Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 MLB Thread

Riggo#44

14 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Did the commish by chance even say what his ideal total amount of time per game was?  Cause, if he's shooting for something like the length of a college BB or NBA game, cause that average is 2 hours 10 mins (college) and 2 hours 15 mins (NBA).  Is he wanting say 2 hour 30 min games?  

I don't even thing he knows, honestly. This seems very ham-handed. Jayson Stark brought up a good point in a chat: Is MLB handling of this issue making it seem worse than it is? I'd say absolutely--I think they're turning more people away than they are attracting.

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

If anything, just fix the stupid ass designated hitter rule, either implement it across both the AL and NL or scrap it for the AL and make their pitchers bat.  As a NL fan, I'm all for them doing away with it all together.  But at this point, I'll take one way or the other just to make it consistent across the board.  

Limiting the amount of pitchers that can be used during the game is stupid.  We all know there is only one way to shorten games, that's to shorten the total amount of innings, commercial breaks, and the time between at bats and pitches.  We all know that they will not shorten the commercial breaks due to sponsors/advertising.  Shorting the game to 7 innings, well since the average game lasts 3 hours (180 mins), that's 20 mins per inning, so it would reduce the average time played down to 2 hours 20 mins (give or take).  But it wouldn't feel right, at all.  

Since there is no time keeping, I guess they could try and implement a play clock for the pitcher and batters box.  Not sure if that alone would shave that much time off to justify even doing it.  Hell, I don't know what the average amount of time it takes between bats or pitches, don't feel like looking to see if that stat is even kept (unofficially or officially).  

I'm not saying they should really change anything either.  Except the DH rule.  **** that rule.

You know, I grew up watching mostly AL ball with the Orioles, but I did get the Braves on TBS and the Cubs on WGN in Maryland.  I've been pro DH my entire life.  I don't want to morph this into a DH/no DH argument as I have my reasons why I prefer it.  But I've been at that same place for a while. Whether they keep it or not, just make it uniform across the league.  I was fine with it when the 2 leagues didn't play each other until the WS, but now you are playing 20 games or so against each league.

I'll have to say that while I still prefer the DH, the proliferation of HRs the last 20 years has made me give a little on the issue.  I'm not really a "HR" type of guy and it really sucks that my team is built that way, because I actually love "small ball."  I used to love to watch the St. Louis Cardinals of the 80s run all over teams asses.  I love a well placed sacrifice bunt to move over a runner or get a guy home.  Sacrifice flies and hitting to the other side to move a runner over. I like teams that "hit" you and "run" you to death.  I think that puts more pressure on pitchers then some guy hitting solo HRs 400 feet.

Two of my favorite things to watch is a guy stealing bases all over the place (Henderson/Coleman types) or a guy legging out a triple in the gap.  As for HR's, the ones I really like are momentum changers, game winners or when you've put up 3 or 4 runs in an inning and A guy just bangs one out to put the nail in the coffin.  Otherwise...meh.

35 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Two of my favorite things to watch is a guy stealing bases all over the place (Henderson/Coleman types) or a guy legging out a triple in the gap.  As for HR's, the ones I really like are momentum changers, game winners or when you've put up 3 or 4 runs in an inning and I guy just bangs one out to put the nail in the coffin.  Otherwise...meh.

While I love seeing majestic moonshots, I actually get disappointed when players like Trea Turner homer--I mean, who hits triples to left field?

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

974 people attended the White Sox/Ray's game yesterday.

Actually paid attendance was 10,377 but still...974 actual people.

MLB needs to contract. It won't happen since the players have all the power...but still.

It's been down all over, but that's really bad--it was also the Sox Home Opener, which is stupid late. But it's been bitterly cold for just about every game outside of southern teams

18 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

974 people attended the White Sox/Rays game yesterday.

Actually paid attendance was 10,377 but still...974 actual people.

MLB needs to contract. It won't happen since the players have all the power...but still.

They’re actually legitimately going to expand and add more clubs in small markets (Portland Oregon) without fixing the underlying problem of revenue disparity between the powerhouse markets (LA, NYC, Boston, etc) and small markets. 

MLB keeps trying to tweak/ruin the game that make it more “interesting” and attract casual fans. You want to draw more fans? Implement NFL style revenue sharing with hard salary caps and salary floors, make it so there are more than 6-8 teams trying to compete in a given year, and draw a ton more fans from the markets where those teams play. Adding more small market teams with the same revenue structure is insane. 

This Ohtani stuff is getting so amazingly crazy, I feel like we're heading for some kind of Alexander/Scarface level ending.

Like, he's gonna be on the mound bottom of the 8th with the game tied, with a single left to complete the cycle, and a perfect game on the line or some ****, and every ligament in his body is gonna spontaneously combust 

Loving seeing the Yankees struggle.  On the flip side of the coin, I hate seeing the Sox get out to a blistering start.

I feel that Yanks/Sox is a rivalry thats good for baseball up until a certain point.  After awhile it gets boring.  But I was glad to see a brawl between them the other day.

Ohtani...unbelievable.  Curious to see what he really settles in as, but for now this is a really fun ride.  I've been watching my Orioles and then catching the Angels games on the west coast.  Partially to see Trout play almost daily, but also to see Ohtani.  It's cool that he's throwing every 7th day, which makes his starts on every Sunday.  Something to look forward to while the Orioles suck.

• 2 weeks later...

I was rooting hard for Colon to get that no hitter the other night.  Amazing he's been around that long.  Vlad just got elected to the Hall of Fame...that means he had an entire HoF career, was able to retire for 5 years, didn't get in on the first ballot and Colon is still pitching.  Jeter has been out of the game for a few years, too. 

44 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

That's a solid list of prospects. Most of them had legit MLB careers.

Brandon Belt's 21 pitch AB yesterday (it took 12:45) was a thing of beauty.

Paul Wilson got Matt Harvey-ed before there was Matt Harvey

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Its been a strange start to the season. A lot of expected contenders are struggling.

Were I not a fan of one of those contenders, I'd be enjoying myself immensely. It's a marathon, though. The cream's gonna rise eventually. Just hope the Nats are among them.

Also, here's Bob Uecker being awesome on "The Tonight Show" - they even mention the last Senators game at RFK Stadium at the top of the interview:

Archived