Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen, Scot McCloughlan, Jay Gruden, and all that stuff like that there

6 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That is some bull**** managerial impotence right here. So you hired a ticking timebomb of a GM... Ok, fine.

But you let this **** detonate on the FIRST ****ING DAY OF FREE AGENCY!!!!!!!! Are you ****ting me? Hey I know what would be fun, let's take a look at the calendar and figure out which of the 365 days available to us would be the absolute worst to give the appearance of being an organization in disrepair. ****ing Redskins.

Maybe Goodell mandated it - it sure as hell looks like his usual "time to punish the Redskins" timing... :-)

4 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

But honestly it was written from the beginning that Scot wouldn't last. Weirdly our fanbase invested so much emotionally on him being godlike that it's been weird. 

I don't sense that the fans are pissed because it was SM,  but because they know we're about to be without a GM for the foreseeable future and right during the period when we most need one. 

Could the timing have been worse?

This organization truly is a ****show. 

LOVERRO: Remember when Allen was going to fix Redskins?

Bruce Allen has now come to represent the opposite of everything that his father, George Allen, symbolized to Redskins fans — glory, success, winning.

The son’s legacy is shame, failure, losing.

Bruce Allen’s arrival was hailed as the start of the era of professionalism, and the end of the era of the Clown Prince of Redskins Park, Vinny Cerrato.

During his stint from 2002 to 2009, Cerrato’s record was 52-65.

Bruce Allen’s reign at Redskins Park? A record of 45-66-1.

Soon there will be a Bruce Allen press conference at Redskins Park, like the ones that have taken place since he arrived more than seven years ago, a symbol of the organization’s proud tradition who would bring order to the Redskins chaos, the savior who would take the “dys” out of dysfunction.”

There will be words that will come out of his mouth like these words shortly after taking over as general manager near the end of the 2009 season: “I haven’t felt the pain that has been associated with 4-9. Starting today, I feel the pain. I look forward to talking with the coaches, the personnel people, and having them explain to me their thoughts on what occurred.”

And these words in December 2013, after Shanahan was fired: “I feel very responsible. I think I said that at the beginning that everyone here feels responsible, and in my position it’s what creates the pain because I can see where we want to go, I can feel where we want to go, and I know that the players have that same drive. So I feel responsible for it. We’re all accountable for our record.”

Or these words, following his hand-picked coach Jay Gruden’s rookie 4-12 season in 2014: “We understand 4-12 is not acceptable to our great fans and it’s not acceptable to anyone in this building. I feel awfully responsible for it. We’re going to make sure we hold everyone accountable for everything that happened.”

“We either win or lose as a team, and it is my responsibility to make sure that we have all the people in place throughout the organization doing their jobs. As I said earlier, holding those people accountable — and that includes myself, and making sure if there’s a way we can do things to help this organization to win, to get back to the basics of this great franchise — that’s what we’re going to do. That’s my job to help figure out that puzzle.”

This was, of course, the infamous “winning off the field” press conference, but there is so much more that Bruce Allen has told Redskins fans that was far more offensive — like these words, it turns out, when he introduced Scot McCloughan as the team’s new general manager one month later.

“Last year when Dan made me president of the team, we were looking for ways to improve the Washington Redskins,” he said. “It really was my responsibility to find any way we can improve the organization. What I did say last week was we were looking to add someone. We’re looking for ways to add and change what we’ve been doing. When Scot became available and said he was ready to get into the saddle, that was really a no-brainer for us to pursue someone who has that type of talent. We believe strongly that with Scot’s vision and leadership, it’s going to help the Redskins win. That is our responsibility.”

Given the developments of McCloughan’s piece-by-piece execution by the team, resulting in his firing Thursday night — it should have become clear to Redskins fans that when Allen is talking about pain, he’s talking about your pain, not his. And when he is talking about responsibility, it is to himself, not the Washington Redskins.

• Thom Loverro hosts his weekly podcast “Cigars & Curveballs” Wednesdays available on iTunes and Google Play.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/9/bruce-allen-was-supposed-be-better-vinny-cerrato/

8 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

He walked out of the building to pout. They asked him to stay away. Then he went on the record with reporters about his grandmother as the excuse for missing the combine after he was told not to speak to the press. Finally his wife posted the ring pic on twitter after her previous twitter fiasco.

I'm going to miss his wife.  If the Skins had any sense, they would have made her Director of Communications.

7 hours ago, Stoox said:

It's not about inside info. It's about common sense.

SM was drinking before he got here. He never stopped when he got hired. He admitted he was drinking. Snyderallen knew. They did nothing. This went on for 2 years.

And now all of a sudden in mid-Feb the drinking magically became a problem? Not a chance.

The drinking was a way to get him out, not the reason to get him out. And if it wasn't the drinking, then the reason was a power struggle due to competing views/agendas.

Besides, this is not about the booze. The booze never hindered SM's performance. He's a high functioning alcoholic. 

This is Bruce Allen telling SM he had power over the roster to entice him to join the org - and then telling the world SM has final roster say. Subsequently BA either did not grant it, or gradually encroached on it. As a result, SM got angry, because roster control was a major condition of his employment (see his first news conference).

Just Bruce and Dan back to their old habits...

My take fwiw.

All conjecture but the "drinking" issue seems spot on. Yes DSGA knew this was SM's MO before they hired him. It's public record that he had/has a serious issue with the bottle. He was fired from two other NFL organizations for drinking and I suspect less than stellar performance. Can't really substantiate that but it sure seems like that. NFL organizations just don't fire employees for stellar performance. He must have had an negative organizational affect.

Same here, DSBA took a shot on SM based on prior "performance" and got hoooosed. SM even admitted that he'd hasn't stopped drinking. Maybe it's impossible for him I just don't know. He never stopped and had an "organizational" affect. His draft, at least at the top, have been less than "stellar" thus far and the final judgement is yet to be turned in. Additionally, other organizational interactions certainly were affeted by his drinking. It just makes sense.

The organization probably just couldn't take the "affect" anymore and didn't want to gamble this years FA & draft outcome on SM.

Yes DS is a douche. Always has been and always will be when it comes to running the Skins. But the drinking IMO is the catalyst here. They just made the wrong bet yet again. DS has a long history of making bad bets with the skins.

Hope one day soon he tires of this and decides to sell the team.

7 minutes ago, PigskinRedskin said:

Anyone listening to Cooley?

He's going off regarding the whole drinking speculation, its a pretty good listen. 

He's a pawn in this whole ordeal.  I think folks see right through his act. 

Some of the higher ups probably gave him a script to follow for today. 

I would be optimistic and say, so what other GM candidates are out there?

But just had an A HA! moment, it won't make a bit of difference, do you know why?

Bruce and more importantly, Dan Snyder.

If Bruce is fired, he'll just hire another Bruce because he needs Yes! men to fuel his ego. The (insert GM) will be exposed to the same thing. He doesn't look out for the team. Truth be told, he doesn't careabout winning, if he did he would've sat his ass down a long time ago. 15 plus years ago in fact.

Until that egotistical man sells the team or whatever happens, as long as he owns it, The Redskins will not be successful, ever, in any shape or form.

You all can hold on hope all you want, but myself? I'm done. I've seen enough. The track record speaks for itself. My great uncle who's in his upper 70s has been a fan since Sonny days, said yesterday that he can't take it anymore. The first time i've ever heard him say that. We always watched the games. He's always clanged on hope, but he said he'd rather stop watching football all together. Gave away his season tickets today. I don't blame him.

Dan will only get worse as time passes, with his age he's stuck in his ways. It's not gonna change, not in my lifetime, not even in my future kids.

I'm not gonna be one of those fans that waits 60 plus years to see a championship like the Cubs, from an owner who honestly doesn't give af about the fans

nor the organization as a whole.

Peace be with you all, I wish you all luck, and possibly therapy in the future, from the endless disappointment that this man brings to once a great organization.

39 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

That's why I think I'm done.  Life is too short to root for a team owned and operated by a terrible terrible human being.  

I feel very similarly. In the past, I've been able to keep going with the idea that I was a fan before the little turd took over the team, and what's on the field is a separate entity from what's up in that owner's box. Now, I just don't know if I can keep that up anymore. Will wait and see how this plays out, but if they lose Kirk, too ... this franchise has really been like the Titanic for a long time, but there is no bottom of the ocean for it to finally rest on. It just keeps sinking and sinking and sinking. 

The 64 dollar question is 'now what'?

What is it with the Redskins not being able to hire a normal GM? We had Vinny, that was one nightmare, and Scot, who has a drinking problem, who never truly had a real GM job here, but seemingly was hired as a distraction or puppet.  If Scot's drinking problem was evident, where was the intervention? Where was the 'hey, you need help and we're gonna help you get through this'?

Of course the timing is the biggest head scratcher, now the responsibilities go to Allen? The very same person who had the job previously but didn't do the job worth a crap?

Seriously, ask yourself this; WHO else in their right mind would even consider coming here to be GM? After this, I can't imagine anyone wanting to step into the Allen house of horrors knowing their hands will be tied from the get-go, unless its one of Bruce's pals from the Bucs or Raiders days who thrives on submissiveness. Nothing will happen this year, so I'm sure Bruce will step up to the plate with a smile on his face.

Scot's issues were just that; issues. His problem was known before he was hired, and maybe that's why his hands were tied from the beginning, but future GMs who look in this direction will have to accept the fact that they will be hamstrung and under the thumb of Allen, and that's not a welcoming thought for anyone, which will further limit this team's ability to improve.  It will be Allen who chooses the players, and his views of what he envisions the team to be like, so take a look at what he did in Tampa or Oakland and you will see the direction this team is heading, and its not good.

I think If I was a potential GM..I would makr it in my Conttact that I don't answer to Allen...I am directly under Dan Snyder...and that Allen has nothing to do regarding football related stuff WHATSOEVER. He is the off field activity man and that's it. Which is what should of happened with Scot but it is what it is. I'm already 99% checked out. I turn 30 Mar 25th and my entire life being born a redskins fan has resulted in nothing but pain and heartache with a smidgen of joy once or twice. That was ST and Rg3. 

Albert Breer taking a swing

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/10/washington-redskins-scot-mccloughan-nfl-free-agency

So this one went wrong the way they usually do in Washington. It started with arguments over roles and duties within the organization—and that led to power plays over decisions. One involved whether or not to use the franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins. Another centered on allocating resources to fix the defense over the course of the 2017 offseason.

And there came a point where team president Bruce Allen took over. The reasoning will be the subject of debate, but that shift in power is ultimately, as I understand it, a major reason why McCloughan wound up sitting out the combine, which is as central to his job as any event on the NFL calendar. This time it wasn’t about ownership. It became McCloughan vs. Allen.

While McCloughan hasn’t been involved in any Redskins’ decision over the past two weeks, the team has followed his board early in free agency—safety DJ Swearinger and defensive tackles Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee were high on his list as he emphasized rebuilding the defense up the middle. Washington landed all three of those guys. And the draft board, while subject to change, also was set before he left.

Was there one thing that might have been done differently had all of this not happened? My sense is the Redskins may have made a stronger effort to keep Pierre Garcon, although even that is questionable based on how the Niners valued him.

What McCloughan’s rivals will tell you is that he leaves behind a roster that’s much more competitive at the bottom, stronger in the middle class, and sturdier overall than, perhaps, any during Snyder’s ownership of the team.

But all the optimism and goodwill, and the public trust that was restored over the past two years—the first consecutive winning seasons since Snyder bought the team—has vanished overnight. Now, the future of the franchise looks as murky as it did in that chaotic final season of Zorn.

Maybe Allen and Jay Gruden—who has proven to be a very good head coach—can steady the ship over the coming months. Maybe they can weather coordinator changes on each side of the ball, navigate a stormy situation with Kirk Cousins, and manage the attrition at the skill positions.

All I know is that as strange as the last week in Washington may seem on the surface, a closer looks at the actual issues shows many of them to look awfully familiar.

Just now, justice98 said:

I think I've mellowed on this whole melodrama.  Bruce could still salvage this thing if a few reasonable things break right. 

I agree. I can't believe our fans are reacting like this. They should have been Yankee fans during the G. Steinberger years and the Yanks still won. The Redskins will recover from this. Bottom line from a recovering alcoholic. I have lost jobs, smashed up cars and had blackouts lasting days among other things so if SM was drinking, when he knew he was a alcoholic, then he got what he deserved. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before it sinks in that you cannot pick up a drink or a drug. I hope this is it for him. If he knew he had a problem with booze and he picked up, when we needed him most, then he is a selfish jerk. It is not up to DS to fix SM it is up to SM to fix himself.

21 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Hopefully McC took a crap in the suggestion box before leaving.

That's how I would have wanted to go out. 

That wouldn't have been taken as an insult, though. Those guys absolutely LOVE turd sandwiches out there. They'd have thought SM was being classy on his way out. 

13 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

from a recovering alcoholic.

And, may I ask, one's environment, or otherwise the surroundings, are huge factors to someone with addiction, yes? 

One might say that stress, or strife, or conflict, are not helpful things to someone who uses chemicals to offset such things as stress? 

When stress becomes intertwined with the work environment, with one's colleagues, would you say volatility would surely ensue? 

Now, if someone were to purposefully inflicting stress onto someone with addiction, volatility issues, how culpable is the inflictor? 

You can blame Allen/Synder all you want. They gave SM a chance. He failed the Skins. SM needs to take responsibility. The Skins are getting a beat down from media and fans. They were never going to the benefit of the doubt because of their past. 

If this happened to any other organization, they would not have been crushed this bad. 

Bruce did lie! He wasn't going to leak info about SM issues. We knew him not being at the combine that something was up. Bruce should have never used the "grandmother" excuse. He needed to come clean. Being silent backfired. 

They covered for SM for 18 months. All this was going to come out sooner or later. 

People in the organization knew. The media heard stories. This isn't shocking. We had are fingers crossed that this was never going to happen. SM is sick and needs help.

In the end, we are Redskins fans. This talk of marching, "I'm done", etc., is just talk. 

Its a sad ending, but it was coming. It starts with SM. If you think it doesn't, you are fooling yourself.

HTTR! 

Archived