Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Springfield said:

The potential GOAT releases a masterpiece of an album and the tailgate has nothing to say?

Potential GOAT? 

Kendrick deserves all the respect in the world, but that's first time I've seem this comment come up.  

I'll listen to it during work next week...

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're kidding, right? 

People have different rankings and criteria for what that means, and to be clear, I'm not saying it's not possible.  So yea, I'm still in wait and see mode since we talking about this, and will give new album a shot and see how I feel after that.

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

People have different rankings and criteria for what that means, and to be clear, I'm not saying it's not possible.  So yea, I'm still in wait and see mode since we talking about this, and will give new album a shot and see how I feel after that.

That’s fine. I mean, I’m not into hip hop like I used to be but the Kendrick Lamar jock sniffing is everywhere. It’s hard to miss. 

It’s a good album. I’m not sure where it ranks compared to his other ones but it’s good. He tackles a lot of issues and it’s going to take a few listens to sort it all out.  To me, that’s what sets him apart from someone like Jack Harlow (who just released an album). Harlow is a dry McDonald’s cheeseburger compared to Lamar’s Peter Luger filet. 

I once heard a comedian talking about how he had some new material that he was trying out. And before playing a big show in an amphitheater or stadium, he was working his new material in a small club. He wasn’t so sure about his material and he felt like the small club crowd were laughing TOO hard at his jokes. Like, he thought his stuff was alright, but not THAT great to where people were laughing that hard. 

And he felt like he could have said anything and they would have laughed that hard. They were going to laugh no matter what because it was HIM and not what his material was.  They wanted to laugh at anything he had to say. 

In a way, I wonder if that’s where Kendrick Lamar is. I wonder if he’s in a place where he could put out anything and people would gobble it up and call it the most amazing album ever.  It seems as if the critics already had their reviews written weeks and months ago and had to fill in some blanks with pertinent details. People have been ready to hype this album for literally years and I don’t think anyone was going to be disappointed no matter what he put out. 

• Like 1

I'll listen to it with open ears and come back with an opinion.  I'm driving down to San Diego on Tuesday so I'll have time.  I am honestly not that familiar with dude's work, I was gonna start with Section.80 but I'll fast forward to this.

9 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

In a way, I wonder if that’s where Kendrick Lamar is. I wonder if he’s in a place where he could put out anything and people would gobble it up and call it the most amazing album ever.  It seems as if the critics already had their reviews written weeks and months ago and had to fill in some blanks with pertinent details. People have been ready to hype this album for literally years and I don’t think anyone was going to be disappointed no matter what he put out. 

Exactly.

Hip Hop has clearly won in regards to its place in American culture.  It's the dominant music genre, nearly every TV commercial now is either some variation of a hip hip beat or a straight sample.

Electronica remixes for whatever reason bring on random rappers, country music stars brag about listening to hip hop mixtapes in some of their songs (see Florida Georgia Line), the goto cameo for pop stars is rappers now.

But despite Hip Hop being this giant ocean, the talent pool is clearly diluted from what it was even ten years ago, let alone 20 or 30.  So even though Kendrick comes out like this breath of fresh air every once in a while, he still has to put his body of work up against anyone else in the GOAT conversation jus the same.

It's not like he's carrying the genre, it's a self-feeding hurricane now.  For better or worse, Hip Hop no longer needs that because of its acceptance in American and even global culture.

Wasn't feeling the new Kendrick album. The beats were really layered and had lots of switch-ups. Sounded like there was live instrumentation on a lot of the songs too. But way too much R&B autotuned singing type **** - that isn't the type of hip hop I like. I don't like those drums either with the quick snares. I also much prefer it when Kendrick straight raps as opposed to doing all that weird ****. He has a lot of different cadences which is kind of dope, but sometimes his voice gets drowned out. As I get older I appreciate rappers that enunciate with clear deliveries so I can digest the lyrics. He has a real quick flow. Definitely uses his voice as an instrument. Father Time was a powerful song with a poignant topic. Overall though I can't see myself returning to this album.

I listened to some of Section 80 and enjoyed that a bit more. Rigamortus was nice as was Kush & Corinthians. 

On another note, there is a new Blackstar & Madlib album. I haven't heard it yet.

• Like 1

https://pitchfork.com/news/danger-mouse-and-black-thought-announce-new-album-cheat-codes-share-new-song-listen/

Black Thought and Danger Mouse album coming this summer.  Could be epic.  Black Thought is a top 25 MC all-time, and that isn't really up for debate.  I have him in my top 10.  Danger Mouse isn't my favorite producer or anything, but he is highly accomplished.  

• 5 weeks later...

Saw Rakim and DJ Quik last night. Highlight was Black Thought coming on stage during Rakim's set and tearing it down, his stage presence is phenomenal, such a strong voice. Rakim played all the classics, a bunch from Paid in Full. Move the Crowd was a favorite and It's Been a Long Time. He doesn't have a super strong presence anymore but a steady flow and breath control. Such a legend glad I got to see him. DJ Jazzy Jeff was on the tables.

I'm not all that familiar with DJ Quik's music but the vibe in the building was very west coast being in LA and all. He was working the beats and the mic at the same time. Suga Free was rapping with him for most of the set. Cool to see.

Edited by abdcskins

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 3:41 AM, abdcskins said:

https://pitchfork.com/news/danger-mouse-and-black-thought-announce-new-album-cheat-codes-share-new-song-listen/

Black Thought and Danger Mouse album coming this summer.  Could be epic.  Black Thought is a top 25 MC all-time, and that isn't really up for debate.  I have him in my top 10.  Danger Mouse isn't my favorite producer or anything, but he is highly accomplished.  

s-l400.jpg

It dropped.  It is really good.  Beats have lots of variety and switch-ups.  Bars for days.

Alchemist & Roc Marciano coming in a couple of weeks.

• Thumb up 1