Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Listen to Recovery and say he didn’t change. Imo it’s his best album. Not a lot of shock value like his earlier stuff. 

Ya, "25 to Life", "Love the Way You Lie", and "Spacebound" are really good songs and sound nothing like "Hi, My name is...".

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, "25 to Life", "Love the Way You Lie", and "Spacebound" are really good songs and sound nothing like "Hi, My name is...".

Yep, Talkin 2 Myself and Never Over are great as well. 

Then there were regular hype type tracks like No Love and Not Afraid and Wont Back Down to all sounded different from his earlier stuff with some of the Eminem bravado

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wait, I just got to the track where he samples Joan Jett.  This is terrible.  

Not a fan of ANY of his rock samples.

The album is decent to me.  Not on the level of Damn.

I do like that hes using some trap beats in some of his stuff.  Would have loved a Mike Will or Metro Boomin track in there.

• 1 month later...

Good lord woke up in 2003 today. Ja Rule going back at 50 Cent on Twitter like nobody's business.

He must've asked Alexa to play early 2000s hits and Back Down came on.

On 12/15/2017 at 10:16 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Listening to the new Eminem, not bad.

I will say - and I'm probably in the minority on this- I largely hate features.  I'm not listneing to an Eminem album to hear songs featuring Ed Sheeran, Alicia Keys, Pink or Beyonce.  I don't want to hear them.  I don't like them.  

I 100% agree. One guest tops. These songs with 8 dudes...if I wanted to listen to Wu Tang I'd listen to Wu Tang.

Em’s new album draws a “meh” from me.  I listened a couple times.  Nothing great.  I’d give it a 2.5 or 3 out of 5.

One album I’m really digging is NERD’s new album.  More pop than rap, but it’s really got some great songs on it.  I’ve listened several times.

Saw this on Reddit, had to share:

http://time.com/5112061/china-hip-hop-ban-tattoos-television/

'Tasteless, Vulgar and Obscene.' China Just Banned Hip-Hop Culture and Tattoos From Television

China has banned hip-hop culture and actors with tattoos from appearing on television.

The country’s top media regulator — the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television of the People’s Republic of China (SAPPRFT) — now “specifically requires that programs should not feature actors with tattoos [or depict] hip hop culture, sub-culture (non-mainstream culture) and dispirited culture (decadent culture),” Sina, a Chinese news outlet, reports.

Gao Changli, director of the administration’s publicity department, outlined four “Don’t” rules on Friday:

Absolutely do not use actors whose heart and morality are not aligned with the party and whose morality is not noble
Absolutely do not use actors who are tasteless, vulgar and obscene
Absolutely do not use actors whose ideological level is low and have no class
Absolutely do not use actors with stains, scandals and problematic moral integrity

• 2 weeks later...

New Evidence album is dope.  This track is bonkers, Alchemist with the ill beat of course.  Mach Hommy is one of the more unique MCs to emerge in the hip hop scene recently.  And Evidence is one of the most consistent hip hop artists in the past decade imo.

• 2 weeks later...

New Black Panther album is some fire. ? 

I don’t know how Kendrick Lamar can’t be top 5 or even top 3 at this point.  There isn’t really I can put over him without the bias of their career ending before they had a chance to fade.  Kendrick has been going from almost 10 years and keeps bringing it.

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

I don’t know how Kendrick Lamar can’t be top 5 or even top 3 at this point.  There isn’t really I can put over him without the bias of their career ending before they had a chance to fade.  Kendrick has been going from almost 10 years and keeps bringing it.

Because, when compared... he is not that great. 

His recent performance on something... weak. 

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Because, when compared... he is not that great. 

His recent performance on something... weak. 

Tupac, not great.  Biggie holds up and Big Pun hold up.  Big Pun’s later stuff was starting to sound too poppy though.

Eminem, he had a good 5 year run but his stuff past Encore is not great.  Nas had 3 good albums and the rest of his stuff was decent.  Andre 3000 had 5 good years.

Kendrick has had a hell of a run.  Section 80 and Pimp a Butterfly are both modern greats.  Good Kid Mad City and Damn are top 10’s.  Then there’s the untitled album, this new Black Panther, and COUNTLESS features.  He’s like biggie was back in the day when you knew that any song featuring biggie would automatically be better with him.

Put up Good Kid Mad City and Damn up against any other rapper’s top 2 albums and throw in Pimp a Butterfly if you feel so inclined.

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

Tupac, not great.  Biggie holds up and Big Pun hold up.  Big Pun’s later stuff was starting to sound too poppy though.

Eminem, he had a good 5 year run but his stuff past Encore is not great.  Nas had 3 good albums and the rest of his stuff was decent.  Andre 3000 had 5 good years.

Kendrick has had a hell of a run.  Section 80 and Pimp a Butterfly are both modern greats.  Good Kid Mad City and Damn are top 10’s.  Then there’s the untitled album, this new Black Panther, and COUNTLESS features.  He’s like biggie was back in the day when you knew that any song featuring biggie would automatically be better with him.

Put up Good Kid Mad City and Damn up against any other rapper’s top 2 albums and throw in Pimp a Butterfly if you feel so inclined.

Outkast* 

TPAB is better than Damn. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tell me there's no justice in this world.  Had no idea this bamma was already in Jail:

Martin Shkreli Ordered to Forfeit His Secret Wu-Tang Clan Album to the US Government

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Martin-Shkreli-Ordered-to-Forfeit-His-Secret-Wu-Tang-Clan-Album-to-the-US-Government-475848103.html

The U.S. government became an accidental rap mogul on Monday, winning an order to seize two rare albums from "Pharma Bro" and convicted fraudster Martin Shkreli. 

In 2015, the brash pharmaceutical executive bought the only known copy of the Wu-Tang Clan's "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin" for $2 million. He later got into a public dispute with members of the rap group, at one point releasing a bizarre video in which he -- surrounded by masked men -- threatened to erase Ghostface Killah from the album entirely. 

In late 2016, he claimed to have acquired the only copy of Lil Wayne's unreleased "Tha Carter V," even playing what he said was part of the album's first track online. 

In August, Shkreli was convicted of securities fraud, and he's now in jail awaiting sentencing. A judge revoked his bail in September after he publicly offered $5,000 for a lock of Hillary Clinton's hair. 

The government, in papers filed in federal court in Brooklyn last December, said it wanted Shkreli to forfeit some $7.4 million in assets pursuant to his conviction.

A federal judge granted that motion on Monday and ordered the forfeiture. The forfeiture list included a brokerage account and a Picasso painting as well. 

Shkreli's lawyer Ben Brafman has previously said that forfeiture was "not an appropriate remedy" because none of Shkreli's investors lost money.

Shkreli is due to be sentenced on Friday, and faces the possibility of a decade in prison. 

• 1 month later...

I know in this genre and culture we talk about who's the best at any given moment (considering its built into it).  I don't see how you can make an argument against Kendrick being on top right now (best ever is different conversation and not what I'm saying).  I'm really proud of that guy, and I'm fine with him being brought into the Mt. Rushmore conversation.  I was reluctant even after DAMN, but he's doing stuff that separate him from just being any old Hip-Hop artist, even a good one.