Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 MLB Thread

Riggo#44

Not buying the "young and dumb" excuses. He was 17, racism and homophobia doesn't just randomly spill out of your mouth at that age.

On a different note, it still surprises me that agents don't have someone on staff dedicated to combing over their clients old social media postings and deleting every damn thing

6 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Not buying the "young and dumb" excuses. He was 17, racism and homophobia doesn't just randomly spill out of your mouth at that age.

Let's ****ing get him!

R5p9G94.gif?noredirect

I dont know about you, but I'm certainly not the same person I was at 17. It was a terrible tweet, he'll be suspended. But let's not pretend like this is Papa John here (that's real racism). It was 7 years ago.

Maybe I'm just burned out on the constant screams of racism/myogyiny/homophobia/xenophobia/transphobia/arachnophobia at the most remote possibility that it could possibly be interpreted as maybe being slightly insensitive. 

Not to start a political debate in the baseball thread or anything.

#Justice4Schwarber 

It wasn't one tweet. It was at least four of them that used the n-word.  Also "I hate gay people" and tweets about picking up and sleeping with "hoes." Just young and so stupid.  

Someone wrote that the first thing an athlete's agent should do is go back into a client's social media history and clean up stuff like that. 

Anyway:

b3hwwfqx0hozrlxgjwbm.Jpg

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Let's ****ing get him!

I dont know about you, but I'm certainly not the same person I was at 17. It was a terrible tweet, he'll be suspended. But let's not pretend like this is Papa John here (that's real racism). It was 7 years ago.

Maybe I'm just burned out on the constant screams of racism/myogyiny/homophobia/xenophobia/transphobia/arachnophobia at the most remote possibility that it could possibly be interpreted as maybe being slightly insensitive. 

Not to start a political debate in the baseball thread or anything.

#Justice4Schwarber 

I'm not really sure he should be suspended

i'm just not here for writing this off as a mistake of youth. At 17, you know when you're putting out racism and homophobia.

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

josh hader's tweets were pretty cut and dry. he didn't leave room for debate

Do not disagree--but I am not going to kill a 17 year old for a stupid tweet. Twitter is already verbally stoning him. And I disagree that he really knew the ramifications of what he was doing. Teenagers are young, emotional, stupid creatures.

I haven't seen the actual tweets.  I will say that there is a huge body of scientific evidence that says, scientifically, 17 year olds are prone to do stupid stuff.  There was actually a recent Supreme Court case on this issue.  After being presented with just a ton of data on how teenage brains work, the main holding in Miller v. Alabama (which was about whether a person under 18 can be sentenced to life in prison w/o parole) was:

Mandatory life without parole for those under age of 18 at the time of their crime violates the 8th Amendment’s prohibition on cruel and unusual punishments ...Mandatory life without parole for a juvenile precludes consideration of his chronological age and its hallmark features – among them, immaturity, impetuosity, and failure to appreciate risks and consequences,"

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/10-9646g2i8.pdf

28 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I haven't seen the actual tweets.  I will say that there is a huge body of scientific evidence that says, scientifically, 17 year olds are prone to do stupid stuff.  There was actually a recent Supreme Court case on this issue.  After being presented with just a ton of data on how teenage brains work, the main holding in Miller v. Alabama (which was about whether a person under 18 can be sentenced to life in prison w/o parole) was:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/10-9646g2i8.pdf

They're bad tweets.  Like, one would have been enough but there are a **** ton of them.

Not surprised about the 17 year old brain.  But that seems to excuse any/all personal responsibility.  Plenty of kids out there know right from wrong.  What Hader tweeted was terrible.  While they were all of those things (immature, impetuous, failure to appreciate risks and consequences), they go beyond that.  They were racist and homophobic.  I don't think anyone would deny that a 17 year old is prone to those aforementioned hallmark features but when they combine that with racist and homophobic rhetoric, you get a glimpse of how a person views others.  

I'm of the belief that you can correct those racist and homophobic beliefs but at one point Hader definitely harbored them.  Whether he still does, who knows.  But they were definitely disturbing tweets.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

They're bad tweets.  Like, one would have been enough but there are a **** ton of them.

Not surprised about the 17 year old brain.  But that seems to excuse any/all personal responsibility.  Plenty of kids out there know right from wrong.  What Hader tweeted was terrible.  While they were all of those things (immature, impetuous, failure to appreciate risks and consequences), they go beyond that.  They were racist and homophobic.  I don't think anyone would deny that a 17 year old is prone to those aforementioned hallmark features but when they combine that with racist and homophobic rhetoric, you get a glimpse of how a person views others.  

I'm of the belief that you can correct those racist and homophobic beliefs but at one point Hader definitely harbored them.  Whether he still does, who knows.  But they were definitely disturbing tweets.

I'm not saying he didn't harbor them when he was 17, I'm saying 17 year old's do dumb **** and then they grow out of it, and they shouldn't be held accountable for anything other than being an idiot when they were 17.  Now, if there was any indication that he continues to harbor those beliefs now, or any time after like 19, then that's a different story. 

If you think some tweets are bad, you probably won't want to hear that I am literally trying to get a murderer paroled because it happened when he was 17.  More info on that:  http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-parole-commission-juveniles-20161014-story.html

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm not saying he didn't harbor them when he was 17, I'm saying 17 year old's do dumb **** and then they grow out of it, and they shouldn't be held accountable for anything other than being an idiot when they were 17.  Now, if there was any indication that he continues to harbor those beliefs now, or any time after like 19, then that's a different story. 

If you think some tweets are bad, you probably won't want to hear that I am literally trying to get a murderer paroled because it happened when he was 17.  More info on that:  http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-parole-commission-juveniles-20161014-story.html

Sitting here talking about baseball and all of a sudden PB wants to make it a dick measuring contest between racist tweets and getting a murderer paroled.  :ols:

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sitting here talking about baseball and all of a sudden PB wants to make it a dick measuring contest between racist tweets and getting a murderer paroled.  :ols:

It a pretty linear argument.  17 year olds do dumb **** (of varying degrees).  They shouldn't pay consequences for it forever.  

And whatever, you are just thankful to be distracted from the Orioles for awhile.  :ols:

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

It a pretty linear argument.  17 year olds do dumb **** (of varying degrees).  They should pay consequences for it forever.  

And whatever, you are just thankful to be distracted from the Orioles for awhile.  

**** no i am not, the Orioles are on the verge of trading Machado.  

People in general are not a logical as we like to think they are and that extends especially to teenagers  (this seems like it fits here:

https://longreads.com/2018/07/17/why-i-lied-in-high-school-about-knowing-karate/).

But I don't seen anybody here really arguing that he should suffer any real penalty.  Thought, that doesn't mean he should also suffer none.   The tweets are pretty bad. 

Maybe he's actually changed and maybe he's not, but has just learned better impulse control.

Archived