Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Syria chemical attack victims gassed as they slept

visionary

In today’s world, we’re threatened less by evil empires and more by failing states. The Middle East is going through a transformation that will play out for a generation, rooted in conflicts that date back millennia.

We also can’t try to take over and rebuild every country that falls into crisis. That’s not leadership; that’s a recipe for quagmire, spilling American blood and treasure that ultimately weakens us. It’s the lesson of Vietnam, of Iraq — and we should have learned it by now.

Fortunately, there’s a smarter approach, a patient and disciplined strategy that uses every element of our national power. It says America will always act, alone if necessary, to protect our people and our allies; but on issues of global concern, we will mobilize the world to work with us, and make sure other countries pull their own weight.

That’s our approach to conflicts like Syria, where we’re partnering with local forces and leading international efforts to help that broken society pursue a lasting peace.

https://medium.com/@ObamaWhiteHouse/president-obama-s-2016-state-of-the-union-address-7c06300f9726

edit - I am so torn on this. I want the US of A to immediately put on its Superman outfit and end the killing of civilians in Syria ... but I dont want us to be the world police every time there is a regional conflict that does not threaten the US of A. 

There are truly some disgraceful "humans" on this planet. 

I'm being dead serious. Who's ever responsible for this deserves to be thrown into a pit of the most venomous snakes on the planet.

13 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Children being bombed the conventional way is better?

Yes.

When they are blown apart with American made bombs from our state of the art steath planes they are collateral damage which is an acceptable loss in war. 

Gassing them with weapons made somewhere else is terrible because...

wait I forgot where this was going....I know there must be some massive difference to fire up our national outrage as opposed to US jets bombing schools.

50 minutes ago, Hersh said:

There isn't a soul on this board that was super complimentary of Obama's handling of Syria and the fact that you take the opportunity during a chemical attack to make smart*** remarks speaks volumes. You should put your shovel down and climb out of this hole while you still can. 

Truly, we live in the era of the troll.

6 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

No but using chemical warfare is a slap all the United Nations.

its a "whatcha gonna do about it" statement that too many are trying lately.

What are we going to do?

1. Destroy Syria's runways?

Russia gave Syria the S-300 anti-aircraft missile system. 

The missile system the Russians are touting is an excellent ambush weapon that adds a significant threat to U.S. air operations in Syria, unless American leaders are willing to accept a few losses, O'Hanlon said. Even if U.S. aircraft use radar jamming devices, the S-300, which works in a network connected by fiber-optic cables, can develop a picture of the battle space using the signal of U.S. aircraft trying to jam enemy radar.

"It can easily shoot down a U.S. fighter jet with virtually no warning," he said. "I’ve never heard an American military or intelligence official poo poo the S-300."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/10/05/russia-aircraft-syria/91605608/

2. Establish safe zones?

I guess. Wont do anything to stop attacks on civilians not in the safe zone. Not even sure if that is possible to patrol and enforce given the S-300. 

3. ???????????

5 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Yes.

When they are blown apart with American made bombs from our state of the art steath planes they are collateral damage which is an acceptable loss in war. 

Gassing them with weapons made somewhere else is terrible because...

wait I forgot where this was going....I know there must be some massive difference to fire up our national outrage as opposed to US jets bombing schools.

I get your point, but...everybody understands the difference between chemical weapons and conventional weapons.  And that includes you.  But just in case...

Conventional weapons are used frequently, with great justification and great accuracy, and without children casualties.  Everyday, really.

Chemical weapons pretty much always produce children casualties and are really never justified.  

Stay focused, bro.

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I get your point, but...everybody understands the difference between chemical weapons and conventional weapons.  And that includes you.  But just in case...

Conventional weapons are used frequently, with great justification and great accuracy, and without children casualties.  Everyday, really.

Chemical weapons pretty much always produce children casualties and are really never justified.  

Stay focused, bro.

Dude .. Syria has been dropping barrel bombs from helicopters on apartments and hospitals ..... how accurate or justified can that be. 

Skip to 2:09 ... 

9 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

What are we going to do?

1. Destroy Syria's runways?

Russia gave Syria the S-300 anti-aircraft missile system. 

The missile system the Russians are touting is an excellent ambush weapon that adds a significant threat to U.S. air operations in Syria, unless American leaders are willing to accept a few losses, O'Hanlon said. Even if U.S. aircraft use radar jamming devices, the S-300, which works in a network connected by fiber-optic cables, can develop a picture of the battle space using the signal of U.S. aircraft trying to jam enemy radar.

"It can easily shoot down a U.S. fighter jet with virtually no warning," he said. "I’ve never heard an American military or intelligence official poo poo the S-300."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/10/05/russia-aircraft-syria/91605608/

2. Establish safe zones?

I guess. Wont do anything to stop attacks on civilians not in the safe zone. Not even sure if that is possible to patrol and enforce given the S-300. 

3. ???????????

I think a poster above mentioned uniting the UN against Syrian government and Russia if need be. 

I dont know man im no expert in these things. I just know standing by drinking coffee in the morning and floating on airplanes in cushy ol USA doesn't feel right when babies are dying in Syria because of bad politics. 

2 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Dude .. Syria has been dropping barrel bombs from helicopters on apartments and hospitals ..... how accurate or justified can that be. 

Skip to 2:09 ... 

I am aware of that.  ASF's post clearly referenced American smart bombs...there is a huge difference.  Barrel bombs from Syria less so, but there's still a difference.  Barrel bombs aren't killing folks a half mile downwind.

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I am aware of that.  ASF's post clearly referenced American smart bombs...there is a huge difference.  Barrel bombs from Syria less so, but there's still a difference.  Barrel bombs aren't killing folks a half mile downwind.

Our smart bombs destroyed a school last month. But that's beside the point entirely, Americans accept blowing people to bits, but gassing them is over the line. All we have to say when we blow kids up is "collateral damage" and all of the sudden it's ok. The arbitrary lines everyone draws around the wanton destruction of life just annoys me.

5 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Our smart bombs destroyed a school last month. But that's beside the point entirely, Americans accept blowing people to bits, but gassing them is over the line. All we have to say when we blow kids up is "collateral damage" and all of the sudden it's ok. The arbitrary lines everyone draws around the wanton destruction of life just annoys me.

Do you believe we are deliberately targeting children?

Do you understand that using chemical weapons is deliberately targeting children?

Simple yes or no, please.

Okay great, who is going to be the first to volunteer to send their children to die in the Syrian civil war?

thats the acid test for me. I am all for sanctions and diplomacy but really hope that we don't go sticking our noses in here. We've had enough war in the past 20 years to last for several generations

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

Huh?? Children dying because of a chemical attack is part of Obama's legacy.

Heres' a thought.

Blame those who did it.

this ridiculous bull**** iof always trying to score political points at literally ANY expense is asinine.

win this war?

**** all, we can't even stop warring among ourselves. it's too much fun to play idiotic blame games while these jackasses do whatever the **** they want. Making sure whichever side wins the propaganda war against OURSELVES is more important.

As a result, we are doomed to die of our own obstinate stupidity. we have been divided, and you know what comes after that. (except it's HIS fault, so it's OK. Literally being "dead right" is the best goal.)

Look how easy it is for one of the most obviously evil men on the planet to get us to forget what HE did to snipe at each other.

****ing disgraceful.

~Bang

4 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

edit - I am so torn on this. I want the US of A to immediately put on its Superman outfit and end the killing of civilians in Syria ... but I dont want us to be the world police every time there is a regional conflict that does not threaten the US of A. 

This cannot be said enough.  People everywhere need to decide which one we want.  Because you can't have both.  And like @zoony said, who wants to volunteer their children to go over and fix it.

i do think this will show what a worthless piece of crap organization the UN is.  If they can even agree on sending a strongly worded letter to send, I'll be shocked.  But Russia will veto anything.  The UN is great in theory.  Not so much in practice.

Archived