least give the Astros a run for their money. 

American League playoffs are gonna be fun to watch. I dunno about the NL, though. I hope the Nats can win the pennant this year and the Cubs are getting their bearings again but unless they have the kind of collapse they had in '51, it looks like the Dodgers are on their way to the World Series. 

But ultimately, to me, what this all boils down to is teams getting hot at the right time.  The Dodgers are putting together a hell of a run right now but it's hard to tell if this is sustainable.  A month ago, a lot of people thought the Astros were going to cruise their way to the WS, not so much anymore.  Now all of a sudden the Cubs are on a tear, too.  

Just now, thebluefood said:

Thanks for the input, @Spaceman Spiff. While I was looking at those starting pitching stats, I was thinking one of the eastern division front runners would be the most likely candidate. Red Sox are playing well right now. If their bullpen keeps up, I can't see why they can't at least give the Astros a run for their money. 

American League playoffs are gonna be fun to watch. I dunno about the NL, though. I hope the Nats can win the pennant this year and the Cubs are getting their bearings again but unless they have the kind of collapse they had in '51, it looks like the Dodgers are on their way to the World Series. 

I think the NL could be really fun, too.  Just have to see if the Dodgers are playing this well in late September.  And while Kershaw is an amazing pitcher, his postseason record isn't special at all.  If he ghosts again in the playoffs, they can be beat.  

Good call about Kershaw, too. His regular season performance can be so dazzling that you forget he sort of disappears when the leaves start falling. If the Nats finally get their bullpen situation straightened out and the Cubs continue rolling, this could be a 3 team race for the pennant.

Regardless, I just hope the Nats at least make it to the NLCS - even if it means running into a big, blue buzzsaw. :P 

The Mets are out of it. Heck, if I were a Mets fan playing against a team that has totally owned us, I probably would not have gone either. Plus, I believe this was originally a 1:00 pm game.

Assuming you're a Nats fan, same scenario with the Nats having a record of 49-60, would Nationals Park be rocking with Nats fans or would there be an influx of Dodger fans?

Also, we Redskins fans shouldn't talk about any other fanbase considering the way FedEx is taken over by other teams fans. Even when we're playing for something.

48 minutes ago, DM72 said:

The Mets are out of it. Heck, if I were a Mets fan playing against a team that has totally owned us, I probably would not have gone either. Plus, I believe this was originally a 1:00 pm game.

Assuming you're a Nats fan, same scenario with the Nats having a record of 49-60, would Nationals Park be rocking with Nats fans or would there be an influx of Dodger fans?

Also, we Redskins fans shouldn't talk about any other fanbase considering the way FedEx is taken over by other teams fans. Even when we're playing for something.

But all you hear all the time is how passionate and awesome NY sports fans are. The truth is, they're just like everyone else. When the team wins, they'll show up. When they don't, their parks get invaded by opponents.

• 3 weeks later...

So why should an error be counted against the pitcher when it comes to a perfect game? He could still face the minimum number of batters and as baseball is all about records, perfect games are not recorded as a team effort, only by the pitcher. Just a thought. 

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

So why should an error be counted against the pitcher when it comes to a perfect game? He could still face the minimum number of batters and as baseball is all about records, perfect games are not recorded as a team effort, only by the pitcher. Just a thought. 

It's perfect for everyone involved.  You know as well as anyone else that a pitcher has a lot of control over the game but he's also gotta rely on his defenders to make things happen, too.  A perfect game means no one reaches first base, not facing the minimum.  An error nixes that.  

25 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's perfect for everyone involved.  You know as well as anyone else that a pitcher has a lot of control over the game but he's also gotta rely on his defenders to make things happen, too.  A perfect game means no one reaches first base, not facing the minimum.  An error nixes that.  

As does someone sticking their elbow into a pitch and then dancing around like a jackass.

33 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I get the historical meaning and I've know that forever, but to me that means it shouldn't be the individual pitcher that only gets credit, but the team. If Hill had gotten a perfect game, it would have been credited to him and not to the team. I'm talking about the records of these games.   

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

As does someone sticking their elbow into a pitch and then dancing around like a jackass.

Yeah, stupid baseball players trying to get on base!!! How dare they!!! 

How dare they indeed, leaning into a pitch, saying " Hey look, he hit me!" And ruining a perfect game. Thats not trying to get on base. Trying to get on base would require being a man, staring down the gun barrel and trying to break that up with a hit or walk, instead of being a vagina 

19 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Yeah, stupid baseball players trying to get on base!!! How dare they!!! 

It's actually illegal. But I don't expect you to know that.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

How dare they indeed, leaning into a pitch, saying " Hey look, he hit me!" And ruining a perfect game. Thats not trying to get on base. Trying to get on base would require being a man, staring down the gun barrel and trying to break that up with a hit, instead of being a vagina 

He was the one who made a huge stink in the Nats thread that day...but gets all sore when anyone dares to venture into the O's thread.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's actually illegal. But I don't expect you to know that.

He was the one who made a huge stink in the Nats thread that day...but gets all sore when anyone dares to venture into the O's thread.

:rofl89::rofl89:

Don't be such a snowflake. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

How dare they indeed, leaning into a pitch, saying " Hey look, he hit me!" And ruining a perfect game. Thats not trying to get on base. Trying to get on base would require being a man, staring down the gun barrel and trying to break that up with a hit or walk, instead of being a vagina 

Quick, tell me more about dumb unwritten rules of sports. 

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

I could tell you quicker about how things are sometimes easier to pick up for autistic people than people who try to act cute on the internet

Is that supposed to be an attempt at an insult? Pretty weak if so.

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Says the guy still upset about a game from last year. :rofl89::rofl89:

I'd say let me know how you feel when it happens to the O's, but we both know that's not happening.

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Is that supposed to be an attempt at an insult? Pretty weak if so.

So is most of your general knowledge of the game...

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'd say let me know how you feel when it happens to the O's, but we both know that's not happening.

So is most of your general knowledge of the game...

LOL, that is an even weaker attempt at insults. Enjoy your day. LOL

Archived