Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen, Scot McCloughlan, Jay Gruden, and all that stuff like that there

3 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

But Bruce was " jealous " and got into a " power struggle"  with him ..... after being the one who brought him here.

Yeah, doesn't make sense, now everyone is killing the Skins for hiring someone they knew had a problem and they didn't do enough to help him so the story has already spun from "The Redskins are telling lies" to "The Redskins should have done more for Scott".

If this isn't true and Scott wants to ever have a chance at another NFL job he will have to file a lawsuit against the Redskins, then we will find out the truth.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Trust me. He came out looking pretty . He hasnt had a job because hr had routinely insisted on full control of football ops, and Denver and Washington showed that he was in over his head when it came yo being football czar.

He was and still is widely accepted in NFL circles, and has friends in high places virtually everywhere. Thats how it works

Is he converting any of that goodwill into dollars or no?

7 minutes ago, SkinsRx said:

Who in their right mind would want to come in and be our GM after all this??  I think Bruce will have to officially take on that role.  That or we hire a TV commentator

Its gonna be Doug Williams I am sure. Just another puppet in the Danny brigade.

13 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Good lord, even Brewer is walking back some of his earlier rhetoric lol...

Again, best to just wait and let more and more info come into the fold, and then start parsing it all then. For now, I'm gonna concentrate on the free agents we're signing or trying to sign.

Ditto

Oh for the dailey newspaper ! I miss the days when when you had less information and thus less influence.  Too many opinions are based off of media **** storms.   The Skins have been the red headed step child for years.  Media pundits pile on when the waters are chumed with relentless  and redundant  stories. I stand bye Bruce a Dan  on this one. Alcoholism and breach of contract isn't  a conducive environment for professionals,  regardless of talent. Not acceptable at McDonald's let alone the Redskins franchise . I also do think Dan wants to win more than  any of us.  For all those ship jumpers ....just leave now...you can't handle the addiction.

I don't know what to think. 

If that last article is to be believed, it's possible a lot of the moves we attribute to Scot aren't even his to begin with. Might explain why our FA approach never really changed when he came on board.

Is it possible we may never have even seen "Scot's plan" in action? Quotes from that Russell article make it sound like fans have had a totally skewed perception of the situation for over a year. Could they have been covering for him all that time and he just never really got on his feet as the GM to begin with? 

Idk what to think. But if the above is true, then it can both be "Scot's fault" and the story about Allen being frustrated with McCloughan getting all the praise can be true, and it's not quite as ugly.

I mean, I hate to think this way...but imagine for a minute trying to help a guy and cover for him while you do his work, and yet he gets the glory for it all, while not being able to handle the job that everyone thinks he's the savior for doing. Maybe there's a middle ground between "Scot's a drunk" and "Allen is jealous and power hungry" that is explained by this series of events.

This sucks all the way around but that article has me wondering if the fans' collective view of Scot wasn't kind of a mirage all along. What a mind****.

President of the Redskins for 8 freaking years!

You fired your GM knowing his background.

Your defense sucked for your entire tenure.

You just lost 2 of your best receivers.

You have no starting running back.

You are about to lose your starting QB.

Your cupboard is bare.

Why are you STILL HERE?

Because you are the son of George Allen.

That is all!

I believe Bruce must have thought Scot wasn't that good of a GM.  He was probably watching teams plow through our porous run defense last year and thinking "I gave up control to this guy, he has major personal problems, and I'm not seeing the upside benefit."  He also was probably tired of the Brewer articles, one of which implicated he as being controlling, and Dan as "fickle."  Imagine if you went to the local paper with this info. about your employer, and they knew it was you.  How would they like it?  Unique industry, but it doesn't change the emotions.

If Snyder declared himself the GM, would he be getting the benefit of the doubt on last year's defensive personnel?

I think there's more to it than that, but it obviously wasn't working.

In the ultimate twist I cant help but wonder if the Danny and Allen hired Mccloughan just for this moment? You try to appease the fans by hiring a "real" GM. But one with serious drinking issues. So when you are done with him you can blame his issues on the problems you are facing now and assume control back with the backing of those said fans. There is no way even the piece of trash that is Snyder could be that devious. Right?

I said from the start that if the reason behind closed doors for firing ex GMSM was due to drinking issues, then I had no problem with it, even if I think ex GMSM was involved with improving the team.  It's not like he is the only good candidate for the job available out there.

Time to turn the page.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

In the ultimate twist I cant help but wonder if the Danny and Allen hired Mccloughan just for this moment? You try to appease the fans by hiring a "real" GM. But one with serious drinking issues. So when you are done with him you can blame his issues on the problems you are facing now and assume control back with the backing of those said fans. There is no way even the piece of trash that is Snyder could be that devious. Right?

Ummmmmmm.........no. They gave Scot a chance and he blew it. They tried to cover for Scot and now are getting trashed for it. This is on Scot. Bruce and Dan knew what they were getting into. 

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That was my prediction and a week later Cooley put out the drinking rumors. 

Dan is the GM of the team. Any application of lipstick to the pig doesn't change that fact. The fans need to come to terms with that reality. Once that happens, maybe he can hire competent people that involve him.

The smoke and mirrors charade only works for so long before it has to be blown up and a new charade created. He is GM for life. Deal with that reality. It's not changing. Ever.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I've considered the same, but I don't think Bruce set himself up with Scot assuming he'd fail.  It's far too risky that he'd take a bullet too.  Winning keeps everyone employed (usually).  But it is helpful to have a fall guy if things do go south.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Well, if you believe the tweets from a few journos about how they were being told months ago that Scot was going to be fired and the team would "leak" alcohol as the reason, then I suppose it is.

Now, the above could also be consistent with plans to fire a drunk who hasn't cleaned up his act for over a year.

But it could also be consistent with a scheme tied to an internal power struggle.

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I mean, I hate to think this way...but imagine for a minute trying to help a guy and cover for him while you do his work, and yet he gets the glory for it all, while not being able to handle the job that everyone thinks he's the savior for doing.

Damn...that's one helluva way to put it.

Just now, Andre The Giant said:

I believe Bruce must have thought Scot wasn't that good of a GM.  He was probably watching teams plow through our porous run defense last year and thinking "I gave up control to this guy, he has major personal problems, and I'm not seeing the upside benefit."  He also was probably tired of the Brewer articles, one of which implicated he as being controlling, and Dan as "fickle."  Imagine if you went to the local paper with this info. about your employer, and they knew it was you.  How would they like it?  Unique industry, but it doesn't change the emotions.

If Snyder declared himself the GM, would he be getting the benefit of the doubt on last year's defensive personnel?

I think there's more to it than that, but it obviously wasn't working.

Then the smart thing would have been to fire Scot as soon as the season ended, not during the combine/FA period.  The timing makes us look silly.  Also, an article stated that Scot hasn't been making any personnel decision for a few months now.  Which again makes you wonder why this wasn't done back in January.

Yeah I think the timing of this is really what is the headline grabber.  If it wasn't coming hot on the heels of free agency and the draft then it wouldn't be treated as the story it is.

If the guy was causing a mess behind closed doors, what are Allen & Snyder supposed to do?  It already sounded like they were covering for him initially in order to make things work, and give it time for him to handle his business, but once it became apparent that this kind of work environment was not conducive of remaining sober, a decision had to be made and fast.   

Archived