Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

I need to peep both of those diss tracks. Pusha T is infinitely better than Drake in every aspect of music though.

Hell Hath No Fury is such a dope album. I don't like many mainstream records but that is exceptional.

Edited by abdcskins

9 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I need to peep both of those diss tracks. Pusha T is infinitely better than Drake in every aspect of music though.

How? How can you say this? Pusha might be the better technical rapper, but Drake has put out a steady stream of hits and some other songs that don't make the radio. You said infinitely better though. lol

Anyway, Pusha T definitely crushed him on the follow up.

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Drake has always been sing songy to me, catering to the mainstream pop rap genre.  He’s more pop than he is hip hop.

I really don't listen to most of the new cats these days, anyway. Bunch of hummuna-hummuna, bibbity-bibbity-bobbity.... magilla-gorilla, trilla-vanilla-for real-a

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I really don't listen to most of the new cats these days, anyway. Bunch of hummuna-hummuna, bibbity-bibbity-bobbity.... magilla-gorilla, trilla-vanilla-for real-a

Not all new school is created equal. 

Towards previous subject, It never ceases to amaze me how the fact artists like Drake and Nicki can sing and rap is looked down on from the hardcore hip hop community and recognized as very difficult to pull off from the perspective of every other genre and their fanbase. 

If you go into Drake's discography comparing him to Capone-N-Noreaga, you're missing the point.

Edited by Renegade7

@Springfield  again, you're doing it wrong.  I knew he was on Degrassi before I got into his transition to focusing on music, I never expected him to be gangsta, we have enough of that already anyway.

@No Excuses he is corny, and can argue he's like the LL Cool J of the 21st Century with how he panders to females in several of his songs (I don't think that's a bad thing, but he totally does do that).  I don't have a problem with it though, I appreciate him for what he is because I understand what he is and fine with it.  If I want something else, I'll go somewhere else.

He does have some pretty deep stuff (a lot of harder rap artists do as well, but people outside looking in don't see that or look for it).  My biggest gripe with him right now is the "I'm not used to the money" phase was completely understandable, but now that he's passed that, he seems lost as an artist.  The hardest thing for most any artist to do is to grow and evolve while staying true to themselves and their fan base.  Some can pull off eras, like Bowie, but Drake is no Bowie.

Edited by Renegade7

Some of you folks listen to rap/hip-hop... 

The same way as my wife. 

I think of old rock and new rock in a similar way. 

Classics here and there, some songs sound so similar... I just ignore it. 

The only reason to even listen is because you love that sound for a moment. 

Side note : I have songs that I love to listen to while driving.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Not all new school is created equal. 

Towards previous subject, It never ceases to amaze me how the fact artists like Drake and Nicki can sing and rap is looked down on from the hardcore hip hop community and recognized as very difficult to pull off from the perspective of every other genre and their fanbase. 

If you go into Drake's discography comparing him to Capone-N-Noreaga, you're missing the point.

I do nothing but hold them to the standard set by every era before them, that collectively defined the genre. I don't need to hear several songs, or you singing, or your outlook on life, or if you can play the guitar. I need 30-60 seconds to hear you spit, point blank.

There are definitely new school artists that pass that exam. But overall, I'm at a loss as to how some of that sad ass **** gets so much play.

58 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I do nothing but hold them to the standard set by every era before them, that collectively defined the genre. I don't need to hear several songs, or you singing, or your outlook on life, or if you can play the guitar. I need 30-60 seconds to hear you spit, point blank.

There are definitely new school artists that pass that exam. But overall, I'm at a loss as to how some of that sad ass **** gets so much play.

If Hip Hop held itself to the same standard as you do, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I've been wondering how some stuff made it to the radio since at least the turn of millennium, apparently, this is what the people want, even if they say they don't.  I'm bothered by what seems like so many of the mainstream rappers getting slower, but people putting up with it because they like the beats.  Not my call, Hip Hop is so huge, if I don't like what I see I can go find something else.  I agree that at minimum you should be judged by your Bars, but you and I both know that's not what's happening.  Ludacris losing his **** about the lack of marketing for one of his albums was the writing on the wall for the future of the genre.

You'd be surprised how similar conversations we have about mainstream Hip-Hop is being had by people that listen to mainstream Country.  Change a couple nouns and it damn near looks like the same template.  I almost had a falling out with the genre during the great recessions because cats on the radio we're still rapping about how much money they had even while unemployment was skyrocketing and we didn't know what the bottom was yet.  This is not a new problem.  Not that you're saying this, but I'd be weary of putting too much of a premium on how fast someone can spit, otherwise you end up with people in the Mt. Rushmore conversation that frankly shouldn't be there (no disrespect to them).

Oh, speed isn't what I was getting at, though it can be a plus, or a negative, lol. I'm all about substance. What is your message? What is your vessel? What does it look like? Would yiu sound tight if it was s bunch of kids banging on a desk in s clssstoom, or is it your producer? That sort of thing.

Some dudes in the past I could  respect as nothing more than club dudes, and they had a great body of work . I'm talking about the type of sound that puts you in a reflective state of mind. It's not the only branch of hip hop in my mind, but it's what I think about primarily, and in my mind, that is the standard that all others must be held to.

15 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Oh, speed isn't what I was getting at, though it can be a plus, or a negative, lol. I'm all about substance. What is your message? What is your vessel? What does it look like? Would yiu sound tight if it was s bunch of kids banging on a desk in s clssstoom, or is it your producer? That sort of thing.

Some dudes in the past I could  respect as nothing more than club dudes, and they had a great body of work . I'm talking about the type of sound that puts you in a reflective state of mind. It's not the only branch of hip hop in my mind, but it's what I think about primarily, and in my mind, that is the standard that all others must be held to.

: ) I know that's not what you meant, I just added that because the substance issue has been an issue, but rapper slowing down is new.  Some of these bammas on some "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" bs, and making $$$$$.  You call me an idealist, most people don't care about what you're talking about anymore, its crushing, but its true.  And that's another reason why the hate from some on Drake surprises me.  Hip Hop has a misogyny problem that isn't really talked about, then he puts out a video like this:

I feel old as hell when people take songs I grew up with and sample it hard like that (I bought the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill not once, but TWICE), and prefer they not, but stuff like this is why I have no choice but to give him a pass.  He's totally a hybrid, and though that's not what I want the direction of the genre to go, he's a nice change of pace all things considered.  Take Care was a really great album in context, and he had some songs later that touched on the split of his parents, like Too Much.  But like I said earlier, I don't know where he's going as an artist now that he's close to a decade into the hip hop part of his career, and as a person, I'm kinda concerned.

I almost don't feel like defending him in here anymore, he sings too much to really call him a rapper anymore, I'm fine with calling him a pop artist that can rap.  I'm not ready to do the same thing with Nicki yet, but I can see it getting to that point.

Btw, I can't help but smile on this one:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/28/entertainment/eminem-nicki-minaj-dating/index.html

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

I definitely don't like most of those singy/songs Drake puts out, but the man has bars. He might not be the typical elite rappers, but dude has been more consistent than not. Even his bad album (Views) was better than most stuff.

As far as this beef, he actually had something going good with Duppy... I told someone Pusha needed an Ether-type response. He actually pulled it off. Lol

I’ve had Daytona on repeat since MDW, great album. Big Clipse fan here obviously since being from Virginia Beach, I’ve met Pusha T a few times super nice guy. A good friend of mines dad did a lot of work on Pushas house, I’ve seen him live several times and he would come out after preforming at the Norva and talk to people upstairs in the crowd. I’m obviously on Pushas side here I really don’t see how Drake responds, I read a tweet that Drake is willing to pay 100k for information on Pusha. I wouldn’t sleep on Drake though, that back to back song during the Meek beef was all time and turned into a summer hit.