Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder Made His Fortune Running Mutant Slave Ring!!

Tsailand

Topic screams of attention seeking and stupidity, could you be right? Sure anything is possible but I kept waiting to see the proof you claimed you had for this thread and it never came. Surprised? You mean besides the thread being kept open? Nope I know some people like to think they were first in an ? News flash for you we already know from our past and ever other teams past that coaching changes are a part of the NFL. Brilliant observation

13 hours ago, bobandweave said:

I kept waiting to see the proof you claimed you had for this thread and it never came.

I said right in the beginning that this is speculation and I only have circumstantial evidence.

Some people have correctly pointed out that Jay is known to be on the hotseat and will either be fired or extended after the 2017 season.  I can't simply take credit if he ends up getting fired.  So, here are some specific possible events which, if they happen, I will take as further evidence that my theory was correct:

* Kirk is traded away from the Redskins in 2017 and we go with a journeyman or project QB.  This is very unlikely to happen, but if it did I would take it as a sign that they aren't even pretending to give a **** about Jay or the 2017 season.  (note: a one year tag or a long term deal could mean multiple things so I wouldn't take those as evidence one way or the other)

* Credible rumors come out that Jay wanted to go get a proven OC or DC but the front office overruled him to promote from within. I know that the phrase "credible rumors" is normally an oxymoron, but with this organization it is a way of life.

* Credible rumors that Synder is buddy-buddy with a particular head coaching possiblilty, while the Redskins have a decent record.  If we're 1-7, yes they should start the search.  But if we're 4-4 and Jay is already a Zorny lame duck, that's a horrible sign.

* Redskins have another winning season in 2017 and Jay gets fired anyway. Self explanatory when you consider our history for the last 25 years.  Extra bonus if we win a playoff game and he gets fired.

* Scott gets fired.  Even if it's justified (alcoholism), it's a sign of further change coming very soon.

And here is what will prove me wrong:

* Jay gets extended before the 2017 season, or early on in the season.

Interesting off-season speculative thread.  

As an aside, I've noted how the threads of the off-season following the Skins making the playoffs, have tended to be extremely optimistic.  In contrast, those off-season threads following the Skins failure to make the playoffs tend to be more of a "doom&gloom, blow it up" nature. I'll grant that all the shakeup in the Skins coaching structure ( as well as a poorly communicated change in roles of the Skins FO/media relations responsibilities) has added more fuel to this off-season's postings of the doom&gloom variety.

So.... while it's hard to predict much right now, I thought I'd offer up my "two cents" worth of thoughts on Gruden's future as the Skins HC.

1.  The release of Barry and other defensive coaches, probably buys more time for Gruden.  (It also removes one of Jay's excuses for when he loses the close games, and shines a light on how well he can put together an effective staff, and get his players ready to give their A-games.)

2.  The departure of McVay intensifies scrutiny on Gruden's play-calling.  What happens if there are too many times in 2017 when Gruden has to go up to the podium, and concede that they were out-coached?

3.  People are already focused (rightly or wrongly) on whether Cousins can deliver in the clutch games and if he's the QB the Skins should be hitching the franchise's star to.  These very same concerns are already being applied to whether the  Skins should cement a long-term relationship with Gruden as well. 

4. The public's perception of Snyder's history of prematurely releasing HCs may actually buy Gruden more time -- perhaps even the entire 2017 season to make his case that he is the guy the Skins need to keep for HC.  Gruden lost one full year with Griffin's struggles at QB, but over his next two years Jay did show he could provide somewhat palatable results with a decent QB but with a suspect defense.  What can he show in 2017?   

5.  If in 2017 the Skins keep the QB and upgrade the defense, Gruden needs to show he can coach the team into the playoffs and win at the playoff level -- or there'll be strong pressure from within the Skins FO to upgrade the talent at HC.  Gruden has indicated that his group continues to improve with each game -- but by the 3/4 mark of the 2017 season, he'll really need to have proved he's "arrived".

6.  If in 2017 the Skins didn't retain Cousins, --then Gruden needs to show his system makes QBs look somewhat decent and that to the point that Gruden-coached teams can at least deliver palatable results due to an improved defense.  If Gruden could groom a decent replacement for Cousins, and keep the offense playing near its late 2015 and 2016 level -- that might get Gruden a short extension.

I like Dan Snyder. He only wants one thing...get us a new ring. Sure he made some mistakes in the past, but if you buy a team for a boat load of money...you want to take controle. He now took a step back and it resulted in wins. 

Only probleme we might have is that we brought in a ''football guy'' as GM and the guy is not hitting the picks out of the park neither is he resigning our QB. I could see Dan getting a meltdown when Kirk just walks away at some point and  Scot keeps missing on FA's and do mewh on draft picks. He then might go back to what is the most fun, do it yourself. Play fantasy football. 

On 2/15/2017 at 0:22 PM, PigskinRedskin said:

Actually, my theory is much more plausible as I have breathed in the some oxygen as Snyder: Dan is selling the team to Matt Groening and we're going to be re-named the Washington Benders and field a team of robots.

Sorry, Futurama is on in the background.

If it means no more Snyder I would take it in a heartbeat. He could sell the team to anyone else in the world and I would approve. Besides I hear Homer Simpson throws a mean out pattern.

5 hours ago, Wyvern said:

I've noted how the threads of the off-season following the Skins making the playoffs, have tended to be extremely optimistic.  In contrast, those off-season threads following the Skins failure to make the playoffs tend to be more of a "doom&gloom, blow it up" nature.

When we've missed the playoffs before, it's been because we were a 4-12 dumpster fire.  Missing the playoffs with a winning record is a new experience for the Redskins. 

I haven't heard fans clamoring to blow it all up this time.  However, we have legitimate worry because we're in the process of losing the very best parts of the team: OC, QB, WR1a, WR1b. Without those guys last year, we really would be 4-12 or worse. Furthermore, I see the signs that Synder is getting ready to blow it all up again, which will be really bad for our chances of winning for the foreseeable future.

Scott is flawed, Jay is certainly flawed.  Kirk is going to be extremely expensive.  Nevertheless, the right move is to keep building on what we have rather than start over yet again.

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

He could sell the team to anyone else in the world and I would approve

What if he sold it to Jerry Jones and the NFL made a special exception to allow him to own both teams?

I think this is ludicrous.  But,that said, who could that big-name coach be?

Clearly Jon won't come here to replace Jay.  Gibbs is not coming back.  We've already had Shanahan.

Let's look at the SB coaches for the last number of years:

Bill B. - No comment.

Kubiac - Health issues, he's not that good a coach, and he has ties to Shanahan, who would tell him to stay away

Pete Carroll - Nope

John Harbaugh - Nope

Tom Coughlin - He's also 759 years old. And has a FO job in Jax.

Mike McCarthy - Nope

Sean Payton - Now, there are rumors that he was going to leave the Saints.  but he's under contract, so not likely any discussions ongoing.

Mike Tomlin - Nope.

Tony Dungy - I mean, very doubtful. 

Cowher - He's been out of the league forever. 

Jon Grunden - Nope

Brian Billick - I can't imagine that Billick ranks in the category of coaches you're waiting on.

That takes you into the 1990's

There's literally NOT a big name coach out there that is unemployed or viable. 

On 2/15/2017 at 8:43 AM, Lloyds' Mongolian Beef said:

I remember when we were considered a very knowledgeable fanbase. I honestly can't tell the difference anymore between trolling and absolute stupidity. 

Internet gives everyone a voice.  High, low. Left, right. Logical and illogical.

I'll say this, we screw up this Cousins thing, nothing would shock me.

On 2/15/2017 at 7:57 AM, Tsailand said:

Strap on your tinfoil hats kids, it's time for another one of these "special" threads, brought to you by the same guy who started the "Time to move on from RG3" thread back in January 2013.

Seriously though, I see a troubling pattern in what our front office has done since the season ended, a pattern that leads me to believe that we are in for another Washington Redskins Coaching Change.  This is speculation, not proven fact, but I'll give my theory and then the evidence -- circumstantial evidence -- and let the reader decide.

* Snyder is dissatisfied with how the team has performed over the last two years.  This is ridiculous, given that he's never had two winning seasons in a row before, but Snyder is a ridiculous man.  He is like the most impatient fans, who see an average team that for two years has barely finished over 500, and not been truly playoff caliber, and think it is no better than the previous 15 years of being horrible.  So rather than wait for gradual improvement, he is ready to blow it all up again.

* Snyder blames Gruden for the failures of the past two years.  Part of this is based on Gruden's in-game mistakes (there are plenty of those to criticize) and part of it is that Snyder thinks the team is talented enough to do better, if only Gruden wasn't holding them back (idiotic, two years of Scott GMing isn't enough to fix the previous decade of Snyder as GM)

* Snyder doesn't give Kirk enough credit for the success the offense has had over the last two years.  He thinks there are about 20 other NFL QBs who could do as well or better with the same O-line and receivers, not even counting the college QBs who could develop to Kirk's level within two or three years after being drafted. He doesn't want to pay $25M/year for Kirk, because he doesn't think he's worth that much.

(How do I know all this, am I a mind reader?  No, but I've been watching this mother****er run the team for almost 20 years, so I know how he thinks.  It's not pretty.)

* Snyder has been talking for some time now to a former NFL HC, someone who would return to coaching for the the right price and under the right conditions.  These have not been hiring negotiations, just ongoing informal discussions about the team and its direction and what could be done better.

* Snyder is strongly considering firing Jay after the 2017 season, and giving this man the job.  He will of course have total control of the coaching staff, but also final say in personnel decisions, senior to Scott and equal to Bruce.  This is why we have been promoting from within to replace OC and DC -- the next HC is going to shake things up in a year, so no sense hiring new coordinators on long term guaranteed deals.

* The next coach doesn't want Kirk.  More precisely, he doesn't want Kirk's record breaking contract sitting on his books for the next five years.  He wants to build his own team. He will bring in a veteran QB to run the offense in 2018, and draft a QB in the first round to start in 2019 and beyond.  Snyder knows this, so he won't allow Scott to offer Kirk the deal he wants.  The second franchise tag is fine, as there's no longer term cap hit, and we need something to keep fans in seats for 2017.

* After Jay is fired, he and his brother will go coach another team together.  They will do OK.  Not great.  Just better than the Redskins.

As crazy as this theory sounds and it is very far fetched...it makes a small ounce of sense. Small. 

There is one former coach that still wants to get back into the game and HAS worked with scot successfully on 2 previous teams: Seattle and GB. 

This coach at first had a difficult relationship with Dan but the relationship has matured. 

mike Holmgren....

If Snyder hires a new coach then this franchise will be set back for a long time.  This fan base is tired of starting over so many times.  This off season is critical for what happens in the future.  If I am Cousins, I want to see who my receivers will be and how the defense will look.   I would only sign for one year so that if the team is bad then I have an escape route the following year.   If Cousins leaves, then our head coach probably will not get his contract renewed.  The OP theory I hope will be proved wrong.  The following year Kirk can go to 49ers but he will not have any decent offensive linemen to help him have time to throw and no decent receivers to catch the ball either.

There's a lot of logic in the first post.  I've thought similar.  I think Kirk is the best answer at QB we've had since Gus Frerortte.   I mean we have literally had NOONE other than Trent Green worth extending at QB in all that time.  Not Jason Campbell, not Griffin, Not brunnel, not Mathews or Wuerfuell.  And Gus was a textbook journeyman.  I think Kirk is better, but if we don't sign him long term, I'm not sure I'll watch ANYTHING after preseason, because this team is going to regress again, a few more FAs will be gone, the team will have a strong core, sure, but it will start over again witha  new HC/OC/DC and QB.

I'm not looking forward to that at all, but I think unless Jay pulls an Andy Reid and finds a way to get us to the NFC Title game, he's done.

Not sure that's fair honestly.

What I found troubling is who filled the OC and DC spots. I get some teams like the Pats typically fill coaching vacancies from within, but that's a completely different situation. Looking at New England they have a successful model and when one coach leaves to retain continuity they promote someone who knows that system. 

Joe Barry got fired because he was bad. He was replaced by the LBs coach from that safe defense in Greg Manusky. I get that Manusky's experience goes beyond just one year under Barry, but at the end of the day I feel like this was a very cost effective hiring with minimal long term commitment. 

From the OC spot I'm a little less concerned about Matt Cavanaugh because this is Jay Gruden's system, so whomever has that title is somewhat having limited duties of what a typical OC is. Either way, this also strikes me as a very cost effective hiring with minimal long term commitment. . 

Also, if the team doesn't make the playoffs and regresses in terms of record Snyder would be justified in cleaning house. 

3 hours ago, Unbias said:

Also, if the team doesn't make the playoffs and regresses in terms of record Snyder would be justified in cleaning house. 

What if we go into the season with no Kirk, or without replacements for Jackson and Garcon?  What if the defense still has no talent? What if we find out later that Gruden wanted a different, more expensive, DC?

Archived