Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

34 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Seriously as what? A gangsta rapper.

If we keep judging fish by whether they climb a tree we'll never respect them.

I can get the Drake hate.  I never really liked him a whole lot, but I can see why others love him and hate him.  I don't really respect the toilet water that he's putting out now that he's calling music, but I appreciate and even listen to some of his older music.  Drake turned wack, when he started trying to fit in with and copy the 21 Savages and Lil Baby's of the world, instead of evolving musically, like some of the other elder statesmen rappers.  Drake is 37, he should stop trying to sound like/fit in with 18-21 year olds musically.  It's not authentic, nor is it appealing.  Nas and Jay-Z have the blueprint to aging gracefully in rap, without trying to desperately fit in with the lean/drill crowd.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

I can get the Drake hate.  I never really liked him a whole lot, but I can see why others love him and hate him.  I don't really respect the toilet water that he's putting out now that he's calling music, but I appreciate and even listen to some of his older music.  Drake turned wack, when he started trying to fit in with and copy the 21 Savages and Lil Baby's of the world, instead of evolving musically, like some of the other elder statesmen rappers.  Drake is 37, he should stop trying to sound like and fit in with 18-21 year olds musically.  It's not authentic, nor is it appealing.  Nas and Jay-Z have the blueprint to aging gracefully in rap, without trying to desperately fit in with the lean/drill crowd.

I agree 100%. And he's not the only artist to do this and this happens in other genres, too (not to defend it, jus something I've noticed being eclectic and context).

What he represented at one time was important, and it felt like Hip Hop didn't know what to do with it.  Now he's jus as cookie cutter as anybody else.

It's funny, but Drake should be trying to steer the current music trend in hip hop away from the lean/drill aspect.  I remember when Jay-Z was the top rapper in the game in the early 2000's, and he changed from the typical thug/drug rapper into a button-up shirt, expensive houses and stock market rapper around the time he made The Black Album.  Remember when the fashion craze in hip hop was throwback jerseys?  Jay-Z literally changed the way people dressed and appeared after The Black Album, and dudes were buying and wearing button-up shirts and cardigans.  Drake should be the main force in hip hop trying to steer us into something better musically (since he's the current top rapper), but this dude just likes to hop on trends, and tries to appeal to the younger demo instead.

He hasn't shown ANY growth in his music, and in fact, he's actually regressing lyrically and musically.  What you rap about when you're 22-28 shouldn't be what you rap about when you're 37, or closer to 40.  He actually had better subject material and introspection as a younger rapper than he does now in this current state.  Nas, Jay-Z, and other rappers older than him were able to evolve musically, and diversify their subject matter in their music.  Drake doesn't know how to do that.

Edited by samy316

I respect Jay-Z so much for putting out songs like DOA...

At same time, Hip Hop fans in general (my opinion here) continously underestimate the power in numbers we have with respect to collective saying "no" to something or really anything...

Go all the way back to 106 and Park days. Closest I can remember to clearly drawing a line was when they pulled a video glorifying running from the cops.

We are the sum of our choices and from my perspective we went too much with the flow, which became like every genre Hip hop is a business now.  What gives me hope is that Country music is going through something similar and more folks are starting to notice, that's half the battle on what to do next.

Even Kendrick Lemar can't pull or push this genre by himself, there's more inertia and complexity to this now then eve  when DOA came out in what, 2009?

17 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I respect Jay-Z so much for putting out songs like DOA...

At same time, Hip Hop fans in general (my opinion here) continously underestimate the power in numbers we have with respect to collective saying "no" to something or really anything...

Go all the way back to 106 and Park days. Closest I can remember to clearly drawing a line was when they pulled a video glorifying running from the cops.

We are the sum of our choices and from my perspective we went too much with the flow, which became like every genre Hip hop is a business now.  What gives me hope is that Country music is going through something similar and more folks are starting to notice, that's half the battle on what to do next.

Even Kendrick Lemar can't pull or push this genre by himself, there's more inertia and complexity to this now then eve  when DOA came out in what, 2009?

You have a point there.  98% of hip hop artists are sheep or followers. They just hop on whatever “wave” or trend that will sell them some records or make them more famous.  I respect J. Cole & Kendrick Lamar, because they’re willing to take chances, and they don’t make a majority of their music for the lowest common denominator.  There used to be more of those kind of artists in the mainstream, but those days are long gone.  Drake is a sheep and a wave hopper.  It’s a shame that he’s the top artist in hip hop, but it definitely makes sense why current hip hop is so uninspiring and unoriginal at the moment.

Edited by samy316

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

marciology-630x630.jpg

My favorite MC, Roc Marciano, just dropped an album.  It's hot.  It has sort of a blunted rock sound to it, lots of unique hazy samples.  He pushes the envelope without going too crazy, keeps it minimalist.  He has a clever braggadocious style mixed with street wisdom.  Self-produces most of his work, with contributions from Alchemist and Animoss on this one.

My top MC list is sort of constantly changing, there are only a handful of MCs that are firmly entrenched in there.  Roc, Ghostface, MF Doom, Rakim, Prodigy make the list.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Drake diss up now. Heard the initial leak version but this is much better. The diss kind of mid to me but I'm pumped for Kendrick to respond. Also, I don't care about Drake dissing future, metro, and ja morant over some women.