Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 MLB Thread

Riggo#44

On 12/15/2017 at 12:58 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

What's the deal with Ohtani? Seems like this has become a bit of a mess

The backtracking is pretty funny. Media is now saying they knew, everyone knew, that, uh, nobody reported it. Yeah. He was ALWAYS an injury risk! We've always been at war with Eastasia!

This is surprising. Not so much what people said, that there were actually people there and upset. Who knew people actually cared about the Marlins: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/marlins-man-derek-jeter-town-hall-mlb-fans-first-pitch?csp=trueanthem&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a3a19ae19694a0007843e1e&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is surprising. Not so much what people said, that there were actually people there and upset. Who knew people actually cared about the Marlins: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/marlins-man-derek-jeter-town-hall-mlb-fans-first-pitch?csp=trueanthem&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a3a19ae19694a0007843e1e&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Love seeing Jeter getting dumped on.  Respected him as a player for sure but for years everyone kissed his ass everywhere he went.  I think athletes think they can move into FO positions and do really well, that it'll be easier than their playing days.  Not necessarily the case.  Glad to see people not giving a **** who he was as a player.  

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Love seeing Jeter getting dumped on.  Respected him as a player for sure but for years everyone kissed his ass everywhere he went.  I think athletes think they can move into FO positions and do really well, that it'll be easier than their playing days.  Not necessarily the case.  Glad to see people not giving a **** who he was as a player.  

The interaction with that Class A Douchebag Marlins Man was priceless though. 

12 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

After talking to a co-worker tonight who has an extremely casual interest in baseball, I'm pretty convinced that Manny and Harper could join the Yankees.  

From a pure entertainment spectacle standpoint, I wouldnt mind seeing a middle of the order of Machado, Harper, Judge, and Stanton just to see what they would do.

25 minutes ago, justice98 said:

From a pure entertainment spectacle standpoint, I wouldnt mind seeing a middle of the order of Machado, Harper, Judge, and Stanton just to see what they would do.

It would be weird.  I'd be pissed off and hating it....but it would be must see tv, too.

You're also forgetting Sanchez in there.  Machado, Harper, Judge, Stanton, Sanchez.  It would be a lineup you'd be telling your kids about.

28 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Giants went from having every move they ever made work out brilliantly to some real head-scratchers...

Make sense defensively. Didn't he just win another GG?

Some more right handed power is what they were seeking too. 

But that's a lot of salary to take on. Good thing they moved Matt Moore.

And they moved Denard Span's 11mil in the deal too. Expect the Giants to get a CF soon. I've heard they really want Billy Hamilton from the Reds.

Hated seeing Arroyo as part of the deal though.

My bad. It's 9mil for Span.

If Longoria can hit 15-20hrs, play solid D (he has 3 GGs), and hit around .260-.275, seems like a decent move for the Giants to me. Hate losing Arroyo but I suspect he was a big part of why the Rays made the trade.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21826902/tampa-bay-rays-trade-evan-longoria-san-francisco-giants

9 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It would be weird.  I'd be pissed off and hating it....but it would be must see tv, too.

You're also forgetting Sanchez in there.  Machado, Harper, Judge, Stanton, Sanchez.  It would be a lineup you'd be telling your kids about.

I wouldn’t watch it at all. If I want to see super teams, I’ll watch that abomination called the NBA.

10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

11 hours ago, justice98 said:

People, people you gotta stop. It’s well past 4 hours and this thing isn’t going away...

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

I wouldn’t watch it at all. If I want to see super teams, I’ll watch that abomination called the NBA.

I get it, but it'd still be interesting to me.  I'm not saying I'd watch them all the time, I'm just saying if they happened to be on tv, I'd tune in.

Dan Le Batard had Commissioner Manfred on his show today.  If you haven't heard the exchange, it got pretty heated.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-mlb-commish-rob-manfred-go-at-it-with-espns-le-batard-im-not-gonna-have-you-call-me-a-liar/

I don't mind Le Batard being upset.  But for him to say baseball has been bad to the Marlins, not necessarily buying it.  The Marlins had a bad owner (Loria) that still managed to bring them two rings.  That's two more rings than the Orioles have had in the same amount of time.  Two more rings than the Expos/Nationals have had.  Two more rings than a team like the Padres, Brewers, etc have had.  It's a point that Manfred, IMO, is correct on.  I'd definitely trade anything the Orioles have done over the past two decades for two rings with some fire sales in between, absolutely.  

Le Batard then grills him on Jeter's plan to trade players and slash payroll, which, again, IMO, Manfred is correct on.  Manfred shouldn't grill any new owner in the vetting process what their plans are for the team as soon as they inherit it.  Le Batard is living in a fantasy world if he thinks the Commissioners office goes into detailed plans about the roster and salaries that a team has to inherit.  

Why's Le Batard unable to let that go?  The interview gets a little carried away when he starts grilling Manfred a second time.  It's painfully obvious that it's not the answer Le Batard wants to hear and he can't let it go.  

13 hours ago, justice98 said:

I'd consider giving up watching baseball if that happened unless the O's were moved to another division. It wouldn't be entertaining at all to me. 

17 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't mind Le Batard being upset.  But for him to say baseball has been bad to the Marlins, not necessarily buying it.  The Marlins had a bad owner (Loria) that still managed to bring them two rings.  That's two more rings than the Orioles have had in the same amount of time.  Two more rings than the Expos/Nationals have had.  Two more rings than a team like the Padres, Brewers, etc have had.  It's a point that Manfred, IMO, is correct on.  I'd definitely trade anything the Orioles have done over the past two decades for two rings with some fire sales in between, absolutely.  

Le Batard then grills him on Jeter's plan to trade players and slash payroll, which, again, IMO, Manfred is correct on.  Manfred shouldn't grill any new owner in the vetting process what their plans are for the team as soon as they inherit it.  Le Batard is living in a fantasy world if he thinks the Commissioners office goes into detailed plans about the roster and salaries that a team has to inherit.  

I have zero sympathy for Marlins fans.  None.  You are a ****ty fan if you can't bother to look around the league and realize that this is how teams become good.  **** LeBetard.  WTF is Manfred supposed to do?  Tell Derek Jeter how to run the team that he owns?

The Cubs lost 91, 101 and 96 games respectively from 2011-2013.  World Series Champions in 2016.  They beat the Indians who had 3 90+ loss seasons in 4 years just prior to getting good.  

Houston lost 106, 107 and 111 games respectively from 2011-2013.  World Series Champions in 2017.  They beat the Dodgers who are one of the few teams that are always good because they keep a $160 million payroll, which the Marlins can't do because their fans suck.  

Royals lost 104, 106 and 100 games respectively from 2004-2006 and then 97 and 95 in 2009 and 2010.  World Series Champions in 2015.  They beat the Mets who averaged 87 losses the previous 6 seasons.

Edit:  The Nats have had no postseason success, but are a perennially good team now .... after seasons of 102, 103 and 94 losses in 2008-10.

Archived