Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

• 1 month later...

Sickle Cell sucks, man.

I was thinking about bumping this thread after I heard Jay-Z got inducted into Song Writers Hall of Fame, first hiphop artist to do so.  Was listening to an NPR interview, and he mentioned how when he was younger and selling, he had to go longer and longer memorizing rhymes to come home and put in his notebook.  Elite level memory, very talented cat.

• Like 1

A tremendous loss.  The Infamous is my favorite album of all time.  Prodigy's rhymes and storytelling on that album are incredibly vivid and emotive.  Matches the gritty and dreary beats.  Hell on Earth is also in my top 25 albums of all time.  He lost a bit of his gusto the last 5+ years but the guy was a great MC.  RIP Prodigy.

His last good album, released in 2013.  Excellent production from Alchemist as well.

220px-Prodigy_Albert_Einstein1.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

The Infamous is without a doubt a top-10 rap album of all time.  Lost a legend today. 

the man was 19 when he laid down one of the greatest verses in hip-hop history

part of the reason i dont excuse rappers today because of their ages

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just got 4:44.  Hearing good things about it.  I was hesitant to DL the album due to how bad I thought MCHG was.  Will probably listen to the joint when mowing the lawn tomorrow.  If anyone has it, I'd love to hear your opinions on Jay's work. 

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

Just got 4:44.  Hearing good things about it.  I was hesitant to DL the album due to how bad I thought MCHG was.  Will probably listen to the joint when mowing the lawn tomorrow.  If anyone has it, I'd love to hear your opinions on Jay's work. 

Did you do this legally?

Ok, listened to 4:44 this morning.  2nd best rap project I've heard this year behind DAMN.  I bought MCHG a few years back ONLY off the strength of it being Jay-Z album and was severely underwhelmed at the content.  I was a bit hesitant to get 4:44 at first, but Jay's lyricism and metaphors are on another level.  This album is only 35 minutes long, but it's DEEP.  He's really preaching here and hopefully his message resonates with those looking for some sort of direction. 

On 5/11/2017 at 1:10 PM, Renegade7 said:

Immortal Technique is another one that comes to mind in terms of talented rappers that refused to compromise their values for Record Sales, making them hard to market.  A lot of songs I've heard from him are kinda dark, but I don't think he cares.

Had the world in his hand waiting for him to grab it like 10 years ago, all types of buzz, and then just nothing. He dropped the ball. He didn't need to change anything. Just needed to step up

Didn't. Barely remember the details but I know people were waiting forever for an album that never came. Not even sure he's still alive tbh. 

Just looked is up. It was actually 15 years ago. The 5 year gap waiting on the 3rd World album. Maybe it wasn't his fault. Idk. But his buzz was crazy for a minute and be did nothing with it. 

• Like 1

Listen to him body this track...all of them body it actually.  Elzhi is super underrated, another underground MC that would murk 95% of mainstream rappers.  Black Milk is one of my favorite producers.  Detroit has so many good hip hop artists it's crazy.

• Like 2

"I'm not black, I'm OJ......OK."

Yall have to watch the footnotes to The Story of OJ.  Some real sobering material from Van Jones, Chris Rock, Kendrick Lamar, etc.  The video, which was just posted to youtube, is powerful. 

Still blown by 4:44. 

Just getting into 4:44. Jay's flow is dead, but I like what he talking about. Of course, he did get on Common for making music like this and now he doing it.

Just glad that Jay finally sounds like an adult.

On 6/20/2017 at 4:14 PM, RonArtest15 said:

The Infamous is without a doubt a top-10 rap album of all time.  Lost a legend today. 

I found out that the album was the first project Havoc produced.

RIP P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd post four of my favorite hip hop songs.  So much underground hip hop gets no exposure (guess that's why it is underground).  I feel like a lot of people miss out.  Hope you enjoy.  As an aside, both O.C. and Cormega would be in my top 10 MCs ever.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Shows how long its been for me since I've dipped into the present day pool. Been a fan of Royce for a long time. And im not sure wtf to think of Ma$e anymore lol. Last I heard of him before this he split from Bad Boy on Hot97 years ago.

He is a pastor in Atlanta now.

Cam dissed Mase in his new album and I guess Mase had to answer back.

• Like 1