Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

MBDTF was a fantastic album.  One of the best of that year.  I think Late Registration is one of the best album ever made in any genre.

Kanye has a talent for creating ambitious narrative and musical themes that I don't think any other hip hop artist can match.  He's also got a knack for capturing amazing and memorable feature performances from other hip hop artists that are better than their solo work.  I'm thinking people like Niki Minaj and Paul Wall and The Game.

So random...I heard this song a few weeks back and I was blown away by the hook.  Saw the vid and had NO clue this was the dude from Rae Sremmurd.  I can do w/ out French rapping, but man...Swae Lee has got a fantastic voice.  Banger right here...video is beautiful visually also. 

*NSFW (language)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

DMX is the best rapper, master p the most impactful

DMX ruined his career, out of that list though, I have to agree. 

Master P sucked. 

Name a P song of impact. Not on his roster him. 

If you want a country rapper that had impact you have to start with Wayne, Baby, Luda, etc. 

Baby gets more credit. 

Luda has better individual tracks. 

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

DMX ruined his career, out of that list though, I have to agree. 

Master P sucked. 

Name a P song of impact. Not on his roster him. 

If you want a country rapper that had impact you have to start with Wayne, Baby, Luda, etc. 

Baby gets more credit. 

Luda has better individual tracks. 

I was thinking more of P's influence on rap and hip-hop in general, not necessarily his rapping skills. as a rapper, he would be last on that list

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

How about this list:

DMX

Master P

Nelly

Ja Rule

Ludacris

50 Cent

What's this list about? 

I see a bunch of sub-par rappers who had a HUGE influence in one way or another in their primes. 

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You can think 808s wasn't a masterpiece, that's an acceptable position I suppose, it wasn't for everyone. However, MBDTF is pretty much unassailable as an all timer. 

Production-wise, it's a masterpiece.  Lyricism, nope. 

I actually think the album is overrated, TBH. 

A lot of hype because it's Kanye, but when looking at the overall product, I think it falls short.  I wouldn't dare mention it as one of the best all-time. 

8 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

What's this list about? 

I see a bunch of sub-par rappers who had a HUGE influence in one way or another in their primes. 

That was the main gist of it.  They were all massively successful in their time.  Average.  I will say that a few were unique in their cadence.  Ludacris' style, with how he emphasizes certain syllables is remarkable.  DMX, while basic as ****, had a certain grimeyness that captured audiences.

No way are any of the above on my list for goat though.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Spaceships is one of my favorite songs by him.  You right, he too far gone, he ain't neva comin back : (

This joint is SO underrated:

& here's my favorite Kanye produced track:

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

So, a couple weeks in, have to say that Damn is the best album out in a long while.  Nearly perfect from start to finish.  Still on rotation.

Not one skippable track, IMO. 

I want XXX at the Grammys.  Just hearing Kendrick's voice/message only to have Bono come on....whoa boy. 

• Like 2

Two interesting notes about Damn.

1.  Humble was a beat made originally for Gucci Mayne, for when he got out of jail.  He didn't want it so Kendrick took it, and almost gave the song to Mike Will Made It for his recent album.

2. DNA was performed acapella and Mike Will Made It formed the song around it.  He though that the last verse went SO hard that he switched the beat up.  With that we got a huge banger.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Childish Gambino is sneaky good at what he does

Dude raps as a hobby and is better than 98% of the cats that are out there.  If you haven't heard his mixtapes, they're amazing.  Culdesac is my personal fave of his.

*Also....you won't find too many people more talented than Donald Glover.  His work on Atlanta is nothing short of brilliant. 

• Like 1

Just now, RonArtest15 said:

Dude raps as a hobby and is better than 98% of the cats that are out there.  If you haven't heard his mixtapes, they're amazing.  Culdesac is my personal fave of his.

*Also....you won't find too many people more talented than Donald Glover.  His work on Atlanta is nothing short of brilliant. 

Ya, been going through some of his tracks recently, and like how a couple of them he runs right through where you'd expect a chorus to be and keeps rapping.  Thought that was the same guy, need to make time to check out that show now.

Ya know, I know Drake and Nicki Minaj get a lot of crap (sometimes deservedly so), but they both can rap and I have respect for their range given they can sing as well, and those songs are good, too.  Both are very talented, but sometimes I feel the fact they sing gets held against them in regards to where they stand in hip hop, especially compared to other hip hop stars.  So glad Nicki dropped that Barbie crap, and like it or not, Drake is a hit making machine right now.