Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

I don't check for hip-hop nearly as much as I used to, but I won't lie....I can't wait to get home later tonight and give Damn. a listen.  But forget all of that for a second.  Let's talk about the quality of product Kendrick Lamar ROUTINELY releases.  Starting with Section.80, going to GCMC, TPAB, and now DAMN.  What he's pulled off in his career should be admired and celebrated.  IMO, no filler or garbage.  Just straight artistry and the man keeps getting better and better with his craft. 

I remember when Lauryn Hill dropped Miseducation back in the day.  The bar was set SO high following that release that I thought that it would be near impossible for her to top with any future projects.  You can make a case that everything went downhill for her from there.  I haven't seen any sort of fall off from Kendrick no matter how close to perfection I think one of his projects is. 

Jay-Z, for his past greatness, to me, has fallen off...that's to be expected.  You can make the same argument for many guys who are thought of to be in the top-5 rappers of all time list who are still around.  It's no disrespect, but rather how interests/priorities have changed as they've gotten older.  We grasp to their hits from yesteryear because that's when they were at their best. 

The game has changed and there is so much garbage out there.  I wouldn't dare mention some of these new cats out there dropping music as good lyricists/artists/etc.  They serve their purpose as far as getting folks hype, but none of the music they drop has any sort of staying potential.  They'll be forgotten. 

Kendrick, right now, is on another level.  From all I've been reading about DAMN., it's got the potential to be a classic.  Each time I think Kendrick has put the bar so high, he puts out another project that raises it.  If ANYONE wants to crown him as the GOAT or put him in the top 3-5 best ever to do it, you'd get no argument from me.  He's just that good. 

*edit*

Made a quick thread title change...Conversations have branched off from Kendrick.  A lot of us on here like hip-hop, so maybe we can just keep this thread to discuss ANYTHING involving the genre. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

I honestly don't know one of that guys songs. 

I generally only rock older rap music. So much garbage came out over the last 15 years...not even worth listening to. 

It's all the same rinse and repeat it seems these days. 

Maybe I will give it a shot. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I honestly don't know one of that guys songs. 

I generally only rock older rap music. So much garbage came out over the last 15 years...not even worth listening to. 

It's all the same rinse and repeat it seems these days. 

Maybe I will give it a shot. 

Ya should, I'm impressed with his pipes.

15 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

....please tell me you're referencing the quote from the Kendrick album and that's not what you actually got from these posts 

My apologies. It was the post before yours. You just brought up the hypocrisy of the other poster.

I stand by what I said though.

Edited by DM72

I have the album on my phone.  HUMBLE is easily the song of the year so far.  Love the Mike Will Made It beat and the K Dot rap is on point.  Can't wait to get off work to check it out.  Had it preordered since I heard about a surprise album release.

Kendrick is already in the conversation with Biggie, Pac, Eminem, Jay Z, Nas, etc as far as I'm concerned.

There are actually a few "new school" acts out there that I really like.  Kendrick, J Cole, Big Sean, Pusha T, Schoolboy Q, even crazy ass Kanye for that matter.  The new trap style is starting to grow on me a bit as I try to cling to what bit of youth I still have left.

Also, you should have titled this thread:  "Kendrick Lamar just dropped the biggest album since Good Kid Maad City, enjoy"

Edited by Springfield

13 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I've listen to Kendrick here and there, but never gave any of his albums a full listen. I don't listen to much hip-hop anymore, but so many people have been raving about this one that I may give it a shot now. 

I think a lot of what you're hearing is anticipation for this album based on Kendrick's reputation as well as the two recently released singles.

Id wait until there is a consensus before checking this album out if you're getting into K Dot.  I'd recommend Good Kid Maad City.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

....and yep, here we go. You just called Jay out for not living the life (which isn't true) while posting a Nas song lol. He did the exact same thing you're accusing Jay of. 

hip hop threads are always wild on this board. 

Damn (no pun,) I was late to the party...wish I saw what was said LOL.

You ain't lying about rap threads being wild on here...I remember getting into a debate w/ someone on this board who was arguing that DMX...yes, that DMX, was a top-10 rapper of all time.  hahahahahhahahahah

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

Damn (no pun,) I was late to the party...wish I saw what was said LOL.

You ain't lying about rap threads being wild on here...I remember getting into a debate w/ someone on this board who was arguing that DMX...yes, that DMX, was a top-10 rapper of all time.  hahahahahhahahahah

It was probably me.

Don't **** with my man D.  Talk about living the life.  Dude never stopped.  There was a member of this board who had some crazy DMX stories.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

It was probably me.

Don't **** with my man D.  Talk about living the life.  Dude never stopped.  There was a member of this board who had some crazy DMX stories.

Nah, bro...don't think it was you.  We keep our arguments strictly PK/Carlson LOL. 

Rosenberg...